euros?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

Exactly. It is very easy to spend CASH in Greece.

If you go into a store and tell them you want to buy a 100 Euro item (or dinner in a restaurant) but only have cash, are they going to turn you away and say “no?”

Depends on the shop. In some shops there is no facility for dealing in cash, the systems wouldn’t be able to reconcile the takings and the person serving you has no authority or incentive to override anything.

It certainly can, and does happen, that people are unable to use cash in shops.

In smaller owner operated shops you are less likely to have issues, but even then the person has to weigh up the inconvenience of dealing with the cash.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I understand what you're trying to say but..... 1 USD is worth 1 USD.  If you want to talk about converting currencies and exchange rates and utility and local buying power, that's different.

BTW.... change your location to Long Island, NY.  Just looking at it now makes me think I'm going cross-eyed.

Yikes!

Cannot believe I never noticed that typo.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Yikes!

Cannot believe I never noticed that typo.

Thanks.

I never noticed it either and I am also from Long Island so I would have thought it would have stood out when reading all of your posts.

16 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

I never noticed it either and I am also from Long Island so I would have thought it would have stood out when reading all of your posts.

Really weerd, isn't it?  🤯

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Wait? Are we now tipping in Europe too? Onboard I understand (USD is fine as so many others have said). On land. It's Europe. Why are we tipping? 

I'm in Spain quite frequently and tip for example the hairdresser. But I do it by adding to the credit card amount before tapping the card. And in restuarants and similar of course. No US type cash tipping except maybe a tour guide when I take guided tours.

15 hours ago, Manchester is blue said:

Does the local chippy in Florida accept pounds or do I need to take some US dollars ?

Just asking for a friend. …….

LOL! Funny!  Talk about "turning the tables"! 😄

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, elcuchio24 said:

very easy to get euros from your local bank ahead of time 

Well...it's "easy" but not exactly cheap in my case.  My bank requires you to purchase $200 in US equivalent to whatever foreign funds you want...and you CANNOT "mix & match" the foreign funds.  All of one type, so if you need Euros AND British pounds...$400!

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well...it's "easy" but not exactly cheap in my case.  My bank requires you to purchase $200 in US equivalent to whatever foreign funds you want...and you CANNOT "mix & match" the foreign funds.  All of one type, so if you need Euros AND British pounds...$400!

You can typically trade them back if you have unused currency when you get home. We usually get $500 of each at a time, but travel enough that if we dont use it all, we'll just use it the next time.

You can also just use at ATM or currency exchange while in the specific country. We've done that before as well, just make sure to use a cash advance credit card with no foreign  transaction fee. 

Edited by elcuchio24

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

You can typically trade them back if you have unused currency when you get home. We usually get $500 of each at a time, but travel enough that if we dont use it all, we'll just use it the next time.

And get hit with a *second* bad exchange rate....

No, we just hang onto any extra as well.  I've got Euros and British pounds (currency and coins) sitting in our "travel" drawer! Probably not enough to do much of anything but maybe a few tips...

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
typo

Just now, Rick&Jeannie said:

And get hit with a *second* bad exchange rate....

No, we just hang onto any extra as well.  I've got Euros and British pounds (currency and coins) sitting in our "travel" drawer! Probably not enough to do much of anything but maybe a few tips...

In all reality, we find we usually use credit cards anyway, pretty rare to have to use cash unless you prefer it 

• Like 1

In Athens 5 months ago, used both Euros and credit card. I always try to use our card and it was not an issue at most places. But also never once ran into a situation where they wouldn't take cash.

• Like 1

I agree with all who have said that very little currency is needed in Europe, based on several visits over the last couple years.   I still get a small quantity of euros or GBP from my local bank in advance.  They do not charge me a fee or have a minimum order.   For the small quantity I get, I don't care about a few fractions of a % point difference in the exchange rate.  The convenience is worth it to me, and I can specify small bills, which are more useful for tipping tour guides than the larger bills that most ATM's dispense.  

I have been in shops that don't accept cash at all. Not many, but a few. 

On the other hand, once a card reader in a cab in Belfast didn't recognize my card, so I was glad I had some cash.  Cab drivers seem to like cash anyway, so often I use remaining currency for the cab ride to the airport for my flight home.  Anything left after that is saved for a future trip.

I learned to always have some £1 or £.5 or €1 or €.5 coins on hand for public restrooms.  Once I was able to use a card at a restroom in a Paris train station, but other times in Dublin, Galway, Lisbon, and maybe some others I have forgotten, only a coin would work.   

When I have port stops in Norway, Sweden, or Denmark, I don't bother ordering any of their currency in advance, as I would likely not need it on ship excursions and may not have future visits in which to use it.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I opened a Charles Schwab checking account with an ATM card. No account fees, no foreign transaction fees or notification needed and they refund ATM fees. The account is independent of my other bank accounts, so if it gets compromised in any way, the most I'd lose is what's in the account, which isn't a lot. I can get what I want when/if I need cash. Also, should I need additional money for some reason, I can contact my financial advisor and he can transfer funds for me.

I gave up on going to the bank ahead of time when 1) they had a minimum requirement way over the amount I wanted and 2) they didn't have what I wanted on hand, they have to order it and charge $10 for fedex and 3) what I wanted wasn't available anyway.

Edited by julig22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I opened a Charles Schwab checking account with an ATM card. No account fees, no foreign transaction fees or notification needed and they refund ATM fees. The account is independent of my other bank accounts, so if it gets compromised in any way, the most I'd lose is what's in the account, which isn't a lot. I can get what I want when/if I need cash. Also, should I need additional money for some reason, I can contact my financial advisor and he can transfer funds for me.

I gave up on going to the bank ahead of time when 1) they had a minimum requirement way over the amount I wanted and 2) they didn't have what I wanted on hand, they have to order it and charge $10 for fedex and 3) what I wanted wasn't available anyway.

I do this also but with a Capital One 360 account. Opened it online, received my Mastercard debit card the next day via FedEx. Have used it in many countries with no fees from any bank ATM. Prior to a London trip, 2 friends sent me USD to my Capital One account and I purchased GBP for them so they would have a little cash. But mostly they used their Apple Pay on their phones, even to tap in and tap out on the Tube. 

Call me an ugly American, but if all I have is US Dollars, then you either except them, or get nothing. Tell me who won't take Dollar tips, anywhere. Seriously.

• Like 1

ok iacruising. regretably i am calling you an ugly american. most places in italy definitely will not take us dollars. if you travel a lot in europe, how much trouble is it to get a few 100 in euros.

we are on the star april 10th from rio, and have been advised to only use their currency

wouldn't you be a little embarrassed if you were in an italian restaurant, finished your meal and found out they only accept euros?  same with cab drivers, although some do take credit cards.

also, it you tried to pay in american money, would you be upset if you only received change in euros, and what about the exchange rate? how do you know you arent being ripped off.

many years ago, we were on a cruise and one of the ports was martinique. they only wanted francs.

another cruise the final port was venice, we needed a cab to take us from the ship to our hotel as we were staying overnight before our flight the next morning. we could not find 1 cab that would accept american dollars.

so obviously, you will do a you please but why intentionally put yourself in a potential hole, when the issue can be so easily resolved

• Like 4

On 3/25/2024 at 11:52 PM, Distinctive-Destinations said:

I’ve been to Greece and I assure you they will take USD for tips. Now for regular purchases, yes obviously Euros are preferred (required in many/most places).

Of course they will, they will take any currency you care to shove in their general direction, it does not mean they are happy with it, and it does not mean you (and your nation) won't get bitched about behind your back.

The right thing to do is tip in the local currency.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Call me an ugly American, but if all I have is US Dollars, then you either except them, or get nothing. Tell me who won't take Dollar tips, anywhere. Seriously.

I have seen a man in Rhodes Greece  trying to buy a bus ticket in US Dollars,  Another man in Dingle on the West Coast of Ireland trying to buy a shuttle ticket in US Dollars and a lady  in a Mini Market in Southern Spain trying to buy snacks using US dollars .All were refused. Yes you could tip in US dollars in Europe but surely it would be more respectful to use the local currency . Would you expect a tip in Euros to be acceptable in your local town ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, floridafish said:

Figure using about as much cash (Euros) in Europe that you do at home. Just about none.

If anything, Europe is more cashless than we are. Some smaller operations won't even take cash.

Try going to the bathroom with a credit card in hand.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 3:13 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Get one of the multi currency cards then use local ATM for no charge.

(Just watch there are loads in Europe that charge, proper bank ones are usually ok)

Loads of choice, we use Revolut(need the physical card for ATM).