Labadee?

48 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

If you think there is anything at all in Labadee that these gangs want you are dreaming. 

You forgot about the previously mentioned jet skis.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You forgot about the previously mentioned jet skis.

I thought they are using them to get to the Florida coast, since they couldn’t fly from the airport.😉😀🤨

9 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I thought they are using them to get to the Florida coast, since they couldn’t fly from the airport.😉😀🤨

Hopefully, they are smart enough to refuel in Cuba or they might all get picked up by Oasis as she cruises around and end up back at Labadee.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just one event  is all it takes. 3 dozen angry Haitian guys with machetes and nothing to lose - no thanks. I can't  believe the cruise ship companies (or their insurers) are even allowing this to persist.

Edited by dfwguy
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, dfwguy said:

Just one event  is all it takes. 3 dozen angry Haitian guys with machetes and nothing to lose - no thanks. I can't  believe the cruise ship companies (or their insurers) are even allowing this to persist.

So many hysterical posters who have real anger that a cruise line continues to call at Labadee like they have done for about 30 years. Before Cruise Critic existed there were these same type discussions on Usenet with horrified  people who could not believe a cruise line called at Labadee, Haiti. Lots of imagination in them.

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, dfwguy said:

No one seems to appreciate the fact that this type of behavior does not serve the purpose not have any profitable motive. 

This thread made it to CNN.  And let's see, "a former journalist who lives in Hinche in Central Haiti, says there are no political tensions there like those in Port-au-Prince, and “Labadee, in the North, is also 100% out of danger.”

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Anton said:

This thread made it to CNN.  And let's see, "a former journalist who lives in Hinche in Central Haiti, says there are no political tensions there like those in Port-au-Prince, and “Labadee, in the North, is also 100% out of danger.”

And of course criminals never travel and only are violent in certain areas. Like we never thought the gangs would move out of Chicago for their smash and grabs in suburbs 30 miles away. And yet they are! The US says it's citizens should leave Haiti immediately.  They didn't say except for Labadee. Enough said 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

And of course criminals never travel and only are violent in certain areas. Like we never thought the gangs would move out of Chicago for their smash and grabs in suburbs 30 miles away. And yet they are! The US says it's citizens should leave Haiti immediately.  They didn't say except for Labadee. Enough said 

The sky is falling!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dfwguy said:

Jimani, Dominican Republic is 30 miles from Port Au Prince. Last report is they are not seeing any sign of trouble and have taken very little extra precautions.  I would have little to no worry about visiting Labadee.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Jimani, Dominican Republic is 30 miles from Port Au Prince. Last report is they are not seeing any sign of trouble and have taken very little extra precautions.  I would have little to no worry about visiting Labadee.  

There was an incident on Tuesday at the Dominican Republic border and reports I have read indicated that the Dominican Republic was taking additional steps to further secure their border.  

I'm not saying Labadee is in immediate danger but I don't agree that the Dominican Republic has taken "very little extra precautions".

• Like 3

DR is worry about  thousands of Haitian refugees rushing over the border more than Haitian gangsters. DR has rushed troops and armored vehicles to the border and will seal it shut as soon as there is sign of trouble. 

8 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

So you are going to take hostage, citizens of the country most likely financing your coup? This helps your cause in what way?? 

Alarmist to the max

Nothing to see here, keep moving. That is your view right? Keep your head in the sand?  I guess when the locals had their little tantrum and surrounded a ship a couple years ago it was an anomaly?  Or maybe, just maybe...it sets the stage for something more nefarious happening at a later date? Personally, I think it is better to be cautious. my motto is never place yourself in a position with a high rate of failure. At this current time, there are several other cruise ports to visit other than Labadee. Now, if you want to keep pushing your narrative of nothing to see here...I think maybe you may have an alternative motive...like you are travel agent lol...whatever your deal is, with your current view, you certainly don't have my best interest in mind. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I think Labadee has a better chance of being taken over by Haitian refugees than the BBQ gangs. When starving people run out of bare necessities to sustain lives, they will start walking towards areas that offer them a better chance of survival. It happens in every conflict zone around the world and Labadee will not be immune from this. 

Edited by sfaaa
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

I think Labadee has a better chance of being taken over by Haitian refugees than the BBQ gangs. When starving people run out of bare necessities to sustain lives, they will start walking towards areas that offer them a better chance of survival. It happens in every conflict zone around the world and Labadee will not be immune from this. 

They'll head to the DR before they trek to Labadee.

It's a 1:20 minute drive to Jamani, DR...  There is a whole lot more to loot there than whatever a days supplies might be at Labadee

Edited by Tree_skier

16 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I feel bad that you can't get travel insurance if a ship visits Haiti or Hatian waters (Haitian waters is a lot of miles) but there is no requirement to have insurance or that UK citizens go to Haiti. I am sure the Royal Caribbean group will stop going to Labadee if they determine it is unsafe. I don't think they will stop because citizens of a small European country can't get insurance. 

This is a bit tongue in cheek, but UK insurers are taking a risk when we depart our 'small European Country' to Haiti so the odds are against them for us meeting a grizzly end.

The murder rate in some US states though is significantly higher than Haiti, even allowing for under reporting US insurers have better odds for some of you walking around in Port au Prince than being at home.

8 hours ago, rolloman said:

Nothing to see here, keep moving. That is your view right? Keep your head in the sand?  I guess when the locals had their little tantrum and surrounded a ship a couple years ago it was an anomaly?  Or maybe, just maybe...it sets the stage for something more nefarious happening at a later date? Personally, I think it is better to be cautious. my motto is never place yourself in a position with a high rate of failure. At this current time, there are several other cruise ports to visit other than Labadee. Now, if you want to keep pushing your narrative of nothing to see here...I think maybe you may have an alternative motive...like you are travel agent lol...whatever your deal is, with your current view, you certainly don't have my best interest in mind. 

They didn’t surround a ship; good lord. 
A couple dozen fishing boats moored in the channel so a ship could not approach; this was a PEACEFUL protest against the Haitian government and fuel prices. Royal did not dock that one day 

I agree not to position yourself in a position with a high rate of failure. Currently the failure rate at Labadee is 0%

Regarding the whole UK travel insurance thing, this advisory has been in effect since 2019 and people from the UK have been deciding to go there or not since then. The recent situation in Haiti doesn't all sudden make this an issue. 

1 hour ago, AandBmom said:

Regarding the whole UK travel insurance thing, this advisory has been in effect since 2019 and people from the UK have been deciding to go there or not since then. The recent situation in Haiti doesn't all sudden make this an issue. 

Thank you