Handicap room waitlist

F355c5

Just now, F355c5 said:

Sadly princess doesn’t have a waitlist for a handicap room.

I tried and no waitlist , disappointed in this fact

I use a TA who checks periodically.  We book another cruise and cancel if one opens up.  Lots easier for them to do it.

Depending on the cruise can you change the date?

• Like 1

I've never heard of a waitlist and we also require an accessible cabin.  We book pretty far in advance to get one.  Are you past final payment date yet?  If not, check right after final payment and see if one pops up.  If it does, call Princess right away and make the request to change.  We have a TA cruise from Rome to FLL booked on HAL.  Princess didn't have any accessible Mini-Suites available, but we keep checking.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Unfortunately people will often book these rooms who do not need them.

I would escalate this with Princess and ask them if everyone booked in a handicapped room really needs it.

• Like 3

Fully paid for cruise. Just wish I could be notified if one becomes available.

guess I have to call princess every day.

they have waitlist for everything else.

58 minutes ago, Coral said:

I would escalate this with Princess and ask them if everyone booked in a handicapped room really needs it.

Yes. You get people who walk with a rollator who book these cabins. Then you get someone such as our oldest son who can't walk or stand at all and there are no cabins available that a wheelchair can even fit through the door.

If the category accessible cabin isn't available they must look at the next available category level that has one and give it to you for the price of the category you was trying to booked. I found this out when I talked to my CVP when I was looking for an accessible interior cabin for our last cruise, we got an accessible balcony for interior price. He said they had to follow ADA rules.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2024 at 4:57 PM, Moondogy said:

If the category accessible cabin isn't available they must look at the next available category level that has one and give it to you for the price of the category you was trying to booked. I found this out when I talked to my CVP when I was looking for an accessible interior cabin for our last cruise, we got an accessible balcony for interior price. He said they had to follow ADA rules.

We just booked a few days ago with the same situation and we were not offered this. Only a balcony Accessible room was available and we were looking for a interior. Such a bummer.

On 3/20/2024 at 4:42 PM, Thrak said:

Yes. You get people who walk with a rollator who book these cabins. Then you get someone such as our oldest son who can't walk or stand at all and there are no cabins available that a wheelchair can even fit through the door.

Princess should not have to triage the degree of a person's handicap. It might be the person with a rollator needs it to get into the shower of a handicap cabin. I'm sorry your son has such challenges. Booking early seems to be the most reliable way to get an accessible cabin.

• Like 5

On 3/20/2024 at 3:42 PM, Coral said:

Certainly agree.  But, how would Princess know about the specific needs of passengers in accessible cabins?  Last I knew the ADA banned inquiry of needs.  Those with disabilities can volunteer and ask for assistance,  but not required to so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Last I knew the ADA banned inquiry of needs.

That's overly broad.  A cruise line "shall not impose or apply eligibility criteria that screen out or tend to screen out an individual with a disability or any class of individuals with disabilities," but if they can't ask at all about someone's needs how are they supposed to provide an accessible cabin that meets their needs?

Not being able to ask about someone's needs is completely counterproductive to making reasonable accommodations to meet their needs, which is the whole point of the ADA.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Certainly agree.  But, how would Princess know about the specific needs of passengers in accessible cabins?  Last I knew the ADA banned inquiry of needs.  Those with disabilities can volunteer and ask for assistance,  but not required to so.

There is an over statement. My Mom had a Seeing Eye dog. We had to notify Princess of bringing the dog onboard whenever we cruised. They could not ask what disability my Mom had but could ask what services the dog provided to my Mom. So there are ways around the questions.

We were not shy about the fact it was a Seeing Eye dog. I had a letter from the Seeing Eye and also a letter from her doctor saying that she was blind and used the services of her Seeing Eye dog. I would send them the same letter each and every time we booked.

Edited by Coral

9 hours ago, MissAppleBear said:

We just booked a few days ago with the same situation and we were not offered this. Only a balcony Accessible room was available and we were looking for a interior. Such a bummer.

If I were you I'd be demanding to talk to your CVP's supervisor.  My CVP said they must do this per ADA.

3 hours ago, Moondogy said:

If I were you I'd be demanding to talk to your CVP's supervisor.  My CVP said they must do this per ADA.

I would rather REQUEST rather than demand.  It will probably get you further.

• Thanks 1

We have booked an accessible mini-suite on the Regal for November because my wife had a stroke.  She is able to walk just fine, but cannot bend her leg in order to get into a bathtub/shower combo.  

We found out that our MA mini stateroom was more expensive than a standard mini MB, but weren't charged the additional, because there are no MB staterooms that are accessible.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coral said:

There is an over statement. My Mom had a Seeing Eye dog. We had to notify Princess of bringing the dog onboard whenever we cruised. They could not ask what disability my Mom had but could ask what services the dog provided to my Mom. So there are ways around the questions.

We were not shy about the fact it was a Seeing Eye dog. I had a letter from the Seeing Eye and also a letter from her doctor saying that she was blind and used the services of her Seeing Eye dog. I would send them the same letter each and every time we booked.

Think you missed my point.  Yes, a disabled person can disclose their disability and certainly any needs.  But you suggested Princess query those with rooms for those with special needs.  As said, Princess cannot ask anything.  Anyone can book (unfortunately) an ADA room and is not required to state any reason for their booking.

Similarly my DW carries a case with "medical" supplies.  A cruiseline (or an airline cannot inspect except a scan for weapons.

Princess can ask about the services the dog provides as dogs are not normally on board.   If I do not require and special services/allowances (I do for diet only and a trekking pole) They can ask only about why I require an otherwise banned or questionable item.

PS I book regular cabins

15 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Princess should not have to triage the degree of a person's handicap. It might be the person with a rollator needs it to get into the shower of a handicap cabin. I'm sorry your son has such challenges. Booking early seems to be the most reliable way to get an accessible cabin.

Agreed. Disabled people shouldn’t be judging each other When I had a handicap parking permit I was shocked at how many ableist comments and questions I’d get from other disabled people. 

Posted (edited)

I have a guaranteed interior cabin (IC) for a July cruise and just received a notice of my cabin which is indicated handicapped accessible.  I never requested it and would think there are many interior cabins available.  Only thing is I want it on Lido deck and there are no interior non-handicapped accessible rooms available on this floor for this sailing. .  

Edited by candy4040

Search for Princess mobility questionnaire. Complete the form and send it in. Get yourself a Princess Personal cruise consultant. We found that they were able to allocate us a cabin. We got the details of our cabin just days before the cruise.

12 hours ago, Coral said:

There is an over statement. My Mom had a Seeing Eye dog. We had to notify Princess of bringing the dog onboard whenever we cruised. They could not ask what disability my Mom had

but could ask what services the dog provided to my Mom.

So there are ways around the questions.

Spot on....

I do feel for those passengers that need an accessible cabin.  The bottom line to this is to book very early, keeping watching, and/or see what happens near Final Payment.  I understand that some are not planners and/or "stuff" comes up.  

Cruising isn't for everyone (dietary needs, handicaps, getting sea sick, etc).  But it is one of the best ways to travel, in my opinion.

On 3/20/2024 at 8:42 PM, Thrak said:

Who are you to say the rollator person doesn't need an accessible cabin? You know nothing of their disabilities but Princess do and they completed their mobility questionnaire to Princess's satisfaction.  They just booked earlier than you did and got one of the limited number of rooms while still available.  You could do the same but prefer not to and then moan about your greater right to it. 

I have a vested interest I admit, I book early enough for the type of cabin I need and if I'm too late then move on to an alternative option or cruise line but I've never sat in judgement as you do. I'm sure your son is as burdened as you say, but most people with experience like yours show rather more understanding than you do. 

Fwiw, I think Princess are fairly picky about who they allow into accessible cabins, and a lot more so than many lines.

• Like 1