Sun Princess Signature Suite vs. Caribbean Princess Vista Suite - Help me decide!

Dani24

We just booked a Dolphin deck Vista Suite on the Caribbean Princess for an Eastern Caribbean 8 day cruise this upcoming December for us and our 12 year old. However I was doing some poking around and saw the new Sun Princess has a 7 day sailing at the same time, and we can get a Signature Suite for the same price. Looking for some input on whether I should stay put or switch.

Both sailings hit St. Thomas and San Juan, which are our two most important stops for this trip (trying to get Junior Ranger badges from the National Park sites). We've never been to the Caribbean at all before, so everything else is new regardless of which we choose.

Caribbean Princess:

• The Vista Suite is bigger and has what appears to be a much nicer balcony.  
  • One extra day of cruising (8 vs 7).
  • We'd also get to visit St. Maarten and Grand Turk.
  • I love the wrap-around Promenade on the Caribbean (and other Grand class ships we've been on), and this is actually a significant draw for me (I love taking daily walks on them).
  • The layout/amenities are all very familiar -- which is a pro and a con. On the one hand, we'll acclimate quickly and be much more inclined to just relax (and even enjoy our suite balcony more). On the other hand, it'll feel more "been there done that" and less exciting than a brand new, revamped ship.
  • That said, I am fully aware of some people's complaints about the CB and other similar ships being "old" and "tired". We sailed on the Grand a few years ago and saw all the same comments and concerns, yet had a phenomenal time on our cruise and didn't feel like its condition was a hindrance at all. So I'm also not concerned about the CB feeling "dated" or "worn" or anything, as long as it's clear it is being maintained/cleaned.

Sun Princess

• New ship with all the shiny new bells and whistles, and LOTS of new amenities, food, entertainment, etc. to explore. This means I'd be inclined to want to do EVERYTHING and not rest as much, which my husband may be less enthused about, and might add a little extra stress. 
  • The Signature Suite looks more modern, although I kind of find the room decor a little boring, so that's not a huge draw for me (though the pics I see of the rest of the ship do look beautiful and enticing). 
  • The balcony on the Signature Suite looks more like a standard size balcony, and far less enticing than the Vista Suite balcony.
  • It would visit Princess Cay instead of the other two stops on the CB. I'd prefer to see the two others vs. Princess Cay, I think... but I've never been to any of them, so who knows...
  • We'd be in San Juan on NYE and would get to stay there 4 extra hours compared to the CB.
  • Only 7 days instead of 8, so one less day to cram in all the new stuff... 🙂 

I'll add that while the Sun looks like it has some cool stuff that might appeal to my daughter, I think she'd be happy either way. She has only been on one Princess Cruise before (on the Grand), and it was 5 years ago so it'll all feel new and exciting to her regardless.

Also, this is our first cruise since the pandemic, and I'll admit I'm a little "crowd shy", and eager to spend more time outdoors or away from tons of people on the ship as we ease back into things. Sailing the CB seems like it would make it far easier for us to do that because I'd be perfectly fine skipping things like the theater shows and other activities, or having our dinner served to us on our balcony some nights. If we were on the Sun the FOMO would be too strong and I'd want to do it all, but at the risk of triggering some anxiety. 

Any pros/cons that I missed? I don't know a ton about the new ship other than what I quickly perused on the Princess site. Maybe I'm overlooking some amenities, suite perks, etc. that might be a strong sway one way or the other?

This is a tough one...

The itinerary on the Caribbean Princess is better, of course.

But, for me, especially after all of the reviews and 'issues'...  I could not choose the Caribbean Princess.

Are there no other itineraries on the Sun, or one of the other newer Royal Class ships you can consider?

• Like 1

The Caribbean Princess is old and needs work. That being said.  I'd always choose a smaller ship.  And a Vista Suite is wonderful.  The signature suite on the sun is like a Mini suite on the CB.  Perks are the same.  

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I would always choose the new ship.

I would always choose the smaller ship that doesn’t have a class distinction 

• Like 1

I'd be inclined towards CB. But a string lull to Sun too..

CB:

Much much larger room. 

Included adults only pool aft.

Much nicer Sanctuary 

Familiarity (don't discount how much this helps you relax).

Great crew 

Lovely Wheelhouse lounge.

MUTS much more contained 

Old and showing a bit of age 

Less passengers than Sun 

Beautiful promenade all the way around the ship

Longer cruise. And ports tours more interested in. And no tendering!! 

Sun:

New

Signature Lounge (CB does not have a suite lounge).

Signature Restaurant (first ship with suite only restaurant).

New dining options

New shows

Dome

Sanctuary with suite access included (don't know what the situation is with kids in the Sanctuary on Sun, since it's a suite perk.)

But - much less inviting looking environment around the Sanctuary)

Enclave!! Not included for suites, but very relaxing.

New venues 

Shiny and new

Very very different layout, concepts, etc. As you noted - may compel you to participate and explore and go go more than you want to and less relaxing...

Basic itinerary. And Princess Cays is a tender port, with long lines to get back, even on the much smaller ships.  

A lot more passengers! 

Flip a coin. Ask the other two their opinion.

Put deposits on both, and out off the decision till the Sun has been sailing a while longer, lol (that's what I'd do, give it some time to shake out).

All said, overall, id probably go CB..longer cruise, more ports, no tendering, less people, larger room.... And save the bells and whistles for some other time..

• Thanks 1

I am not adventurous and would choose the CB over the new Sun.  I'm not into bigger is better ships.

Granted, a suite lounge would be nice, but how far away would it be from your cabin/How much would you use it?

I, too, saw reviews of the Signature Suite.  I'd much prefer the layout of a Vista Suite with a much larger balcony.

Choose your itinerary over the ship.  Which ports are more important?

7-8 days are not very many in the bigger scheme of life.  

BUT...the Sun will have newer production shows (when they come online).  Lots more pay for entertainment (Spellbound, restaurants, etc).  Tendering will be an issue RETURNING to the ship on either ship.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

This is a tough one...

The itinerary on the Caribbean Princess is better, of course.

But, for me, especially after all of the reviews and 'issues'...  I could not choose the Caribbean Princess.

Are there no other itineraries on the Sun, or one of the other newer Royal Class ships you can consider?

Not that work with our schedule and get us to San Juan and St. Thomas, unfortunately. 😞 

19 hours ago, reedprincess said:

I'd be inclined towards CB. But a string lull to Sun too..

CB:

Much much larger room. 

Included adults only pool aft.

Much nicer Sanctuary 

Familiarity (don't discount how much this helps you relax).

Great crew 

Lovely Wheelhouse lounge.

MUTS much more contained 

Old and showing a bit of age 

Less passengers than Sun 

Beautiful promenade all the way around the ship

Longer cruise. And ports tours more interested in. And no tendering!! 

Sun:

New

Signature Lounge (CB does not have a suite lounge).

Signature Restaurant (first ship with suite only restaurant).

New dining options

New shows

Dome

Sanctuary with suite access included (don't know what the situation is with kids in the Sanctuary on Sun, since it's a suite perk.)

But - much less inviting looking environment around the Sanctuary)

Enclave!! Not included for suites, but very relaxing.

New venues 

Shiny and new

Very very different layout, concepts, etc. As you noted - may compel you to participate and explore and go go more than you want to and less relaxing...

Basic itinerary. And Princess Cays is a tender port, with long lines to get back, even on the much smaller ships.  

A lot more passengers! 

Flip a coin. Ask the other two their opinion.

Put deposits on both, and out off the decision till the Sun has been sailing a while longer, lol (that's what I'd do, give it some time to shake out).

All said, overall, id probably go CB..longer cruise, more ports, no tendering, less people, larger room.... And save the bells and whistles for some other time..

This is a great list -- thank you!

Is the Signature Restaurant like the separate area of the MDR on the CB (I think it's called Reserve Dining now, but previously was Club Class), where it has the same menu (with maybe a few additions) and dedicated staff and no wait? Or is the Signature Restaurant a totally different menu/experience?

Posted (edited)

w

23 hours ago, Dani24 said:

the new Sun Princess has a 7 day sailing at the same time, and we can get a Signature Suite for the same price.

that's a no brainer for us. Sun Princess. Even though all I can afford on Sun Princess is an inside cabin.

We were on Caribbean Princess in 2016. It was old and tired even then. It wasn't all that clean either, and we had a noro outbreak. I know it was refurbished a bit since then, but we will never sail on her again.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dani24 said:

This is a great list -- thank you!

Is the Signature Restaurant like the separate area of the MDR on the CB (I think it's called Reserve Dining now, but previously was Club Class), where it has the same menu (with maybe a few additions) and dedicated staff and no wait? Or is the Signature Restaurant a totally different menu/experience?

Signature Restaurant is a standalone separate restaurant with separate decor, service, etc.

However, when it comes to the menu ; so far, reports are that it's mainly the same MDR menu, with a couple different options - and none has seen the elusive prime rib vary that was advertised for months as a fixture, lol..

More exclusive than the ropes of Reserve area as on prior ships - but not a major difference in menu and such, like Lumiere (Celebrity) or Coastal Kitchen (RCCL) or such on other lines...

CB's Reserve class was outstanding last November, among the best I've experienced...

• Like 3

I've not been on Princess' older ships so would not have any comment on the Caribbean Princess.

In my opinion, the following benefits of the Sun would likely outweigh the larger suite on the older ship:  1) included use of the Sanctuary with its dedicated pool and hot tub; 2) suite lounge; and 3) dedicated Signature restaurant (I'm not a fan of the Reserve class restaurant of the other ships that is just a section of the MDR).

1) would be especially important in a warm weather sailing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CalTexCruiser said:

I've not been on Princess' older ships so would not have any comment on the Caribbean Princess.

In my opinion, the following benefits of the Sun would likely outweigh the larger suite on the older ship:  1) included use of the Sanctuary with its dedicated pool and hot tub; 2) suite lounge; and 3) dedicated Signature restaurant (I'm not a fan of the Reserve class restaurant of the other ships that is just a section of the MDR).

The benefits of the Sanctuary is of little use when travelling with a 12 yo.

• Like 1

We are/were in the same situation as you. We are traveling with our daughter and 9 and 11 year old granddaughters. We took them on the Caribbean two years ago and had a wonderful time!!!  (But they were 7 and 9 and loved the kids club area with its splash pad - something a 12 year old wouldn't!) 

This time we chose the Sun because I thought they'd enjoy Park 19. (I hope they're old enough/tall enough to participate)..I also like Princess Cay because they love beaches. We've been to the Caribbean many, many times and don't sail for the ports anymore so that changes our perspective.

I'm interested to hear other's opinions.

2 hours ago, chrysalis said:

The benefits of the Sanctuary is of little use when travelling with a 12 yo.

True, but if the 12yo old wants to try the kids club, its a great place for mom to enjoy

5 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Is the only difference between the Sanctuary on the CB/older ships, and the Sun/newer ships, that they have a dedicated pool/spa within the Sanctuary? 

On the CB, I think I'd be inclined to just hang out on our balcony since it's large, private, and has two nice loungers. Although I am eyeballing the option to get massages in the Sanctuary one day. I assume the experience would be pretty similar between the two ships for that feature though.

On 4/8/2024 at 10:22 PM, dog said:

SUN- PH suite. Rather then Signature suite.

Caribbean Princess- Vista suite.

The Penthouse Suite on the Sun is sold out. It's either a Signature Suite, or spending $1400/day more for an Owner's Suite. Our credit card points are offsetting the cost of the suite by quite a bit, but not that much! 🙂 

However, as I consider it more and more I think I'm leaning towards keeping our CB reservation, but booking a cruise for another time on one of the new ships, and I'll definitely check out the Penthouse Suite. The Signature Suite just isn't impressing me at all, except for the suite amenities.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dani24 said:

Is the only difference between the Sanctuary on the CB/older ships, and the Sun/newer ships, that they have a dedicated pool/spa within the Sanctuary? 

On the CB, I think I'd be inclined to just hang out on our balcony since it's large, private, and has two nice loungers. Although I am eyeballing the option to get massages in the Sanctuary one day. I assume the experience would be pretty similar between the two ships for that feature though.

in all of the pictures and videos of the Sanctuary on the Sun I don’t remember ANY of the massage cabanas that they have on all of Grand class ships. There are cabanas to rent ($500/day) but they have couches in them. No massage tables)

20 minutes ago, chamima said:

in all of the pictures and videos of the Sanctuary on the Sun I don’t remember ANY of the massage cabanas that they have on all of Grand class ships. There are cabanas to rent ($500/day) but they have couches in them. No massage tables)

Good to know! Then we'll definitely take advantage of that on the CB, if we decide to stick with our current booking. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Dani24 said:

No, not the only difference.

Sun's Sanctuary is quite stark, virtually no shade unless I'm a Cabana, way more loungers and not all are padded, lux like the older ships.  It does have a dedicated bar within it.. it also has Park 19 activities right above it and forward a bit 

And no one has been able to get definitively answer whether kids in suites are allowed or if it solely adults only - given it's now Suites first and a suite perk, denying the suite kids would be odd... Waiting on an actual definitive answer on that one.. most people say AO, but then there haven't been a whole lot of kids aboard, in suites...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

And no one has been able to get definitively answer whether kids in suites are allowed or if it solely adults only - given it's now Suites first and a suite perk, denying the suite kids would be odd... Waiting on an actual definitive answer on that one.. most people say AO, but then there haven't been a whole lot of kids aboard, in suites...

Answered here:)

8 minutes ago, whitcruising said:

Answered here:)

And yet on other forums, suite guests have talked about kids in there, speaking with the suite concierge and having their kids allowed.   

Time will tell .

• Like 2