Refund or voucher for future cruise due to cancellation's of Carnival cruise due to sudden illness

flew to Miami the evening of June 29 to board Carnival Celebration on the 30th. Early in morning of 30th in my hotel room I woke up and started vomiting and had chills and fever. I felt terrible, so I called Carnival customer service, and a nice lady told me to go to urgent care and then email Carnival the medical records, and maybe they would either refund the cost of my cruise, or issue a voucher for a future cruise. I went to urgent care and was diagnosed with a gastrointestinal viral illness. I stayed in Miami in a hotel for 3 additional nights, before I felt like flying back home. I submitted the medical records to Carnival and they offered me nothing! I was shocked as I have been on past Carnival cruises. I could have tried taking Tylenol and getting on the ship anyway, but I knew I was contagious, and wanted to be a good citizen and not make other passengers sick, as GI viruses often spread rapidly on a cruise ship. I am so disappointed in Carnival as I thought they would at least issue some type of voucher for a future cruise. I doubt I will ever set foot on another Carnival cruise ship in the future.

• Haha 8

did you have cruise insurance?   I'm not sure how this could be Carnivals responsibility to reimburse you - they bought supplies for the number of guests booked on that particular cruise and the fact that you didn't show up does not mean they didn't still have the expense.

cruise insurance is there for this very reason - for unexpected events that cause you to be unable to travel.

but know this - everyone who was on that ship is grateful to you for not "taking tylenol" and boarding anyways and spreading your illness to others on board.  Your actions likely saved the vacations of others, so WELL DONE there!   You absolutely did the right thing, even if you disagree.  (you likely wouldn't have enjoyed yourself on the ship anyways!)

• Like 20

We had a similar situation in 2019.  We were in the hotel the night before our cruise, and my adult daughter developed flu-like symptoms (chills, aches, fever).  We went to an Urgent Care facility the next morning, and the diagnosis was Influenza B.  We had cruise insurance (through Carnival), so I called my PVP and everything was taken care of. I submitted the Urgent Care report, and we rebooked a cruise for 3 weeks later. The process was exceptionally smooth, since we had the insurance. I will never cruise without it!

• Like 15

28 minutes ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

flew to Miami the evening of June 29 to board Carnival Celebration on the 30th. Early in morning of 30th in my hotel room I woke up and started vomiting and had chills and fever. I felt terrible, so I called Carnival customer service, and a nice lady told me to go to urgent care and then email Carnival the medical records, and maybe they would either refund the cost of my cruise, or issue a voucher for a future cruise. I went to urgent care and was diagnosed with a gastrointestinal viral illness. I stayed in Miami in a hotel for 3 additional nights, before I felt like flying back home. I submitted the medical records to Carnival and they offered me nothing! I was shocked as I have been on past Carnival cruises. I could have tried taking Tylenol and getting on the ship anyway, but I knew I was contagious, and wanted to be a good citizen and not make other passengers sick, as GI viruses often spread rapidly on a cruise ship. I am so disappointed in Carnival as I thought they would at least issue some type of voucher for a future cruise. I doubt I will ever set foot on another Carnival cruise ship in the future.

Not Carnival's fault or responsibility.

You should have had travel insurance to cover this sort of thing.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure why someone on Carnival's customer service line would have led you to believe you were owed anything from Carnival. It's not their fault you got sick.

If you book a cruise with a different line in the future you'll find their policies regarding sudden last minute cancellations are exactly the same.

Purchase travel insurance or roll the dice. Good luck.

• Like 11

Not to harp on the travel insurance thing, but if Carnival offered refunds anytime you have record of a medical issue, there would be no need for anyone to buy travel insurance. This is the primary reason it is offered.

• Like 11

Posted (edited)

The key word you mentioned was the rep said "Maybe ". Which is true, you can always try but the answer 99% of the time is no refund of any kind if you do not have insurance. Travel insurance is important.  A helpful tip, if you used your credit card to pay for the cruise, see if you have automatic travel insurance with your card. Many do. They may assist you. I'm sorry this happened but it is in the cruise contract no refunds regardless of the reason for canceling after the cut off time frame. Each cruiseline pretty much have the same policy so it's not just a Carnival thing.

Edited by starstruck05
  • Like 9

33 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I am not sure why someone on Carnival's customer service line would have led you to believe you were owed anything from Carnival.

Presumably because had customer service told the OP the truth they feared the OP would have then gotten on the ship sick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Presumably because had customer service told the OP the truth they feared the OP would have then gotten on the ship sick.

Yeah that makes sense, that white lie possibly prevented that voyage from appearing on the evening news.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Upset Carnival Customer said:

This doesnt make sense as in this day and age no cruiseline would give your a refund or future credit. Too bad you didnt get it in writing as it wouldnt happen. It just doesnt happen. They dont give refunds or future credits if you cant board. I'm sorry you had a misunderstanding with whomever you spoke with. I've missed 2 cruises in the last 2 years and ate the cost. Believe me if there was a way my TA would have heard about it. 

I've said that more than once about carnival. I was on conquest during Ike and pretty upset how they dumped us in new orleans. I had 2 hc adults with me I had to get back to dallas and carnival gave us all 1 call. Great except the other 2 werent able to call. Anyway ... twice I've been very mad how carnival handled issues. Swore never again .. and yet I came back. Never say never. But it's not a top cruiseline for me ... I'm wary. I know in bad situations carnival doesnt do well. 

So you weren't responsible enough to protect the financial cost of your vacation by purchasing travel insurance and are upset that Carnival didn't bail you out?  The fact that you won't return to Carnivao over that says more about your character than it does about Carnival.  

The customer service agent was correct, Carnival MIGHT offer a token FCC, but they are not required too.  

There is a reason that Carnival offers travel insurance, but YOU CHOSE not to take it.  That is 100% on you.

• Like 5

This is why I always buy travel insurance. Life happens and you just never know. I’m not willing to self insure so I spend the money on insurance. Do I like it, no but again, I’m not willing to take the chance.

Its actually kind of a slap in the face to those that do purchase insurance just to have the cruise line cover someone whether that be refund or fcc who didn’t want to shell out the money to get it. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

My guess is we won't be hearing from OP again. They stopped by to rant and had no intention in actually being held accountable.

Exactly! Especially based on their very direct screen name they made.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Pyxie said:

Not to harp on the travel insurance thing, but if Carnival offered refunds anytime you have record of a medical issue, there would be no need for anyone to buy travel insurance. This is the primary reason it is offered.

Actually - all cancellations put together (not just due to illness) only account for about 25% of travel insurance claims.

Trip Cancellation: 25%

Emergency Medical: 24% 

Travel Delay: 14%

Trip Interruption: 13%

Missed Connection: 9%

Cancel For Any Reason: 6%

Baggage Loss: 5%

Baggage Delay: 4%

Medical Evacuation: <1%

17 hours ago, starstruck05 said:

Each cruiseline pretty much have the same policy so it's not just a Carnival thing.

Apparently Disney does have an exception for COVID:

"Now, should a member of your party test positive for COVID-19 within 10 days of your sail date, you can apply your cruise fare toward a future sail date or receive a refund in your original form of payment without Disney-imposed cancellation fees."

14 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

So you weren't responsible enough to protect the financial cost of your vacation by purchasing travel insurance and are upset that Carnival didn't bail you out?  The fact that you won't return to Carnivao over that says more about your character than it does about Carnival.  

The customer service agent was correct, Carnival MIGHT offer a token FCC, but they are not required too.  

There is a reason that Carnival offers travel insurance, but YOU CHOSE not to take it.  That is 100% on you.

Eh... giving refunds in this situation isn't about the sick person, just like jobs giving sick time isn't about the sick person - it's about protecting everyone else.

8 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Apparently Disney does have an exception for COVID:

"Now, should a member of your party test positive for COVID-19 within 10 days of your sail date, you can apply your cruise fare toward a future sail date or receive a refund in your original form of payment without Disney-imposed cancellation fees."

The text you quoted does not appear on the link you shared.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mz-s said:

There are plenty of reasons to take out travel insurance, not just trip cancellation.

Absolutely.

I was just pointing out that trip cancellation due to illness is not the "primary" reason as the post I was responding to claimed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aborgman said:

I didn't share a link - there was one embedded in the quote. The quote is from:

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/question/happens-sick-cannot-attend-cruise-eligible-refund-putting-538601/

Hmm, I wonder if that is still in effect - that post is over a year old, and a lot can change in that timeframe. Would be nice to find a source from DCL's actual policies and procedures, not their Q&A's.

• Like 2