The countdown is on!

Did anyone else receive this email? It hit my inbox this afternoon.

It shows two lounges--Chart Room and Carinthia. Not much to see in the rendering of the Chart Room, but look closely at the rendering of Carinthia on the website and it looks like there will be outside seating. How lovely! Um, but Carinthia will be on the "promenade" deck. So how is that going to work? Or am I looking at the drawing incorrectly? 

Also highlighted is "Artisans' Foodhall."   Pretentious much? It's the buffet. Or do I have to have some cred as an artist to be allowed to eat there???? Here's what it says:

Artisans' Foodhall

No matter when you feel peckish, this venue has something to offer, from sweet grab-and-go treats to more elaborate dishes created by chefs in front of your eyes. Breakfast, lunch, afternoon snacks, dinner, late-night bites – this "something for everyone" dining option will not disappoint.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

... look closely at the rendering of Carinthia on the website and it looks like there will be outside seating. How lovely! Um, but Carinthia will be on the "promenade" deck. So how is that going to work? Or am I looking at the drawing incorrectly?

Here's the Carinthia Lounge image found on Cunard's facebook page. This somewhat larger image may help with the seating arrangements. I don't think any of the seating is going to be outside. I think it's an illusion with how the lighting and window reflections are rendered that gives the impression some of the seating is outside on the promenade.

435361463_819141500245236_3094333431290272954_n.thumb.jpg.e0db3b5f83ab3a195ae2df44dbebd941.jpg

• Like 3

Received email today too. Here’s a copy/paste of the first paragraph: 

In only one month's time, we will begin a new era of sailing as a fleet of four. On May 3, 2024,Queen Anne® will welcome her first guests in London for an unforgettable maiden sailing.
And this is only just the beginning of what promises to be a spectacular inaugural season.

I also received a bid offer to upgrade to QG for Alaska. I’ll stick with PG and take advantage of QG on a less port intensive voyage when more meals will be taken onboard. 

19 minutes ago, NE John said:

Received email today too. Here’s a copy/paste of the first paragraph: 

In only one month's time, we will begin a new era of sailing as a fleet of four. On May 3, 2024,Queen Anne® will welcome her first guests in London for an unforgettable maiden sailing. ...

I hadn't noticed the part about "London" until you quoted it. I suppose they will be welcoming some guests in London on the morning of May 3rd to transfer them to Southampton. But I also suppose it's more of Cunard's marketing for North America we've discussed before that would have us believe they sail to/from London.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The email I got reads:

in only one month’s time we will begin a new era of sailing as a fleet of four. On 3 ‌May ‌2024, Queen Anne will welcome her first guests in Southampton for an unforgettable maiden sailing.

🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I hadn't noticed the part about "London" until you quoted it. I suppose they will be welcoming some guests in London on the morning of May 3rd to transfer them to Southampton. But I also suppose it's more of Cunard's marketing for North America we've discussed before that would have us believe they sail to/from London.

50 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

The email I got reads:

in only one month’s time we will begin a new era of sailing as a fleet of four. On 3 ‌May ‌2024, Queen Anne will welcome her first guests in Southampton for an unforgettable maiden sailing.

🙂 

Ah, so they're aware how little geography we learn in schools in the US. But they realize that people in the UK know how far apart London and Southampton are.

• Haha 2

This rendering of the Carinthia Lounge is really stunning- great views - which Cunard ships are famous for. I need to figure out a voyage with as many sea days as possible- if not a TA.

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's the Carinthia Lounge image found on Cunard's facebook page. This somewhat larger image may help with the seating arrangements. I don't think any of the seating is going to be outside. I think it's an illusion with how the lighting and window reflections are rendered that gives the impression some of the seating is outside on the promenade.

435361463_819141500245236_3094333431290272954_n.thumb.jpg.e0db3b5f83ab3a195ae2df44dbebd941.jpg

Am I alone in my aversion to the sage and plum colours?

It vibes 'aged care facility' to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Ah, so they're aware how little geography we learn in schools in the US. But they realize that people in the UK know how far apart London and Southampton are.

I just love the way people in the US always state which country they're talking about if it's not in the US for example 'London, England' or 'Paris, France'! For most of the world, it wouldn't need stating.

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I just love the way people in the US always state which country they're talking about if it's not in the US for example 'London, England' or 'Paris, France'! For most of the world, it wouldn't need stating.

Well, in our defense, we do have six cities named Paris and three named London. (I knew we had some, but google is my geography teacher.) If I lived in Arkansas (which has one of each), I'd need to clarify which one I meant. 😜

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

My impression of QA so far is of a rather 'neutral' modern decor and whilst I like 'Scandi', the little I've seen so far doesn't impress but I'll wait until I see the ship in all its colours [or not🙂] before deciding if my impression is misleading.

Either way, I will have to get used to it as we have a few bookings with her over the next couple of years.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I think it looks very nice, helped by the glorious light flooding in.

Perhaps ‘aged care facility’ is an apt description of many cruise ships. 😀

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

My impression of QA so far is of a rather 'neutral' modern decor and whilst I like 'Scandi', the little I've seen so far doesn't impress but I'll wait until I see the ship in all its colours [or not🙂] before deciding if my impression is misleading.

Either way, I will have to get used to it as we have a few bookings with her over the next couple of years.

Pale neutral colours and lots of light. Lovely. But we’ll see soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I think it looks very nice, helped by the glorious light flooding in.

Perhaps ‘aged care facility’ is an apt description of many cruise ships. 😀

Being slightly awkward, here, as far as deck 11 is concerned, I'd rather the light flooded in from windows I can see out of rather than a window above which without a cherry-picker, I can't but if that's my only grumble about deck 11 then it's a minor one.

Your last sentence was definitely  applicable to at least one of our Round Britain cruises on QV  Snoozing and occasionally snoring senior citizens around the ship. Snoozing is fine, snoring might be a bit off putting to fellow passengers.  😀

31 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Being slightly awkward, here, as far as deck 11 is concerned, I'd rather the light flooded in from windows I can see out of rather than a window above which without a cherry-picker, I can't but if that's my only grumble about deck 11 then it's a minor one.

Your last sentence was definitely  applicable to at least one of our Round Britain cruises on QV  Snoozing and occasionally snoring senior citizens around the ship. Snoozing is fine, snoring might be a bit off putting to fellow passengers.  😀

Yes the Grills Lounge looks as if it will be very disappointing, before dark, anyway.

I totally agree snoring is to be discouraged in any public milieu.

7 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Well there is "Paris, Texas" so there could be some confusion...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

It's called "London England Syndrome". According to TVTropes.com: "The name was coined by Bill Bryson. He discussed it in an essay in which he suggested that the stereotypically lower intelligence of Americans compared to people of other nationalities is not down to some sort of racial defect, but a result of Americans being regularly freed from any need to think, ever. This trope, he argued, is one way in which American newspaper-readers are not required to cognitively exert themselves in the same way that British newspaper-readers are."

As others have pointed out, there are a lot of US cities named after foreign ones. In my home state of Ohio, you can do an extensive tour of world capitals in one day: London, Berlin (and Bonn), Paris, Lima, Canton, Cairo, Athens, Dublin, Amsterdam, Lisbon (twice), Moscow. Plus many provincial capitals (Medina, Calcutta, etc.)

Most are ferociously mispronounced, of course. My favorite is Mantua (pronounced "man tuh way")

1 minute ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

It's called "London England Syndrome". According to TVTropes.com: "The name was coined by Bill Bryson. He discussed it in an essay in which he suggested that the stereotypically lower intelligence of Americans compared to people of other nationalities is not down to some sort of racial defect, but a result of Americans being regularly freed from any need to think, ever. This trope, he argued, is one way in which American newspaper-readers are not required to cognitively exert themselves in the same way that British newspaper-readers are."

As others have pointed out, there are a lot of US cities named after foreign ones. In my home state of Ohio, you can do an extensive tour of world capitals in one day: London, Berlin (and Bonn), Paris, Lima, Canton, Cairo, Athens, Dublin, Amsterdam, Lisbon (twice), Moscow. Plus many provincial capitals (Medina, Calcutta, etc.)

Most are ferociously mispronounced, of course. My favorite is Mantua (pronounced "man tuh way")

What is a newspaper?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Don't worry. The same thing happens in Scotland.

The national TV news organisations expect the whole of the UK to know every town, village or hamlet in England. However, any city or town mentioned north of the border is always followed by "in Scotland", For example; "in Aberdeen, in Scotland" etc..

BTW we have a Moscow just a few miles out of Glasgow (in Scotland).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, buchanan101 said:

Well there is "Paris, Texas" so there could be some confusion...

Then there’s New London, Connecticut to add to the mix…

Edited by NE John

11 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I suppose I must have been in need of such a facility for over 50 years.

Everything magnolia would suit me fine.