Penalized for Booking Late?

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since I went on a cruise, 6 years. Since then, you can pre-book dinner and such on the app. We booked our cruise (my wife's first) on the Oasis OTS just 5 weeks before she sails and our earliest dinner option with My Time Dining is 9:00 PM? We don't eat dinner that late at all. I'm so used to getting on the ship and taking care of that right away. The unlimited dining package would offer some relief (probably), however, that would be an additional $654. I know we can do the Windjammer and pay for specialty restaurants but I really think she would be missing out if she didn't experience Main Dining at least once. 

Has anyone else run into this issue booking late in the game and what was the outcome? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

You can always turn up at the anytime after 6pm and you will be seated as soon as a table is available.  Also, you could just go see the Maitre D' upon embarkation.  Tell him aproximately when you'd like to eat and he/she will get something worked out for you in MTD.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, meansun said:

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since I went on a cruise, 6 years. Since then, you can pre-book dinner and such on the app. We booked our cruise (my wife's first) on the Oasis OTS just 5 weeks before she sails and our earliest dinner option with My Time Dining is 9:00 PM? We don't eat dinner that late at all. I'm so used to getting on the ship and taking care of that right away. The unlimited dining package would offer some relief (probably), however, that would be an additional $654. I know we can do the Windjammer and pay for specialty restaurants but I really think she would be missing out if she didn't experience Main Dining at least once. 

Has anyone else run into this issue booking late in the game and what was the outcome? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

MTD does not "require" a reservation. Just show up. 

While we take most meals in the MDR, if she never had a dinner there, she would not be missing anything. 

23 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

You can always turn up at the anytime after 6pm and you will be seated as soon as a table is available.  Also, you could just go see the Maitre D' upon embarkation.  Tell him aproximately when you'd like to eat and he/she will get something worked out for you in MTD.

That's a great tip thank you

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

MTD does not "require" a reservation. Just show up. 

While we take most meals in the MDR, if she never had a dinner there, she would not be missing anything. 

I would like for her to at least experience it 2 or 3 times during our cruise so she can formulate her own opinion. In all my cruises, I always just go to specialty restaurants because I just think it's a lot quieter and quaint.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, meansun said:

Hello Everyone,

Anytime opens for pre reservations around 7:45, and I couldn't book that early when i tried anytime. Its squeezed between early and late. They dont have eaely times you can pre book. Though agree 9 pm is too late. I did anytime and thought it's done so poorly by royal now I just book early fixed time. 

45 minutes ago, meansun said:

I would like for her to at least experience it 2 or 3 times during our cruise so she can formulate her own opinion. In all my cruises, I always just go to specialty restaurants because I just think it's a lot quieter and quaint.

Just curious, if your normal cruise routine includes eating at a specialty restaurant every night, why would you want to deprive her of that experience? I understand your point about letting her experience the MDR, but personally I would expose her to the way you normally cruise. Just me two cents unsolicited opinion. 🙂

15 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Just curious, if your normal cruise routine includes eating at a specialty restaurant every night, why would you want to deprive her of that experience? I understand your point about letting her experience the MDR, but personally I would expose her to the way you normally cruise. Just me two cents unsolicited opinion. 🙂

Well I want her to experience both so then it's easier for me to make the argument that it's worth the $654 upcharge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Anytime opens for pre reservations around 7:45, and I couldn't book that early when i tried anytime. Its squeezed between early and late. They dont have eaely times you can pre book. Though agree 9 pm is too late. I did anytime and thought it's done so poorly by royal now I just book early fixed time. 

Yeah and I would too but when I booked the cruise over the phone with RCL, they said my best option was my time because the earliest was too late.

10 minutes ago, meansun said:

Yeah and I would too but when I booked the cruise over the phone with RCL, they said my best option was my time because the earliest was too late.

Both main seatings are before 9 pm now. They are something like 5 pm and 7:30 pm now. 

Edited by pyrateslife4me84

2 hours ago, meansun said:

The unlimited dining package would offer some relief (probably), however, that would be an additional $654

Some relief maybe , but from what I read from others that is also going to be a challenge getting times you want at specialty this late in the game .

FWIW , also agree with FIREFLY That MTD is a disaster on royal . That's also my 2 cents , you're almost up to a nickel 

Cheers GL

If your l look last Royal Caribbean cruise was 6+ years ago, you would have sailed with their old MTD schedule; customers liked it.  Nevertheless, they changed it, in an effort, I think, to fill essentially all the main dining room seats immediately as soon as the dining room opens.  That may be better for the cruise line, but it is not better for MTD passengers.  They have also gradually moved up the US early and late fixed dining times so now the early dining is quite early and late is not all that late (I don’t know if they have done that to non US sailings, too).

You may want to look at the early and late fixed dining times.  If either option appeals, call and ask if it is available or if a waitlist is available. If MTD still seems right for you, you can try to make reservations when you board the ship or just line up in the no reservation line.

I’m on the Anthem presently and have traditional dining of 5.  Plenty of empty tables and they are seating folks whom I’m assuming are MTD before the 6:45 time frame. I have a table for 8 and only ;3 at this table. Noticed the same on December Harmony sail and October Oasis sail. 
As others have said show up at the restaurants as there are empty seats if not empty tables. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

If your l look last Royal Caribbean cruise was 6+ years ago, you would have sailed with their old MTD schedule; customers liked it.  Nevertheless, they changed it, in an effort, I think, to fill essentially all the main dining room seats immediately as soon as the dining room opens.  That may be better for the cruise line, but it is not better for MTD passengers.  They have also gradually moved up the US early and late fixed dining times so now the early dining is quite early and late is not all that late (I don’t know if they have done that to non US sailings, too).

You may want to look at the early and late fixed dining times.  If either option appeals, call and ask if it is available or if a waitlist is available. If MTD still seems right for you, you can try to make reservations when you board the ship or just line up in the no reservation line.

You're right I did and I loved it. It just seems to me that if someone late books like we did, we are helping them out by helping fill up the ship but then we need better options for dining. I am sure my wife will love cruising but I don't want to put her off. She was shocked at how much I paid for the unlimited drink package with internet and an ocean-view room with an extended balcony. I mean this trip is costing more than the average vacation and I'm not counting parking at the port of Miami and a hotel the night before etc.. 

39 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I’m on the Anthem presently and have traditional dining of 5.  Plenty of empty tables and they are seating folks whom I’m assuming are MTD before the 6:45 time frame. I have a table for 8 and only ;3 at this table. Noticed the same on December Harmony sail and October Oasis sail. 
As others have said show up at the restaurants as there are empty seats if not empty tables. 

Good to know and thank you!

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yeah hard to believe my first 15yrs Cruising I use to enjoy late Seating, 845pm that would take til 1030-45 to finish Dessert. 2nd Main Show would be after at 1045-11pm instead of before Dinner as is now many times. Then with some Ships last few yrs WJ and MT opening late as 630-645pm and even that is too late for me now. Recent Cruises been experiencing, along with my future Bookings, early Main Dining that is 5, 515 or 530 on my Radiance Class Ships. Interesting though WJ has been 6-830 or 630-9, very limited like Mytime is from when first started

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yeah hard to believe my first 15yrs Cruising I use to enjoy late Seating, 845pm that would take til 1030-45 to finish Dessert. 2nd Main Show would be after at 1045-11pm instead of before Dinner as is now many times. Then with some Ships last few yrs WJ and MT opening late as 630-645pm and even that is too late for me now. Recent Cruises been experiencing, along with my future Bookings, early Main Dining that is 5, 515 or 530 on my Radiance Class Ships. Interesting though WJ has been 6-830 or 630-9, very limited like Mytime is from when first started

Ditto.

I know it seems like ancient history for most cruisers but there was a 6pm or 8pm only seating time for the evening meal on the Nordic Prince in the late 1980s. Like clockwork, there were two shows at 8pm and 10pm to accommodate a 90 minute meal with 30 minutes to reset the tables for the next group and allows guest to seat themselves at the next venue.

I was advised by my travel agent that If we wanted an extremely leisurely meal with no time constraints, to book the 8pm dining. The older crowd in general went early and the younger crowd went later which also led into a later dance party and a view into the Midnight Buffet. Very few people ate that much at the buffet but it was an event just to look at the offerings.The huge butter creations were stored from week to week as they were for show and not to be consumed. The ice sculptures were fantastic and I was able to see one created during the cruise on deck. In general, one ice sculpture was created everyday for the Midnight Buffet.

Everything operated on "Ship's Time" and the cruisers happily followed the 'Pied Piper'.

I do like having options now but I also enjoyed having my options somewhat limited when I was younger. Easier to make decisions.

• Like 2

We booked early dining on this cruise bc I thought MTD was a hassle when I went with my husband in November. Not terrible but I did sorely miss having the same waiter and waiting in line. Was really annoyed when we got on the ship and early dining was moved from 5:30 to 5. We missed sail a way and the sunset most days. I did really enjoy the same server and table all week so still worth it and preferred it over late dining.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I was advised by my travel agent that If we wanted an extremely leisurely meal with no time constraints, to book the 8pm dining. The older crowd in general went early and the younger crowd went later which also led into a later dance party and a view into the Midnight Buffet. Very few people ate that much at the buffet but it was an event just to look at the offerings.The huge butter creations were stored from week to week as they were for show and not to be consumed. The ice sculptures were fantastic and I was able to see one created during the cruise on deck. In general, one ice sculpture was created everyday for the Midnight Buffet.

I miss the midnight buffet. It was so beautiful and creative but not a lot of stuff was eaten so I understand why they got rid of it. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, meansun said:

Agreed! We love the experience in the MDR. Have we enjoyed every meal that we've had there? No, but the same could be said of any of the restaurants we visit at home, or even some of the specialty dining meals. It's nice to relax and enjoy the waiters. Most of the waiters we've had have been really good. The MDRs are decorated beautifully, which adds to the experience too.

• Like 1

After years of MTD which was never a problem, as we age, we find ourselves back to early dining, time to digest the meal and see shows and the sunset.  And we go to bed much earlier because we're exhausted.  Ce La Vie.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

After years of MTD which was never a problem, as we age, we find ourselves back to early dining, time to digest the meal and see shows and the sunset.  And we go to bed much earlier because we're exhausted.  Ce La Vie.

My wife and I talked about this on our last cruise, how we've changed as cruisers. We were those who had to be doing something all day every day. We'd have the Compass marked up, run from one thing to the next. Now we definitely chilly more. If we miss something that we thought we might want to do it's no big deal. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, meansun said:

The quality of the phone rep varies greatly, so you should not accept every piece of advice a rep offers.  Think about the three MDR options (currently for Oasis 5 pm traditional, 7:45 traditional, or 6:45-9:00 MTD).  Rank them 1-3 for you and your wife.  If you decide MTD really is best for you two, you are set.  If not, call and ask for your number 1.  If not available, ask to be put on a waitlist and ask if your second choice is available (unless your second choice is MTD which you already have).  Be proactive.

18 hours ago, meansun said:

It just seems to me that if someone late books like we did, we are helping them out by helping fill up the ship but then we need better options for dining.

All passengers are valuable.  Obviously booking last minute means many dining slots were requested months or years ago; that cannot be helped.