Nieuw Amsterdam Explosion.

Have two friends currently on the Nieuw Amsterdam which experienced an explosive accident aboard the ship this morning. Two crew members were killed.

Very tragic information.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, julia said:

What???  Post link!!!  😲😪

Texted information from friends aboard the ship which was just announced and that the ship will be delayed in leaving Half Moon Cay.

Edited by PROCRUISE

It’s actually on Nieuw Amsterdam. I’m onboard now  At about 9 am the fire alarms and crew alert went off.  The captain came on and indicated we had a steam leak and they were evacuating some crew cabins above the engine rooms.  At about 10:15 they gave the all clear.  At about 3, the Captain came on and said two crew members had been killed.  Some of the crew say they were inspecting a steam line when it exploded.  We are being held in half moon cay pending coast guard investigations.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 19

3 minutes ago, tomahawk43 said:

It’s actually on Nieuw Amsterdam. I’m onboard now  At about 9 am the fire alarms and crew alert went off.  The captain came on and indicated we had a steam leak and they were evacuating some crew cabins above the engine rooms.  At about 10:15 they gave the all clear.  At about 3, the Captain came on and said two crew members had been killed.  Some of the crew say they were inspecting a steam line when it exploded.  We are being held in half moon cay pending coast guard investigations.

Thank you for updating us.... many prayers to the crew and passengers. 😪

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, tomahawk43 said:

Sorry about the wrong ship name. Very sad situation.

• Like 1

This is such a sad report and so tragic 😔. Losing crew on board is sad and traumatic on everyone on board.  Prayers for those crew members and their families 🙏 

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Maybe we shouldn't rush to release such info? Maybe let HAL do it?

I agree then you know the whole story.

Wow this was certainly sad.   I would be nervous if I were a crew member living near that part of the ship.

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Nieuw Amsterdam Explosion.
3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Maybe we shouldn't rush to release such info? Maybe let HAL do it?

I think it’s relevant info since the next cruise is almost certain to be delayed or cancelled, and the Captain has already publicly announced what happened. At this point the cause what speculative but they have already announced what happened. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I agree then you know the whole story.

I just know 4 or 5 days ago, on another site there was a post from someone on board Rotterdam that said they had pulled away from the dock at St Maarten and suddenly gone dead in the water, no power, mechanical problem, concluded the poster. In fact, it turned out to be a medical evacuation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were onboard a Celebrity ship when a crew member jumped overboard and was not recovered.  Celebrity and the ship refused to say anything.  A friend at home gave us the details from a news report in Canada.

The advantage of following Cruise Critic is that there is always a member on board some ship to give us first hand information or at least an inkling of what happened.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, tomahawk43 said:

I think it’s relevant info since the next cruise is almost certain to be delayed or cancelled, and the Captain has already publicly announced what happened. At this point the cause what speculative but they have already announced what happened. 

You had the correct info...incorrect info posted in a rush just leads to confusion and worse. Believe me, I know from experience...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I just know 4 or 5 days ago, on another site there was a post from someone on board Rotterdam that said they had pulled away from the dock at St Maarten and suddenly gone dead in the water, no power, mechanical problem, concluded the poster. In fact, it turned out to be a medical evacuation. 

yea in fact overall since I joined CC I hear more stories about every cruise line.

So many things can and will go wrong. Feel bad for the families of the two. 

Please people ... this is not the time to argue over what happened, why it happened, where it happened or who should be investigating, who should be reporting, etc ...  There will be a lot of time to discuss that later.  Now is the time to express sadness and compassion.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 9

Oh NO!!!  This is absolutely horrible.  I am so so sad and so very sorry for the victims, their families, and all the crew onboard who will be devastated.  Such a terrible terrible situation.  😭 💔

• Like 5