Just completed on line check and it says 2pm???

Does anyone know if we arrive at 11 am will be sitting there waiting to check in until 2pm? Been on several other cruises and was never given a "check in time." We have to be out our hotel by 11am. Thanks! Amy

20 minutes ago, amio111 said:

Does anyone know if we arrive at 11 am will be sitting there waiting to check in until 2pm? Been on several other cruises and was never given a "check in time." We have to be out our hotel by 11am. Thanks! Amy

Where are you sailing out of?  Personally, I’d ask for late check out of your hotel.  Maybe push it a bit and get there at 1:30

1 hour ago, amio111 said:

Does anyone know if we arrive at 11 am will be sitting there waiting to check in until 2pm?

Do your edocs indicate check in time or arrival time?  Most ports don't check for valid arrival times.

2pm is usually the general all onboard time for a 4pm departure . you need to be on the ship before 2pm

the check in time is never enforced, no one checks it

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, amio111 said:

Online Check-in and selection of arrival times opens exactly 21 days prior to your departure, 12 midnight US Eastern Time. Those who wanted early arrival times did their online check-in at midnight. You have waited too long which has resulted in a very late arrival time for you. 

If you are on a big ship, your entertainment reservations also opened 21 days prior to departure. 

You are probably o.k. showing up at 11 am. No problems. 

That being said, you find a minimum wage "boy scout" personnel at your departure port who wants to show everyone how much power they have and try to enforce the arrival time.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

That being said, you find a minimum wage "boy scout" personnel at your departure port who wants to show everyone how much power they have and try to enforce the arrival time.

What are you talking about?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

What are you talking about?

I think they mean that although check in times are rarely enforced, every so often an employee will enforce them.  I wouldn't necessarily describe such an employee as a Boy Scout on a power trip - if lots of passengers all arrive at the same time, it would be reasonable for a cruise line to prioritize passengers who have shown up at their check in time and ask the others to wait.  The OP will probably be fine arriving early, but there's no guarantee since all cruise lines have the right to enforce check in times (but past experiences indicate they are highly unlikely to enforce check in times if there are no lines and are unlikely to do so even if there are lines).  The OP absolutely should try to get a later check out time at the hotel, or go for a late breakfast but if that isn't an option they can go early as long as they are prepared to politely accept being told to wait if check in times are enforced.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 2

OP is sailing mid month on the Breakaway, out of Miami terminal  ... Jun 16 — Jun 23 2024 - 7 nights Caribbean: Great Stirrup Cay & Dominican Republic  

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

I wouldn't necessarily describe such an employee as a Boy Scout on a power trip

Yeah, that's it.  Some folks think that a working person making minimum wage and just trying to do their job is somebody to look down on.  Fortunately, the vast majority of people in this world (and on this forum) are better than that.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Online Check-in and selection of arrival times opens exactly 21 days prior to your departure, 12 midnight US Eastern Time. Those who wanted early arrival times did their online check-in at midnight. You have waited too long which has resulted in a very late arrival time for you. 

If you are on a big ship, your entertainment reservations also opened 21 days prior to departure. 

You are probably o.k. showing up at 11 am. No problems. 

Have a great cruise!

What is this “Boy Scout” that you mention?

Edited by zqvol

dont worry about it, they rarely (if ever ) check your boarding docs for the check in time. consider also, the earlier you check in and get on the ship, the longer you will have to wait until your cabin is ready. if by any chance, however, you are platinum or above, or staying in a suite or haven suite, you get priority check in regardless of what  your docs may say.

54 minutes ago, complawyer said:

consider also, the earlier you check in and get on the ship, the longer you will have to wait until your cabin is ready.

I'm fine as long as the cabin is ready at bedtime (around midnight).

55 minutes ago, complawyer said:

if by any chance, however, you are platinum or above, or staying in a suite or haven suite, you get priority check in regardless of what  your docs may say.

You're confusing (port) arrival time with boarding time.  There is no such thing as "check in time."  Arrival time is what is assigned at on-line check-in and appears on your eDocs.  Boarding time is where suite or latitudes status applies.

10 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

I think they mean that although check in times are rarely enforced, every so often an employee will enforce them.  I wouldn't necessarily describe such an employee as a Boy Scout on a power trip - if lots of passengers all arrive at the same time, it would be reasonable for a cruise line to prioritize passengers who have shown up at their check in time and ask the others to wait.  The OP will probably be fine arriving early, but there's no guarantee since all cruise lines have the right to enforce check in times (but past experiences indicate they are highly unlikely to enforce check in times if there are no lines and are unlikely to do so even if there are lines).  The OP absolutely should try to get a later check out time at the hotel, or go for a late breakfast but if that isn't an option they can go early as long as they are prepared to politely accept being told to wait if check in times are enforced.

Minor point.  The terminal is staffed by the port, not the cruise line.  If the terminal decides there is too many people inside the terminal, the terminal/port can deny entry.  The cruise line has nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mking8288 said:

OP is sailing mid month on the Breakaway, out of Miami terminal  ... Jun 16 — Jun 23 2024 - 7 nights Caribbean: Great Stirrup Cay & Dominican Republic  

I'm so glad someone is cataloging what cruises other CC members are on... 🤪

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, mking8288 said:

What's their confirmation number? 😆  Too soon?

• Haha 6

16 hours ago, mking8288 said:

And the purpose of this post is????????

3 hours ago, zqvol said:

And the purpose of this post is????????

I'm guessing to tell us which port, ship and timeframe so as to help us answer the OP's question?  Arrival time enforcement may vary widely based upon those factors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/4/2024 at 12:23 AM, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm fine as long as the cabin is ready at bedtime (around midnight).

I'm fine as long as the bar is open and there is a restroom close by.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

It's weird how various rules need to be enforced while others are encouraged to be ignored. Sharing drinks vs clogging up the cruise terminal because you can't wait for your appointment time to arrive.

3 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

It's weird how various rules need to be enforced while others are encouraged to be ignored. Sharing drinks vs clogging up the cruise terminal because you can't wait for your appointment time to arrive.

Well, sharing drinks with someone not on a drink package is stealing.

Checking in before your "assigned" time is being impatient.

I don't see how these things are equivalent. Again, maybe it's just me...it usually is.

On a transatlantic on Prima out of NYC in April people took the popular advice to show up whenever you want despite warnings from NCL that the ship would arrive late and NO ONE could check-in before 11am. So what happened - everyone showed up at 11am. The most commonly expressed comment/complaint after the cruise was how terrible boarding was. Basically, if people show up whenever its convenient for them it may be inconvenient for EVERYONE. The attempts to stagger arrival really should be enforced if check-in is to run smoothly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, herbanrenewal said:

The attempts to stagger arrival really should be enforced if check-in is to run smoothly.

Not really. I've always arrived whenever I wish, regardless of my scheduled arrival time, and have always had a smooth check-in.

This was all implemented when social distancing was still a thing. It's no longer necessary.