Specialty dining advice please!

Hello,

My college son and I will be on Symphony of the Seas May 10-13th; I am considering a specialty dining venue one night because our dining time conflicts with a showtime.  The choices are Chops $54.99 p/p, Jaimie O. $45.99 p/p, or Izumi $33.99 p/p.  These prices are slightly cheaper today so I would prefer to book now.  In your opinion which is the best option based on ambience, food, and price? We have the opportunity to sample these cuisines so curious to your opinion on these specialty restaurants on this ship! Thank you for any insight you can provide! 

I would choose Izumi but that's just personal preference. They have plenty of non raw fish options if that's an issue. Chops is nice too. I would put Jamie's last, not that it's bad but I don't like Italian food as much. Someone else could give opposite answers and not be wrong. I would choose based on your general food preferences. 

• Like 1

Food is subjective. 20 people will have 20 different opinions. I'd choose whichever looks best to your personal preferences (and factor in cost if that matters).

Posted (edited)

As mentioned food quality is completely subjective and recognizing that fact and the fact that others will completely disagree, we dine almost exclusively at the specialty restaurants and have for a number of years, and of the three you mention Jamie's is by far our least favorite and one we typically avoid on any ship.

So for us that would leave Chops and Izumi.  Hard choice as both are good but totally opposite so it would come down IMO to which palate you generally prefer. Note that Izumi is a la carte and not one, for that reason, that we would include on a prepaid fee basis as our a la carte selections rarely equal the credit allowed. But they book quickly so if you wait to do so on board I would go there to make reservations as soon as you board. Just our experience.

I guess based on that I would choose Chops to pre-book on the planner.  But you can always add a lunch at Izumi a la carte to experience that venue as well. Same basic menu.

On Symphony our favorites are 150 Central Park, Hooked, and certainly Izumi. Not excluding Chops as we eat there virtually every cruise a well.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

If I was to pick one restaurant on Symphony it would be Hooked. Second would be 150 Central Park. I would pick Chops from the three you mentioned. As others have stated, food is very subjective and ultimately you know what kind of food you like best. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not a Sushi eater so that makes the choice for me even simpler.  I always enjoy both however, if I was going to restrict myself to just one I'd probably choose Jamies.  If you are a steak eater the steak in Jamies is awesome so you get the best of both worlds.  

Thanks everyone I realize food is very subjective and we truly enjoy all types of cuisine! I have looked at all the menus, but have not dined in RCCL specialty restaurants and that is why I needed some advice!  It has been 12 years since we sailed on RCCL ( please don’t flame me for saying this) but the food offered in the dining rooms bordered on inedible to unappetizing.  It is one of the main reasons we left the cruise line.  Thanks again for your thoughts! 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Mparker12 said:

Thanks everyone I realize food is very subjective and we truly enjoy all types of cuisine! I have looked at all the menus, but have not dined in RCCL specialty restaurants and that is why I needed some advice!  It has been 12 years since we sailed on RCCL ( please don’t flame me for saying this) but the food offered in the dining rooms bordered on inedible to unappetizing.  It is one of the main reasons we left the cruise line.  Thanks again for your thoughts! 

We have been cruising for 32 years, and back in the day before specialty restaurants the MDR was quite good and with a nice variety of offerings.  Primarily in order to manage costs, that presentation has certainly changed and has been reduced overall in quality and selection.  And unfortunately that is what the complimentary included dining options now consist of.  I also don't think RCCL is alone in this.  IMO the specialty restaurant options far exceed that and have taken even the old very good MDR offerings to a whole new level. 

It really is you get what you pay for.  The MDR is not bad, it just isn't what it used to be and is nowhere near the level of the specialty restaurants, which is why we dine primarily in the specialties. To us, the specialty restaurant dining packages are well worth the cost and is now just a part of the overall cruise budget for us.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

We were recently on Symphony and ate at all of the ones you mentioned.  For the best ambience we love to sit outside in Central Park at either Chops or Jamie’s. It is beautiful at night and you can listen to the music.  We love both, you can’t go wrong. We also loved Izumi Hibachi, a dinner and show!  Have a wonderful time!

• Like 1

If I could only choose one, I would go with Chops. The food quality is consistent. I love the location in Central Park on the Symphony, and depending on the weather, I really like sitting outside on the terrace. It's great people watching, not too loud or too quiet, and you can watch the Rising Tides Bar go up and down.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

We have been cruising for 32 years, and back in the day before specialty restaurants the MDR was quite good and with a nice variety of offerings.  Primarily in order to manage costs, that presentation has certainly changed and has been reduced overall in quality and selection.  And unfortunately that is what the complimentary included dining options now consist of.  I also don't think RCCL is alone in this.  IMO the specialty restaurant options far exceed that and have taken even the old very good MDR offerings to a whole new level. 

It really is you get what you pay for.  The MDR is not bad, it just isn't what it used to be and is nowhere near the level of the specialty restaurants, which is why we dine primarily in the specialties. To us, the specialty restaurant dining packages are well worth the cost and is now just a part of the overall cruise budget for us.

When I started cruising there were no specialty restaurants and no balconies, totally agree on rccl I would always eat there even in a suite they are much better than their suite restaurant CK. 

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If I was to pick one restaurant on Symphony it would be Hooked. Second would be 150 Central Park. I would pick Chops from the three you mentioned. As others have stated, food is very subjective and ultimately you know what kind of food you like best. 

Agree, we would choose Hooked.  Chops would be second but we had no complaints about Jamies.

2 hours ago, tanderine said:

We were recently on Symphony and ate at all of the ones you mentioned.  For the best ambience we love to sit outside in Central Park at either Chops or Jamie’s. It is beautiful at night and you can listen to the music.  We love both, you can’t go wrong. We also loved Izumi Hibachi, a dinner and show!  Have a wonderful time!

Agree with sitting outside at Chops in the evening.  To the OP, Don't rule out Wonderland. Food and ambience very different. Symphony has a great Wonderland compared to Quantum Class. If I remember right if you sit by the window you get a view of the Aqua show. 

3 hours ago, Mparker12 said:

If you think the food in the MDR was inedible, not sure if you would be satisfied with food in the speciality restaurants. In my opinion the food in speciality restaurants is a step above food in the MDR, but it’s not a huge step. I understand food is very subjective, but if your starting point is food in the MDR is inedible, I have a feeling you are not going to be that impressed with food in speciality restaurants. 

• Like 2

I am new to the deluxe dining plan as well.  In order to purchase the dining plan, I had to select a reservation for day one but it didn't give me a choice as to which restaurant.  How do I know where to go?  How / when do you make reservations for dinner?  lunch when at sea?  TYIA

32 minutes ago, BNR091496 said:

I am new to the deluxe dining plan as well.  In order to purchase the dining plan, I had to select a reservation for day one but it didn't give me a choice as to which restaurant.  How do I know where to go?  How / when do you make reservations for dinner?  lunch when at sea?  TYIA

When you get onboard, go to one of the specialty restaurants or to one of the specialty dining kiosks and ask where they have scheduled you.  Of you want to change to a different restaurant, different time or different day, you can do it at that time.  You can also make the remainder of your reservations at that time.

Chops used to be really good.  Last few times we did our BOGO there it was really mediocre.  Service and ambiance was nice.  Steak - meh.....

I cook better myself.

Usually don't do Italian because I am Italian and why?

However, we did Jamie's on the Anthem for a BOGO and was pleasantly surprised.  The service was great but the ambiance - meh.....

3 hours ago, BNR091496 said:

Like @RFerrington said, go to one of the specialty restaurants immediately upon boarding.

Book all your specialty dining right there.  For the fastest service have a list of restaurants and times you would like to eat.  Do this a quickly as possible. The longer you wait the more difficult getting the times and places you want will be. 

• Like 2

I really have enjoyed most specialty restaurants on last few cruises, we buy UDP , for the price I think they are reasonable considering they include all your appetizers and deserts . Chops was particularly good on last two cruises on harmony and allure so has the Italian restaurants.

Hmmm.  I'd do Izumi.  Only one that is worth the money.  The other 2, no.  Their food resembles Applebee's which is actually good but probably cheaper pp than Jamie's and Chops.  I am not a big fan of Chops especially when I think my husband does a better job with our grill and smoker.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Hmmm.  I'd do Izumi.  Only one that is worth the money.  The other 2, no.  Their food resembles Applebee's which is actually good but probably cheaper pp than Jamie's and Chops.  I am not a big fan of Chops especially when I think my husband does a better job with our grill and smoker.

Izumi is good but doesn’t include unlimited appetizers and deserts like others .

3 hours ago, George C said:

Izumi is good but doesn’t include unlimited appetizers and deserts like others .

I didn't realize the others were unlimited appetizers and desserts.  Good to know just in case.