Is the loyalty program about to change??

Vallesan

Posted (edited)

We had a email survey from Oceania this morning questioning our thoughts about the current loyalty program.

At the moment we are silver so gratuities are included but now that Oceania has started to include gratuities in the UK we get a small OBC in lieu of that ‘perk’. 

Makes me think they are going to overhaul the loyalty program as well as introducing SimplyMore!

Edited by Vallesan
  • Like 1

I also got that survey. Unfortunately it didn't have a spot to put any comments or suggestions. They only want answers that will reflect the outcome of what they've already decided should happen. Many surveys are written this way. 

• Like 12

39 minutes ago, ORV said:

I also got that survey. Unfortunately it didn't have a spot to put any comments or suggestions. They only want answers that will reflect the outcome of what they've already decided should happen. Many surveys are written this way. 

Yes I agree.

I’m sure they have already decided and maybe they are just trying not to completely alienate their ‘loyal’ customers. So maybe they could make a few tweaks if the surveys suggest too much dissatisfaction.

The one question that we found difficult to answer was:

Would you prefer to …..

Frequently receive smaller rewards

OR

Receive larger rewards less frequently

My reading of that, and I must admit we weren’t quite sure which was to answer, was that either way they were going to reduce the ‘perks’. 

To be honest I’m not interested in the ‘pins’, ‘totes’, ‘hats’ or even their ‘special’ bottle of wine or cocktail parties,  I’d be quite happy with just a 10% reduction on the cruise price, combinable with all other offers!

Maybe I’m asking for too much!

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, ORV said:

I agree. No opportunity to comment and several of the questions were too broad. Sadly, I think it is typical of the O end of cruise surveys, though you can comment on those. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

With "Simply more" and decline in food quality O isn't a good fit for us anymore. That survey portends more cuts.

I’m fine with SimplyMore but if you aren’t and in your opinion the food has declined where is your next best? 

Edited by Vallesan

Based on previous comments, the one area that is most often mentioned is credits based on days of cruise being so broad at the lower up to 24 days in 1 credit......this was not addressed.

• Like 4

Oceania's is way superior to HAL, Royal Caribbean, but they use days of cruising rather than Oceania's method.  The one item I could do without is the spa credit.  I usually don't use it as you still end up paying a hefty sum. Several of the other lines have stopped issuing pins, which appears to annoy their members.  Yes, I agree they will be doing some type of reduction.  We will have to wait and see.  I think they now have so many President Club level members that they may be making a difference there.

• Like 1

I believe the most apparent change is you’ll have to cruise within a set timeframe to maintain your status. Distinct possibilities that other changes will soon follow , but expect this change to be implemented soon. 

I like counting nights, not cruises.  I have taken b2b cruises which were sold as Grand Cruises.  Got one point for 2 cruises.  It didn’t seem right.  I am elite plus on Celebrity.  I joined Celebrity Captains club many years ago when you paid $25 to join.  The benefits were worth it.  Later they counted cruises.  You needed 10 cruises to reach the top level, elite.   People who were close to 10, took a 3 day cruise to get to elite. When they converted to counting nights, those very short cruises seemed to be less popular.
All loyalty programs have good and bad features.  Basically it’s a gift.  Anything is welcome.  I prefer plans that include OBC, discounts on cruise fares, gratuities, and free laundry.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ORV said:

Exactly!

There were only two questions of significance on that survey- both carefully worded/limited to elicit “support” of bad news for the current program. One was “which worse-than-now situation would you prefer?” And the other was to “rank order only 3 items” (instead of prioritizing all items) which, of course, will end up erroneously suggesting that the O Club is basically irrelevant.

In addition, not having a space for written comments on that survey is unconscionable when so many of us who are O long-haulers are a tremendous resource for informing O’s corporate decision-making regarding the policies that directly impact the guest experience.

Since the survey was sent under Neli Arias’ signature, I urge all of you who know Neli (or who have corresponded with her) over the years) to contact her with your concerns AND reasonable suggestions for actually improving the O Club experience. 

BTW: small though telling item: Have you noticed that the onboard O Club “Ambassadors” are now referred to only as “Future Cruise Consultants?” The seesaw has fully flipped from “service” to “sales.”

• Like 8

11 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I believe the most apparent change is you’ll have to cruise within a set timeframe to maintain your status. Distinct possibilities that other changes will soon follow , but expect this change to be implemented soon. 

Yes Disney just did this.  Added a 5 year timeframe then credits expire.  

1 minute ago, davencl said:

Yes Disney just did this.  Added a 5 year timeframe then credits expire.  

Rumor is O’s time frame will be between 24-36 months to maintain benefits. We’ll know within a month.

5 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Exactly!

There were only two questions of significance on that survey- both carefully worded/limited to elicit “support” of bad news for the current program. One was “which worse-than-now situation would you prefer?” And the other was to “rank order only 3 items” (instead of prioritizing all items) which, of course, will end up erroneously suggesting that the O Club is basically irrelevant.

In addition, not having a space for written comments on that survey is unconscionable when so many of us who are O long-haulers are a tremendous resource for informing O’s corporate decision-making regarding the policies that directly impact the guest experience.

Since the survey was sent under Neli Arias’ signature, I urge all of you who know Neli (or who have corresponded with her) over the years) to contact her with your concerns AND reasonable suggestions for actually improving the O Club experience. 

BTW: small though telling item: Have you noticed that the onboard O Club “Ambassadors” are now referred to only as “Future Cruise Consultants?” The seesaw has fully flipped from “service” to “sales.”

I don't think they're interested in improving the experience.   They're interested in lowering their costs as low as they can without losing their psychological effects of increasing bookings. 

People keep thinking that loyalty programs are about being loyal to each other.   Sadly they aren't two way streets.   They're simply marketing programs to increase revenue generation. That's totally fine but you must understand the reasoning and if the program is important to you,  learn the ins and outs to maximize your benefits. 

Loyalty programs change and evolve yo reflect the economy and bookings.   Ships are filled now.  They're going to cut their costs as there's simply no reason to spend more money to get the same return.  When the economy turns and bookings drop, they'll increase benefits or have special promotions to fill the rooms. But please don't ever buy into the fallacy that they're giving you things just to say thank you. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Rumor is O’s time frame will be between 24-36 months to maintain benefits. We’ll know within a month.

Interesting! Does that information come from ‘someone who knows’?

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

As someone who mainly does land vacations, one cruise every three years to maintain credits and their benefits is okay. If they lower it two one cruise every two years, then it would be problematic, especially if they don't take into consideration length, cost, etc of the cruise.  We generally take longer, more expensive cruises with unique itineraries.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

I don't think they're interested in improving the experience.   They're interested in lowering their costs as low as they can without losing their psychological effects of increasing bookings. 

They're simply marketing programs to increase revenue generation. 

. But please don't ever buy into the fallacy that they're giving you things just to say thank you. 

I have loyalty benefits on three lines, and all of them have been cutting back on perks.  As a marketing tool to attract new customers, these programs become useless when only the old-timers book a cruise.  I am of the opinion that by cutting perks, the lines are actively trying to run off their older clientele. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Kay S said:

I have loyalty benefits on three lines, and all of them have been cutting back on perks.  As a marketing tool to attract new customers, these programs become useless when only the old-timers book a cruise.  I am of the opinion that by cutting perks, the lines are actively trying to run off their older clientele. 

I agree. Looks like all lines are looking to the ‘future’ and realise that the new 50/60/70 somethings will be looking for a far different experience to the current  cruisers!
Cant really blame cruise lines for looking towards their futures!

If it is 3 years not sure what the big deal is actually. I mean everyone on here tells us that Oceania cruisers are just old, no fun barely alive people. Should they really be taking more than 3 years between cruises…..time is running out!! 😉

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

I mean everyone on here tells us that Oceania cruisers are just old, no fun barely alive people. 

Everyone?  🙂

• Haha 1

One of the reasons I wasn't so hot on MSC Yacht Club was cruising every 3 years to maintain status.  (Of course, we hit the highest status by doing the status match program, which was a boon!  It did not make the current MSC loyalists too happy, though.)  Sigh.  I guess the times, they are a'changin'!