Tranquility gone in Beyond Solarium

On 5/30/2024 at 10:06 AM, MissyDot said:

Ok this why I rarely post on these forums because of the obnoxious troll always finding me 😞  thx to all others giving perspective .   I’m a long time celebrity sailer. The solarium has always been marketed as an adult only relaxation space part of the spa .  For this May cruise there’s been quite a difference FOR ME . Heavy drinking , drunk behaviors, it’s not pleasant Just wanted to ask if others see or feel the same.  Maybe this specific cruise has the big parties IDK

I sort of think of the Solarium as being a somewhat quiet place on Celebrity & RC.  Someplace where folks read books & snooze.  But Times have changed & I guess things on vacation are different for everyone. 

Well, as many of you know I am posting a live thread from Eclipse and have a story to tell.

I was in the Solarium this morning and since it is a sea day it was very crowded. They have these small laminated signs all over the place( between loungers) saying if you are gone more than 30 minutes your items may be removed. 

Well, I am laying down when all of sudden I hear a man's voice across the pool yelling at another guy. Everyone was looking at this guy and for a minute or 2 I thought there might be swings happening. In all my years of cruising I don't remember seeing this.....he was yelling at the guy saying he had been away from his stuff and so he moved it. They went back and forth and pool staff, security and officers were called. The guy kept yelling and pointing.....it was quite a scene!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2024 at 9:48 AM, Miaminice said:

People without the slightest trace of common sense or respect but with a giant feeling of entitlement - that’s what’s happening to Celebrity 🤷🏻

Is that what’s happening to Celebrity?  That’s what’s happening.  To the WORLD.  Celebrity or any other cruise line have nothing to do with it.

• Like 6

On 6/1/2024 at 6:35 PM, Lois R said:

Well, as many of you know I am posting a live thread from Eclipse and have a story to tell.

I was in the Solarium this morning and since it is a sea day it was very crowded. They have these small laminated signs all over the place( between loungers) saying if you are gone more than 30 minutes your items may be removed. 

Well, I am laying down when all of sudden I hear a man's voice across the pool yelling at another guy. Everyone was looking at this guy and for a minute or 2 I thought there might be swings happening. In all my years of cruising I don't remember seeing this.....he was yelling at the guy saying he had been away from his stuff and so he moved it. They went back and forth and pool staff, security and officers were called. The guy kept yelling and pointing.....it was quite a scene!

Yikes. Unreal.   Glad security officers got in quickly.   I wonder with today’s very polarized American society, this anger and rage is spreading all over the place in every human interaction.  There was a fight on Beyond cruise on pool deck, I heard from a few passengers.  Shoving match.  

2 minutes ago, MissyDot said:

Yikes. Unreal.   Glad security officers got in quickly.   I wonder with today’s very polarized American society, this anger and rage is spreading all over the place in every human interaction.  There was a fight on Beyond cruise on pool deck, I heard from a few passengers.  Shoving match.  

Different demographic than in the past..lots of  selfish ' it's all about  me me me"  people..Sad!  And ships are sailing  more crowded..

12 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Is that what’s happening to Celebrity?  That’s what’s happening.  To the WORLD.  Celebrity or any other cruise line have nothing to do with it.

Correct, but unfortunately you´ll meet this kind of behavior by guest on board Celebrity ships - like anywhere else 😉 

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

Different demographic than in the past..lots of  selfish ' it's all about  me me me"  people..Sad! .

Unfortunately an international problem 😞

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Correct, but unfortunately you´ll meet this kind of behavior by guest on board Celebrity ships - like anywhere else 😉 

My point was it's about an individual behavior of a guest that makes a wrong (and damaging) impression of a company (a cruise line in this case) serving such a guest.

Not in X, but we were on Indy (RCCL) last week. Five night. Never again. Ever. The solarium pool became a pee pool  Folks sitting in there for hours not getting up to use the facilities. I used the showers to cool offer. There were frat parties, HS grad, College Grads. I am all for having fun, but you could not even get into the pool if we wanted to.  I am going back to my 7+ nighters.  Also, I know I booked at the wrong time. My bad. That was on me.

We are going to try our first X this September and I am hoping this is not a new thing.

1 hour ago, cruisegal40 said:

Not in X, but we were on Indy (RCCL) last week. Five night. Never again. Ever. The solarium pool became a pee pool  Folks sitting in there for hours not getting up to use the facilities. I used the showers to cool offer. There were frat parties, HS grad, College Grads. I am all for having fun, but you could not even get into the pool if we wanted to.  I am going back to my 7+ nighters.  Also, I know I booked at the wrong time. My bad. That was on me.

We are going to try our first X this September and I am hoping this is not a new thing.

Yeah, pretty much a holiday weekend cruise..you said it, you knew better.  

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 11:28 AM, Miaminice said:

yes you could! And no, you don’t have to buy them… we actually received lapel pins when we cruised with Royal many years ago. 
Want some? Ours are still in mint condition. We never wore them 🤣

Mine are all in a junk drawer along with other items that I think I will use or need one day. 😄 

Edited by shandryl

On 6/4/2024 at 8:54 AM, kirtihk said:

My point was it's about an individual behavior of a guest that makes a wrong (and damaging) impression of a company (a cruise line in this case) serving such a guest.

yeah, it's kinda Carnival-ish 😄

24 minutes ago, shandryl said:

yeah, it's kinda Carnival-ish 😄

There is a silver line between irony and sarcasm, and staying under that line toward the former is a virtue.

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

There is a silver line between irony and sarcasm, and staying under that line toward the former is a virtue.

Agree! but carnival-ish type of activities are also a time of public enjoyment and entertainment. At times often can be found anywhere including in a place of sanctuary. 😄

Hm- small wonder- X- ships as beautyful as they are,  had and have a tendency over last decade or so- to drift more and more in line of Partyboats- and yes- canrival´ish- told in harsh words- but nevertheles true - might be the right word.

When a cruise line  no longer fullfills one´s wishes and expectations it is time to move on. Personaly I switched to Cunard- with occasionally coming back to my once favorite cruise line- X!

• Like 2

On 6/4/2024 at 7:54 AM, kirtihk said:

Not much enforcement of any rules by Celebrity.  It would be more of a premium or luxury experience if they did.

On 6/1/2024 at 2:29 PM, zitsky said:

It’s crazy during family time.  On the Eclipse in South America the pool was filled with kids entirely and it was unusable.  Plus I think one of them might have splashed me.  😭

The Solarium has family time?  

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, mickeysgal said:

The Solarium has family time?  

Sometimes... it sort of depends on the weather and access to outdoor pools.  Usually around 1600 to 1800; Solarium seldom in great demand on part of adult cruisers who have hied off to bars, dining room or bed.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, shandryl said:

Agree! but carnival-ish type of activities are also a time of public enjoyment and entertainment. At times often can be found anywhere including in a place of sanctuary. 😄

Absolutely, and that brings another silver lining to explore - creating annoyance against enjoinment.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

Not much enforcement of any rules by Celebrity.  It would be more of a premium or luxury experience if they did.

Educate me NMT as we have only ever sailed Celebrity, do other lines enforce their rules strictly? I understand why Celebrity staff don’t, they don’t want to upset customers and be given negative feedback, and for that reason I would imagine other lines are similar. And have you thought about laying most of the blame on the passengers who break the rules rather than blame Celebrity (which I know is a favourite pastime of yours)😜

Edited by C4HCG

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

Cruise lines don't do that to avoid as much as possible a mass negativity vs an individual inconvenience on certain occasions.

Edited by kirtihk

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Educate me NMT as we have only ever sailed Celebrity, do other lines enforce their rules strictly? I understand why Celebrity staff don’t, they don’t want to upset customers and be given negative feedback, and for that reason I would imagine other lines are similar. And have you thought about laying most of the blame on the passengers who break the rules rather than blame Celebrity (which I know is a favourite pastime of yours)😜

We are in agreement (a few minutes apart) - see my post # 98

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Sometimes... it sort of depends on the weather and access to outdoor pools.  Usually around 1600 to 1800; Solarium seldom in great demand on part of adult cruisers who have hied off to bars, dining room or bed.

I know you’re just explaining to the poster but I find it confusing when people say “family time…. Because no one goes to the Solarium at 4pm.”  Well maybe I’ve been there since 2 pm and I want to stay there until 6pm to get ready for dinner.  Reading my book and listening to Opera like everyone should and relaxing.

On Eclipse as I said 1) pool was full with children and 2) families were hogging hot tubs and actively discouraging adults from getting in and sharing the space.

Translation, I wasn’t wanted and they hurt my feelings.

• Like 1