Just reached Diamond, is it better to book with Royal or use a Travel Agent

Hello All, 

DH and I just reached Diamond and are looking forward to booking our first cruise at that level. We've had 2 different TA's we've gone with in the past and never used Royal directly for our past bookings. Now that we're Diamond is it better to book with Royal directly to make sure we get any/all eligible discounts, or can we just stay with our 'regular' TA's? Is there much of a difference one way or the other? 

Any advice appreciated. 

Thanks

You are more likely to be able to get your diamond balcony discount booking with a TA. I found usually other discounts supersede your balcony discount when booking direct. A travel agent might have group space where your diamond balcony discount is applicable.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

You are more likely to be able to get your diamond balcony discount booking with a TA. I found usually other discounts supersede your balcony discount when booking direct. A travel agent might have group space where your diamond balcony discount is applicable.

Exactly find a TA with group rates and you get your balcony discount. Booking direct usually the discount is higher and you dont get it. Sometimes a little cheaper, sometimes a lot cheaper. But refundable.

It does make a difference booking direct or not. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, runner2013 said:

Hello All, 

DH and I just reached Diamond and are looking forward to booking our first cruise at that level. We've had 2 different TA's we've gone with in the past and never used Royal directly for our past bookings. Now that we're Diamond is it better to book with Royal directly to make sure we get any/all eligible discounts, or can we just stay with our 'regular' TA's? Is there much of a difference one way or the other? 

Any advice appreciated. 

Thanks

If you book on board, you get a level $ of OBC and you can transfer to your TA within the 30 days and get whatever perks the TA is offering.

Ps.  Be sure that you do a mock booking to familiarize with the pricing details.

Edited by nelblu

28 minutes ago, nelblu said:

If you book on board, you get a level $ of OBC and you can transfer to your TA within the 30 days and get whatever perks the TA is offering.

Ps.  Be sure that you do a mock booking to familiarize with the pricing details.

I only booked once onboard.

Took me a while but I finally understand if I book a inside I actually lose $25 obc,  I'd get $50 from booking the group rate ahead of time not combinable. For a balcony I got $75, so I gained $25. I usually just book when I find something, no patience. I'd love a JS, but the nonrefundable is a no from me. So right now just book whatever my TA has group rates for. Actually my favorite is aft view but all those arent group rates :(   

Maybe last minute after I move I'll treat myself. But afraid of nonrefundable too far out so I stick to group rates. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, runner2013 said:

Hello All, 

Any advice appreciated. 

Thanks

Status doesn’t matter but you will always pay more booking direct. Find a TA offering group pricing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

"Level $ of Obc" meaning?

We grouped travel agents into four categories, based on individual needs:

Book Online at RCI - They are their own TA! Reservation management is handled directly with their call center. Convenient!

Boutique/Niche TA - personalized experience, a name you know, sometimes with group sailings and incentives.

Big Box TA - OBC OBC OBC! Most incentives available, but you're dealing with a toll free number for support. 

Unicorn TA - This is that super secret combo between your boutique TA and your big box TA. Personalized service and the max incentives! Go forth and travel!

All four have their advantages. I think over time most of us landed on a Unicorn, but many people here prefer the convenience of booking direct. The do-it-yourselfers love the big box guys. Something for everyone!

If you booking using future cruise on board, be careful as you may not get to pick the room. And you may not find out until right before the cruise. I did this once and did not like the room location. I usually book on line thru RCL but TAs do specialize in RCL, but never quoted a better price. TAs are best when adding air and hotels at foreign ports. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's funny how TA questions keep coming up.  Every time I look into various on line TA, the prices are exactly the same as Royal.  To the penny.   These places that supposedly have group rates- where are they?  And do they have group rates for JS or higher?  

The other thing that stopped us many years ago, a group rate balcony made it really difficult to upgrade post final payment to a reasonably JS.  

But if anyone has tips on finding a TA, please post them.  I ask that in various places, and can't seem to find them.  

I'll keep looking, but unless I can find a TA that actually will look out for us all the time, I'll just stick to doing it ourselves.  

1 hour ago, ShipDawg said:

If you booking using future cruise on board, be careful as you may not get to pick the room. And you may not find out until right before the cruise. I did this once and did not like the room location. I usually book on line thru RCL but TAs do specialize in RCL, but never quoted a better price. TAs are best when adding air and hotels at foreign ports. 

Most TAs do not even book air or hotels any longer. That AAA TA model is over with as TAs specializing in cruises have grown. Once again, you will always pay more when not using a TA who offers group rates and/or offer OBC for booking with them.

39 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

It's funny how TA questions keep coming up.  Every time I look into various on line TA, the prices are exactly the same as Royal.  To the penny.   These places that supposedly have group rates- where are they?  And do they have group rates for JS or higher?  

The other thing that stopped us many years ago, a group rate balcony made it really difficult to upgrade post final payment to a reasonably JS.  

But if anyone has tips on finding a TA, please post them.  I ask that in various places, and can't seem to find them.  

I'll keep looking, but unless I can find a TA that actually will look out for us all the time, I'll just stick to doing it ourselves.  

Quick follow up

Earlier I compared RCI to Delta to others, and every search engine was the same, and the costs were the same.

Just looked at the aaa, and, again, exactly the same price.

Just submitted a request for quote from a small TA, we will see what we get.  But so far, it's the exact same price with no actual additional benefits.

We've found that the price is generally the same whether you book direct or with a TA. I think with a TA you can gain other things that you can't by booking direct. We do most of our booking on board and then transfer the reservation to our TA and she handles everything for us from there. The advantage of booking on board is usually lower deposit and depending on sales, sometimes added OBC.

Most of the time we also get an added OBC from the TA. Not much, perhaps anywhere from $25 to $100 on top of any OBC offered by Royal. The big plus is that sometimes the TA will have a "group" and transfer us into a group. For instance, we just booked a cruise on board for $3600 for two of us with a $200 deposit. After we got home our TA said she had a group booking for the exact same cabin for a whopping $1400 less but we had to send her the full deposit ($300 more to make it $500). NO brainer, we transferred our booking to the group. 

We've had other instances of lower prices in the past due to groups with some weird math (losing the on board booking OBC in exchange for a much lower price overall).

So in our experience, we believe a good TA is a must and booking on board is best.

Edited by 2chiefs
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We have done both. I used to prefer booking direct, but now it is not as easy to get a dedicated agent to handle everything. I think TA's are valuable in their experiences and tips as they have a wide resource network and if they know you well enough may provide more information that is personally applicable to you and your cruising style. Either way your going on vacation so it's a win-win in my eyes.

So with all the very good information here I have a question. Many comments in this thread mention "group rates". How do you find these rates without asking an agent. It seems like searching for a needle in a haystack.

5 hours ago, alfaeric said:

And do they have group rates for JS or highe

Royal does not offer group rates for JS snd above.  Group rates are only offered for select categories for double occupancy (some Icon sailings were available for triples snd quads but thet was the only exception)

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Quick follow up

Earlier I compared RCI to Delta to others, and every search engine was the same, and the costs were the same.

Just submitted a request for quote from a small TA, we will see what we get.  But so far, it's the exact same price with no actual additional benefits.

It all depends on what category you are looking at.  There are TA"s out there with group rates on nearly all sailings, just not all categories.  

• Like 1

Go on a cruise… say to everyone you meet “How did you book your cruise?” Some will say a travel agent or agency, if they say they get group cruise rates or large OBC 

ask for the name of the agency, website and person.

by the twenty-ninth person you meet you will find a good agent or you will get punched in the mouth for asking your annoying questions. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Go on a cruise… say to everyone you meet “How did you book your cruise?” Some will say a travel agent or agency, if they say they get group cruise rates or large OBC 

ask for the name of the agency, website and person.

This, but if you are able start in D or D+ lounge at happy hour. We learned so much over the years from those willing to share info. 

On 2/5/2024 at 3:17 PM, alfaeric said:

Quick follow up

Another follow up- just got a quote from a cruise centric TA, and got the same price again, with no additional benefits or additions.  

As people have pointed out to me- no group rates for suites.  

One other addition, Delta had a sale where their price was the same as what I would get with the C&A discount.  Which isn't a sale for us.

The only thing we would get by using the right TA would be additional credit card points.  Other than that, there's no real benefit.  But that is a pretty significant benefit that would help future travel.

I still use a TA,  even though I do most of the planning on my own.   If there are changes to itineraries or a cruise gets cancelled, the TAs get notified before we do (in my experience), and that extra time is invaluable for making changes. I also don't like dealing with the people who handle the phones for Royal; I have found them to be frustrating.  But I know people who have had excellent luck and use "their" specific sales agent.
Some TA's can get you extra perks or send a bottle of champagne to your cabin.
But all of this is personal choice. 

If you have a good relationship with a TA, I'd stick with them.  Otherwise, it probably doesn't hurt to try going a different route.

59 minutes ago, mconthehighseas said:

I still use a TA,  even though I do most of the planning on my own.   If there are changes to itineraries or a cruise gets cancelled, the TAs get notified before we do (in my experience), and that extra time is invaluable for making changes. I also don't like dealing with the people who handle the phones for Royal; I have found them to be frustrating.  But I know people who have had excellent luck and use "their" specific sales agent.
Some TA's can get you extra perks or send a bottle of champagne to your cabin.
But all of this is personal choice. 

If you have a good relationship with a TA, I'd stick with them.  Otherwise, it probably doesn't hurt to try going a different route.

I feel exactly the same way as this person wrote.

• Like 1