Recently diagnosed diabetic

Probably not the right place to ask this question, but didn’t really see a place to ask other than disabled cruisers…..so any help would be appreciated. Husband was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of weeks ago and we have a cruise planned in about a month. Just wondering how others navigate thru the process. I know we need to fill out a special needs form for a sharps container, but how about meals? Do you request a special type of food selection or are you able to make selections from the buffet and main dining room? He has to monitor his carb intake to keep the sugar numbers down. We have thought about canceling the trip but have had it planned for awhile and were really looking forward to it until life threw us this curve ball…..any advise would be appreciated. 

You could look up just about any low carb diet and follow it yourself. Skip the rice and potatoes and eat meat and salad, go easy on desserts. If either of you has ever dieted, you know carbs are what to skip. You should be able to tell what foods are high in sugar or carbs without talking to royal, or I could. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I find a low carb diet easier to follow by eating dinner's in the Windjammer.  Lot's of salads with a protein of the day as a side.  Light dressing application and you can have a very diet friendly dinner compared to the MDR where they may preload a sugar rich dressing or sauce on an entree.

The MDR menu generally has some low carb options but it helps to understand how to navigate this concept in general with life.  In a few months that will be easier to understand and with that knowledge navigating the MDR menu will become easier.

Flying long haul on an airplane is a lot harder to manage the intake of carbs with often little or few choices compared to the MDR on a ship.  Skip the breads and make sure he understands he doesn't have to eat everything on the plate that is presented to him.  It's okay to leave something on the plate untouched if it isn't friendly to his dietary needs.   Skipping dessert can avoid a lot of sugar but again, once more comfortable with this new lifestyle a small bite of a dessert while leaving the bulk of it untouched is perfectly fine on a ship, he won't hurt the cook's feelings, if that satisfies his needs while not spiking his body with sugar.

Vodka with soda water is a popular drink for those with a focus on minimizing sugar intake until he can more fully understand the impact of various beverages on his sugar levels but double check medication guidelines for alcohol use.  Still, it can be a safe drink for some that provides an opportunity to participate in moderation so not completely out of the game if that would impact his overall enjoyment of the cruise experience.

Edited by twangster

34 minutes ago, stuckintexas said:

Probably not the right place to ask this question, but didn’t really see a place to ask other than disabled cruisers…..so any help would be appreciated. Husband was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of weeks ago and we have a cruise planned in about a month. Just wondering how others navigate thru the process. I know we need to fill out a special needs form for a sharps container, but how about meals? Do you request a special type of food selection or are you able to make selections from the buffet and main dining room? He has to monitor his carb intake to keep the sugar numbers down. We have thought about canceling the trip but have had it planned for awhile and were really looking forward to it until life threw us this curve ball…..any advise would be appreciated. 

You can get a sharps container through special needs and also a medical refrigerator if he needs it for medications.  As far as his diet, hopefully, both you and he have met with a nutritionist by the time you cruise.  My DH is also diabetic and his doctor had both of us meet with a nutritionist to help guide us through what he needs to eat.  Eating certain foods together helps regulate his sugar and will help you control the highs and the lows.  We find eating on a cruise very easy, just don't be afraid to ask them to substitute vegetables for starch or leave off sauces etc.  

It is a lot to take in at first, but it becomes old hat very quickly.  You can cruise, don't cancel!

• Like 2

My husband is a T1 diabetic and we have enjoyed many cruises. We never make any special needs requests. There are a lot of options for going low carb on a cruise. In fact, my husband’s pump broke on our cruise in October and since he is not as used to using the syringe to give himself insulin, he was remarkably strict, and thoroughly enjoyed his meals.

We do not request a sharps container since my husband does not discard any in the trash. Of course with the insulin pump and sensor, he does not use many (even with the syringe he used, it was the same one used throughout the remainder of the cruise so was not discarded). I always see it as an option to request one if you need it so that shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, the liquor drinks, without any sugary mixers, are your best bet for low carb alcoholic drinks. A strong wine is pretty good as well (general rule of thumb, the stronger the wine, the less sugar). Also recommend always taking the stairs if you don't have any limitations. Activity really helps my husband control his blood sugar. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

You can fill out the special needs form for a sharps container, but I'm my experience, it's been hit or miss being in the room when we arrive. I just ask the room steward for one, since that's what usually ends up happening anyway. As far as diet, being on a cruise surrounded by temptation makes it hard for any of us. As a newly diagnosed diabetic, your husband also still be figuring out how different foods affect his glucose levels. I do my best to keep it under control, watching carbs etc, but also don't beat myself up about over indulging a few meals on vacation either.

Went on two cruises last year and didn't gain a pound on either one. Did a lot of walking. Skipped the elevator and took the stairs quite often. Every little bit helps. Good luck to him.

• Like 1

As scary as it is being diagnosed as a diabetic really isn't the life ending event that some would have you believe.

My Wife was diagnosed with Diabetes in 2001,she was terrified at first,we went to many meetings & seminars,one valuable piece of advice we were given was that it was a condition,not an illness.

I have known people quit work & quit enjoying life as soon as they were diagnosed,travelling & generally enjoying life was very much the order of the day for us,my Wife carried on work until she retired two years ago,& it was a physical job,we have continued travelling,it sometimes isn't easy but life isn't,she finds plenty of choices when it comes to food & drink without asking for special diets,luckily she loves the type of food that dieticians tell us is good for her,great credit to her for not letting it ruin her life,being sensible is often what is required.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stuckintexas said:

Probably not the right place to ask this question, but didn’t really see a place to ask other than disabled cruisers…..so any help would be appreciated.

If you want to share, is he type 1 insulin dependent diabetic or a type 2 diabetic and manages his condition with diet and medication?  My wife is type 1, she was diagnosed over 30 years ago and travel has not been an issue for her.  The reason I ask is although similar they have different needs that you may need fulfilled prior to the cruise with the special needs department.  For instance refrigeration for the type of insulin he's on or how it's delivered if he is on insulin.  Or special dietary requirements.  

In addition to contacting the special needs department, if you haven't done so I'd make sure to check in with his medical team especially his endocrinologist for any info that is specific to him.  As others have said, we walk a lot, use the elevators and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate....especially if you're flying.

26 minutes ago, snaefell said:

As scary as it is being diagnosed as a diabetic really isn't the life ending event that some would have you believe.

My Wife was diagnosed with Diabetes in 2001,she was terrified at first,we went to many meetings & seminars,one valuable piece of advice we were given was that it was a condition,not an illness.

Love this, so very true.  My wife's condition has never slowed her down and she's been very fortunate to be in good health despite her condition. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

4-5 years ago I was diagnosed as a Diabetic, and I also was scared.  Sometimes I was literally afraid to eat because I didn't know what was good /what was bad for me -- one day I ugly cried in front of my boss because I was hungry and literally didn't know what was okay to eat. 

It took me a while to get a handle on what it means to "eat healthy" in a low-carb way.  It seems to go against some of the rules you've learned all your life; for example, whole grain bread is supposed to be good for you, right?  But if you're diabetic, you need to limit even whole grains.  Fruit, which you've been told all your life is good for you, is a bit high in sugar.  

Be honest with yourself about the carbs you're eating.  Keeping a notebook can make all the difference.  Ignore "net carbs" -- that's a marketing technique to get you to buy processed foods.  Count all your carbs.  

Initially my doctor put me on a Keto diet, and it did WONDERS for me.  He specified that this isn't a good choice long-term, but my numbers were out of whack in one direction, and I needed to go "extreme" in the other direction to get myself back to a mid-point.  

Lots of Diabetics will tell you "Eat to your meter".  You do have a blood glucose meter, right?  If not, get one right away -- it's probably cheaper for you to buy a basic model at Walmart or Target than to go through your insurance.  And as a new Diabetic, you need to test often -- it's how you'll learn.  You want your blood sugar to be below 100 before you eat, and you want to return to 100 within 2-3 hours.  (Your blood sugar will be high right after eating, even if you've been very, very good.)  Keep records of what works for you; for example, apples skyrocket my blood sugar, but I'm okay with popcorn -- not all Diabetics are.  

Exercise matters too.  My doctor says, You don't have to move fast, but you have to move at least 30 minutes every day.  

Do you have access to a Diabetic Nutrition Workshop and/or a Nutritionist through your doctor?  Both were super helpful to me.  

Today I'm rather moderate in what I eat, and I am no longer Diabetic -- though if I start eating poorly again, that'll change!  On holidays and my birthday, I allow myself a really good "cheat meal + dessert", but I make it ONLY ONE meal.  No making a cheesecake and eating the leftovers for 3-4 days.  No ordering lasagna and taking home half of it for tomorrow.  

Here's some of what I've learned.  I hope it'll help you:  

- You must control your carbohydrates.  Get your doctor to give you an idea of how many carbs you are allowed to eat at each meal.  Ignore calories and fat.  Carbs are everything for a Diabetic. 

- Learning not to drink your carbohydrates is HUGE.  Water, of course, is best, but these drinks also have no carbs:  diet soda, unsweetened iced tea, coffee.  You can add artificial sweetener to your tea and coffee.  Cream is fine for your coffee, but avoid milk (this is the kind of thing that you have to get your head around as you learn about low-carb).   I'm drinking an Iced Coffee with cream and Splenda right now ... it's one of my go-to treats.  

- The two things I NEVER touch are full-sugar soda and juice.  

- Most of our meals are meat + vegetables.  At first it seemed "wrong" to skip rice, potatoes or pasta + rolls, but now it seems normal.  At home, we often have a piece of fish, chicken or a hamburger patty + oven-roasted vegetables or a marinated salad. 

- I strongly suggest you embrace meat + veg rather than trying to reproduce carb-heavy meals with "fake" items.  

- Be careful of breaded items.  Start cooking your pork chops or chicken-fried steak without breading.  

- Vegetables are the key to healthy Diabetic eating.  I make a BIG sheet pan of roasted vegetables twice a week.  Just frozen mixed veg roasted 30-40 minutes at 450 degrees, drizzled with olive oil and spices.  Broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, Brussels sprouts, peppers are all great choices; root vegetables are, of course, better than grains, but they're higher than the aforementioned veg, so take it easier on onions, butternut squash, and their ilk.  

- Potatoes are your enemy ... French fries, chips, they are all out to get you.  

- We are big on seafood.  We love to cook crab legs or shrimp.  Fish too.  

- I still love lasagna, mac-and-cheese, pizza, etc., but I have a moderate piece + balance it out with salads for the rest of the day.  We always go with thin-crust pizza now.  

- Lunches are hard because we're all so conditioned to go with sandwiches.  Most fillings are okay, but the bread is too high in carbs.  I've developed the habit of having HALF a sandwich with lots of filling.  No to fat, hoagie sandwiches like Subway or Jimmy John's ... too much bread.  

- Breakfast is easy, though repetive.  Eggs and bacon or sausage are no-carb.  Just skip the grits, biscuit or toast.  Bacon dipped in guacamole is a really good breakfast.  I often keep a bowl of boiled eggs in the refrigerator for quick breakfasts.  Omelets or scrambled eggs with a bit of salsa are good.  

- Snacks are hard.  Pickles and cheese are a safe choice.  Pepperoni is good too.  

- Check out Keto recipes on Pinterest.  Try the Big Mac salad.  

- One of the best pieces of advice I ever heard:  Read the back of the package, not the front.  LOTS of things at the grocery store claim to be Keto, yet when you look at the back of the package they're not low carb at all.  

- Be careful with your condiments.  Catsup, BBQ sauce and many other condiments are loaded with sugar.  Sweet Baby Ray's and G Hughes are name-brands that offer no /low sugar options, and they're good.  On the other hand, butter is your friend.  

- My two go-to sweets are 1) Sugar-free Jello with whipped cream /and, to a lesser extent, Sugar-free Jello pudding whipped with cream.  2) Homemade popsicles made with Jello and cream; recipes on Pinterest.  

- Another thing that helps when I absolutely want something to eat and have no business eating:  Sugar-free gum.  

- Things that're usually safe to order in a restaurant:  Chicken wings + celery sticks.  Chicken salad over a green salad.  Salad with a protein.  Steak, chicken or salmon + green vegetable.  Chicken & broccoli at a Chinese restaurant.  

- You don't have to be perfect about your diet ... just better than you used to be.  

And here are some specifics for cruises: 

- Watch your beverages.  Consider bringing little tubes of powdered drink mix or squirt-bottles of drink mix ... it's hard to know what's low carb on the ship.  

- It's very easy to eat low-carb in the buffet:  a big salad and a piece of chicken or fish is very low carb.  Once your numbers are well-established, you can add a small dessert or a piece of bread.  

- In the MDR, ask them to skip your bread basket.  It's just so easy to eat 2-3 pieces while you're waiting.  

- Order simple items without sauces.  Order roast beef, fish, shrimp cocktail, salads.  Skip soups, Indian foods with complex sauces.  If you order a baked potato, rice, etc., eat only half of it.  

- You ask about a sharps container ... you're using Insulin?  Already as a newly diagnosed Diabetic?  Yes, you can request one for your cabin.  Email special_needs@rccl.com  

- Definitely go on the cruise!  Try to aim for watching what you eat /without being paranoid about it.  Aim for lots of exercise to offset a less-than-stellar diet week.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeffT237 said:

As others have said, we walk a lot, use the elevators and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate....especially if you're flying.

correction, we "don't" use the elevators

• Like 3

I am type 2 and take two meds for it, one weekly and one daily. I do not have to check my levels ever. I watch my carb intake as I do at home but I also indulge because I’m on vacation and their bread has me in a choke hold. I also get the drink package but I absolutely do not drink anything with those sugary high carbs mixers. Be careful and enjoy your cruise 

• Like 1

I am D2 and I find no trouble whatsoever keeping to a diabetic diet.  I tell my servers from the get go, no potatoes, rice or other starches, no bread, no 😭 rolls, no deserts except sugar free.  And they do have coconut cake and key lime pie with no sugar, just make your requests the first night and they will be glad to help.  We're pretty much carnivores on cruises and there is no limit to the protein choices.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@stuckintexas  The most important advice I want to add to this thread is do what your doctor tells you and what works best for you!  Some of the advice on this thread is way out there!  Test on the schedule your doctor wants you to test and worry about the blood sugar levels you have been advised to watch for.  No two diabetics are the same and no one in this thread knows what your husband's medical history is, so some of these food recommendations might not be right for him.  A dietician or nutritionist will guide you to what is best for him.

Edit to add:  We have never had to buy a glucose meter for my DH or my mother in law who was also a diabetic.  We have always received one free of charge from the doctors office.

Edited by reallyitsmema
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

The most important advice I want to add to this thread is do what your doctor tells you and what works best for you! 

So true

• Like 1

no need to fill out special needs forms, we just ask for a sharps container when the cabin steward introduces him/herself. Your room will not get over 80, while DH does keep his insulin in the mini cooler, it's not necessary. You can store insulin at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. He doesn't ask for diabetic meals, he knows what to pick. Royal does put out several sugar free dessert options in WJ and one in the MDR. Know your carbs and get plenty of exercise

• Like 2

Thank you so much for all the advice!!!  He is type 2 and he does have CGM and check the numbers alot trying to figure out what spikes the numbers and what keeps them in check. Always watching the carbs too.  I feel so much better about going!!

Just one other question…..do you have issues going thru security with your supplies?  We won’t be flying for this cruise but probably will be in the summer. 

3 minutes ago, stuckintexas said:

Thank you so much for all the advice!!!  He is type 2 and he does have CGM and check the numbers alot trying to figure out what spikes the numbers and what keeps them in check. Always watching the carbs too.  I feel so much better about going!!

Just one other question…..do you have issues going thru security with your supplies?  We won’t be flying for this cruise but probably will be in the summer. 

My DH has never had any issues at any cruise port or airport.  He keeps all his stuff together and could pull it out of his carryon if there was an issue.  He never checks any of his meds or meter, always carries it on.  If he has to gate check his carry on when he flies, he makes sure to pull out his supplies before they take the bag.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, stuckintexas said:

In our experience with my type 1 wife who has to bring extra supplies, and devices as she wears an insulin pump and wears a CGM it really varies when it comes to security and TSA.  She also brings juice boxes and snacks.  Some of the time it's not an issue, we've learned to get to the airport even earlier than most. There are times where she is pulled aside and everything examined, and there are times when the TSA agent is more familiar with diabetic passengers and it goes quickly.  Sometimes a supervisor has been notified and involved.  Just a heads up, it seems every time is a little different.

As far as embarkation day, never any issues.

Edited by JeffT237
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

no deserts except sugar free.  And they do have coconut cake and key lime pie with no sugar

Do consider that sugar-free doesn't mean carb-free (or even low-carb).  

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

there is no limit to the protein choices.

True.  Proteins are easy to come by on cruises.  

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

The most important advice I want to add to this thread is do what your doctor tells you and what works best for you! 

Yes, definitely start with your doctor's advice, but seek out advice elsewhere too.  You can find loads of low-carb websites online.  

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Edit to add:  We have never had to buy a glucose meter for my DH or my mother in law who was also a diabetic.  We have always received one free of charge from the doctors office.

My insurance did provide a free meter for me, but the test strips it required were expensive.  It turned out to be cheaper to buy a Walmart /Target meter out-of-pocket ... they use the cheaper strips.  

8 minutes ago, stuckintexas said:

Thank you so much for all the advice!!!  He is type 2 and he does have CGM and check the numbers alot trying to figure out what spikes the numbers and what keeps them in check.

That's smart.  When I was first diagnosed, I charted and monitored -- but that takes a lot of time and effort.  You'll get to the point that it's no longer necessary.  It gets easier, and my A1C is consistently in the normal /no longer Diabetic range.  

8 minutes ago, stuckintexas said:

No problem with this.  

• Like 1

@stuckintexas Please consider consulting with a registered nutritionist  to give your DH and you insights into diet regarding his type2diabeties. Such advice can help him with daily food choices as well as coping with food on your upcoming cruise.

MJ🙎🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Do consider that sugar-free doesn't mean carb-free (or even low-carb).  

True.  Proteins are easy to come by on cruises.  

Yes, definitely start with your doctor's advice, but seek out advice elsewhere too.  You can find loads of low-carb websites online.  

My insurance did provide a free meter for me, but the test strips it required were expensive.  It turned out to be cheaper to buy a Walmart /Target meter out-of-pocket ... they use the cheaper strips.  

Advice should come from medical professionals, not a "low-carb website", whatever that is.  A appointment with a nutritionist or dietician was one of the first priorities after my DH was diagnosed.  They will go over what foods are good and bad and what foods should be eaten together to help regulate your sugar.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went low carbs, low sugar heart healthy diet for type 2 diabetes and blood pressure.  It is difficult for me spending 6 months a year in the Philippines,  some people have a meal which is nothing but white rice.  We get brown rice, but I do not eat it every day.  Also eat some whole wheat bread for my tuna fish sandwiches.  I have found food choices easy on Royal Caribbean cruises, just select the vegan starter, vegan main course, and the vegan dessert.  Since I do not eat meat, eggs or dairy products, most choices easy.  I eat a lot of broccoli,  got tired of asparagus  on the last cruise 

14 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I tell my servers from the get go, no potatoes, rice or other starches, no bread, no 😭 rolls, no deserts except sugar free.  And they do have coconut cake and key lime pie with no sugar, just make your requests the first night and they will be glad to help.  

I think this is key, tell the servers on your first day. Since this is a new diagnosis, I realize he may be uncomfortable mentioning it, but I have a strong feeling the wait staff hear this type of request daily. Many people eat low carb or no carb for many reasons. In my experience the wait staff always ask if there are any special dietary needs.

Good Luck!