Beyond - Pool chair rules? Everything full by 7am with no one to be seen. Is there an official policy?

Jezo

On 5/15/2024 at 4:51 PM, RK-NC said:

This was in Celebrity Today every day on our April cruise on Beyond. We didn't witness the mass chair hoggery that we had heard so much about (did see a very few scurrying about while on our early morning track walks) so wondered if there had maybe been a crackdown. I would take the Celebrity Today to guest services and ask why they are not following through.

IMG_20240420_205622143.jpg

Been on many cruises and this is a rule never enforced. LOL

I certainly wish it was though 🙂

• Like 1

I remember a Rodney Rowdy Piper movie “They Live”.  There were these sunglasses that when worn you could see aliens.  I liked to get a pair and see if there are really people at the pool chairs.  Or aliens!😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bEwAbG said:

Re: the buffet and empty tables.  I worked at a restaurant in my long-ago youth that had a line you went through to order/pay and then you went to find a table.  On busy days, people could not understand why we wouldn't let the whole family sit down to claim a table before their party went through the line.  If the seating is full, the people in front of you cannot clear the line.  I think ship's buffets should work the same.  First in, first out and don't let people camp out at tables if they're not eating.

What's even worse is when you run across several people playing cards or even a board game in the buffet when people are desperately trying to find seating.  That (in my opinion) is the height of being inconsiderate.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

What's even worse is when you run across several people playing cards or even a board game in the buffet when people are desperately trying to find seating.  That (in my opinion) is the height of being inconsiderate.

Oh man, that one really gets to my inner hot button.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fenton04 said:

I remember a Rodney Rowdy Piper movie “They Live”.  There were these sunglasses that when worn you could see aliens.  I liked to get a pair and see if there are really people at the pool chairs.  Or aliens!😄

Love that movie!

• Like 2

On every Celebrity cruise, I’ll wait the required 45 minutes then remove their belongings and give them to one of the pool attendants. When they return and ask where their belongings were, I tell them the pool attendant has them. I usually get a dirty look, but I just smile and wish them a good day.  One couple I did this to 3 times on the same cruise. They finally got the point. I hate entitled people. 

• Like 10

5 hours ago, IDL said:

Love that movie!

I often wonder if Arnold Swartzenegger instead of Ronnie Rowdy piper  starred in this film.  Maybe a academy award would have been awarded.  Better yet a remake with the Rock!

My DH and I have often said that we should get as many chairs as possible, holding those for people who actually want a chair to enjoy.  Maybe just a different twist, as to what is happening.  Would chair-hogs then turn one us?  Probably not because they would not even be there🤷‍♀️.

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 4:16 PM, Frenchkona said:

On every Celebrity cruise, I’ll wait the required 45 minutes then remove their belongings and give them to one of the pool attendants. When they return and ask where their belongings were, I tell them the pool attendant has them. I usually get a dirty look, but I just smile and wish them a good day.  One couple I did this to 3 times on the same cruise. They finally got the point. I hate entitled people. 

You shouldn't have to hang around for 45 minutes before being able to enjoy an unused chair.  There has to be a better way.   Chairs shouldn't sit unused while someone is elsewhere.  My recommendation, which is never received well, is to eliminate any chair saving once one leaves the pool area.   

In reality, the policy posted in a comment above says "no reserving" of chairs.  The 30 minute rule is about when something becomes lost & found.     

Edited by ldubs

We wait about 30 minutes (sometimes less) and just move the towels. 

Have had some salty looks from people when they return an hour later (if at all) but most are too meek to actually say anything. 

If anyone has an issue, we just say take it up with security and/or housekeeping. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, arealcheapskate said:

We wait about 30 minutes (sometimes less) and just move the towels. 

Have had some salty looks from people when they return an hour later (if at all) but most are too meek to actually say anything. 

If anyone has an issue, we just say take it up with security and/or housekeeping. 

I move the chairs a little if there is space and that kind of confuses them.  Most of the time they never appear so I don’t know when they were planning to use the chairs. We usually vacate the chairs when we go to lunch. We don’t try to save them for the afternoon. I did observe a huge screaming between two senior ladies on Century over chairs. The lady who reserved the chairs early showed up around noon…..

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

I'm up early and see it on every cruise...Sea days are obviously the worst...If I see 2 chairs together with a chair hog setup, and nobody around for 10 mins, that's it, game over...Best part is when they show up, often hrs later, and their stuff is moved...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2024 at 7:16 PM, Frenchkona said:

This is how I handle it also.  45 to an hour and then I remove stuff... especially if it's one flip flop or some such nonsense. I never feel guilty and yes I've gotten a few dirty looks or even a small argument which goes no where because chair hogs know they aren't supposed to hog chairs. I think it will get better but it needs to be a combined effort by crew and by passengers.  Passengers can't be afraid to offend.  The person in the wrong is the chair hog. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1