Recently diagnosed diabetic

13 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Do consider that sugar-free doesn't mean carb-free (or even low-carb). 

Of course, I've been T2 for about 15 yrs~!  But I allow some carbs on a cruise, but not sugar or most starches.  Everything has carbs but meats, doesn't anyone know that.

16 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Advice should come from medical professionals, not a "low-carb website", whatever that is. 

Yes, your doctor will tell you your A1C and how many carbs you should be allowed each day, but websites and books will give you a variety of tips and recipes that'll fit into those guidelines and can provide support on a more regular basis than the doctor.  No one's suggesting that the internet is a replacement for the doctor.   

Here are a couple good sites: 

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/ 

https://sugarfreelondoner.com/ -- try that 90 second Keto bread 

https://www.heyketomama.com/ -- try the fathead pizza dough 

15 hours ago, mugtech said:

nothing but white rice.  We get brown rice 

That's tough.  Rice -- white or brown -- has little nutrition and loads of carbs.  

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Of course, I've been T2 for about 15 yrs~!  But I allow some carbs on a cruise, but not sugar or most starches.  Everything has carbs but meats, doesn't anyone know that.

I hear you, but I don't think everyone here is as well-informed.  Lots of people think Diabetics just need to avoid sugar, and all'll be well.  

All good comments. I too was just diagnosed as a type 2 and have cruised several times with no problem. I find it easier because I can pick correctly and avoid bad choices. For me the junk food is my downfall but it doesn’t exist on cruises. I avoid rice, pasta breaded foods and deserts. If I really crave a sweet I get a dish of ice cream and several bites is enough. My diet wants me to get 20-30 gems of protein per meal and 90 max carbs per day. I don’t have to count calories or sugar. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yes, your doctor will tell you your A1C and how many carbs you should be allowed each day, but websites and books will give you a variety of tips and recipes that'll fit into those guidelines and can provide support on a more regular basis than the doctor.  No one's suggesting that the internet is a replacement for the doctor.   

Here are a couple good sites: 

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/ 

https://sugarfreelondoner.com/ -- try that 90 second Keto bread 

https://www.heyketomama.com/ -- try the fathead pizza dough 

That's tough.  Rice -- white or brown -- has little nutrition and loads of carbs.  

I hear you, but I don't think everyone here is as well-informed.  Lots of people think Diabetics just need to avoid sugar, and all'll be well.  

If that is all you are getting from a doctor, that is too bad, I would find a new one.  Fad diets are not the answer to everything.  It is Keto now but was South Beach and Atkins before.  Not into making fad foods or eating sugar free desserts full of sugar alcohols and chemicals.  You might be well-informed for your situation but you are way off when it comes to some diabetics.  A blood sugar of 100, two hours after eating, not going to happen for everyone.

Doctor Google is not the solution to everything and can lead to a lot of bad information and unneeded concern.  A doctor with a team of people to support a newly diagnosed diabetic is the best place to start.  As a few of us have said, meeting with a nutritionist or dietician is one of the best things for someone newly diagnosed as they will calm the fears and make you realize that you can eat carbs and should eat carbs!  Cruising is not difficult as a diabetic as long as you know what you can eat, not what someone else can eat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been dealing with sugar for many years and cruise 4 or 5 times a year.  I request a special low carb diet/no sugar diet prior to boarding the ship.  I select my menu the night before and most of the time everything can be cooked to my needs.  For example I love French onion soup so when I order it they do not put the bread or croutons on and not as much cheese. I also walk and do stairs.  Most of the time after a cruise my A1C is much better than when I am at hope.  The doctor always want to know what I did different, I told him I was on a cruise and he just laughs.  It does take some getting use to but don't be afraid to ask questions.

On 3/1/2024 at 11:21 AM, stuckintexas said:

Probably not the right place to ask this question, but didn’t really see a place to ask other than disabled cruisers…..so any help would be appreciated. Husband was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of weeks ago and we have a cruise planned in about a month. Just wondering how others navigate thru the process. I know we need to fill out a special needs form for a sharps container, but how about meals? Do you request a special type of food selection or are you able to make selections from the buffet and main dining room? He has to monitor his carb intake to keep the sugar numbers down. We have thought about canceling the trip but have had it planned for awhile and were really looking forward to it until life threw us this curve ball…..any advise would be appreciated. 

I have been an insulin-dependent diabetic for long time and cruise 6-7 times a year. You go and enjoy your cruise. You go to the main dining room. You order your meals. You make conscious decision on how much carbs you eat. I order lots of protein and just pick at the potatoes. If I order a walnut shrimp which is batter fried with a sweet sauce, I will eat a 2 or 3... not all 6. I will eat part of a crab cake order. There are NSA (no sugar added) desserts on all menus. If I order a regular cake, I will have a couple of bites. The waiters are sometimes concerned that the food is bad, and I just tell them I need to watch my sugars. 

At the Windjammer, I would take a hot dog without a bun. Focus on proteins and veg, and maybe sneak a few french fries. I check my blood sugars 4-5 times a day and can make smart decisions that do not affect my baseline glucose levels. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Lots of people think Diabetics just need to avoid sugar, and all'll be well.  

They don't need this information.  I think most people who've been diagnosed know enough about what to avoid.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, stuckintexas said:

Thank you so much for all the advice!!!  He is type 2 and he does have CGM and check the numbers alot trying to figure out what spikes the numbers and what keeps them in check. Always watching the carbs too.  I feel so much better about going!!

Just one other question…..do you have issues going thru security with your supplies?  We won’t be flying for this cruise but probably will be in the summer. 

When we flew with my niece who is type one, she was allowed an extra "medical carry on" that had all of her supplies. Obviously we couldn't afford to have it get lost so it stayed with us the whole time. No security issues at all.

Edited by cruise1957

@stuckintexas I understand your husband uses insulin so maybe this would not help him at all, but thought I would mention it.  My mother was a diet controlled diabetic for years and requested a note from her doctor explaining he condition and asking that she be allowed to bring snacks she prepared herself when she flew, so they would not confiscate what she brought.  I don't know if the TSA will still honor a note like this, but you could check with the TSA.  She did this after she was delayed in a very small town airport unexpectedly with no food options.  Just a thought.  Disregard if it is not an option or needed.  I am not trying to influence your thoughts in anyway, just making a suggestion.  

I was on a cruise in January with 2 diabetics at our table and from their discussions they seemed to do well on the cruise. I do know one of them was very active as many have suggested.

Enjoy your cruise.  

7 hours ago, cruisnfool said:

... several bites is enough ... I don’t have to count calories or sugar. 

Yes, the "several bites" idea is a very good one.  Get the dessert, have a few bites -- the first couple bites are always best anyway!  

7 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

If that is all you are getting from a doctor, that is too bad, I would find a new one ... Doctor Google is not the solution to everything and can lead to a lot of bad information and unneeded concern. 

I don't think you're reading what I'm saying:

- Why would I leave the doctor who took me from a Diabetes diagnosis back to normal A1C levels and has kept me "normal" for 3-4 years?  Clearly he's given me excellent advice. 

- Yes, the Diabetic Nutrition class and the Nutritionist were extremely helpful.  Let's not forget the Pharmacist too; he's the one who taught me how to use my meter.

- But these experts aren't available to me 24/7, and the internet /books provide a different type of help.  To give one example, one of my goals was to start eating more fish, but the only fish I grew up eating /knew how to cook was breaded and fried (and served with French fries).  I can't call the doctor and ask him for healthy fish recipes on a Saturday afternoon, but the internet gave me some excellent options -- and I chose using the parameters the doctor had provided.  The internet pointed me towards low-carb brands of which I wasn't aware.  You Tube has provided me with no-cost exercise routines that I'm more prone to use because I can use them in my own house.  

- It was also the support websites that let me know how to get a cheaper meter and test strips /less out-of-pocket than the doctor and insurance.  

- I'm not saying the doctor /other professionals aren't the absolute best starting point -- but consider ALL the help that's available.  Sift it through the lens of common sense and your own needs.

6 hours ago, shippmates said:

I select my menu the night before 

That's a good idea.  When I was newly diagnosed, I'd look up a restaurant's menu before going out to dinner, and I'd make my decisions ahead of time.  Back then I had to look up carbs in this-or-that item, and it took me a lot more time.  Being able to look at the menu ahead of time really helped me.  

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

At the Windjammer, I would take a hot dog without a bun.

A Windjammer idea:  hamburger patty without a bun topped with chili.  I can't eat a whole one, but it's a tasty lunch. 

At home I don't eat hot dogs often, but I make a fathead dough, cut it into long skinny strips and "twirl" it around a hot dog, then bake it.  I think I got that idea from Diabetes Daily, and it's called a Swirly Dog.  

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I check my blood sugars 4-5 times a day and can make smart decisions that do not affect my baseline glucose levels. 

When I was newly diagnosed, I needed to check my glucose level often.  Now I'm much more aware of what works /doesn't work -- that just takes time, and I recognize the unpleasant feeling of my levels "going too low".  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't think you're reading what I'm saying:

- Why would I leave the doctor who took me from a Diabetes diagnosis back to normal A1C levels and has kept me "normal" for 3-4 years?  Clearly he's given me excellent advice. 

- Yes, the Diabetic Nutrition class and the Nutritionist were extremely helpful.  Let's not forget the Pharmacist too; he's the one who taught me how to use my meter.

Your posts are very difficult to read as you have been told many times. I only read long run-on posts with no paragraphs or spacing so far and then I just skim as it is impossible to figure out what you are quoting as you do partial quotes out of context.

I have read up until you say a pharmacist had to teach you how to use your meter and am done.  Not worth responding......😲

We have thought about canceling the trip

WHY?????

My dad is type 2 and loves cruising. My friend's mom is type 1 and has been cruising for many years. Diabetes doesn't make you unable to cruise - your DH just needs to manage his carb intake better.

Veggies for a side instead of carbs and a sugar free or no sugar added dessert, make sure to combine carbs with protein and take his meds (that's if he is type 2).

We've never had a problem flying with our glucose testing supplies.

• Like 1

I have cruised over 20 years as a diabetic type 2. I wear an nsulin pump. First, alcohol stresses the liver. However, i drink rum and diet coke. No carbs. Second, travel with insulin in a bag that can hold a  freezer gel bag.  I take 150 units a day. I try to regulate it as best i can. Heat and then cold weakens its effectiveness.the only problem is airlines and a melted freezer gel bag. TSA has taken them away. Finally sugar free and no sugar added is deceptive. They still have carbs. These desserts may lots of carbs. Carbs and fat give flavor. Enjoy the trip. My next cruise is the Icon. Lots of walking. And my wife and i will make great memories. 

Just to add my Wife was given a blood sugar monitor from the start,she got a little fixated with it at first but now checks 3 times a day,the monitor she has now tells her how many units of insulin to take given the reading.

You have to have a treat now & then,otherwise life isn't worth living,just don't overdo it!

This thread brought up one thing I had forgotten,finding out some surprising things which are not good for diabetics,notably fruit,amazing how many people I have known been diagnosed as diabetic & given up alcohol & hit the Orange juice or Pineapple juice,we all know that's healthy don't we!?! 

9 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Your posts are very difficult to read as you have been told many times. I only read long run-on posts with no paragraphs or spacing so far and then I just skim as it is impossible to figure out what you are quoting as you do partial quotes out of context.

I have read up until you say a pharmacist had to teach you how to use your meter and am done.  Not worth responding......😲

Since you find bullet points flummoxing, I invite you to skip right over anything I say.  

5 hours ago, geckoaz said:

I have cruised over 20 years as a diabetic type 2. I wear an nsulin pump. First, alcohol stresses the liver. However, i drink rum and diet coke. No carbs. Second, travel with insulin in a bag that can hold a  freezer gel bag.  I take 150 units a day. I try to regulate it as best i can. Heat and then cold weakens its effectiveness.the only problem is airlines and a melted freezer gel bag. TSA has taken them away. Finally sugar free and no sugar added is deceptive. They still have carbs. These desserts may lots of carbs. Carbs and fat give flavor. Enjoy the trip. My next cruise is the Icon. Lots of walking. And my wife and i will make great memories. 

Good points: 

- Alcohol can throw things out of whack, and many cocktails are chock-ful of sugar.  

- Yes, sugar-free is deceptive.  One of the best things I've ever heard is, Read the back of the package /not the front.  

- Yes to lots of walking, which is easy on a cruise.  

3 hours ago, snaefell said:

This thread brought up one thing I had forgotten,finding out some surprising things which are not good for diabetics,notably fruit,amazing how many people I have known been diagnosed as diabetic & given up alcohol & hit the Orange juice or Pineapple juice,we all know that's healthy don't we!?! 

Yes, fruit and fruit juice are a perfect example of how healthy low-carb /Diabetic eating isn't the same as general healthy eating, which we all learned in school.  

One other thing that comes to mind is so called special foods for diabetics,i.e. Ice cream or sweets for diabetics,for my Wife at least they turned out to have laxative properties.

We have thought about canceling the trip but have had it planned for awhile and were really looking forward to it until life threw us this curve ball…..any advise would be appreciated. 

There is no curve ball.  Enjoy your cruise. Enjoy the food. Do not limit yourself to a special meal prepared by the ship. Be smart on what you order and how much of the high carb items you eat. We sail 6 or more times a year without any impact to our diabetes. And without feeling that we are giving up the cruise experience

• Like 3

A food diary can be helpful in pinpointing triggers.  Educating yourselves makes selecting foods less stressful.  Eating cleaner most of the time, regular exercise, and drinking water is healthy advice for most everyone.

My DS has T1 and DH T2, but this has not changed our travel.  The biggest thing is getting through those first weeks of testing and understanding what food does to you.  DS does get a sharps container and sometimes we can get a medical refrigerator for insulin and shelf chocolate milk he uses to treat low blood sugars.  DH is taking oral medication so does not need anything.  They are both able to choose wisely from the menu and in the buffet.  We are also very busy so the extra steps help.

• Like 1

I'm also diabetic on insulin but I have a continuous glucose monitor attached.

Can anyone please recommend some low sugar alcoholic drinks? Usually I go for a nice riesling because they're not too sweet or too bitter, or a glass of champagne but I'm not sure what Royal has, and would like to try something new. I don't have the alcoholic drink package, just the soda package.  TIA! 

We have thought about canceling the trip but have had it planned for awhile and were really looking forward to it until life threw us this curve ball…..any advise would be appreciated. 

Go and enjoy the cruise! I hope you have a great time and wish you the best! 

On 3/1/2024 at 7:01 PM, reallyitsmema said:

@stuckintexas  The most important advice I want to add to this thread is do what your doctor tells you and what works best for you!  Some of the advice on this thread is way out there!  Test on the schedule your doctor wants you to test and worry about the blood sugar levels you have been advised to watch for.  No two diabetics are the same and no one in this thread knows what your husband's medical history is, so some of these food recommendations might not be right for him. 

Thank you for saying this!  This is super important and is really the only advice I'd feel comfortable giving to a fellow T2D.  No two diabetics are the same.   

• Like 2

On 3/1/2024 at 5:13 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

4-5 years ago I was diagnosed as a Diabetic, and I also was scared.  Sometimes I was literally afraid to eat because I didn't know what was good /what was bad for me -- one day I ugly cried in front of my boss because I was hungry and literally didn't know what was okay to eat. 

It took me a while to get a handle on what it means to "eat healthy" in a low-carb way.  It seems to go against some of the rules you've learned all your life; for example, whole grain bread is supposed to be good for you, right?  But if you're diabetic, you need to limit even whole grains.  Fruit, which you've been told all your life is good for you, is a bit high in sugar.  

Be honest with yourself about the carbs you're eating.  Keeping a notebook can make all the difference.  Ignore "net carbs" -- that's a marketing technique to get you to buy processed foods.  Count all your carbs.  

Initially my doctor put me on a Keto diet, and it did WONDERS for me.  He specified that this isn't a good choice long-term, but my numbers were out of whack in one direction, and I needed to go "extreme" in the other direction to get myself back to a mid-point.  

Lots of Diabetics will tell you "Eat to your meter".  You do have a blood glucose meter, right?  If not, get one right away -- it's probably cheaper for you to buy a basic model at Walmart or Target than to go through your insurance.  And as a new Diabetic, you need to test often -- it's how you'll learn.  You want your blood sugar to be below 100 before you eat, and you want to return to 100 within 2-3 hours.  (Your blood sugar will be high right after eating, even if you've been very, very good.)  Keep records of what works for you; for example, apples skyrocket my blood sugar, but I'm okay with popcorn -- not all Diabetics are.  

Exercise matters too.  My doctor says, You don't have to move fast, but you have to move at least 30 minutes every day.  

Do you have access to a Diabetic Nutrition Workshop and/or a Nutritionist through your doctor?  Both were super helpful to me.  

Today I'm rather moderate in what I eat, and I am no longer Diabetic -- though if I start eating poorly again, that'll change!  On holidays and my birthday, I allow myself a really good "cheat meal + dessert", but I make it ONLY ONE meal.  No making a cheesecake and eating the leftovers for 3-4 days.  No ordering lasagna and taking home half of it for tomorrow.  

Here's some of what I've learned.  I hope it'll help you:  

- You must control your carbohydrates.  Get your doctor to give you an idea of how many carbs you are allowed to eat at each meal.  Ignore calories and fat.  Carbs are everything for a Diabetic. 

- Learning not to drink your carbohydrates is HUGE.  Water, of course, is best, but these drinks also have no carbs:  diet soda, unsweetened iced tea, coffee.  You can add artificial sweetener to your tea and coffee.  Cream is fine for your coffee, but avoid milk (this is the kind of thing that you have to get your head around as you learn about low-carb).   I'm drinking an Iced Coffee with cream and Splenda right now ... it's one of my go-to treats.  

- The two things I NEVER touch are full-sugar soda and juice.  

- Most of our meals are meat + vegetables.  At first it seemed "wrong" to skip rice, potatoes or pasta + rolls, but now it seems normal.  At home, we often have a piece of fish, chicken or a hamburger patty + oven-roasted vegetables or a marinated salad. 

- I strongly suggest you embrace meat + veg rather than trying to reproduce carb-heavy meals with "fake" items.  

- Be careful of breaded items.  Start cooking your pork chops or chicken-fried steak without breading.  

- Vegetables are the key to healthy Diabetic eating.  I make a BIG sheet pan of roasted vegetables twice a week.  Just frozen mixed veg roasted 30-40 minutes at 450 degrees, drizzled with olive oil and spices.  Broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, Brussels sprouts, peppers are all great choices; root vegetables are, of course, better than grains, but they're higher than the aforementioned veg, so take it easier on onions, butternut squash, and their ilk.  

- Potatoes are your enemy ... French fries, chips, they are all out to get you.  

- We are big on seafood.  We love to cook crab legs or shrimp.  Fish too.  

- I still love lasagna, mac-and-cheese, pizza, etc., but I have a moderate piece + balance it out with salads for the rest of the day.  We always go with thin-crust pizza now.  

- Lunches are hard because we're all so conditioned to go with sandwiches.  Most fillings are okay, but the bread is too high in carbs.  I've developed the habit of having HALF a sandwich with lots of filling.  No to fat, hoagie sandwiches like Subway or Jimmy John's ... too much bread.  

- Breakfast is easy, though repetive.  Eggs and bacon or sausage are no-carb.  Just skip the grits, biscuit or toast.  Bacon dipped in guacamole is a really good breakfast.  I often keep a bowl of boiled eggs in the refrigerator for quick breakfasts.  Omelets or scrambled eggs with a bit of salsa are good.  

- Snacks are hard.  Pickles and cheese are a safe choice.  Pepperoni is good too.  

- Check out Keto recipes on Pinterest.  Try the Big Mac salad.  

- One of the best pieces of advice I ever heard:  Read the back of the package, not the front.  LOTS of things at the grocery store claim to be Keto, yet when you look at the back of the package they're not low carb at all.  

- Be careful with your condiments.  Catsup, BBQ sauce and many other condiments are loaded with sugar.  Sweet Baby Ray's and G Hughes are name-brands that offer no /low sugar options, and they're good.  On the other hand, butter is your friend.  

- My two go-to sweets are 1) Sugar-free Jello with whipped cream /and, to a lesser extent, Sugar-free Jello pudding whipped with cream.  2) Homemade popsicles made with Jello and cream; recipes on Pinterest.  

- Another thing that helps when I absolutely want something to eat and have no business eating:  Sugar-free gum.  

- Things that're usually safe to order in a restaurant:  Chicken wings + celery sticks.  Chicken salad over a green salad.  Salad with a protein.  Steak, chicken or salmon + green vegetable.  Chicken & broccoli at a Chinese restaurant.  

- You don't have to be perfect about your diet ... just better than you used to be.  

And here are some specifics for cruises: 

- Watch your beverages.  Consider bringing little tubes of powdered drink mix or squirt-bottles of drink mix ... it's hard to know what's low carb on the ship.  

- It's very easy to eat low-carb in the buffet:  a big salad and a piece of chicken or fish is very low carb.  Once your numbers are well-established, you can add a small dessert or a piece of bread.  

- In the MDR, ask them to skip your bread basket.  It's just so easy to eat 2-3 pieces while you're waiting.  

- Order simple items without sauces.  Order roast beef, fish, shrimp cocktail, salads.  Skip soups, Indian foods with complex sauces.  If you order a baked potato, rice, etc., eat only half of it.  

- You ask about a sharps container ... you're using Insulin?  Already as a newly diagnosed Diabetic?  Yes, you can request one for your cabin.  Email special_needs@rccl.com  

- Definitely go on the cruise!  Try to aim for watching what you eat /without being paranoid about it.  Aim for lots of exercise to offset a less-than-stellar diet week.  

Great post, very helpful Thanks !!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2024 at 1:50 PM, musicman85 said:

I'm also diabetic on insulin but I have a continuous glucose monitor attached.

Can anyone please recommend some low sugar alcoholic drinks? Usually I go for a nice riesling because they're not too sweet or too bitter, or a glass of champagne but I'm not sure what Royal has, and would like to try something new. I don't have the alcoholic drink package, just the soda package.  TIA! 

I’m a T1 diabetic. I find dry sparkling wines and red wines good. Any cocktails that are not too liqueur heavy and don’t contain juice, full sugar mixes or simple syrup.

I like Martini’s. I’ve found Aperol Sprtiz is also a refreshing one. 

Remember that alcohol can affect your blood sugar and may cause lows. So monitor carefully and maybe reconsider the nightcap. 

On 3/2/2024 at 5:21 AM, stuckintexas said:

Probably not the right place to ask this question, but didn’t really see a place to ask other than disabled cruisers…..so any help would be appreciated. Husband was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of weeks ago and we have a cruise planned in about a month. Just wondering how others navigate thru the process. I know we need to fill out a special needs form for a sharps container, but how about meals? Do you request a special type of food selection or are you able to make selections from the buffet and main dining room? He has to monitor his carb intake to keep the sugar numbers down. We have thought about canceling the trip but have had it planned for awhile and were really looking forward to it until life threw us this curve ball…..any advise would be appreciated. 

Definitely don’t cancel! I have T1 diabetes and travel all the time.

Some other things to consider:

- take back ups of everything. A spare CGM, at least a few days extra of any medication.

-purchase  travel insurance that includes the diabetes diagnosis 

- all medication goes in carry on. As do replacement CGM. Depending on the model of CGM it may not be able to go through metal detector or Xray machine. You can request a pat down and visual examination. Allow extra time for this. I wear a Dexcom G7 and it is fine for metal detectors etc.

- Be aware that heat, unusual activity may lower or raise blood sugar levels more than normal. Have some hypo treatments handy (smarties I think are common in the USA. I use mentos). 

- note from the doctor that specifically states medication and if the CGM can’t go through airport security machines can be useful (although ive never been asked for it).

Enjoy your trip!