Jim_Iain - B2B Sydney - Honolulu - Vancouver

Jim_Iain

38 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

David, did you get another eclipse photo today?

Ruth (and @MamaFej),

Yes!  The first photo is of the inner corona and you can see the pink solar prominences.

image.thumb.jpeg.e2a335f9baaf6bde8cb71ff718527d51.jpeg

This photo shows the middle to outer corona:

image.thumb.jpeg.6dbf621fb992da157b23fccef7973c02.jpeg

We watched the eclipse from Vienna, IL which is near the Ohio River off of I-24.  We had 3.7 minutes of totality.  The April weather made viewing conditions touch and go for many parts of America that were in the path of totality.  

I hope you are doing well, Ruth.

I presume you had very clear skies from your Princess cruise ship, MamaFej.

David

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

All these stories remind me that as we mature the biggest danger is falling, which often lead to a chain reaction and early demise.  Stay healthy and watch your step. 

This is so true, not to mention keeping one’s core strong.  However, it takes time to stay in shape and do weights, but the rewards are great.  It sadden’s me to see so many people lose precious time due to falls.  I have Vertigo, so now I even focus more on my core and strength.  Sometimes I even have to fall and roll, so I do not get hurt. Lucky me that I am not very tall either. Cruising the world is a workout in itself!🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

Ruth (and @MamaFej),

Yes!  The first photo is of the inner corona and you can see the pink solar prominences.

image.thumb.jpeg.e2a335f9baaf6bde8cb71ff718527d51.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6dbf621fb992da157b23fccef7973c02.jpeg

We watched the eclipse from Vienna, IL which is near the Ohio River off of I-24.  We had 3.7 minutes of totality.  The April weather made viewing conditions touch and go for many parts of America that were in the path of totality.  

I hope you are doing well, Ruth.

I presume you had very clear skies from your Princess cruise ship, MamaFej.

David

Nice ! 
completely overcasted here could even see the sun 

it did get very dark 

IMG_2948.thumb.png.1343f26028408b8c06024ce8ac14dda2.png

2 hours ago, skatelady said:

We did the trans pacific last year, spent 3 days in Sydney before we boarded.  We used our MasterCard for everything, did not use cash at all.

Did you find thre days sufficient for really getting to experience Sydney? Planning the TP (Sydney to Honolulu) in April 2026, and are trying to decide how long to stay in Sydney pre-cruise.

Thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

and QVC --- is Quality Value Club --- an American TV program that sells junk and Junk Jewelry.

LOL ---

Now American definition

CBD - Cannabidiol derived from hemp ---they say you can't get high on it ....BUT.  Aso used for pain control

THC -  Tetrahydrocannabinol  - Active ingredient of Weed that you definitely get high on

I respectfully disagree. QVC (quality, value, convenience) does not sell junk and definitely not junk jewelry. I have been shopping there for 35 years and all quality stuff 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Minorhawk said:

Did you find thre days sufficient for really getting to experience Sydney? Planning the TP (Sydney to Honolulu) in April 2026, and are trying to decide how long to stay in Sydney pre-cruise.

Thanks!

My two cents: We’ve done Sydney pre-cruise three nights (Dec 2017) and four (Dec 2019). There’s a lot to see. Just depends on where you want to draw the line. We’re doing this TP next year and looking forward to seeing new stuff at Sydney!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Minorhawk said:

Thanks!

I’d agree with the above poster. If you’re not time constrained and especially if you haven’t been to Oz before, it seems a pity to travel half way around the world just to hop on a cruise ship and not get to know the country beyond the embarkation port. Lots to see & do here - plus the Blue Mountains,Hunter Valley wineries and National Parks nearby, not to mention a huge and spectacular land the size of the USA behind us. I think cruise passengers can sometimes get hooked on “peripheral tourism” with 8hrs in port and then off again, sometimes with a bit of fake culture thrown in, so we always balance our cruise travel with long stay forays beyond the coast - not just Miami & Ft Lauderdale but the Rockies and the National Parks on our road trip last year in your fascinating country!

Edited by Bullswood
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Minorhawk said:

Maybe a dumb question,  and maybe it was already mentioned,  but what is QVC? Looks awesome,  and the TP is on my radar for 2026 to celebrate my retirement. 

It's the QVB (stands for Queen Victoria Building) - it's located above Town Hall Station in the main CBD area - the building itself is located on George Street & Market Street.  The QVB is well known for it's clock, when it chimes on the hour the different scenes are highlighted and rotated.  There are many food options in both the lower sections (underground access to Town Hall station) and on the higher levels.  There is even a High Tea in the Palace Tearoom and in the Tea Room.  The building is close to many sightseeing areas eg - Darling Harbour (Maritime Museum), Hyde Park, St Mary's Cathedral are approximately 5-10 mins walk.  A little bit further is the Royal Botanical Gardens (eventually takes you to the Opera House is approx 15-20 mins walk depending on how quickly you walk).

• Like 1

We are aboard.     BUT

Captain just said due to High Winds the Harbormaster has closed the port so overnighting in Sydney. 

All aboard at 8:30….we hope 

First stop cancelled. 

• Like 13

With the weather and subsequent port closure keeping the Solstice there overnight, it is also keeping the Majestic Princess out at sea instead of overnighting at the OPT (where you are).

30 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are aboard.     BUT

Captain just said due to High Winds the Harbormaster has closed the port so overnighting in Sydney. 

First stop cancelled. 

Hope the rest of your trip is uneventful after this delayed start to your cruise.

• Like 1

We stayed five full days in Sydney before our cruise a few years ago and even that was not enough time.  We loved Sydney.  Nicest people we ever met!  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are aboard.     BUT

First stop cancelled. 

I’ve just seen that on a FB site.

So sorry, I thought you might be having better weather than we are at the moment - high winds and rain here as well.

Apparently, we’ve had the warmest March on record, I would dare bet it’s been one of the wettest too.

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are aboard.     BUT

First stop cancelled. 

Sorry to hear that, Jim.

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are aboard.     BUT

First stop cancelled. 

Sorry for this weather related change of plan! I'm sure you and Lain have experienced that risk related to cruising in the past; however, it does not make it less disappointing! Best wishes for smooth sailing for the rest of your cruise!

P.s. I will take this opportunity to thank you for all the beautiful pictures you post! You really have a keen eye for colors and perspective that is unique! Bravo! 

19 minutes ago, cachouonacruise said:

Sorry for this weather related change of plan! I'm sure you and Lain have experienced that risk related to cruising in the past; however, it does not make it less disappointing! Best wishes for smooth sailing for the rest of your cruise!

P.s. I will take this opportunity to thank you for all the beautiful pictures you post! You really have a keen eye for colors and perspective that is unique! Bravo! 

It’s Iain not Lain. Scottish Gaelic version of John. Anglicised version of the name is Ian. 😊

• Like 1

Jim..

Sorry about this change ...but we all know safety comes first.

What is the port you will miss?

Hope they enhance on ship activities to keep everyone busy.

.Otherwise you can relax, and perhaps post some pics of the ship!  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Made a Soy Mayo Sauce for the Cauliflower

We make the same thing and use for tomato's, cucumbers, and asparagus as well as cauliflower.  I like to add a little wasabi into mine to, as Emerial says, "kick it up a notch."

I guess something, or someone irritated Mother Nature again, so she has responded.  We had snow one day and almost 70 a couple days later; hope things change soon!🤷‍♀️

11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

With the weather and subsequent port closure keeping the Solstice there overnight, it is also keeping the Majestic Princess out at sea instead of overnighting at the OPT (where you are).

You are so knowledgeably of what's happening in Sydney.  Really appreciate it. 

The Captain came on yesterday right at 6:00 PM departure time and said he would be getting back to us about our departure tonight.    About 10 minutes he came back on and advised that due to heavy winds the harbor master had closed the port for all arrivals and departures until at least 9AM on the 10th.

I guess Iain wasn't wrong that we were departing on Wednesday.

I have to admit -  we were up at the Museum and the wind was howling.   It was just barely drizzling so we decided to walk to the port instead of taking an Uber.   Luckily the wind was at our back.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

20 hours ago, mahdnc said:

I hope you have a smooth embarkation today. 

As you may have read.... wasn't smooth and still sitting in port.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, mahdnc said:

David

What incredible pictures ---What and experience it must have been.     Thanks for sharing.

Good morning Sydney! Just before 10pm here in the U.K. Jim.

Thoroughly enjoying the photos and news of your trip!
You and Iain have so many exciting twists and turns on your vacations!
I’m remembering the passport situation then the Coronavirus and then the weather affecting your trip to join a ship in Fort Lauderdale!
Never a dull moment!
Hopefully you are both doing okay and fingers crossed you get away safely today!
Elizabeth