10 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Honestly, they need to just include it as a service fee, stop calling it a gratuity and stop making it an "option". This way everyone pays it, whether they realize it or not, and then hopefully still tips cash because now they don't see the word gratuity on their invoice, and their cheap asses won't feel so inclined to inspect where every cent goes. 

Yes, us cruisers are so stupid that we would never figure that out!

16 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

I did some research and found in a couple places stating that these employees are hired for a set salary and that Royal offsets that amount with these tips. If the contract is for more than the tips received, then Royal makes up the difference. These workers would make the same regardless the amount of tips collected unless they exceeded the contracted salary. Wonder if it ever happens.

True for all workers on the ship!

15 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

The tipping on a cruise is a rip off and the cruise company keeps a portion of it. When I tip at home I know who I'm tipping and why. The cruise is only a suggestion and can be adjusted down at guest services. 

Absolutely!

16 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If the limit is reached, then, stop cruising. Simple. Otherwise pay your service charge and tip cash on top of that like everyone else. 

It's not a service charge.  It's a gratuity.  A service charge cannot be removed.  A gratuity can.

Also, not "everyone else" tips cash in addition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

The tipping on a cruise is a rip off and the cruise company keeps a portion of it. 

So you are accusing RCCL, a major multi-national corporation of lying and theft?  Do you have any proof that the tips are not going to the staff?

15 minutes ago, yogimax said:
16 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

The tipping on a cruise is a rip off and the cruise company keeps a portion of it

So you are accusing RCCL, a major multi-national corporation of lying and theft?  Do you have any proof that the tips are not going to the staff?

He stated the company keeps a portion of it which has been widely reported as fact. They keep a portion for "Administration Fees". Outside of that the facts around how they are distributed among the crew and what portion actually end up as a subsidy to their actual wage so that RCI does not need to pay the full wage , Yeah...those facts remain cloaked in secrecy it seems . 

I have not yet removed auto grats on any cruise , but I am tipping more and more to that side of the fence as time goes on. Starting to feel raising my cash tips to steward and servers may do them much better in the long run .... And I do believe 20 years ago that is who it was suggested that we tip ... When did it change to tipping (ie paying wages) for all positions on the ship ? Record breaking  profits and skyrocketing fares , while guests gratuities subsidize wages ..? That is not in the spirit of what a gratuity is for in my opinion

But ... maybe I'm wrong , haven't figured it out for sure yet. I'm sure it will become clear as mud by the end of the thread ! :classic_wacko:

Cheers all !

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We definitely are in the just add the grats to the cruisefare camp and end the debate.  BUT you will have the usual people boasting how they carry cash and tip every person a la Jimmy Conway in Goodfellas regardless of auto grats added.  So this will never end because people have this mindset they have to pay the salaries of the poor sad ice cream girl, the dishwasher and the guy who wipes the handrails and the rest of us shouldn't dare to cruise because we are cheap.  But it does make for good reading.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

The tipping on a cruise is a rip off and the cruise company keeps a portion of it. When I tip at home I know who I'm tipping and why. The cruise is only a suggestion and can be adjusted down at guest services. 

Worked in Service Industry, you'd be surprised how many places combine or have to share Tips. My Sister a Waitress had share with another Server, Cook and Dishwasher. Managed a Bar/Rest, the Waitresses had to share theirs with the Bartender. Then I have a big family, many Restaurants require a min Charge for larger parties of more then 9, 10, 12. I started on Royal Room Attendant and Waiter each got $1.25 pppd, Asst Waiter got .50 pppd but had double the tables as he'd work with 2 Waiters. If they worked in WJ was a train up job or punishment from Main Dining for not maintaining high Ratings. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

18 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

Not that i'm all excited about another tip thread  , but , If you went to a restaurant and they told you the 'Recommended amount' was now 45% ... would you just pay it and go about your business?... Or  question it ?

Maybe not for you , but For most people there is a limit reached in most cases  to where if they feel they are being treated unfairly they will decide to question it , and are fully within their rights to know where their money is going. 

Cheers

We have a local Mexican restaurant we have have gone to monthly over the last 22 years.  After the pandemic they went to a mandatory 18%, two years ago they added a addional  5% service charge. That was it, we have not been back in 2 years.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

I know, another tip thread.

As you know tips are up AGAIN! $18 per day per person and even more for suites

Looked for a breakdown on where the auto tips go and could only find the breakdown before the newest hike. Apparently Royal's new little secret.

Stateroom attendant $3.55

Dining room $5.95

This is the tip breakdown in 2004 and I was shocked.

"RCI recommends: a minimum of $3.50 per day per person to the cabin attendant, $3.50 per day per person to the waiter and $2.00 per day per person to the assistant waiter", $9 per day per person

Almost the same as today as 20 years ago? How can that be right?

The big difference in total cost now is the extra $6.50+ pp per day that Royal charges and calls "Other Hotel Services"

I assume that those tips are for behind the scenes workers that you can't personally tip.

I did some research and found in a couple places stating that these employees are hired for a set salary and that Royal offsets that amount with these tips. If the contract is for more than the tips received, then Royal makes up the difference. These workers would make the same regardless the amount of tips collected unless they exceeded the contracted salary. Wonder if it ever happens.

There is no secret. You have no idea.

Tip how you want. The cruise line has a suggested amount to make it easier for you, but you should feel free to add to it, remove it and tip on your own, or remove it and not tip at all. Those are your options, and what you decide to do is up to you. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mikew0805 said:

Tip how you want. The cruise line has a suggested amount to make it easier for you, but you should feel free to add to it, remove it and tip on your own, or remove it and not tip at all. Those are your options, and what you decide to do is up to you. 

Exactly 💯 

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

We have a local Mexican restaurant we have have gone to monthly over the last 22 years.  After the pandemic they went to a mandatory 18%, two years ago they added a addional  5% service charge. That was it, we have not been back in 2 years.

This is an interesting example. (IF) you had the option of reducing or eliminating that mandatory % , likely you as a loyal customer of 22 years would still be frequenting the establishment regularly , and likely tipping as you felt appropriate based on history and service ....

Cheers

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

We definitely are in the just add the grats to the cruisefare camp and end the debate.  BUT you will have the usual people boasting how they carry cash and tip every person a la Jimmy Conway in Goodfellas regardless of auto grats added.  So this will never end because people have this mindset they have to pay the salaries of the poor sad ice cream girl, the dishwasher and the guy who wipes the handrails and the rest of us shouldn't dare to cruise because we are cheap.  But it does make for good reading.

To be clear as I've stated , I'm still paying auto grats, though I'm uncertain for how much longer... This is where I find the psychology of these threads interesting though . You lump yourself with as you state "the rest of us" , when it seems to me you Are  in the camp of people with the mindset that IS paying the salaries of the poor ice cream girl..... etc. Because it seems , to me at least , that's what Auto Grats are doing 

It seems to me that many don't realize which side of the argument they are making .

Always provides good entertainment though .

Happy tipping!... (or not)

Cheers

57 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

To be clear as I've stated , I'm still paying auto grats, though I'm uncertain for how much longer... This is where I find the psychology of these threads interesting though . You lump yourself with as you state "the rest of us" , when it seems to me you Are  in the camp of people with the mindset that IS paying the salaries of the poor ice cream girl..... etc. Because it seems , to me at least , that's what Auto Grats are doing 

It seems to me that many don't realize which side of the argument they are making .

Always provides good entertainment though .

Happy tipping!... (or not)

Cheers

Absolutely not.  I do not share ever what I do as it's no one business.  I know Royal will never adopt the autogratuities included because they have a good system going now.  

1 hour ago, LobsterStalker said:

This is an interesting example. (IF) you had the option of reducing or eliminating that mandatory % , likely you as a loyal customer of 22 years would still be frequenting the establishment regularly , and likely tipping as you felt appropriate based on history and service ....

Cheers

It was not the tip as much as them adding a mandatory additional 5% service charge.  Sign of the times I guess as several other restaurants in the area have now added a mandatory 4% service fee. Thank God my wife loves it when I BBQ, but even that is becoming expensive. Last week it was $58 for two Prime NY steaks from Costco.  

I wish they would just add it to the price and allow me the pleasure of handing someone a tip when they provide excellent service 

TIP : to ensure promptness was customarily 

given before service .

And in my opinion should not be based on amount spent .
The girl carrying  a lobster should not receive more than the girl who carried a hamburger 

the whole concept needs revision imo 

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

It was not the tip as much as them adding a mandatory additional 5% service charge.  Sign of the times I guess as several other restaurants in the area have now added a mandatory 4% service fee. Thank God my wife loves it when I BBQ, but even that is becoming expensive. Last week it was $58 for two Prime NY steaks from Costco.  

We get two prime Rib Eyes at Sam’s Club for about $34, they are about one pound each. Put them on the barbie, doesn’t get any better than that.