Pier Runners on Icon of the seas.

Felt sorry for the family who missed Icon of the Seas when it left St Thomas today.  We were watching from the Celebrity Apex and the young boy looked devastated. 

• Like 1

I am on Apex now, and watched this unfold. All Aboard time was 1:30. They arrived at the gangway at 2:15. It appeared that they were walking over from the port side (rather than the taxi side). They did not appear to be in a hurry. To add insult to injury, for the Icon, tomorrow is supposed to be a sea day, followed by CoCo Cay, and then into Miami. I may be wrong, but I don’t believe Coco Cay has an airport.

I guess they will retrieve all of their stuff in Miami in 3 days time.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Tough crowd. I feel bad when someone misses the ship whether it was their fault or not. You don’t know their story. They could have had something beyond their control or they could have been drinking at the bar two blocks away. Either way if there’s kids involved it wasn’t their fault. 

• Like 32
  • Haha 2

Ahhh. If they did not seem to be in a hurry to make it to the ship, I wonder if for some reason, their time was off by an hour. They arrived at 2:15 possibly thinking there were indeed on time? Just wondering since the above poster noted that no hurry was observed. 

• Like 8

There are so many reasons why someone could miss the ship - not all of them are the persons fault either.

I think regardless its a horrible situation to be in and I can't help feeling sorry for them, it's my worst nightmare having that happen to me.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, blueslily said:

Ahhh. If they did not seem to be in a hurry to make it to the ship, I wonder if for some reason, their time was off by an hour. They arrived at 2:15 possibly thinking there were indeed on time? Just wondering since the above poster noted that no hurry was observed. 

That's what I was wondering. A smartphone changing the time automatically could potentially cause this. Not everyone realises they need to be mindful of this.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Dan83 said:

Tough crowd. I feel bad when someone misses the ship whether it was their fault or not. You don’t know their story. They could have had something beyond their control or they could have been drinking at the bar two blocks away. Either way if there’s kids involved it wasn’t their fault. 

I’m with you…..we dont know their story and I feel bad for the child

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, gavvy said:

There are so many reasons why someone could miss the ship - not all of them are the persons fault either.

I think regardless it’s a horrible situation to be in and I can't help feeling sorry for them, it's my worst nightmare having that happen to me.

☹️

• Like 2

Automatic time changes from smartphones connected to smart wrist device have been a known issue by cruisers.

Still happens.

I always take a shockproof old school watch with me and make sure it is on the time shown on the ship as you go through the gang-plank area.

At that point, I do not care about the time on any cell phone or local display until I am back on ship.

Missing the ship is one of my pet fears. Maybe that came from my military experience.

• Like 8

No one here knows the story with those people. Am I surprised that some here have no sympathy? No, not surprised at all. It is a frequent occurrence with people here on CC on many different subjects. Those that actually enjoy seeing others in distress, whatever the reason may be and look at it as entertainment, what can I say other than it speaks volumes about yourself.

• Like 42
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, DingoMom said:

I am on Apex now, and watched this unfold. All Aboard time was 1:30. They arrived at the gangway at 2:15. It appeared that they were walking over from the port side (rather than the taxi side). They did not appear to be in a hurry. To add insult to injury, for the Icon, tomorrow is supposed to be a sea day, followed by CoCo Cay, and then into Miami. I may be wrong, but I don’t believe Coco Cay has an airport.

I guess they will retrieve all of their stuff in Miami in 3 days time.

Was Icon’s gangway still open, and they were denied boarding, or had the ship already left?

7 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Automatic time changes from smartphones connected to smart wrist device have been a known issue by cruisers.

Still happens.

I always take a shockproof old school watch with me and make sure it is on the time shown on the ship as you go through the gang-plank area.

At that point, I do not care about the time on any cell phone or local display until I am back on ship.

Missing the ship is one of my pet fears. Maybe that came from my military experience.

I agree with you on this point. I do have a satellite watch but I don't take it on cruises. I always have my old school regular watch that doesn't change time unless I make the change.

The one thing that I will point out here is that during daylight savings time St. Thomas and the U.S. east coast have the same time so I'm not sure smart phones can be blamed for this occurrence but who knows.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

No one here knows the story with those people. Am I surprised that some here have no sympathy? No, not surprised at all. It is a frequent occurrence with people here on CC on many different subjects. Those that actually enjoy seeing others in distress, whatever the reason may be and look at it as entertainment, what can I say other than it speaks volumes about yourself.

it’s sad that people get enjoyment from others suffering. And it’s not just on this site. 

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

it’s sad that people get enjoyment from others suffering. And it’s not just on this site. 

I've seen some posts on "the book" RCI related areas. They can be vicious over there.

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I've seen some posts on "the book" RCI related areas. They can be vicious over there.

It is and not just Royal. You should see how bad it can be on some of the “mouse” groups.

17 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

In the end it's their fault, no matter the reason. They took a non-RC excursion and knew the risks.

I can’t go along with this either. The cruise lines sell so so many overpriced and over crowded excursions based on this scare tactic. Although rare, there have been reports of cruise sponsored excursions missing the ship. At some point due to operational necessity or even cost considerations, they will absolutely leave an excursion group behind. Yes the cruise line will pick up the tab for transportation, and if lucky may even provide a small amount of compensation. But someone’s vacation will no doubt be ruined. There’s always some risk to everything we do. And I certainly don’t blame anyone for not taking the “safest” option. But if I limited myself to only cruise line excursions then I wouldn’t be cruising at all.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Dan83 said:

But if I limited myself to only cruise line excursions then I wouldn’t be cruising at all.

For sure. But you bear that risk, albeit quite minimal, for getting back to the ship on time.