Please Help with Packing Clothes!

A question for all of you "experienced cruisers" . . . 

We are leaving for a 10 day cruise on May 20 on the Princess Emerald.  We are departing and returning to Fort Lauderdale.  We will be going to St. Marteen, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau, 

I am really struggling with what clothes to pack!  Do we need long pants?  I currently have dresses for evening dinners, two dressy ones for formal nights.  The others are types that I would wear to church. My husband is planning on dress pants with short sleeve button shirts or polos.  I also have nicer short sleeve shirts and shorts for during the days.  We aren't the type that will be wearing our bathing suit around.  I am thinking a cardigan to throw over whatever.  And also a rain jacket.

I also have read that it is easier for disembarkation if we only have one piece of luggage per person.  Do you agree with that?  We will be taking a shuttle to our personal parked vehicle.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you so much!  I always stress out too much on packing when we go on vacations.  This one, I really do not have any idea!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Posted (edited)

Ashore you'll need a pac-a-mac or light waterproof cape or somesuch that you can very easily carry in a handbag or pocket. It rarely rains for long periods, and we've only once ever experienced a full day of rain & overcast skies in the Caribbean. 

But from time to time you may get caught in a short sharp shower - not cold, actually quite refreshing, and 5 to 10 minutes after it's stopped everything including roads & sidewalks will be bone-dry again.

Aboard the ship, in the evenings some folk find the aircon in public rooms like the dining room & theatre a little too cold. so take a pashmina or cardigan or similar.

Folk on Princess(one of our favourite lines) tend to make a bit of an effort in the evenings - long pants & collared or polo-neck shirts, no sports shirts or baseball caps for the gents, and smart/casual skirts or pants for the ladies. Not a rule, certainly for most nights, just the way that folk fit in.

Don't know Nassau, the rest of the itinerary is good, and varied.

Have a good one

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

Posted (edited)

If you are self-disembarking, one piece of luggage (plus a backpack?) per person is easier. Keep in mind that if you don't have a hand free when carrying luggage, you need to use the elevator rather than the escalator once you're back in the terminal.

If you're putting your luggage out the night before, it doesn't really matter.

What you've described as wanting to pack would be what we would pack, except that we'd wear the same outfits for both "dressy" nights. We also go light on shoes, as we have to fly to any cruise ports. We travel with a carry-on size suitcase and a backpack each, plus I have my purse .That works well for us.

Edited by mammajamma2013
Clarity
  • Like 1

You are on track with what we do.  DH wears khakis and dress shirt on dressy nights, sometimes with a sport coat.  (He generally wears that on the plane.) jeans or khakis with polo shirts other nights.  I wear black slim pants with dressy tops a skirt or dress for the dressy nights.  I used to take gowns or cocktail dresses but seldom do now.  'Church' or smart casual other nights.

You're cruising in May so it will be hot most of the time.  Shorts, tanks, t shirts, etc. or casual sun dresses are perfect.  On board in the day I wear shorts normally over a swim suit or throw on a casual dress.  

I usually bring a cardigan to dinner as it can be cool in the dining rooms, although it doesn't seem to be such a problem anymore. Also good for on deck at night.  I always have a light jacket along and so far (in over 30 Caribbean cruises) haven't needed a rain jacket, although I usually pack one of the cheap ones that come in a pouch.  

We each bring a 24" suitcase and a small carryon.  If it was a 7 day cruise, maybe a 21" instead.  Since we get free bags we generally don't carry on.  I wear my walking shoes and  bring a couple of sandals, a couple of dressier wedges for evening and sometimes a pair of flats.  I've found that more than one pair of sandal is essential as I have had problems with blisters wearing even shoes that are well broken in, probably due to the heat and extensive walking.  Sometimes I throw in a pair of water shoes, depending on itinerary.

My small carryon has a shoe compartment that holds at least 3 pair of shoes, the rest fit in my suitcase.  I have smaller feet, so that helps, but also problem feet that need options. 

Formal nights are not rigidly adhered to on Princess. Treat them like any other night. Pack what you need for the trip then, if there is room remaining, pack your fancy garb. If there isn't room don't worry about it. 

• Like 1

Hi, daytime in the Caribbean? You won't need long pants for that......lightweight capris and shorts are what I usually wear during the day......if you are on the ship? Bathing suit and cover up always works. If you are more comfortable in a sundress, that works too. 

I have never sailed with Princess but I have been cruising for over 20 years on many different lines........a Caribbean cruise, (no matter the line) is really casual, at least during the day. If you feel like dressing up for dinner? You may certainly do so. I wear slacks and nice tops every night.....I am not a "dress" gal so nicer slacks work for me.

Hope you both have a great cruise🙂

• Like 1

You're on the right track.  

DINNERS

- For 10 dinners onboard, I'd pack 5 dresses and assume each'd be worn twice -- believe me, no one will notice.  I can't really say I pack what I'd wear for church; I tend to bring a lot of sleeveless dresses on cruises, and I wouldn't wear sleeveless to church.  But nothing too dressy; I tend towards bright-colored summery dresses.  I never wear pants to dinner -- just my preference.  

- You say you're packing fancy dresses.  You won't be alone -- maybe 30% of the ladies will be in cocktail dresses.  

- Be sure one pair of simple dressy shoes matches ALL your dinner dresses.

- I don't bring a cardigan or other warm layer -- I never want it, but you know your own comfort level.  

- For 10 nights my husband'd bring a pair of nice jeans, a pair of dress pants and 5 dress shirts -- again, assuming that each'd be worn twice.  As you said, short sleeved button down shirts and /or polos.  He has one blue guayabera-type shirt with a shark print that he likes to wear on cruises. 

- You ask if you need long pants: They might be required for some activities.  We like Royal Caribbean, and they require long pants for ice skating.  On our next cruise we're taking a tour of the kitchen, and long pants are required for that.  It's possible you'll need long pants for an excursion.  You'll have to judge that for yourself. 

- Will you need long pants for general wear around the ship?  Not during the day.  My husband, personally, would not wear shorts in the dining room; you may see a smattering of adult men in shorts, but they'll be few in number.  

DAY CLOTHES

- I wear casual (not athletic) shorts with pockets paired with casual blouses -- occasionally a tee-shirt.  I pack three tops for every pair of shorts, and I always wear shorts "on their last day of wear" ashore, where I'm more likely to get sweaty.  I also wear casual dresses or tee-dresses around the ship.  

- My husband wears typical men's shorts -- mostly cargo type shorts paired with mostly tee-shirts.  He's partial to the Guy Harvey fish tees, Hawaiian type shirts and occasionally a polo.  

- We do not bring jackets.  We bring raincoats only if rain is expected; on our last trip to Cozumel we got absolutely drenched, and it was okay -- upon returning to the ship, we showered and changed into dry clothes.  We were fine.  

- I'd suggest you add hats to your packing list.  I sometimes bring a pretty straw hat, but I always pack a ball cap -- very handy for wearing on island stops.  We're both fine to keep going in the rain as long as we can keep the rain off our faces.  

- You say you're not the type to wear your swimsuit around -- most adults don't wear them around the ship, but you'll see people in the elevators wearing cover-ups over suits.  

DISEMBARKATION 

- Assuming you're able-bodied, definitely plan to use Self-Disembarkation.  This means you keep your suitcase in your room and just leave whenever you please.  The negative is that a lot of people do this, and the elevators will be crowded.  You may need to wait or take the stairs (with your suitcase).  With one small suitcase each + a carry-on bag, this is easy.  If your carry-on is a backpack, you'll have no problem managing it + your suitcase.  If your carry-on is a tote bag, try to choose one with a trolley sleeve or bring a bungee cord or other method to attach it to your suitcase's pull-up handle.  

- Just so you'll know, the opposite is Traditional Disembarkation.  You put your suitcase out in the hall the night before, and your cabin steward takes it away, leaving you with only your carry-on bag.  You will be assigned a 30-minute time slot, and you must leave during that 30 minutes.  Your luggage will be paraded out during that 30 minutes, and you'll have to search for it.  See why just keeping your stuff and walking off is easier?  

- For 10 nights, we'd each bring a rolling carry-on + a backpack (or tote bag) OR we'd share our 26" rolling bag + a backpack (or tote bag) each.  

- When 3-4 days remain, your cabin steward will ask you when /how you plan to leave.  That's how the ship knows whether you plan to use Self-Disembarkation or Traditional.  

- We also drive to the port, and we prefer to leave our car in the port's terminal parking.  Yes, it costs more, but we face an 8-hour drive after a cruise, and we like being able to walk straight out to our car and leave.  We take care to leave the car clean of food wrappers and full of gas.  

23 hours ago, John Bull said:

Ashore you'll need a pac-a-mac or light waterproof cape or somesuch that you can very easily carry in a handbag or pocket. It rarely rains for long periods, and we've only once ever experienced a full day of rain & overcast skies in the Caribbean. 

I've been cruising over 20 years, and we've never done this.  We just don't mind getting wet as long as we have a hat.  

I do suggest you bring a pair of tennis shoes AND a pair of good walking sandals ... if one pair is soaked on an island stop, you'll have the other pair of day shoes available to you.  

23 hours ago, John Bull said:

Don't know Nassau, the rest of the itinerary is good, and varied.

Nassau is a pit.  I'd suggest taking an excursion that leaves from the dock /doesn't require you to enter the city.  Or stay onboard and have the ship to yourself.  

23 hours ago, mammajamma2013 said:

If you are self-disembarking, one piece of luggage (plus a backpack?) per person is easier. Keep in mind that if you don't have a hand free when carrying luggage, you need to use the elevator rather than the escalator once you're back in the terminal.

Yes, that's why a backpack makes so much sense as a carry-on.  We're solidly Team Hands-Free.  A backpack is perfect for island stops too. 

23 hours ago, mammajamma2013 said:

We also go light on shoes, as we have to fly to any cruise ports. We travel with a carry-on size suitcase and a backpack each, plus I have my purse .That works well for us.

Shoes are the make-or-break item for packing lightly.  

I wear a pair of tennis shoes onboard, pack walking sandals, and pack a pair of dressy dinner shoes.  If our excursion plans require them, I'll add water shoes.  That's enough.  

27 minutes ago, Lois R said:

lightweight capris

Capris should be illegal.  They make tall, willowy models look short and stout, so what do they do to the rest of us?  

27 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I am not a "dress" gal so nicer slacks work for me.

Whereas I much prefer dresses -- but you'll see plenty of ladies in both types of garb at dinner.  Neither is preferred over the other.  

16 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I wear a pair of tennis shoes onboard, pack walking sandals, and pack a pair of dressy dinner shoes.  If our excursion plans require them, I'll add water shoes.  That's enough.

Also what I do. I wear my tennis shoes on the plane and alternate between them and the sandals for on-board.

As to capris, they are my preferred wear, at home or on a cruise. I'm not particularly concerned if they make me look shorter and dumpier. 

• Like 2

Thank you so much for all this information!!  You have all took away a lot of my stress.  
I am definitely open to any other informaton.
Mum2Mercury,  we have plans to leave our car at Park by the Ports and take their shuttle. I picked this by just a google search. 

59 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I've been cruising over 20 years, and we've never done this.  We just don't mind getting wet as long as we have a hat.  

I do suggest you bring a pair of tennis shoes AND a pair of good walking sandals ... if one pair is soaked on an island stop, you'll have the other pair of day shoes available to you.  

Nassau is a pit.  I'd suggest taking an excursion that leaves from the dock /doesn't require you to enter the city.  Or stay onboard and have the ship to yourself.  

Yes, that's why a backpack makes so much sense as a carry-on.  We're solidly Team Hands-Free.  A backpack is perfect for island stops too. 

Capris should be illegal.  They make tall, willowy models look short and stout, so what do they do to the rest of us?  

Whereas I much prefer dresses -- but you'll see plenty of ladies in both types of garb at dinner.  Neither is preferred over the other.  

Hi, I never bring tennis shoes and as for making capris/cropped pants illegal? That is what makes us all different........you can give your opinion and I can have a different one. 

I have not owned a dress in years.........I agree, there is a variety of clothing attire on every cruise.

7 hours ago, mammajamma2013 said:

Also what I do. I wear my tennis shoes on the plane and alternate between them and the sandals for on-board.

I wear my tennis shoes to board because they're my largest shoes and because they make it easier to walk up the gangplank.  Yes, I alternate between them and my walking sandals onboard.  

6 hours ago, 2806 said:

Thank you so much for all this information!!  You have all took away a lot of my stress.  
I am definitely open to any other informaton.

Glad it helped!  

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I never bring tennis shoes and as for making capris/cropped pants illegal? That is what makes us all different........you can give your opinion and I can have a different one. 

I bring either little white Keds or white Vans, both of which work well with casual dresses (like tee-dresses, for example).  

I stand by my opinion on capris.  

related topic. Question

We leave in 2 days, heading off to Gatwick airport. Fly to Rome Sunday, pick up cruise Monday. When should I think about starting to pack.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I always wear a blazer while travelling (so no need to pack it). —serves for any formal nights with good trousers, tie and dress shirt— also  the pockets are good for carrying travel documents.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

We leave in 2 days, heading off to Gatwick airport. Fly to Rome Sunday, pick up cruise Monday. When should I think about starting to pack.

Leaving in two days?  I'd already be packed!  

Years ago -- when I was still packing for the children as well as myself -- I instituted a rule:  If we leave on Saturday, the bags MUST be completely packed and ready by Wednesday evening.  That means that I never realize late Friday night that my favorite shorts have a rip (or need to go through the washer), or that I don't have any sunscreen.  I don't like last-minute emergencies.  

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I always wear a blazer while travelling (so no need to pack it). —serves for any formal nights with good trousers, tie and dress shirt— also  the pockets are good for carrying travel documents.

That is usually what my husband does for much the same reasons.

3 hours ago, DarrenM said:

related topic. Question

If marital bliss allowed, I would want to pack on Saturday.  🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

If marital bliss allowed, I would want to pack on Saturday.  🙂

If I get up at 8am I will have 4 hours to pack. Surely thats enough time for any self respecting guy?

Jeans Polo shirts socks and pants, and a pair of swimming shorts. Toothbrush toothpaste and razer. Deodorant. Sorted.

Wifes in charge of documents. I would lose them. And I dont carry money any more.

How hard can it be?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DarrenM said:

related topic. Question

Our dining table, which isn't used that much any more, has become our "staging area." So a few days ahead we'll start putting anything there that absolutely needs to go and we don't need it before then. Probably finish up around dinner time the night before we leave.

10 hours ago, DarrenM said:

My practice is to put "possible" garments (on hangers) on a portable clothing rack in the bedroom. Arrange by priority. The cats do not recognize this as packing as the rack is often out for laundry, etc.

One day before leaving home, get out the carry-on-sized suitcases. The cats are now onto the impending travel and can be expected to go psychotic or climb in the cases, or both. Pack spare shoes against the wheelie end; trousers in the base; and selected tops ON THE HANGERS on top of them (in groups of four, two each per bottoms). Tuck smalls around the corners. Lay a jacket or cardigan across the top; zip up.

Comfort kitties. Try to get some rest.

• Like 2

For longer trips I have a very scientific process:  

Step one - take clothing items from drawers & closet and put in suitcase.

Step two - repeat step 1 until drawers & closet are empty or luggage reaches 50 pounds.  

• Like 3

We've cruised a few lines, but tend to stick with Princess.  There's a self-serv laundromat on every deck so we're able to pack more lightly than with other lines.  I know laundry can be sent out, but I prefer to do my own.

In December, 14 days on Enchanted, we're aiming for just a carry-on (22"), plus a backpack that will fit under a plane seat, since we'll be flying to the port instead of driving.  Sister is on a 14-day transatlantic now, and they've done this method.  It seems to be working.

On 5/9/2024 at 11:58 AM, DarrenM said:

If I get up at 8am I will have 4 hours to pack. Surely thats enough time for any self respecting guy?

Too stressful for me.  Too late I'd discover that the hem on a dress I want to take needs a bit of tacking up, and something needs to go through the washing machine, and the sunscreen in the bathroom cabinet is almost empty.  

20 hours ago, clo said:

Our dining table, which isn't used that much any more, has become our "staging area." 

I do that too.  Everything I lay out on the table might not end up in the suitcase, but it's the starting place.  

• Like 2