55 minutes ago, Davechipp74 said:

Anything you get aboard don't hide it in your room, that's rookie. Hide it really good in a common area (that is if they even search while the ship at port on Bermuda or Bahamas which I have never seen.)

I have seen them searching the ship in Bermuda. They have been doing it for years. It gets reported in their local news which I have been reading for years. There have been many caught. A recent example.

https://www.royalgazette.com/court/news/article/20230607/cruise-passenger-fined-1000-for-cannabis-aboard-ship/

And they do get disembarked. In some articles it is reported that drug dogs found the drugs. In some crew members reported passengers. 

Hiding it in a common area, well good luck with that. Stupid is as stupid does.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davechipp74 said:

Anything you get aboard don't hide it in your room, that's rookie. Hide it really good in a common area (that is if they even search while the ship at port on Bermuda or Bahamas which I have never seen.)

Given the number of cameras onboard I’d say this is a really bad idea.  You have no idea what’s visible on their security monitors. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Davechipp74 said:

This made me think of the airport security scene from the movie Get Him to the Greek. 

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

This made me think of the airport security scene from the movie Get Him to the Greek. 

I’m waiting for someone to channel Beverly Hills Cop and suggest hiding them in a bag of coffee grounds. 

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I feel like I'm going to get flamed, but I'll try anyway.  What is the RCI policy on pot products?  I sometimes enjoy a gummy to relax.  I don't really really seeing a lot of drug sniffing dogs working the crowd at boarding on past cruises.  Anyone have any experience with this?  If I throw a bag in my carry-on should I have any issues?

16 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I was aware what is and is not "legal" and "permitted" as well.  I wasn't looking to justify it, and frankly, I'm not concerned what a bunch of keyboard warriors on the internet think about my considering this clearly appalling malfeasance.  I was just looking for people's actual experiences and direct knowledge.  As stated, the fact that on occasion, they have been very aggressive and harsh with the consequences has sold me on passing on this idea completely. 

Fascinating study in how absolutely miserable most people on these forums are that we are now on page four of people offering their unsolicited pontifications and indignity.😅

You've been a member of CC for 10 years and should have known the type of response in advance of your original post.  That said you got a myriad of responses from what could happen, to those asking why isn't it legal.  That's what you get on CC.  

If you want to take them go for it.  At least you now know the worst and best case outcomes from the responses.  Report back so others who might be curious know the outcome.

9 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

You've been a member of CC for 10 years and should have known the type of response in advance of your original post.  That said you got a myriad of responses from what could happen, to those asking why isn't it legal.  That's what you get on CC.  

If you want to take them go for it.  At least you now know the worst and best case outcomes from the responses.  Report back so others who might be curious know the outcome.

Well said, and you're totally correct. I should know better than to take the bait.  But I actually try and spend far less time on message boards and social media in general these days because the pathetic toxicity (as demonstrated by so many of the responses here) is such a bastardization of the real world.  Unfortunately, sometimes I take the bait!

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

I’m waiting for someone to channel Beverly Hills Cop and suggest hiding them in a bag of coffee grounds. 

And when the authorities show up, they can do "the banana in the tailpipe trick".

• Haha 3

On 1/29/2024 at 2:08 PM, leisuretraveler223 said:

I feel like I'm going to get flamed, but I'll try anyway.  What is the RCI policy on pot products?  I sometimes enjoy a gummy to relax.  I don't really really seeing a lot of drug sniffing dogs working the crowd at boarding on past cruises.  Anyone have any experience with this?  If I throw a bag in my carry-on should I have any issues?

Just mix with regular candy....they will never know!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This always makes me SMDH.  If the cruise lines, if the ports of call, etc state it's not allowed, moreover, illegal, why do insist on doing it?  

Kicked off the ship would be the least of what would happen.

Personally, I don't care if you're Willie Nelson.  Do whatever you want.  No matter to me.  But, if faced with the idea of the cruise lines prohibiting it, the ports and cities you'll visit prohibiting it, why even do it?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

This always makes me SMDH.  If the cruise lines, if the ports of call, etc state it's not allowed, moreover, illegal, why do insist on doing it?  

Well, that's why I asked. We do not live in a binary world. There are degrees of malfeasance and degrees of consequence.  If the response had been "yeah, it's not allowed. But if they find it, they just confiscate it or discard it and you go on with your trip", then I might have considered it.

Furthermore, at no time did I "insist" on doing it.  I simply made an inquiry. 

But, I guess you do live in a binary world, where something is either right or wrong and you would never ever land on the improper side of that? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Edibles are not allowed, and there was a heightened level of inspection that started last season for the Alaska bound ships out of Seattle - both for checked and carry-on luggage.  It was crazy how many passengers’ bags were flagged, and how many passengers were asked to return off the ship to the security screening back inside the terminal.  Security was not fooling around.

Bringing any contraband isn’t worth it.

Stupid move people. Plus you can just buy weed in most ports in Alaska or Canada and use it there before getting back onboard. I know a few people who did this on my first cruise. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Well, that's why I asked. We do not live in a binary world. There are degrees of malfeasance and degrees of consequence.  If the response had been "yeah, it's not allowed. But if they find it, they just confiscate it or discard it and you go on with your trip", then I might have considered it.

But, I guess you do live in a binary world, where something is either right or wrong and you would never ever land on the improper side of that? 

BUT...  In many of the countries where the ships port (not to mention where they are flagged), this IS a binary matter. Drugs such as those are banned and can get you locked up abroad. The penalty is not just a little slap on the wrist in many other countries.

And ship personnel are not going to just turn a blind eye, because if your stash is discovered and even moreso that they let it slip by them, the entire ship, management, etc. faces fines. It's come up on Below Deck (I think the main one, but maybe Med) and that maritime law applies to ships of all sizes.

(Also important to check your prescription medications as some that are legal here in the States are illegal in other countries. Possibly some OTC stuff as well.)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Like I said, I really don't care.  I don't even know what a "binary world" is.

You asked what the policy is.  We answered.  It's not allowed by the cruise line, the countries they visit nor the ports they dock in.

The degree of "wrongness" I suppose is determined by the cruise line and the country/port you're visiting.  Is it a simple "we're kicking you off the ship"?  Or is it "we're kicking you off the ship and trying you over to the local authorities"?  

Can you get away with it?  Maybe.  Will you get caught?  Possibly.  If you do get caught, nothing good will happen....and, potentially, something very bad will happen.

But, just to emphasize the answer to the question you posed, it's not allowed on any cruise line I'm aware of.  And, it's illegal according to the Federal Gov't!

Worth it to "relax"?  

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Like I said, I really don't care.  I don't even know what a "binary world" is.

It is obvious that OP is upset with the thread they started because they don't like the facts which in this instance are binary. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

It is obvious that OP is upset with the thread they started because they don't like the facts which in this instance are binary. 

I took it as asking "will I get thrown off the ship, or will the gummies just be confiscated?" rather than being upset for not liking facts.

If anything, some of your responses seem more hostile than the OP's.

The OP has said on numerous occasions that given the consequences, they aren't going to do it.  Maybe you missed those responses.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Yes, we're a tough crowd and heavy on the schadenfreude.  I feel bad for those first time cruisers who wander here innocently asking about power strips and steamers, only to be accused of wanting to burn the ship down.

• Haha 2

I can't begin to count how many times we've been on our balcony, and gotten a whiff.  They got it on there somehow, and no one came to their room, threw them in jail, no dogs, nothing.  

It's a risk some deem worthy of taking.  Your choice.

I'm leaving the "special chocolates" at home for my Sunday evening baths.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Stupid move people. Plus you can just buy weed in most ports in Alaska or Canada and use it there before getting back onboard. I know a few people who did this on my first cruise. 

This seems to be the perfect compromise.  If it is legal in the port, partake in the fun if so desired. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

I took it as asking "will I get thrown off the ship, or will the gummies just be confiscated?" rather than being upset for not liking facts.

If anything, some of your responses seem more hostile than the OP's.

The OP has said on numerous occasions that given the consequences, they aren't going to do it.  Maybe you missed those responses.

Bingo!  Thank you!  I'm not upset at all. I do find the lecturing and pontificating a little funny.

• Like 5

I know an older person who doesn't cruise often who brought gummies along having no idea they were banned. For back pain relief. They gave their bag to the porter, it arrived at the cabin, no issues. In their original packaging lol.

It's bold to bring smokable forms but I too have smelled it on balconies many times. 

I often wonder about the drug sniffing dogs in places with legal weed. If you sat in your car and smoked a joint before boarding, wouldn't that dog smell it? Many people go to the weed bars in Alaska ports. It's just not a big deal anymore.

11 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Well said, and you're totally correct. I should know better than to take the bait.  But I actually try and spend far less time on message boards and social media in general these days because the pathetic toxicity (as demonstrated by so many of the responses here) is such a bastardization of the real world.  Unfortunately, sometimes I take the bait!

Makes for great discussion and Iove reading all the answers ranging from "Go for it, It's a victimless crime"  to "You are the worst person in the world for even thinking about it" 🙂

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2024 at 8:20 AM, leisuretraveler223 said:

I honestly have trouble thinking they're going to actually kick off a couple of unremarkable 50 year-olds for having a pack of gummies in their luggage.  

I suspect the chances of getting caught are fairly slim, and the chances of being kicked off are fairly slim -- but it's too much risk for me.  This could lead to an arrest, and that could affect your life in numerous ways.  Too much risk.