"Bribing" Maitre d' to get better table/waiter

stan01

9 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

But yes... Cunard at sea is nominally British. British Merchant Navy customs prevail right down to flying the Red Ensign on Sundays and I can cringe at "Hamilton" on the stern and being able to still even fly it... but...   

And what is wrong with Hamilton, pray tell?

Bermuda is Britain's oldest colony with a long and proud maritime tradition.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

and I have heard plenty of British accents, over the years, removing service charge/grats. from their account.

I guess whilst the option is there to remove, there will always be those that will.

Personally I don't worry about anyone else, there may of course be legitimate reasons to remove or lots of people still prefer to tip individually, either way it's not my worry.

6 minutes ago, S1971 said:

I guess whilst the option is there to remove, there will always be those that will.

Personally I don't worry about anyone else, there may of course be legitimate reasons to remove or lots of people still prefer to tip individually, either way it's not my worry.

Nothing to do with me either as I think you will know if you have read my contributions to previous threads but one comment slightly implied British passengers aren't part of service charge removal.

Most nationalities will have their share of those who remove and it is entirely personal and no aspersions should be levied at any one, never mind any particular nationality.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Nothing to do with me either as I think you will know if you have read my contributions to previous threads but one comment slightly implied British passengers aren't part of service charge removal.

Most nationalities will have their share of those who remove and it is entirely personal and no aspersions should be levied at any one, never mind any particular nationality.

Apologies, my post wasn't specifically about yourself, I just used your quote to link into my thoughts it was just a general observation on my part.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 6:33 AM, NE John said:

As an American, I think it’s tacky to wave a wad of cash to bribe a M’d. I see “big shots” in NYC steakhouses do that and I just roll my eyes. 
I’d be very glad to give an extra tip at the end; the staff work very hard. 

It’s my 60th bday in QG next week so maybe I’ll get a good table based on that. 

Our warmest wishes for a very happy special birthday in the coming days.  Mario turned 80 (neither of us can believe it) during our very recent QA voyage in QG.  We had not requested a cake, and thought we were safely under the radar.  Cunard obviously noted the date in his passport, and the message must have been passed along.  We were totally surprised with an exquisite cake, carried to our table by singing waiters.  We were actually delighted, and truly grateful for this generous gesture.  We enjoyed a wonderful window table in QG, whether that was because of the magic passport date, or our Q3, I’m unsure, but our QG experience was nothing short of exceptional.  We know your coming voyage will be equally enjoyable.  Happy birthday again, @NE John.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Actually... no. It not the custom to fly the ensign at sea except on Sundays.Only in port or leaving port.

Sorry, but we are in agreement. As you say, they fly the red ensign when in port, all days of the week, not just Sundays.

5 hours ago, jollyjones said:

And what is wrong with Hamilton, pray tell?

Bermuda is Britain's oldest colony with a long and proud maritime tradition.

There is a Hamilton in Ontario, about 50 km west of where I live.  One time in Halifax (the one in Canada, of course) I was chatting with fellow Canadians who were perplexed with "Hamilton" on the stern and lifeboats. There is a Southampton in Ontario, but that never caused any confusion when it was on the stern - the same with London on P&O's lovely Canberra.

• Like 1

Just to clarify as I feel perhaps my viewpoint is not clear.

If I should need to change my table, and it rarely happens, I am in no way looking for a MD to take away someone else’s table to give to me, gratuity or not.

I’m looking for a better seat that has been held back for whatever reason or never previously assigned, etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Just to clarify as I feel perhaps my viewpoint is not clear.

If I should need to change my table, and it rarely happens, I am in no way looking for a MD to take away someone else’s table to give to me, gratuity or not.

I’m looking for a better seat that has been held back for whatever reason or never previously assigned, etc.

I asked for a change on my recent cruise on QA because most of the people at the table (PG) for 8 arrived later than I did, and I don't like to eat late. I asked if I could be moved to a table where people arrived earlier. I know I didn't displace anyone because when I was shown to my new table for 6, one of the people there said "Ah, now we have a complete table." 

It would be interesting to know how much spare seating there is in the grills restaurants. There did seem to be a fair number of empty seats in PG. One couple were at a table for 6 and it was never set for more than the two of them. Nobody took my place at the table for 8. And I saw other tables not occupied, even on nights when we lingered, chatting, after finishing our dinner. 

• Like 2

On 6/14/2024 at 3:38 PM, stan01 said:

Hypothetically speaking, a first time Cunard cruiser in QG Q5 on QM2 wants a cherished window table.

Do they:
1) ask nicely

2) slip 20 or 50 to matire' d and get table

3) ask and get told "so sorry,  those go to people who paid more and who have been on many cruises"

4) know their place and accept that these aren't for them

I  would say ask nicely while dressed in your best We do fit the image" without any airs attireand then go with whatever is allocated. 

• Like 2

On 6/15/2024 at 5:53 AM, LouChamp said:

Aloha. Born and raised in Manhattan and blessed to cruise since 1971.  I respect everyone has different opinions and also opinions formed based on where they live, etc.  Having done business in NY and Las Vegas I can tell you that tipping is the norm to get the best tables, service, shows, rooms and the list goes on and on. That is the reality. I do not always agree that it should be the norm but unfortunately that is the way the world works.  I have had my choice of table locations, waiters, parking lots suddenly have a space available, front row seats, etc.  I'm not bragging but it is naive to believe that it is not the way the wheels turn. I also agree that in some cultures and countries that is not the way it works so I am also respectful of where I am and who I am encountering.  

Give the lower level of attire most foks seem to enjoy these days, I find dressing a few notches above the norm gets me a better table, better service and on my travels better attention to luggage etc. And it costs nothing more than the usual tip. No bribbing just a little satorial effort.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I asked for a change on my recent cruise on QA because most of the people at the table (PG) for 8 arrived later than I did, and I don't like to eat late. I asked if I could be moved to a table where people arrived earlier. I know I didn't displace anyone because when I was shown to my new table for 6, one of the people there said "Ah, now we have a complete table." 

It would be interesting to know how much spare seating there is in the grills restaurants. There did seem to be a fair number of empty seats in PG. One couple were at a table for 6 and it was never set for more than the two of them. Nobody took my place at the table for 8. And I saw other tables not occupied, even on nights when we lingered, chatting, after finishing our dinner. 

Kathy, wherever you are seated would be a lucky table.  Really enjoyed the M&M you so superbly organised, and our chats whilst aboard QA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

That post is not worthy of dignifying with a reply, imho.  We are Australian.  We probably speak with "the accent" sneeringly referred to, although I am frequently mistaken for English.  We have never requested gratuities be removed from our account, and we show our appreciation with a discreet envelope to each of the wonderful staff who have cared for us.  Our Australian friends and acquaintances who cruise, and with whom we've discussed this topic, do the same.  The poster has a history of denigrating Australians on other thread, but once received such a backlash that I thought they had sensibly moved on.  The problem is theirs.

• Like 5

The perception of Rodney Dangerfrield in Caddyshack hitting the country club stuffing dollars in every staff member while flatulating “somebody step on a duck?”

Then dancing with the captains wife, “honey, you were probably something before electricity!”

Bring my plaid salesman coat and beat you stiffies to the m’d at 12:40 and pass a  c-note for my table pick. 

Yeah, that one looks good!

How’d that pauper get that one?

10 hours ago, JoeMammy said:

The perception of Rodney Dangerfrield in Caddyshack hitting the country club stuffing dollars in every staff member while flatulating “somebody step on a duck?”

Then dancing with the captains wife, “honey, you were probably something before electricity!”

Bring my plaid salesman coat and beat you stiffies to the m’d at 12:40 and pass a  c-note for my table pick. 

When will you be onboard next, please?

On 6/16/2024 at 2:49 AM, LouChamp said:

Aloha. I agree with the posts that disdain the brazen in your face. I am embarrassed by my fellow NY and USA travelers who are so open and notorious with their attitudes. I shrug even when in NY lol. As I posted I am low key and get the job done when necessary but with respect for everyone and in many instances I don’t care where we sit stand etc but use total discretion. Case in point I have a handicap permit due to a tumor on my spine which was removed a few years ago. I am blessed to be able to walk but if a parking spot is available near to an entrance I will not take the handicap spot. I use this as an example as I like to stay under the radar but unfortunately there are times where a gratuity will serve the purpose when done discreetly, with respect and not in the face of others.  All regards for smooth sailing. 

I am fascinated by this. Can you give an explicit example?

14 hours ago, Mareblu said:

That post is not worthy of dignifying with a reply, imho.  We are Australian.  We probably speak with "the accent" sneeringly referred to...

You beat me to it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruisin'allovertheworld said:

I am fascinated by this. Can you give an explicit example?

You beat me to it!

Aloha I guess if I have to provide an example…

19 hours ago, JoeMammy said:

Are you going to Alaska anytime soon? Another FL man but I hope you are behind me at the QG first lunch. I'll look for your jacket.

Posted (edited)

In reply to the original question……

We were advised by regular Cunard cruisers to give the MD some $$ when we first boarded to ensure a decent table.

We do like to sit on our own and don’t care where it is, just don’t like being too close to anyone.

On entering Queens Grill for luncheon last year, I gave the MD some $$ for a quiet table as advised by our Cunard friends. He promised to sort it out for us and, my goodness, it was money well spent.

Our original table was very, very close to another table with a couple on it. There was about 6 inches between the tables. He was charming, she was not.

That evening our table was in a different location, not by the window but right at the back overlooking the entire restaurant. Bliss. 

The staff were amazing, MD charming and meals spectacular.

It would have been a horrible voyage if we’d been frowned upon by our previous neighbour every mealtime.

We’ve got PG booked on QA in a few months time, QG on QM2 next year and will do the same on these ships too.

No doubt people will berate me for this but to be honest, seeing the bad behaviour by some entitled passengers, I don’t think that giving the staff a few extra $$ is really that bad.

Edited by swjumbo
Grammar

And what makes you think this would have happened if you had merely asked courteously? Lots of people change tables after the first lunch, including ourselves, and there is no difficulty, unless you want window tables. 

• Like 4

It's so interesting to see all the experiences being posted by other CC'ers (passengers)

related to obtaining a table they will be comfortable at for 4-7-9-11-etc... days sailing. 

As possibly mentioned in the past, we give our preference on booking.

Luckily we get the table and location we request practically each time. Is it restaurant, Diamond Level, decades of sailing or sheer lucky.

If there is a question once on board, we cordially address on it to the M'd and within a meal our request is happily considered.

So patience, courtesy and cordial approach is the prescription to approaching this subject.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

And what makes you think this would have happened if you had merely asked courteously? Lots of people change tables after the first lunch, including ourselves, and there is no difficulty, unless you want window tables. 

Sorry a not seems to have gone astray in the above.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, swjumbo said:

No doubt people will berate me for this but to be honest, seeing the bad behaviour by some entitled passengers, I don’t think that giving the staff a few extra $$ is really that bad.

I am totally certain, particularly in QG, that had you simply asked the maître d' for another table then you would have got one that would have suited you better than the first one. There are no shortage of two top tables, though throughout the ship some of the two tops are a bit close together. No money needed, or even a reason given, a please and thank you would be all that was needed. As it happens, if you did explain the reason then it would have been handled even more sensitively.

So in my opinion it would have been better to first check the table before the first evening meal, then, if unhappy after the first meal, having a quiet words as you leave. The next day you would have been fine. Now if you were much happier at that point, then a gentle tip at the end of the sailing may be in order, but actually not at all necessary.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 6