In room movies

On those nights when we are too tired to do anything but relax in the cabin, we do enjoy watching a movie or two. On our past Celebrity cruises, there was a good selection of free to watch, on demand, films etc. Is this still the case, or have Celebrity started to charge for everything? We are sailing out of Southampton in May 2024. 

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

on E CLASS ships..there were very limited offerings ..

And yet on E class ships they have the most offerings!  So you can just imagine how poor the offerings are on other classes.  On our Connie cruise, there were no movies at all, other than those that occasionally happened to be playing on one of their very limited channels.

To the OP - surprised the people haven't come out yet to chastise you for wanting to watch tv in your cabin as they usually do - you get lectured about why go on a cruise to just spend time in your room.  But I'm on your side - I cruise a lot, often long sailings due to b2b, and at the end of the night I often just want to lay in bed and catch a little tv.  Sadly, it's been one of my complaints for years that Celebrity tv choices are severely limited, primarily to news, more news, soccer, maybe a tennis match, and a few cartoons.  

• Like 2

E class also have NO music channels on TV...not a one.  Unlike S class that have a large variety of music.....  

Celebrity on the whole has pretty lousy tv selections, unlike Oceania and Princess which had a very large selection of movies, old & new and tv shows.  

One advantage on E class is the ability to stream netflix and others.  

• Like 1

Reflection's choices were quite poor, but we watched Ferrari, Boys in a Boat, and A Million Mile Away. There was also the new Color Purple, but we didn't watch it.

This was just something to watch while you wait for the whole family to get through evening showers. 🙂

The TV was old and crappy.

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

On our Connie cruise, there were no movies at all, other than those that occasionally happened to be playing on one of their very limited channels.

This was my experience as well, plus the quality of the image was terrible.

Summit I did have better luck and found although limited I was able to find something.

I never looked on Beyond, I was too busy so time I got back to my room I fell asleep

we did enjoy the re runs of the Beyond the Podium lectures that we missed and Cap's presentation .... most of the channels were pushing stuff to buy or excursions

they used to offer much more.. now I just read my tablet..

3 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

On those nights when we are too tired to do anything but relax in the cabin, we do enjoy watching a movie or two. On our past Celebrity cruises, there was a good selection of free to watch, on demand, films etc. Is this still the case, or have Celebrity started to charge for everything? We are sailing out of Southampton in May 2024. 

There seems to be a steady erosion in the number of on-demand movies available since 2014-ish is my observation.  During our past Dec sailing on Solstice there were very few options.  Most of the movies we watched were shown on a movie channel and very little from the on-demand library.  Next Saturday we will be boarding Summit for her 14 night Panama Canal sailing which has 8 sea days.  I am downloading a few movies onto my iPad because my expectations of onboard options are so low.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I’ve asked how long is a piece of string! On our last Celebrity cruises, just pre Covid, we were able to watch a film most nights, not the just released blockbusters, but recent enough for us not to have seen them. It was a big bonus to be able to start and stop them at will, unlike one other line, where the films started on a strict timetable which was very inconvenient. Not interested in news or sports, or listening to music via the tv. 
Thanks, Phoenix Dream, I haven’t been criticised yet! We cruise because it’s like staying in a nice hotel, but waking up in a different place every morning! And only having to unpack once! The big advantage of evening entertainment in our cabin is that we can turn down the volume to a sensible level! 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

On The Ascent you will have many choices and categories under their Movie Demand . Examples: you can watch, family, drama,  comedy, and etc.

Edited by cruise47

What I have found over the years each cruise is unique to the amount of movies that are available. It has never made any sense. Our last two cruises this year on the ascent there were many movies on demand. In October on the equinox there were many, in July on apex there few. I have found each cruise there is no rhyme or reason to the amount of movies available. 

On 4/14/2024 at 10:59 PM, phoenix_dream said:

To the OP - surprised the people haven't come out yet to chastise you for wanting to watch tv in your cabin as they usually do - you get lectured about why go on a cruise to just spend time in your room. 

Maybe those that chastise have never been confined to their cabin as we were on our last cruise when we got covid.

8 of our 12 days cruise were spent  reading ( thank goodness for Kindle and ebooks) watching the world go by from the balcony or watching films on the TV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Perhaps a dumb question but how is this done?  

The directions are on the TV. I don't remember the exact way because I was on Apex a year ago, but we found it on one of the menu options.  It was really easy once we knew how to do it, pretty sure our butler helped the first time.

Maybe someone else here who has been on E class could help more.  

On our last cruise in January on Connie, the tv service was so bad, reception was very, very poor, it was hit and miss with getting any tv service.

When you were able to get a channel it was mostly children's tv.

This was the week of the College Football National Championship.

We are not big tv viewers, we like to watch morning and evening news.

I hope they have fixed the issue