PSA: No magnets are safe - stolen door magnets on Encore

Just got off the Encore where I sailed with my family of 9. I created some custom magnets for our doors to make the trip extra special and serve as souvenirs for the members of our group who had never cruised before. We had small custom NCL Encore magnets with our cruise date on it and of our 4 rooms who had the magnet, 3 of them were stolen right off our doors on the last day. Shout out to Deck 10 forward thieves if you're on this board. 

Never did I think I had to worry about magnets getting stolen from our doors, but here we are. Happy cruising. 

May not be kids

NCL has a rule against putting any kind of decoration on the outside of your cabin door.  Some Hotel Managers are better at enforcing the rule than others.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

May not be kids

NCL has a rule against putting any kind of decoration on the outside of your cabin door.  Some Hotel Managers are better at enforcing the rule than others.

In our case it was a white board, other magnets were left. 

12 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

These will be the next thing that’s being banned, didn’t Carnival Cruise Lines just ban door magnets? 

NCL banned door decorations several years ago. Just not always enforced.

But if they are removed by the crew for violating policy, they should have been left in the room.  And removed at the beginning of the cruise, not the last day.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, julig22 said:

NCL banned door decorations several years ago. Just not always enforced.

But if they are removed by the crew for violating policy, they should have been left in the room.  And removed at the beginning of the cruise, not the last day.

Banned door decorations. 🤔

On NCL can I decorate or put up magnets inside the cabin? Since door decorations and door magnets are banned? I saw on another forum, where someone had used wall magnets inside the cabin to hang up the daily ship program, hats, bathroom items, a plastic shoe rack for toiletries, and even umbrellas. 

Just now, dmwnc1959 said:

Banned door decorations. 🤔

On NCL can I decorate or put up magnets inside the cabin? Since door decorations and door magnets are banned? I saw on another forum, where someone had used wall magnets inside the cabin to hang up the daily ship program, hats, bathroom items, a plastic shoe rack for toiletries, and even umbrellas. 

Sorry, didn't think I needed to specify outside door decorations, since that's the original subject - and most likely the extent of the Carnival ban you mentioned.

• Like 2

Just now, julig22 said:

Sorry, didn't think I needed to specify outside door decorations, since that's the original subject - and most likely the extent of the Carnival ban you mentioned.

Thought maybe NCL didn’t want magnets hanging up on their doors and walls due to possible damages. Had wall magnets on Royal Caribbean with no issue.

So it’s just door decorations on NCL that are banned? It’s my first cruise with them.

9 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Thought maybe NCL didn’t want magnets hanging up on their doors and walls due to possible damages. Had wall magnets on Royal Caribbean with no issue.

So it’s just door decorations on NCL that are banned? It’s my first cruise with them.

Yes. It's not magnets that are the issue, it's the fire hazzard/damage to the doors that was an issue. People use streamers, other paper for decorations and should something catch fire in the hallway... And tape can remove the paint on the door.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

So they were “stolen” (like the other guy’s luggage), not just removed by the staff for violating the policy? Or accidentally knocked off while shutting the door, etc?

Yes, stolen because we had several different magnets and only some of them were stolen, and the same one off of 3 of the 4 doors. Most other magnets were left on the door, seems like they were only interested in the Encore specific magnet, and one other fun one I made about being "On Island Time". And since the Island Time one was also "missing" and others were left, I would assume it wasn't about violating a policy. And what a coincidence it would be if the same magnet was just simply knocked off while shutting the door...

• Like 2

I'm so sorry.  I agree they were probably stolen because an employee would would have moved them inside your room.  

I make custom magnets for my kids to play with and leave them inside the room on the walls to play with for safety (our neighbors will probably figure out we have kids in the cabin but I figure its a. bit safer to not broadcast the fact that we have kids in this cabin to everyone on the ship). 

I bring a cheap unimportant magnet to put on the door that I don't care about so its easier for the kids to find our cabin, and I don't care if it disappears (which happened once but I brought a backup).  Unfortunately, you should probably only hang replaceable magnets on the doors because sometimes kids take them and relocate them as a prank and sometimes people steal them because they like them- and it seems like you were the victim of the latter given which magnets disappeared.  There are some people who have gone to security about this.  Personally, I'd feel like it was too small an item to spend my time and NCL security's time trying to track down a thief (obviously if someone stole my purse or phone I'd go to security and ask them to review the tapes.) but that's up to you. 

1 hour ago, dmwnc1959 said:

These will be the next thing that’s being banned, didn’t Carnival Cruise Lines just ban door magnets? 

Carnival is also BANNING all Mobility Scooters that can fit through a cabin doorway.  Scooters must be able be stored in your cabin.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Carnival is also BANNING all Mobility Scooters that can fit through a cabin doorway.  Scooters must be able be stored in your cabin.

Good!!!  The scooters left in the rather narrow hallways are a danger.  All cruise lines should insist they be stored in the room and not in public hallways.

• Like 17

4 hours ago, tizbo1423 said:

Just got off the Encore where I sailed with my family of 9. I created some custom magnets for our doors to make the trip extra special and serve as souvenirs for the members of our group who had never cruised before. We had small custom NCL Encore magnets with our cruise date on it and of our 4 rooms who had the magnet, 3 of them were stolen right off our doors on the last day. Shout out to Deck 10 forward thieves if you're on this board. 

Never did I think I had to worry about magnets getting stolen from our doors, but here we are. Happy cruising. 

You never know what people will do, but apparently some think that anything in the hallway is fair game. They might have been drunk and playing a prank by putting it on another door, or truly were stealing it, either way it's not right.
  I saw someone that kept their charger outside on a hallway outlet during our last cruise, one day it wasn't there so I don't know if they were using it, or it got swiped...or if housekeeping took it because they had no idea who it belonged to.

50 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Me thinks you meant "Scooters that can't fit through a cabin doorway"?

• Like 1

I'm guessing your particular magnets made attractive souvenirs, unfortunately, since they were ship and date specific.  No excuse for theft, of course.  I always put a single small magnet on our cabin door simply because I have trouble remembering numbers.  I think it has lasted through 20 cruises on all different lines simply because it's small and nondescript.  I do sympathize as I have done a lot of semi-professional party decor and some people feel free to walk off with stuff I own and plan to use again at other events.

1 hour ago, drew69 said:

Good!!!  The scooters left in the rather narrow hallways are a danger.  All cruise lines should insist they be stored in the room and not in public hallways.

NCL already has this....

" All scooters and wheelchairs MUST be stored in the stateroom. Due to the safety and escape way requirements established by SOLAS regulations, they cannot be stored in the hallways, stairways, or any other public area."

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

NCL already has this....

" All scooters and wheelchairs MUST be stored in the stateroom. Due to the safety and escape way requirements established by SOLAS regulations, they cannot be stored in the hallways, stairways, or any other public area."

They do occasionally get stored in the hallways. NCL does do a better job at enforcing this than Carnival did. Carnival actually had a similar policy. They're just enforcing it also.

I'd like to see NCL enforce no housekeeping carts in the hallway since those block a good 50% of the hall. I may be joking. Or I may not be, but housekeeping carts = mobility scooters to me. Oh, and I'm crazy enough to think it's ok for folks to put their dirty dishes in the hallway. 

Oh wait. We're talking about magnets. Yikes! However did we get to scooters in the first place? I'm absolutely in the school of, magnets are no more a safety issue than the towels on the housekeeping carts. If it makes someone happy (and doesn't damage the door), then magnetize away!

We're not talking Holland America (or Disney) style magnets and door decorations here!

image.thumb.jpeg.6f5ae7b69fa97635a0313b6254d61446.jpeg

To the OP, I'm sorry your magnets were stolen! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2