Pier Runners on Icon of the seas.

56 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

For those saying they could have been late due to an accident or needing to go to urgent care or whatever, in the daily planner on all of the cruise lines I've been on, they list a port agent and phone number in case you have an emergency while onshore and they recommend you bring it with you.

I'm sure many don't pay attention to it but also I'm sure many do.

Yes, I always take a picture of that information.  I've never needed it, but I have it. 

28 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Do we have to be KIND to the people that apparently take glee in the misfortune of others?

You're changing the topic.  

18 minutes ago, Ashland said:

WOW the fuel consumption was crazy 

You mean once they've cranked up the engines and are ready to leave ... but can't leave yet because they're waiting for those last people?  Interesting.  I thought of port fees but not that.  

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

We did a cruise to Bermuda years ago and the Love Boat was tied up at the Dockyard while we were in Hamilton on Celebrity's Horizon. When we got back to NYC we were on the opposite side of the same pier with the Pacific Princess.

Our cruise was June 30 - July 7, 2002…..that was back when we lived on LI.
in all the cruises we’ve taken, that was by far the best in so many ways. Only around 680 on the ship, we got to know everyone.  It looked exactly like the TV show inside. It was so cool!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I was on Celebrity Horizon (46,811 GT) in Oct. 2002, leaving Hamilton, when we passed Pacific Princess (20,636 GT).  I thought, that ship is tiny.  😄

Later (Oct. 2011), I did a 10 night non-stop TA (LIS to SJU) on "tiny" Azamara Journey (30,277 GT).  🙂

The ship was so small! But not built like they are now.  In fact, on day 1 we saw a sun deck in the front of the ship (I think it was front) and it took me all week to find it.  I couldn’t figure out how to get there.  And in our cabin there were two fold down bunks, one on the side and the other under the porthole…..that was my bunk which I fell out of twice due to the rough seas 😜 Very memorable cruise.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

No, you posted that kindness should be shown to those that made it back to the ship on time. I'm just merely asking you if that includes to those that take enjoyment in the misfortune of others.  The topic being that we shouldn't feel sorry for those that miss the ship, not matter the  circumstances.

It's understood that people are responsible for their own actions and no, the ship should not have to wait. It's still okay to feel bad for those that missed the ship.  Just my opinion, yours may be different.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yes, I always take a picture of that information.  I've never needed it, but I have it. 

You mean once they've cranked up the engines and are ready to leave ... but can't leave yet because they're waiting for those last people?  Interesting.  I thought of port fees but not that.  

The port fees have some leway but the fuel consumption comment was new to us....but makes sense.

22 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Missing the ship is NOT a big fear of mine.  Oh, don't get me wrong -- I prepare.  I have rules.  I have a back-up plan to get back to the ship (like cab money and Google Maps).  I don't allow my family to split up -- if we go into separate bathrooms, I say, we're meeting back on that bench.  But I'm not AFRAID of it because I allow more than enough time, and I am prepared.  

If you missed ship's movement in the Navy you are in deep "@@@@". Replace the p in ship with a t.

I remember once leaving Bermuda (I think on Explorer). Had returned to the ship, showered and was sitting on the balcony reading as the ship set off when I heard screaming and suddenly the ship started backing up. I looked out and saw two young girls carrying shopping bags and running towards the ship. The ship actually backed up to collect them. Everyone was cheering them on. I’m guessing that they had hysterical parents on the ship. This was the only time I have experienced a ship backing up like this. I wondered if the parents were hit with a fine. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm sure that uses extra fuel, but so does having to go faster to get to the next port on time.  

If you have to go 250 nautical miles in say 14 hours (5p - 7a), you can go ~17kts.  However, if you're delayed for an hour, you now need to go 19kts.  Not sure what kind of mileage they get out of the engines, but that obviously uses more fuel, which means bigger cost. 

My numbers are just made up and I'm sure the ship engineers will be along to correct me. 

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

I do feel sorry for anyone missing a ship.  It would be a mess and our worst nightmare.  Things can happen especially when you go off by yourself.  First time cruisers may not realize all the rules or not to rely on phones.  I have also witnessed some pier runners that weren’t running and acted like they thought the ship would wait. We’ve witnessed security handing over safe contents to the port staff too. 

When we go off on our own I try to remember to take a pic of the compass that has the emergency info on it.  We also plan to return at least one hour before all aboard.  DH has a watch he always wears with ship time.  Mistakes could still happen.  Accidents, bus or car breakdown, traffic jam.  In the Caribbean we don’t worry as much because the travel times are shorter but longer shore trips we usually go with the cruise line or reputable tour operators.  

• Like 3

On 3/27/2024 at 10:16 PM, smokeybandit said:

I don't feel sorry for anyone who gets left behind. They knew the rules.

Make sure you're never in a situation where you get left behind somewhere. Or miss a flight or anything unpleasant. You know about karma right. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, allie3490 said:

Make sure you're never in a situation where you get left behind somewhere. Or miss a flight or anything unpleasant. You know about karma right. 

Yes, my goal on a cruise is to 100% ensure I never get in that situation. And I'm batting 1.000 right now. And 99.9% of cruise passengers are also batting 1.000

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I'm sure that uses extra fuel, but so does having to go faster to get to the next port on time.  

If you have to go 250 nautical miles in say 14 hours (5p - 7a), you can go ~17kts.  However, if you're delayed for an hour, you now need to go 19kts.  Not sure what kind of mileage they get out of the engines, but that obviously uses more fuel, which means bigger cost. 

My numbers are just made up and I'm sure the ship engineers will be along to correct me. 

Fuel is one of the biggest expenses for Royal. One of the reasons they try to pack in the ports in short hop-to-hop is to save fuel. Secondary ones are more money from more shore excursions and less eating and drinking from everyone getting of the boat.

On 3/28/2024 at 5:47 AM, FionaMG said:

That's what I was wondering. A smartphone changing the time automatically could potentially cause this. Not everyone realises they need to be mindful of this.

This is why I wear an analog watch set to ship's time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2024 at 10:20 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

My bubble of positivity for compassionate humanity is still full….I have my rose colored glasses on 🤩

I agree! And you know where this Momma heart went? I hope that little one wasn’t devastated because he got ill and felt responsible for them missing the ship.  No one knows, including the sticklers in this thread.

We got our Global Entry this year, but only because the Customs Officer was compassionate.  Arrived at the parking garage next to the terminal in the airport 2 HOURS before our appointment. The lot was full…and so was every other we went to as ATL rerouted traffic for parking. It turned into a big comedy routine.  We ended up UBERing to the terminal from a remote lot, and ran in 10 minutes late.  Thank goodness the Customs officer had more understanding than most here do.  He laughed when he got a look at me flying thru the door with the stricken look on my face, and told me we were good, to have a seat.  

I am a stickler for time, always, always arriving early. But stuff happens, even to the best-intentioned. 

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 7

On 3/28/2024 at 7:56 AM, smokeybandit said:

In the end it's their fault, no matter the reason. They took a non-RC excursion and knew the risks.

And how do you know that?  They could have taken an RCL excursion but decided to wander the port area to shop or get something to eat losing track of time.  Only those who missed the ship know for sure.

On 3/28/2024 at 6:17 AM, Ocean Boy said:

No one here knows the story with those people. Am I surprised that some here have no sympathy? No, not surprised at all. It is a frequent occurrence with people here on CC on many different subjects. Those that actually enjoy seeing others in distress, whatever the reason may be and look at it as entertainment, what can I say other than it speaks volumes about yourself.

It’s been a long time since psych rotation, but I do believe there is a pathology for this behavior. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Trailcon said:

Did people actually miss the ship?  Reading this thread I am not sure.

On 3/27/2024 at 9:58 PM, granger said:

Felt sorry for the family who missed Icon of the Seas when it left St Thomas today.  We were watching from the Celebrity Apex and the young boy looked devastated. 

The first post leads me to believe that a family missed the ship.

I remember speaking with a captain on a RCCL ship a couple of years ago.  He had been annoyed that 2 passengers were 30 minutes late back to the ship (turns out they were hanging out at a bar in the cruise terminal area).  The engines had been idling, and I believe he said it was $10,000 in additional fuel charges and that he was going to be giving them the bill (I couldn't tell if he was serious or not, but he was definitely annoyed and said he had  been able to do it that time, but is not always able to wait that long).

I feel bad for the little boy!