Is a 10 am flight out of FLL doable on day you are back in port?

A few years ago they would have everyone put luggage out the night before but we usually try to walk off with ours. We obviously need to be at FLL airport 2 hours before our flight which is 8 AM. Is that doable? Is an uber the best way to get there in time and how early do they tell you to meet to get off ship??  Thanks!!

Lot's of people have done it.  Personally I think it's pushing it.  If everything doesn't go right, you'll miss the flight.  Royal recommends noon.  I wouldn't want it hanging over me, and would probably look for a later flight.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pepperoni0120 said:

I changed to a 2:30 flight so how long can you stay on ship before they kick you off?  Traveling with a baby and 7 yo so don't know what is walkable to do near port!

9AM.

Nothing.

Biker, who would have kept the 10AM flight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

My flight out in May is 9:20a....no problem.

You are brave.

It can be done but we won’t book anything before 11 and then do our own luggage. It’s just too stressful to end a vacation that way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

You are brave.

It can be done but we won’t book anything before 11 and then do our own luggage. It’s just too stressful to end a vacation that way.

I pack everything in (and carry with me) a duffle bag. I'm off the ship before 6:30 and at the airport, at the latest, by 7:30a.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

I pack everything in (and carry with me) a duffle bag. I'm off the ship before 6:30 and at the airport, at the latest, by 7:30a.

That’s great.  But if the ship was ever a couple of hours late getting in…It does happen once in a while. I’d prefer to eat breakfast and take it a little slower. But I do agree the port and airport are really close so it may be possible.  

• Like 1

Personally, I would do a 10 AM flight and would not even be stressed out about it. Yes, sometimes things go wrong but most of the time they don't. We all have our own level of risk tolerance.

I would also mention that since Port Everglades instituted facial recognition walking off the ship WITH YOUR LUGGAGE and getting out of the terminal and into a cab is a breeze. If you are travelling on a non U.S. passport then pay no attention to what I just wrote.

• Like 1

Had an issue several years ago on Oasis . Guy decided to jump off the ship on the last night.

Looked a little fishy as his partner had his phone set up to record the whole thing.

He jumped off the balcony and landed on top of the life rafts, but it was raining and made the top

of the rafts slippery. He ended up dangling on the arm that holds the raft in place before he let

go and down he went. Dont think they ever found him.

Anyway , we ended up getting into port a few hours late. There were many people

on the royal promenade trying to get off . It was a bit of a cluster**** with lots of nervous pax.

I had a12 oclock flight so no issue for me. 

Although this does not happen very often , have a solid plan B if you have an early flight.🙂

My problem with FLL is that the best and least expensive flights always tend to be in the morning, and then there is a black hole in the schedules until mid-afternoon. While I don't like having to rush to the airport, 10:00am is doable and better than sitting around the airport for hours. If there was a noon flight, that would be ideal for me, but there never seems to be one.

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

If you are travelling on a non U.S. passport then pay no attention to what I just wrote.

Just to update this slightly... My Canadian passport worked fine with facial recognition on my last few cruises.  

I don't ever factor in possibilities of the ship being late.  It is such a rare occurrence that to plan for it would be difficult.  Where do you draw the line, do you plan on it being 2 hours late, 4 hours or even more.  All are possibilities as are weather, plane breakdowns or any other reason for a flight getting cancelled. Too often it's an early flight or much more expensive one mid day or a late night flight that means finding something to do for 8 or more hours so there really aren't a lot of viable options.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Just to update this slightly... My Canadian passport worked fine with facial recognition on my last few cruises.  

35 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Ours always has.

That is because we like you guys.☺️😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Pepperoni0120 said:

Thanks!  I changed to a 2:30 flight so how long can you stay on ship before they kick you off?  Traveling with a baby and 7 yo so don't know what is walkable to do near port!

Good decision. Anything can go wrong with a flight at 10.00. Specially since you are traveling with kids, it would be good for you to have a relaxed disembarkation. I never take a flight before noon.

You would have to leave the ship at around 10.00. I understand there is the possibility of a late checkout if you pay some additional amount. Not sure if that is worth it since you have to be at the airport at 12.30. 

1 minute ago, travelberlin said:

I understand there is the possibility of a late checkout if you pay some additional amount.

That option is only usually available on select sailings in Europe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Good decision. Anything can go wrong with a flight at 10.00. 

Anything can go wrong with any flight at any time. Just like the time JetBlue cancelled my 2 PM flight home at 1:30 PM. I should have booked a 10 AM flight.

16 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Anything can go wrong with any flight at any time. Just like the time JetBlue cancelled my 2 PM flight home at 1:30 PM. I should have booked a 10 AM flight.

Maybe that flight would have been also cancelled 😁. Flying is not pleasant anymore. Cancellations, delays, lost luggage…This is why we prefer not to make it more stressful trying to catch our plane early in the morning.

Once on a Celebrity ship, we arrived late at the port of debarkation because of bad weather and we could only debark at 10.00. We have a cruise booked this year to arrive in Bayonne and the cruise line strongly discourages to book flights in the morning because apparently it takes a long time to clear the ship.