I know, another tip thread.

As you know tips are up AGAIN! $18 per day per person and even more for suites

Looked for a breakdown on where the auto tips go and could only find the breakdown before the newest hike. Apparently Royal's new little secret.

Stateroom attendant $3.55

Dining room $5.95

This is the tip breakdown in 2004 and I was shocked.

"RCI recommends: a minimum of $3.50 per day per person to the cabin attendant, $3.50 per day per person to the waiter and $2.00 per day per person to the assistant waiter", $9 per day per person

Almost the same as today as 20 years ago? How can that be right?

The big difference in total cost now is the extra $6.50+ pp per day that Royal charges and calls "Other Hotel Services"

I assume that those tips are for behind the scenes workers that you can't personally tip.

I did some research and found in a couple places stating that these employees are hired for a set salary and that Royal offsets that amount with these tips. If the contract is for more than the tips received, then Royal makes up the difference. These workers would make the same regardless the amount of tips collected unless they exceeded the contracted salary. Wonder if it ever happens.

Why is this a thing? Who gives a crap? Why is it so hard for folks? Royal tells you the recommended amount. Why not just pay it and go about your business? Why dissect it? I think the obsession with it is really odd. Do you all question where your tips go when you eat at restaurants?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

I know, another tip thread.

As you know tips are up AGAIN! $18 per day per person and even more for suites

Looked for a breakdown on where the auto tips go and could only find the breakdown before the newest hike. Apparently Royal's new little secret.

Stateroom attendant $3.55

Dining room $5.95

This is the tip breakdown in 2004 and I was shocked.

"RCI recommends: a minimum of $3.50 per day per person to the cabin attendant, $3.50 per day per person to the waiter and $2.00 per day per person to the assistant waiter", $9 per day per person

Almost the same as today as 20 years ago? How can that be right?

The big difference in total cost now is the extra $6.50+ pp per day that Royal charges and calls "Other Hotel Services"

I assume that those tips are for behind the scenes workers that you can't personally tip.

I did some research and found in a couple places stating that these employees are hired for a set salary and that Royal offsets that amount with these tips. If the contract is for more than the tips received, then Royal makes up the difference. These workers would make the same regardless the amount of tips collected unless they exceeded the contracted salary. Wonder if it ever happens.

Do you have a question?

• Thanks 1

I'm going to say the same thing I say about restaurants...if you can't afford a tip, don't go out to eat.  And if you can afford to stay in a suite...then I'm pretty sure you can afford to tip, and probably more than the "suggested" rate.  

The crew on the cruise ships work their hineys off for you, listen to complaints about stuff they have no control over, clean up after your $###, and see their families about every nine months.  Unbelievable that people complain about tipping.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Denversail said:

Why is this a thing? Who gives a crap? Why is it so hard for folks? Royal tells you the recommended amount. Why not just pay it and go about your business? Why dissect it? I think the obsession with it is really odd. Do you all question where your tips go when you eat at restaurants?

Not that i'm all excited about another tip thread  , but , If you went to a restaurant and they told you the 'Recommended amount' was now 45% ... would you just pay it and go about your business?... Or  question it ?

Maybe not for you , but For most people there is a limit reached in most cases  to where if they feel they are being treated unfairly they will decide to question it , and are fully within their rights to know where their money is going. 

Cheers

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Not that i'm all excited about another tip thread  , but , If you went to a restaurant and they told you the 'Recommended amount' was now 45% ... would you just pay it and go about your business?... Or  question it ?

Maybe not for you , but For most people there is a limit reached in most cases  to where if they feel they are being treated unfairly they will decide to question it , and are fully within their rights to know where their money is going. 

Cheers

I might question the amount but not where it was going. I think that is what I find odd about all the tipping post. I could see myself creating a fuss if I thought I was being taking advantage of or overcharged but how the tips are distributed? I just think the argument is self serving and not for the actual concern of the workers. It is just BS. If you don’t want to tip accordingly then don’t. Stop trying to pat yourselves all on the back for it. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Cheers

If the limit is reached, then, stop cruising. Simple. Otherwise pay your service charge and tip cash on top of that like everyone else. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Denversail said:

I might question the amount but not where it was going. I think that is what I find odd about all the tipping post. I could see myself creating a fuss if I thought I was being taking advantage of or overcharged but how the tips are distributed? I just think the argument is self serving and not for the actual concern of the workers. It is just BS. If you don’t want to tip accordingly then don’t. Stop trying to pat yourselves all on the back for it. 

Semantics...

If not for people feeling the amount was too high , they wouldn't be so apt to wonder where it is going.

Anyhow , Happy Cruising

Cheers

• Like 1

The tipping on a cruise is a rip off and the cruise company keeps a portion of it. When I tip at home I know who I'm tipping and why. The cruise is only a suggestion and can be adjusted down at guest services. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Honestly, they need to just include it as a service fee, stop calling it a gratuity and stop making it an "option". This way everyone pays it, whether they realize it or not, and then hopefully still tips cash because now they don't see the word gratuity on their invoice, and their cheap asses won't feel so inclined to inspect where every cent goes. 

1 hour ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Honestly, they need to just include it as a service fee, stop calling it a gratuity and stop making it an "option".

Better yet, Roll it into the price of the cruise and advertise "no tipping" cruises.

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If the limit is reached, then, stop cruising. Simple. Otherwise pay your service charge and tip cash on top of that like everyone else. 

Isn't the service charge/gratuity a tip? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Honestly, they need to just include it as a service fee, stop calling it a gratuity and stop making it an "option". This way everyone pays it, whether they realize it or not, and then hopefully still tips cash because now they don't see the word gratuity on their invoice, and their cheap asses won't feel so inclined to inspect where every cent goes. 

Or have a no tipping cruise with service charge rolled in.  End of debate.

48 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

End of debate.

As soon as I saw the "T" word in the title, I predict there will be no "end of debate."

It is as predictable as pouring gasoline on a campfire. The results are the same every time.

🤣

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

As soon as I saw the "T" word in the title, I predict there will be no "end of debate."

It is as predictable as pouring gasoline on a campfire. The results are the same every time.

🤣

One can only hope!  Tip shamers vs cheapskates.  Always good to read and comment to stir the pot.  😄

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

The tipping on a cruise is a rip off and the cruise company keeps a portion of it. When I tip at home I know who I'm tipping and why. The cruise is only a suggestion and can be adjusted down at guest services. 

No you don't.  If you pay with CC, you have no idea who the money actually goes to, you just THINK you do.  If you pay with cash, you have no idea who even picks up the money, much less whether they share it.  

Either pay the recommended tip amount or don't.  I agree with PP, why does it matter where/how it's being broken out?  When you buy a drink on board, you automatically get charged 18%.  If you have the drink package, you pay 18% on top of that cost.  Unless you're only paying $100pppn, automatic tips are a LOT less than 18%.    

47 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Where are you getting 45%?

$18 is 45% of $40. So unless you got some huge deal where your cruise is only $40/person/day, you're not paying $45% in grats.

It helps if you read/quote the entire sentence...

"If you went to a restaurant and they told you the 'Recommended amount' was now 45% ... would you just pay it and go about your business?."

8 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Do you? I’ve worked in the service industry, all 3 of my daughters have waitresses/bartended during college years, some places make staff split the tips, tip out the bartender, tip out the bus boys, sometimes tips will go to the dishwashers. 

• Like 1