Just got the upgrade call...

mouche

I just got off the phone with Carnival upgrade department and the offer was to go from our premium interior cabin on deck 9 to a balcony cabin on deck 14 on the Mardi Gras. The total price was $380 and I took it!! I will be surprising my husband once we open that cabin door, Happy Valentines Day to us!!! We sail this Saturday Feb 10th Woo Hoo!!! 

• Like 21

1 hour ago, john91498 said:

in before the "upsell" people 🤣🤪😆

I never understood this..I mean it’s either a paid upgrade or a free upgrade but it’s still an upgrade right? 

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, pinto18 said:

I never understood this..I mean it’s either a paid upgrade or a free upgrade but it’s still an upgrade right? 

Yes, it is an upgrade but there are some people that just consistently feel the need to jump in and admonish everyone for not using the word "upsell."  It's not like it really matters 🤷‍♀️

• Like 11

1 minute ago, pinto18 said:

Before paid upgrades became such a big business for the cruiselines, some people got free upgrades to categories that weren't selling well (cabin A) to open up rooms in cheaper categories that were more likely to sell (cabin B). Those were the original "upgrades".

Now that the cruiselines have figured out how to monetize the move from cabin A to cabin B, some purists say that only free upgrades (which are very rare these days) are "upgrades", vs. paying to move to a better (at least in the cruiseline's view) cabin which is an "upsell".

People really do the most over semantics huh

Especially when it's all really a mater of preference or taste, who cares what you call it as far as I'm concerned, so long as we all understand what you mean. Doesn't hurt me that someone calls it an upsell rather than an upgrade!

• Like 4

It doesn’t hurt me either one way or another. I just find it ..irritating?..that someone immediately gets “ scolded” for using the term upgrade when it costs  money  . 
but to the OP, nice upgrade 😊

• Like 5

I don't know about anyone else but all I see are people complaining about the people who complain about semantics.

But there is nobody here who is complaining about the semantics...only those complaining about the complainers.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Before paid upgrades became such a big business for the cruiselines, some people got free upgrades to categories that weren't selling well (cabin A) to open up rooms in cheaper categories that were more likely to sell (cabin B). Those were the original "upgrades".

Now that the cruiselines have figured out how to monetize the move from cabin A to cabin B, some purists say that only free upgrades (which are very rare these days) are "upgrades", vs. paying to move to a better (at least in the cruiseline's view) cabin which is an "upsell".

I remember the good old days when the upgrades were not upsells.

• Like 1

Carnival is very good at separating you from your money and making you feel good about it. Now, add the spa package and the cheers package, you will feel even better.

I got a good upgrade for only $500. It's nice though because I can be closer to my mustard station on the boat. I am also excited because I selected an 11am boarding time! That means I can meet my Stuart sooner. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

19 hours ago, mouche said:

I just got off the phone with Carnival upgrade department and the offer was to go from our premium interior cabin on deck 9 to a balcony cabin on deck 14 on the Mardi Gras. The total price was $380 and I took it!! I will be surprising my husband once we open that cabin door, Happy Valentines Day to us!!! We sail this Saturday Feb 10th Woo Hoo!!! 

Congrats!!

• Like 1

We always try to book a balcony spa and there wasn't one available on a Vista sailing, so we booked a typical balcony.   A few weeks later we were offered an upgrade to a spa balcony.   We jumped on it.  I think they use past bookings to offer upgrades at times.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, john91498 said:

in before the "upsell" people 🤣🤪😆

Wow!!! Didn't know this would be such an issue, LOL!!! So john, this is just for you, I got the "upsell" call. Feel better?🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, bg2310 said:

People really do the most over semantics huh

Especially when it's all really a mater of preference or taste, who cares what you call it as far as I'm concerned, so long as we all understand what you mean. Doesn't hurt me that someone calls it an upsell rather than an upgrade!

Thank you!!! There are better things in this life to care about.😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ledges1 said:

Carnival is very good at separating you from your money and making you feel good about it. Now, add the spa package and the cheers package, you will feel even better.

Heavy sigh!!!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, TechDiva said:

Yes, it is an upgrade but there are some people that just consistently feel the need to jump in and admonish everyone for not using the word "upsell."  It's not like it really matters 🤷‍♀️

It does matter.  Upgrades are free.  All the clickbait blogs tell newbies to go to Guest Services and ask for a free upgrade.  They never say go to the Guest Services and ask how much to pay for a different room.  It is important to be clear for new cruisers.  You can request free upgrades on airplanes and hotels, both with and without earned status.  The implication that some people are being given free upgrades and others want to know where is my freebie? 

17 hours ago, mz-s said:

I don't know about anyone else but all I see are people complaining about the people who complain about semantics.

But there is nobody here who is complaining about the semantics...only those complaining about the complainers.

Hurts the intention of the humblebrag.  My brother thinks his wife is the Queen of Free Upgrades.  He never sees the bills.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

It does matter.  Upgrades are free.  All the clickbait blogs tell newbies to go to Guest Services and ask for a free upgrade.  They never say go to the Guest Services and ask how much to pay for a different room.  It is important to be clear for new cruisers.  You can request free upgrades on airplanes and hotels, both with and without earned status.  The implication that some people are being given free upgrades and others want to know where is my freebie? 

LOL!!! No one said anything was free, when Carnival called, they themselves called it an upgrade.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, mz-s said:

My head hurts! 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I've never gotten a free airplane upgrade and I travel quite a bit.  Always had to pay for it.  With hotels, I've had to use my points, which essentially aren't free, to get an upgrade.  So, I must be doing something wrong.

At the end of the day, it still doesn't matter to me what it's called.

So, to those that were offered an upgrade for a reasonable cost, congrats!  I've taken advantage of quite a few those myself.

• Like 3