No more embarkation day lunch in the MDR fleetwide!

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Ahhh, so now the waiters and cooks are cleaning cabins and moving luggage?  Hmmm.  Lets call it like it is....just one more HAL cut-back.

No, the cooks are not but the waiters have often helped with the boarding process.   For example, the Pinnacle Grill staff have been taking care of the wheel chair passengers for some time.

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

More cost cutting by HAL but to tell the truth we only went to one luncheon, they should go back to the Mariners cocktail party for all Mariners.

The Mariner’s recognition/cocktail party has been re-instated.  Our Meet and Greet has been set for a different time so as to not conflict with it 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

No, the cooks are not but the waiters have often helped with the boarding process.   For example, the Pinnacle Grill staff have been taking care of the wheel chair passengers for some time.

Well, that's right, kazu.  It sure is a tradition of vessels, from a showboat on the Mississippi and on to the big ships, that everyone pitches in because of the space constraints.  People forget that sometimes.  (Although I'm not questioning that cutbacks are taking place.  They always are messing with this or that -- seeing what they can get away with.  Business as usual.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, kazu said:

The Mariner’s recognition/cocktail party has been re-instated.  Our Meet and Greet has been set for a different time so as to not conflict with it 😉 

Good.

• Haha 1

HAL has also now closed the MDR every day the ship is in port. And for everything they cut, there are very few things they add instead. They added Lincoln Stage, but that's gone. They added milkshakes and those are  actually great!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, sambamama said:

HAL has also now closed the MDR every day the ship is in port.

I assume you mean for lunch?  I don’t recall lunch ever being available in the MDR on a port day for a very long time.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

I hope this is not a precursor to charging for the privilege along the lines of Royal Caribbean’s “Key” program……

Actually, this is a good idea. If someone purchases Club Orange then they culd have access to the MDR on embarkation day. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I don't think you are correct with this. There are plenty of "family friendly" cruise lines to choose from. There are plenty of people of a certain mindset who prefer a quieter experience. Some say the "HAL demographic" is dying off and fading away. I say not so fast; there are new people who have cruised with other lines and now want a different experience. This is the HAL demographic regardless of age, as some move on, more join the group.

I guess we'll see what happens. I predict in 20 years that cruising will be either mega ships (6000+ passengers) or small luxury lines with less than 1200 passengers. People will need to pick a lane.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I guess we'll see what happens. I predict in 20 years that cruising will be either mega ships (6000+ passengers) or small luxury lines with less than 1200 passengers. People will need to pick a lane.

I hope that's not where this all lands. For several reasons, I'm happily in the middle and would no longer be an active cruiser if it played out that way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I actually like the idea of making the MDR exclusive to whichever Mariner tier the ship feels they can accommodate on the day of embarkation.  It would be a nice way to say “thank you for your loyalty” with little-to-no impact on cost or staff.  

I still think HAL offers value and quality at a great price-point.  It will be a sad day if they depreciate themselves into an inferior product.  I don’t think that is their intent, though.  All businesses must look at ways to cut costs to maintain quality.  Some changes work, while others don’t.  The only way to know for sure is to test the waters.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I actually like the idea of making the MDR exclusive to whichever Mariner tier the ship feels they can accommodate on the day of embarkation.  It would be a nice way to say “thank you for your loyalty” with little-to-no impact on cost or staff.  

I still think HAL offers value and quality at a great price-point.  It will be a sad day if they depreciate themselves into an inferior product.  I don’t think that is their intent, though.  All businesses must look at ways to cut costs to maintain quality.  Some changes work, while others don’t.  The only way to know for sure is to test the waters.

I agree!  And I'm only a 3 Star but could live if they make the MDR for embarkation day only 4 or 5 star.  Those "thank you for your loyalty" perks are a great way to thank those of us that are loyal to HAL (and I've only cruised with HAL and plan on continuing with them in the future - will be 4 star at the end of 2024).  And I agree that hopefully they will never depreciate themselves into an inferior product.  I think they are a great product for the price.  Have a great day!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

That's how it used to work. For me, it said "welcome back." The only issue was if your Mariner tier was in or out, it could be awkward at the podium. A friend was 2 star and got in one time and not the next. They should have had a sign "Luncheon for our 3-star and above Mariners" or something like that, the number depending on the passenger makeup. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

A friend was 2 star and got in one time and not the next. 

That would be a great opportunity for a manager or the maître d to show a little flexibility, rather than embarrass a passenger. A little kindness can go a long way in cementing loyalty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think that the MDR should be open on embarkation day...or not. The idea of it being a "Mariner's" lunch is just off. I understand there is a "Mariner's Lunch" later in the voyage. As many people who have read my posts know, I don't get the whole quote my "status" mindset. There are many people who post on these boards (on all lines) who clearly have many sea days and they don't feel the need to mention status. Their opinions hold value to me. On that point my wife and I are 2* mariners, we have been on one 11 day cruise with HAL. Do I get into the "Mariner's Lunch"? Probably not. Will we go when we reach the lofty status required for an invite? Probably not. We will however happily take the free laundry if we ever get to 4*.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think that the MDR should be open on embarkation day...or not. The idea of it being a "Mariner's" lunch is just off. I understand there is a "Mariner's Lunch" later in the voyage. As many people who have read my posts know, I don't get the whole quote my "status" mindset. There are many people who post on these boards (on all lines) who clearly have many sea days and they don't feel the need to mention status. Their opinions hold value to me. On that point my wife and I are 2* mariners, we have been on one 11 day cruise with HAL. Do I get into the "Mariner's Lunch"? Probably not. Will we go when we reach the lofty status required for an invite? Probably not. We will however happily take the free laundry if we ever get to 4*.

I do get that that brand loyalty, to the exclusion of some, might cause offense, even if it’s not something you will make use of.  What I don’t get is that it drops into the “not offensive” category when it’s something you desire (free laundry).

I participate in a number of rewards programs.  Some I make use of more than others.  I don’t begrudge someone who enjoys the benefits that I don’t, as they have spent more than I to get there.  If I want it, I can do the same.  It’s just not that important to me to be in a state of envy against those who have what I can’t.  Would I like it?  Sure.  Do I need it?  No.  I am just happy to be on a cruise.

• Like 1

@Miss G I think you missed my point. There is already a special "Mariner's Lunch" those who are invited enjoy if you choose to attend. If a person has a point of view or personal knowledge they want to share, then share it. No need to quote your "Mariner Status" to validate it. I think the MDR being open for lunch for a reasonable period say until 1430 hrs. on embarkation day would help set a tone for passengers new and returning who would enjoy a sit down lunch; as well as take part of the surge from the Lido. Unfortunately many people thought it was for "Mariners" only and since they weren't they didn't even try. Conversely some "Mariners" where upset that it was no longer exclusive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

At 78, DW and I won’t worry about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

@Blackduck59, yes, I guess I did miss your point!

I can’t say I have noticed that anyone is quoting mariner status to be lofty.  Well, with the exception of one poster, but I stopped reading those.  I think, where warranted, quoting status can be helpful to clarify a point.

I do see what you are saying with regard to embarkation day lunch, though.

Editing to add:  I wasn’t even aware the MDR was open on embarkation day until I happened to read it on CC a year or so ago.  That’s why I think it’s more to do with HAL not letting on than it has to do with tier status.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My first cruise ever was in 1959 (17 years old, student tour to Europe between high school and college). It was the Nieuw Amsterdam, 1938 version. There were three classes of passengers then - first class (access to the whole ship), cabin class (access to the lower two tiers only) and tourist class (access only to the lowest tier places). God forbid you cross the lines (as teenagers, we did!). It seems cruise lines are slipping back to that.

Jim

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:
50 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I can’t say I have noticed that anyone is quoting mariner status to be lofty...  I think, where warranted, quoting status can be helpful to clarify a point.

During the Q & A at the captain's talk on the Niew Statendam recently, a passenger prefaced his rant by quoting his 4* status, then went on to complain about an issue relating to guest services. The captain very diplomatically responded that he would meet with him later to try to sort things out. Shortly thereafter another guest started his comment by stating that was NOT a 4* and was met with applause. I think that demonstrates the general sentiment as it relates to status boasting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1