Crawling out from under a cruising rock ... need some opinions

Posted (edited)

Other than a very brief weekend cruise on RCCL to Ensenada two years ago, my husband and I have not cruised in 10 years. I used to be "in the know" about cruise lines, ships, and cruise experiences, and now I feel like I just crawled out from under a rock. We also used to sail alone and now have two kids under 10, and I know nothing about kids and Carnival (kids club, shipboard activities, etc.).

Can I get some thoughts and opinions on these potential cruises? Looking at three different ships and a mix up of private islands and other POC. We've never been on a newer mega ship and have no idea what that experience is like. I've also never been to any of the private islands (nor have we been to Grand Turk) so I don't know which are better or worse. We have been to Belize, Cozumel, and San Juan, so know what to expect there (over a decade ago, though). We have been on the Liberty but that was almost 20 years ago. Our kids are 9 and 5 and this will be their second cruise, first trip to the Caribbean.

These are the cruises we are considering for this August (flying from California):

6-Day Eastern Caribbean from Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL

Carnival Vista 

Half Moon Cay > Grand Turk > Amber Cove 

7-Day Western Caribbean from New Orleans, LA

Carnival Liberty

Mahogany Bay > Belize > Cozumel

7-Day from Miami, FL

Carnival Magic 

Eastern San Juan > Amber Cove > Grand Turk

OR

Western: Cozumel > Belize > Mahogany Bay

Edited by PaddleAddict
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaddleAddict said:

Other than a very brief weekend cruise on RCCL to Ensenada two years ago, my husband and I have not cruised in 10 years. I used to be "in the know" about cruise lines, ships, and cruise experiences, and now I feel like I just crawled out from under a rock. We also used to sail alone and now have two kids under 10, and I know nothing about kids and Carnival (kids club, shipboard activities, etc.).

Can I get some thoughts and opinions on these potential cruises? Looking at three different ships and a mix up of private islands and other POC. We've never been on a newer mega ship and have no idea what that experience is like. I've also never been to any of the private islands (nor have we been to Grand Turk) so I don't know which are better or worse. We have been to Belize, Cozumel, and San Juan, so know what to expect there (over a decade ago, though). We have been on the Liberty but that was almost 20 years ago. Our kids are 9 and 5 and this will be their second cruise, first trip to the Caribbean.

These are the cruises we are considering for this August (flying from California):

6-Day Eastern Caribbean from Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL

Carnival Vista 

Half Moon Cay > Grand Turk > Amber Cove 

7-Day Western Caribbean from New Orleans, LA

Carnival Liberty

Mahogany Bay > Belize > Cozumel

7-Day from Miami, FL

Carnival Magic 

Eastern San Juan > Amber Cove > Grand Turk

OR

Western: Cozumel > Belize > Mahogany Bay

I just took my grand kids—5 of them ages 5-11 along with my DD and her husband on the vista sailing you mentioned above. They loved it. They really liked the kids club and asked to go every day. They really enjoyed the beach at Grand Turk and had a lot of fun in the pool at Amber cove. We did not get off the ship at half moon cay and just enjoyed the water park on the ship all day. We stayed in a family harbor suite and connecting balcony room and the family harbor lounge was a huge bonus for breakfast and snacks. They have asked to go again so we are going on the same ship mainly because finding connecting cabins for a group of 8 is not easy. I was used to the older carnival ships such as spirit breeze dream victory and triumph so navigating this ship was a little more difficult for me but we all had a good time. 

• Like 4

While the Vista is a newer ship than the Magic, I personally would prefer an itinerary with San Juan. I think the kids would really enjoy exploring the forts (castillos).

But then again, I would love to go back to New Orleans. My first cruise was out of New Orleans on the Carnival Fantasy in 2007. I had never wanted to go on a cruise, but was bribed with a few extra days in NOLA before and after the cruise. I've been hooked ever since.

Enjoy!

• Like 3

We haven't sailed with kids that young in quite a while but out of the cruises you listed I would go with the Vista. It's a newer (than the others listed) ship and has three easy ports with stuff to do right at the port.

• Like 3

From Orange County, CA, the obvious choice would be the Panorama out of Los Angeles (Long Beach).  Save the airfare for four people and drive to the port instead.  The Mexican Riviera ports are as nice as the Caribbean ports you are considering.  (Much as I enjoy San Juan!)

• Like 4

I would eliminate itineraries with Belize.  Nothing there unless you do excursions, long tender ride.  Half Moon Cay is HALs private island, used by Carnival when available.  Great beach. Amber Cove and Grand Turk are both Carnival created ports, very much alike with great pools.  Amber Cove does not have a beach, but does have a zip line.  EM

• Like 3

Took our grandson for his school spring break in march. We were on the Vista, 6 days, we

went to half moon cay, amber cove, and grand turk, Grandson loved the ship, skyride, rope course, and I Max theater, half moon cay was a beach day, amber cove, did the pool, and

he done the zipline at the port, and pool day at grand turk. My two cents worth.

• Like 2

I vote for the Magic cruise.  We are actually taking this same cruise on the Magic next month.  San Juan is one of our favorite ports.  So much history.  Old San Juan is like walking into another world.  Taking the walk along the Paseo del Morro is breath taking.

• Like 2

We just cruised on the Glory from NOLA it was outstanding.  Mahogany Bay would be great for kids, book a beach clamshell right at the port. Plus sailing down the Mississippi River is so nice. We've done it seven times. 

• Like 2

Did that Magic cruise to a tee last year out of Norfolk.

Same ship and ports of call, only difference was home port. (eastern I mean, to San Juan).

I would do it again (and have actually sailed that itinerary a few other times before) but on a different ship.

I love San Juan but I'd probably do the Vista itinerary. Gets you a newer ship and a visit to Half Moon Cay, although it is a day shorter.

But good point from @Mike45LC - since this is your first cruise in such a long time why not ease your way into it and cruise out of Long Beach.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2024 at 12:42 PM, tha sista said:

I just took my grand kids—5 of them ages 5-11 along with my DD and her husband on the vista sailing you mentioned above. They loved it. They really liked the kids club and asked to go every day. They really enjoyed the beach at Grand Turk and had a lot of fun in the pool at Amber cove. We did not get off the ship at half moon cay and just enjoyed the water park on the ship all day. We stayed in a family harbor suite and connecting balcony room and the family harbor lounge was a huge bonus for breakfast and snacks. They have asked to go again so we are going on the same ship mainly because finding connecting cabins for a group of 8 is not easy. I was used to the older carnival ships such as spirit breeze dream victory and triumph so navigating this ship was a little more difficult for me but we all had a good time. 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 1:06 PM, rudechuck said:

While the Vista is a newer ship than the Magic, I personally would prefer an itinerary with San Juan. I think the kids would really enjoy exploring the forts (castillos).

But then again, I would love to go back to New Orleans. My first cruise was out of New Orleans on the Carnival Fantasy in 2007. I had never wanted to go on a cruise, but was bribed with a few extra days in NOLA before and after the cruise. I've been hooked ever since.

Enjoy!

I also would like to go back to NOLA! I've only been once pre-cruise.

On 4/12/2024 at 1:06 PM, mamiamjo said:

We haven't sailed with kids that young in quite a while but out of the cruises you listed I would go with the Vista. It's a newer (than the others listed) ship and has three easy ports with stuff to do right at the port.

Yes, pre-kids those ports wouldn't have appealed to us but with the kids I can see the draw.

On 4/12/2024 at 3:42 PM, Mike45LC said:

From Orange County, CA, the obvious choice would be the Panorama out of Los Angeles (Long Beach).  Save the airfare for four people and drive to the port instead.  The Mexican Riviera ports are as nice as the Caribbean ports you are considering.  (Much as I enjoy San Juan!)

So, thank you for bringing this up. This is something to consider. Despite having lived here my entire life, I've never been to those ports (Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas). I have only been to Ensenada on the so-called "booze cruises" with friends (and once with the kids, their first and only cruise ... we did not get off at port due to covid restrictions at that time).

Is the water warm and calm at those Mexican ports like in the Caribbean? Are the beaches nice? The beaches and warm water are the draw for the Caribbean, but maybe I'm neglecting a very good different option on this coast.

I don't have young kids, but Id' take the Magic any day, probably the Eastern route, because Cozumel and Belize have been done several times. I have been on the Panorama and it's the same class ship as the Vista. Bigger than Magic, but I love the Dream Class ships.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaddleAddict said:

So, thank you for bringing this up. This is something to consider. Despite having lived here my entire life, I've never been to those ports (Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas). I have only been to Ensenada on the so-called "booze cruises" with friends (and once with the kids, their first and only cruise ... we did not get off at port due to covid restrictions at that time).

Is the water warm and calm at those Mexican ports like in the Caribbean? Are the beaches nice? The beaches and warm water are the draw for the Caribbean, but maybe I'm neglecting a very good different option on this coast.

No, the beaches are not as nice, however, the port cities Mazatlan and PV have so much more to do. 

• Like 1

Mazatlan has Stone Island for a nice beach experience.

Cabo has Medano Beach.

Puerto Vallarta has Los Muertas Beach.

All three are worth a visit.  None are as wonderful as Megans Bay (St. Thomas), but I dislike the cross-country flights!  40 minute drive (OC to LA/Long Beach) versus 5 hours flight (plus one hour drive OC to LAX, two hours pre-flight for TSA, etc.)  No contest, in my never humble opinion.

• Like 3

Cabo is one of my favorite all time ports. The water was clear and warm.  We did the deluxe catamaran cruise from Carnival.  The boat was wonderful, the crew was nice, the food was great.  Highly recommend it.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Cabo is one of my favorite all time ports. The water was clear and warm.  We did the deluxe catamaran cruise from Carnival.  The boat was wonderful, the crew was nice, the food was great.  Highly recommend it.  

did you find this excursion very crowded?

I'm going to agree with those pointing you to the Panorama. Especially with kids, the 'low impact' of getting there from home makes that a winner. If everyone ends up loving it, then your next trip is to the Caribbean.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think the beaches and water in the Caribbean are warmer, clearer and cleaner than the waters off of Mazatlán or Puerto Vallarta. Given the choice, I would be packing the kids on a plane so they could experience swimming in the Caribbean.

Speaking of kids, make sure you and the kids go to the first meet and greet for the kids club.  It truly helps in establishing friends there and makes the time while at the club more fun for them (and you if you want a little mommy and daddy time) as they make buddies.

I'm torn between embarking from Miami or PC.  7 days on a cruise is better than 6, but I'm a big fan of PC and that itinerary on Vista is beachtastic! 

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tha sista said:

did you find this excursion very crowded?

Not at all.  Since it was the "Deluxe", I think Carnival capped it at 12 or so people.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you should definitely consider the Panorama this time and save the Caribbean for your next cruise. The Panorama is the crown jewel of the Vista class ships, I have been on her 5 times in the last two years. We took our 9 year old grandson on his first cruise on the Panorama in October 2022 and are taking him again this August. He had the time of his life on the ship, we didn’t do that much in the ports other than a day pass to the Marriott in PV which he loved. This year we are going with our friends and their two grandsons and have excursions booked. 

The Panorama has the Sky Zone trampoline park which the Vista does not plus Guys Smokehouse & Brewery and the Teppanyaki Grill. The Teppanyaki restaurant was so much fun, the Chef was very entertaining and our grandson had a blast. We have it booked again with the three boys. The kids club is fantastic, he wanted to go every day. The water park, Sky Zone and Sky Ride were huge hits and so were the deck parties, they are kid friendly. The money you save on airfare will be more money for the ports, excursions and specialty dining. You will also need at least one night hotel if you sail out of the East Coast. Plus all the hassle of flying and dealing with airports, it is so easy to drive to the port and no weight limits on your bags! 😜

I love the Caribbean and enjoy the ports more but the Panorama and the ease of sailing from your home port would make it an easy choice for me. We do plan to take him to the Caribbean on an Exel class ship for his 13th birthday. Have a great time whatever you decide, Carnival is great for family cruises, they are serious about their Fun Ship reputation! 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I think the beaches and water in the Caribbean are warmer, clearer and cleaner than the waters off of Mazatlán or Puerto Vallarta. Given the choice, I would be packing the kids on a plane so they could experience swimming in the Caribbean.

Speaking of kids, make sure you and the kids go to the first meet and greet for the kids club.  It truly helps in establishing friends there and makes the time while at the club more fun for them (and you if you want a little mommy and daddy time) as they make buddies.

I'm torn between embarking from Miami or PC.  7 days on a cruise is better than 6, but I'm a big fan of PC and that itinerary on Vista is beachtastic! 

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!

Thank you for this tip about the kids club! I assume that is fairly early on embarkation day?