New Survey - SS credit card

Lonedaddy

Posted (edited)

Just completed an emailed survey on a couple of SS credit cards.  Basically they were testing a no annual fee card or a 95 fee card that gave 3% credit on SS spend and both had a one time 250 or 400 off offer.  Not sure if I would use that very much other than one time.  Amex give 2x member rewards and nice OBC.  Would be nice if they offered one that based on spend you get perks similar to venetian society perks.  Just a thought anyone else have opionions ?

Screenshot_3-4-2024_11364_www.research.net.jpeg

Screenshot_3-4-2024_113633_www.research.net.jpeg

Edited by Lonedaddy

In a word:  Terrible.

It's a lousy value proposition, with poor earning ratios and a very limited redemption plan.  One can do much better with a number of other cards.

This seems to be a clone of the cards currently offered as co-brands with Royal and Celebrity.

• Like 5

I never do email surveys so I discarded without reading.

So thanks for posting this. I've got a reward credit card and don't need another. Unless it's really smokin' deal.

By the way, unlike some other lines (not to be mentioned) SS doesn't charge a fee for using a credit card (nor do they offer a discount for cash) so I am happy to get rewards on that other credit card.

Now if they included some travel-ish insurance for free...maybe not even then.

Sadly, they misspelled their own brand name in one of the questions.  Between this communication and the typos in the recent flyer about the new fare structure, RCL really should invest in better proofreading.  

• Haha 4

I got that survey too. I chose not to reply. Everyone is different. I don't need or want another credit card.

Posted (edited)

One of my options had a different rewards structure and label than Lonedaddy's, so they appear to be testing multiple options.  

One of my options had a $95 annual fee, but the sign-up offer was higher with a $400 credit. Earnings were 3% on Silversea, 2% on other travel and 1% on everything else.  The additional benefits section included travel protection (insurance).  This option has a much better value proposition than the ones shown (but still not as good as the bennies I get from AmEx Platinum).

But they're using a very basic survey structure vs. more sophisticated conjoint analysis, so hopefully this is just a trial balloon to see if this warrants further investigation.  If they're actually going to use findings from this simple survey format to decide on a new rewards credit card, their low-budget survey approach is another example of cost-cutting. 

Edited by Dolcevita Diva

Posted (edited)

I completed it and neither want nor need it   Did take the comment boxes to complain about lack of solo supplement cruises with 25%.   Most are on the older small ships or expedition which I have no interest in whatsoever! 

Edited by MsCrystalina
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Desperate to Sail said:

I responded to the survey. Told them they need to focus on running their business rather than  pretending they are CapitalOne.  

They would not be involved in any of the actual operation of the card.  The current RCCL and Celebrity cards are issued by Bank of America, who do all the banking operations.  I would assume this would also be with BoA.

Posted (edited)

Oh fun!

Their first question - "How many cruises have you taken in the past 5 years?" Gee, fewer than usual, you think? Wasn't there some issue during that time frame that limited our travel? Knuckleheads!

My options were the No fee, 250 credit after 1000 spending, 3% back on Silversea / 1% on everything else.

"1% back is pretty low. I already get more rewards elsewhere and they aren't limited to use on Silversea. Honestly the Silversea product has slipped so much that I'd not be interested in tying myself to a credit card that is only redeemable on that cruise line."

And option 2 was $499 annual fee, 500 credit after 1000 spend, 4% on Silversea, 2% non-cruise travel, 1% everything else. $200 OBC every Silversea cruise. $100 GE or PreCheck credit, Priority Pass.

"This is AMEX lite. Way fewer benefits, almost as expensive. I already get more from AMEX so completely uninterested."

Oh, and then they wanted my opinion about a Silversea "Gift Card" that you could buy. Why?

They are definitely barking up the wrong tree here. And I'm in a more cranky mood than usual today so the timing was good (or bad).

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

If they had one, getting it seems like a no brainer...get the spending credit, maybe use it to pay an existing cruise balance, and then put it away until booking your next SS cruise.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, frankhi said:

If they had one, getting it seems like a no brainer...get the spending credit, maybe use it to pay an existing cruise balance, and then put it away until booking your next SS cruise.

The free one will only give 3% back on Silversea bookings.  I get that from my Citi Costco  Visa already.  [But I usually book on my Amex Platinum card because they have a much longer charge-back period if things go pear-shape.]  So no interest no matter what the terms are. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Desperate to Sail said:

I responded to the survey. Told them they need to focus on running their business rather than  pretending they are CapitalOne.  

3 hours ago, sea bright said:

I got it today and answered similarly to Desperate to Sail!

3 hours ago, MsCrystalina said:

I completed it and neither want nor need it   Did take the comment boxes to complain about lack of solo supplement cruises with 25%.   Most are on the older small ships or expedition which I have no interest in whatsoever! 

None of which will actually be returned to the company.  The outfit doing the survey is almost certainly charged to only return comments directly relating to the credit card questions, with others being filtered out.  Extraneous comments are usually just lumped as a quantity number into "other".

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The free one will only give 3% back on Silversea bookings.  I get that from my Citi Costco  Visa already.  [But I usually book on my Amex Platinum card because they have a much longer charge-back period if things go pear-shape.]  So no interest no matter what the terms are. 

Did you miss the part about the one time credit...just get the card and don't use or cancel after. You can have a CC that you don't use all the time

Edited by frankhi

I already have dozens.  Too much.  Then if you don't use them the bank cancels them – and that becomes a blot on your credit record (even if only because your total credit goes down).  Every quarter I redo the cards in my wallet to get as many 5% specials as possible.  There are several other categories with 3% or 4% always.  And Citi Double sweeps up anything else at 2%.  All giving cash rebates that can be used anywhere.  So I don't want any cards that limit the rebate to use with a particular vendor...  [except airline cards, which give huge signing bonuses and then continuing perks like free checked bag]

It looks very marginal to me.  Costco gives 3% on travel, not Silversea but Regent & Celebrity  are included.  Amex Platinum gives 2x if you book with AMEX.  We always used AMEX points for flights, many great deals over the years, but now the points are worth close to 1% with most airlines.  Some deals but not many.  AMEXP brings some other great benefits to the table.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I use whatever card is from whatever I'm doing. On my last SS cruise, I used United CC on United flight, IHG at the IHG hotel, and American on AA flight.  Wish I had an SS card for the cruise. I use a Chase Sapphire Reserve otherwise. People seem to be saying here if the had a SS card the would feel they had to use it as their regular card, just put the SS card away until you book your next SS cruise (or cancel it).

Oh I just realized most of you use a TA and maybe book D2D so can't do what I was suggesting.

Edited by frankhi

2 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

It looks very marginal to me.  Costco gives 3% on travel, not Silversea but Regent & Celebrity  are included.  Amex Platinum gives 2x if you book with AMEX.  We always used AMEX points for flights, many great deals over the years, but now the points are worth close to 1% with most airlines.  Some deals but not many.  AMEXP brings some other great benefits to the table.

I like the amex complimentary bottle of Dom on SS

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

YES Silversea.  I have used it and got the 3%.  It isn't restricted to a named list of cruise lines (like Amex Cruise Privileges); as long as it's coded in one of the travel categories you get the 3%.

• Thanks 1