Questions about Eclipse

On 2/7/2024 at 4:57 PM, Northern Aurora said:

We were on the Eclipse for a B2B2B2B last spring.  We were in two different staterooms.  Both staterooms were in excellent condition but the color scheme was rather dated.  Crew were happy and upbeat.  We are scheduled to spend a month on the Eclipse later this year and have no concerns.

In a few years that color combo will be back in.   What goes around comes around.  One year it is gray, the next red, then beige and etc.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I was on Eclipse 3 months ago, and also 7 years ago.  The condition is on the better side of okay, but I'm comparing it to newer ships or ships that have been revolutionized.  But okay doesn't mean bad and we had a nice time on Eclipse.

Here's a video I made of our cabin, FWIW.

• Like 4

We traveled on the Eclipse last year to Australia/New Zealand and most recently to Antartica. I will admit last year we were a little disappointed in the MDR food and also thought the ship looked a little tired. However, this year we definitely noticed a nice improvement to the MDR food and choices. Sushi on Five was great (we went twice.) Yes some areas are worn, the library book choices are minimal but we could overlook those things. The crew is just outstanding. They are happy, thoughtful - truly just a fantastic group. Many remembered my husband and I and cheerfully greeted us every day of our cruise. Manuel was the Cruise Director and he was very social and humorous. We would not hesitate to book another cruise on this ship. 

• Like 2

We were on the Eclipse last month.  I thought she was in good shape didn’t see anything too shabby.  However we did get an upgrade to a Celebrity Suite, so mainly ate in Luminae, which ranged from good to excellent.

I should also add that we have not sailed on a newer ship so can’t make a comparison.

Staff were great, friendly and accommodating - the best we’ve encountered.

I would have no hesitation sailing on her again.

Catherine

• Like 1

I am hoping that the forward facing OV cabins have chairs by the window as I've seen on pix of the Equinox. Our August sailing will be our 6th cruise on the Eclipse starting when she was a newborn in 2010!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2024 at 11:24 AM, ExArkie said:

According to a Cruise Critic article updated last October (https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/upcoming-cruise-ship-refurbishments#celebrity-has-multiple-refurbishments-planned-for-older-ships), Eclipse is scheduled for next Spring:

"Ship: Celebrity Eclipse

Dates: Spring 2025

Details: Celebrity Eclipse is slated for all new carpeting in this drydock along with new draperies. All staterooms and suites will get new balcony furniture and the galley is getting new equipment."

It is possible that schedule has changed.

I'm considering a TA on Eclipse, Mar 22 - Apr. 3, I wonder if when the TA ends in Southampton is when they will do a refurb?

On 2/11/2024 at 4:39 PM, kcool said:

I will be on the Eclipse this July for my first Celebrity sailing coming over from RCI. looking so forward to it. sometimes an older ship shows character and class.

You made an excellent choice coming over from RCI. 

• Like 1

It has been 7 years since I last sailed with Celebrity.....this thread is interesting. I am booked on Eclipse to Bermuda at the end of May in a Sky Suite. Actually got a great price (and I sail solo).

I sailed Eclipse a very long time ago........I think it was 2011 or 2012.  I am planning to have a good time and will just go with the flo....after all, someone else is cooking my food, making my drinks and cleaning my room😀 Hoping I enjoy Luminae too.

12 minutes ago, Lois R said:

It has been 7 years since I last sailed with Celebrity..

Wow Lois, is that really you?  It has been a long time since I have seen a post from you.  Thanks for posting.  😊

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Texed said:

Wow Lois, is that really you?  It has been a long time since I have seen a post from you.  Thanks for posting.  😊

Hi Texed, yep, it is me..... I have been sailing on smaller ships these past few years. I was looking for a spring cruise thought I would check with X. It is going to be a bit odd going from a ship that only sails 600 to one that sails 2800. But I am looking forward to the suite😀

• Like 1

I was on it in December for my first cruise on X....it felt impeccably maintained to me... obviously you could tell certain areas had been used...but nothing felt old and busted or anything along those lines.  If anything I was super impressed with how good everything looked despite the lack of a big refresh anytime lately.

6 hours ago, ®Magic said:

I was on it in December for my first cruise on X....it felt impeccably maintained to me... obviously you could tell certain areas had been used...but nothing felt old and busted or anything along those lines.  If anything I was super impressed with how good everything looked despite the lack of a big refresh anytime lately.

I think the storage is better with the “old” layout compared to refurb Kelly ships.  

• Like 2

On 3/3/2024 at 11:16 AM, Lois R said:

It has been 7 years since I last sailed with Celebrity.....this thread is interesting. I am booked on Eclipse to Bermuda at the end of May in a Sky Suite. Actually got a great price (and I sail solo).

I sailed Eclipse a very long time ago........I think it was 2011 or 2012.  I am planning to have a good time and will just go with the flo....after all, someone else is cooking my food, making my drinks and cleaning my room😀 Hoping I enjoy Luminae too.

Welcome back....I remember when you posted you were changing to other lines.  Which did you settle on and were you happy with the switch?  We sailed Eclipse in 2011, '16, and '17;  going on her again this Nov.  Saw no difference in her 'condition' from '11-'17 so  after reading most comments here, she'll no doubt be well maintained.  I wonder what updates they'll make...no doubt not a full refurbishment.  Enjoy your May end sailing.  After the 'alert' was posted I looked at booking it as well but timing is off for us.  Enjoy your suite and time aboard!

5 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Welcome back....I remember when you posted you were changing to other lines.  Which did you settle on and were you happy with the switch?  We sailed Eclipse in 2011, '16, and '17;  going on her again this Nov.  Saw no difference in her 'condition' from '11-'17 so  after reading most comments here, she'll no doubt be well maintained.  I wonder what updates they'll make...no doubt not a full refurbishment.  Enjoy your May end sailing.  After the 'alert' was posted I looked at booking it as well but timing is off for us.  Enjoy your suite and time aboard!

Thank you😀 I have been sailing with Silversea these past few years, along with 1 cruise on Azamara and also a couple of river cruises. (one on AMA and the other on Uniworld). But the majority have been on SS. 

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

Thank you😀 I have been sailing with Silversea these past few years, along with 1 cruise on Azamara and also a couple of river cruises. (one on AMA and the other on Uniworld). But the majority have been on SS. 

SS has a great reputation...have been looking into their cruises so maybe one day.  Only thing is DH likes a bigger ship and thinks he'll be bored on one so small.

5 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

SS has a great reputation...have been looking into their cruises so maybe one day.  Only thing is DH likes a bigger ship and thinks he'll be bored on one so small.

That is why it is good we all have choices😀I love the smaller ships. Being bored has never been issue for me. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Went fall 2023 b2b2b2 crew was awesome, ship not so much. Rust in quite a few places, large rust spot on aft bottom deck. Nice view for aft cabins. Bed with pillow top still hard and uncomfortable. Every morning I would brush white paint chips off table and chairs. Unfortunately we had the drain on our balcony, so trough was always full of paint chips. Heard them clean other balconies never ours and we stayed in same room for 33 days. Food quality poor. Under spiced and bland. NY steak fat and gristly (when my wife got Covid had room service NY strip excellent, go figure). La Petite Chef $65 per person to watch a cartoon on your plate and eat short ribs, this was their menu for 33 days. On Apex my wife and I had steak and lobster which made it worth $65 not short ribs. We also had filled out 3 Celebrity surveys and never heard a word from them, sorry this is poor customer service. When we debarked in ports they always had us go down and up 2 floors on ramps. Wheelchairs and walkers. Some stops they would open the one on level to get us off but then they would close it by the time we got back so we would have to climb to get back on ship (my wife has asthma so 2 stops to get on ship. We still enjoyed our cruise with the ports and great friends we made, plus awesome staff, they go over and above to please everyone. Wouldn’t go near this ship till after refurbishment in 2025. Oh forgot constant plumbing problems, had main theater men’s bathroom closed for a week. 

Really glad to see this (mostly) positive feedback on the Eclipse.  The broken drawer analogy made me chuckle!  🙂 Sailed on EClass which was super nice but I like the older ship styles just as much, enjoy mixing it up.  I booked a March 2025 TA on Eclipse, last one before she goes into dry dock next April.  We just decided to make it a B2B and tonight went ahead and booked the preceeding cruise as well, so we'll have 18 days on the tired ole gal, before she gets her nips and tucks, and so looking forward to it.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/8/2024 at 11:41 AM, zitsky said:

I've only been on 3-4 Celebrity cruises and Eclipse is now my favorite ship.  Not renovated by Kelly Hoppen so still a lot of storage.  It has Murano, which I liked but my husband did not, as much.  He prefers Tuscan for the view.  And a real balcony not IV.  Ensemble Lounge was my favorite bar.  Relaxing but not LOUD music like the Martini Bar which I went to a few times.  

No it wasn't perfect.  One drawer in our cabin was kind of coming apart but it was ok.

I'm cruising on Millie in 10 months.  I don't think I'll like it as much.  No Murano.  Things seem a bit limited compared to S class.  And Kelly removed most of the storage in the Sky Suites.

I guess if they don’t want people to stay on their ships for very long, removing storage is a smart strategy.

Edited by commodoredave

On 2/11/2024 at 8:57 AM, foodsvcmgr said:

As my photos showed, I agree fully with zitsky.

A few nicks and scratches here or there but certainly nothing tired or worn out.

Plus an absolutely outstanding crew in all areas.

No need to wait for a drydock unless your main interest is searching for issues rather than having an enjoyable cruise.

Your photos were amazing..we don't mind the dated decor but  how were the mattresses?

We are looking for  2026,  so hope we may find a cruise on ECLIPSE ..never sailed on her before