Regent Grandeur

31 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

I've chosen one of the aft-facing G2's. Any comments?

We had three adults in aft facing G2 on Explorer.  No issues with room but balcony has steel railing so you couldn’t see the water when sitting on balcony.  Long walk to get to compass rose. 

17 hours ago, Knottheads said:

We are currently in 636.  We hear our neighbors on both sides, so the insulation is a problem as far as I’m concerned.  

The insulation isn't the problem. The neighbors are.  😅

I'd rather have the art. 

Edited by GMIAC
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GMIAC said:

The insulation isn't the problem. The neighbors are.  😅

I'd rather have the art. 

It doesn’t appear the neighbors are talking very loudly - seems like normal conversation.  Pillow talk at 6am. 

I sailed on GRANDEUR last month in an D Concierge on Deck 8.  Heard nothing from either side.  Had a Penthouse Suite on one side maybe that helped?  

Sailing on her again next month so we shall see if there is any difference.  I’ll bring some good ear plugs anyway just in case.  I absolutely love the ship but agree cabin sound proofing is important.  The same specs should have been used as on SPLENDOR and EXPLORER.  All were built by Fincanteri in Italy.  EXPLORER at Genova and SPLENDOR/GRANDEUR at Ancona.  Maybe something changed with the offsite cabin manufacturer.  Remember most cabins except the largest suites are constructed off site and slid into place on the ship.  

Edited by eroller

22 hours ago, eroller said:

The same specs should have been used as on SPLENDOR and EXPLORER.  All were built by Fincanteri in Italy.

You may recall that there were some issues with fireproof insulation not being up to spec at Fincanteri. Maybe the substitute material was not as soundproof.

23 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

You may recall that there were some issues with fireproof insulation not being up to spec at Fincanteri. Maybe the substitute material was not as soundproof.

I do recall reading that, in fact a couple ships were delayed because of it.  So yes that could very well be the reason.  Something appears to be different that is for sure.  

I don’t think I’ll be bothered much by it, at least I hope not.  It’s a shame though because I consider GRANDEUR about as close to ship perfection as you can get.  

Edited by eroller

Hope everyone is reviewing their suites for this whether positive or negative on Suite Guru, since this seems to be a criteria people will consider on Grandeur from now on.

Pinned post at top of Regent board. Read the first post to learn how to submit a review to the spreadsheet.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

Does the soundproofing issue seem to be mainly in below penthouse cabins?  

Here's my "Hypothesis"... and it's completely devoid of any facts!  🤪

The soundproofing material used by the builder was the "same" throughout all the suite spaces.  They didn't use one type (i.e., "better") in the upper suites vs. a different type (i.e., "inferior") in the lower level suites.  But since the higher-level suites are also larger (more square footage), they dissipate the sounds from adjoining suites better than the smaller suites.  So it makes it "seem" like the "upper suites" are quieter, even though the same sound proofing material inside the walls is exactly the same throughout the ship.  Sound levels dissipate with distance from the source.  That's my own "SWAG".  ((Stupid Wild-A Guess)).  Regards

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly, y'all are overthinking the soundproofing issue.  As I said somewhere on here, we were on Grandeur a few weeks ago and we only heard our neighbors from one side, the side with the couch, and only a couple times, and I was sitting on the couch as, apparently, was my neighbor.  My wife could barely hear them (if at all) from the bed. The couches were back to back with only a wall separating them so I heard him talking (since I was also on the couch) and barely his wife answering from across the room.  We were traveling with friends who were on our other side, the side with the tv.  We never heard them and they never heard us or the tv.  

But bottom line, if you have neighbors that are excessively loud at times when you're trying to sleep, simply let them know politely and I bet they'll make the effort to be quieter.  

But I'll say this, I loved Grandeur and the soundproof issue was so minor that it won't even factor into my decision to book again.  

Just sayin'. 

• Like 2

As always, everyone’s experience differs so each person needs to draw their own conclusions and how they choose to respond. This isn’t a one off report as several have reported it, so I choose to accept that it is an issue. Having said that it wouldn’t stop me from cruising with Regent although my next couple of trips are with other cruise lines because of the itineraries they offer and the timing of those itineraries.

19 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Honestly, y'all are overthinking the soundproofing issue.  As I said somewhere on here, we were on Grandeur a few weeks ago and we only heard our neighbors from one side, the side with the couch, and only a couple times, and I was sitting on the couch as, apparently, was my neighbor.  My wife could barely hear them (if at all) from the bed. The couches were back to back with only a wall separating them so I heard him talking (since I was also on the couch) and barely his wife answering from across the room.  We were traveling with friends who were on our other side, the side with the tv.  We never heard them and they never heard us or the tv.  

But bottom line, if you have neighbors that are excessively loud at times when you're trying to sleep, simply let them know politely and I bet they'll make the effort to be quieter.  

But I'll say this, I loved Grandeur and the soundproof issue was so minor that it won't even factor into my decision to book again.  

Just sayin'. 

Amen. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Just sayin'. 

We disembarked on Monday (Consierge 963). Like you, we could only hear our neighbours when sitting on the sofa. I wonder if the Consierge suites seem to have less noise problems because the beds are against the dressing room wall, not the wall between adjoining rooms.

I'm with the Senior Flamingo on this one.  We were on Grandeur in December, never heard the cabin occupants on one side, spirited conversation did filter in from the love seat side.  Honestly, I don't know if my antennae would have been so active had I not already read about the issue on this board(the good and ills of social media.)  Anyway, after a 16 day cruise, it was so minor for us that we've booked a BtB on Grandeur for next December.

Even if an issue the potential remedies are many: ear plugs, a white noise machine, one(more) last one in the Meridian Lounge(my preference.)

• Like 2

Absolutely love the ship.  No issues my first time sailing, and I’ll take my chances a second time next month.  

I’ve sailed almost 150 cruises on too many ships and lines to mention.  Yes some are better soundproofed than others.  Actually much better today overall than ships constructed in the 70’s.  Cheap cheap cheap.  I think that was a low point.  Still none were so bad I wouldn’t sail any of them again.  

• Like 1