Should HAL go paperless?

bepsf

I am sure the time is coming and probably sooner than we think. Like Princess they will still send us a packet that has information and excursions so that in a way will be our Documents that we can Doc Dance to. If anyone has done their immigration form on line recently you can see where this is getting set for it. Since we already fly and do amny other things by e-tickets why not our cruise.

HAL will go the e-ticket route like all other passenger carriers. If done right however, they could maintain some semblence of the anticipation and fun that currently exists when the docs arrive. How about an e-mail with appropriate music ( Rasposdy in Blue?),animation and cyberfetti.

That's all we got for our Celebrity cruise in 2005 and, quite frankly, after the initial shock of being told all we'd get is e-docs it actually worked out quite well. Since we both work and getting deliveries by UPS/DHL/FedEx can sometimes be problematic I actually welcomed the email notification that our documents were ready for downloading and printing. The other advantage was that Celebrity was so automated that we actually didn't need most of the stuff we downloaded anyhow. Got to the terminal, showed our ID's, and they had pulled up our reservation before we could even show them our documents so we could have easily gotten by without them. Sure, it was nice to have them in hand and I guess I could "gee whiz" a set of circumstances where the documents could come in handy but then I can't remember the last time I had a real plane ticket and somehow I seem to have gotten on all my flights. Understand that not all folks have access to computers/printers and I'd assume their TA's would assist in printing out the necessary documents for those who really want paper in hand.

It probably is only a matter of time. I am glad I booked with them and have a cruise soon so I have my set of souvenir pleather doc envelopes :D Could always print out e-docs and carry them in my doc cases... I wonder how many doc cases will then show up on eBay? ;)

I will play devils advocate here and take the position that based on my limited knowledge of HAL, but on the number of incidents reported here where HAL computer systems were apparently faulty, I would not want E-docs.

Randyk47 wrote that

The other advantage was that Celebrity was so automated that we actually didn't need most of the stuff we downloaded anyhow. Got to the terminal, showed our ID's, and they had pulled up our reservation before we could even show them our documents so we could have easily gotten by without them.

For customer comfort level, there is an assumption that HAL would have their systems in tiptop shape to handle this type of activity. If not, the margin for error increases. There is an expected level of service from HAL, just ask any apologists on this board. If that level of service for E-docs was not up to a level of “excellence” I feel that HAL would be jeopardizing their customer base. I am not saying that HAL will not pursue this format, I am just expressing my opinion that if they rush into it without testing the system and making it as bug free as possible, there will be issues.

An original hard copy in hand is worth a multitude in cyberspace! :)

just my 2 cents....

Hi, We're all sitting at a computer viewing a website.

It's the people that don't have computers that would probably not like e docs if the system put in place is not all inclusive.

I think businesses often over look the large group of consumers that do not have cell phones and computers.

I'm sure some system could be put in place but paperless will probably be a misnomer. Maybe just less paper....

I think I like having a piece of paper for something that cost thousands of dollars and that is time sensitive once you are on the road away from your computer. And I own a business and do not deal paperless with the IRS, yuk it's hard to keep them straight as it is.:)

I'm imagine paperless docs are coming to HAL but it won't make me happy. So What. I'll deal with it but not like it. I still refuse to complete the Immigration Form on Line. I fill in the paper form we receive with our documents.

I don't pay bills on line; I don't do my banking on line; I have never entered any bank account number on the internet, not our Social Security Numbers.......Nothing.

When I got a new computer a few months ago, no worry with me discarding the old hard drive. Nothing on it anyone could want.

The only credit card I use on line I got specifically with a very low credit limit. If someone steals that number, good luck to them. They won't get very far.

It's the people that don't have computers that would probably not like e docs if the system put in place is not all inclusive.

I think businesses often over look the large group of consumers that do not have cell phones and computers.

I'm sure some system could be put in place but paperless will probably be a misnomer. Maybe just less paper....:)

I thought about folks in that situation - like my Uncle and Aunt who don't even have a computer for e-mail! (Imagine - talking on the phone? Sending a letter?)

I predict TA's will fill in the gaps and print/mail the necessary documents for folks like this.

I'd miss my actual printed documents, but wouldn't necessarily mind the change.

I love being able to check in for my flights with Air Canada on-line, and print my own tickets, and I'd love to see that extended to cruising, if it's executed properly. The benefit for checking in online for your flights: no standing in those horrific lineups. Instead, you go straight to security. There'd have to be some incentive for the passengers to want to do that.

Initially, I think passengers should be given the option when they book: would you like paper tickets or e-docs?

We already, in effect, have e-docs. When you fill out the immigration form online (never a problem with it, Sail ;) ) you print out an express boarding pass. That plus the charge card form and passports to swipe are all that's needed. They pulled the ticket out of the document booklet, but I think that's an unnecessary formality. If they can save a few dollars by doing this, I'd rather they save in the paper and distribution costs than to cut back onboard amenities.

Should and do you want are two different things. Theoretically I think HAL should and would eventually considering the way the travel industry is moving. Its only a matter of time. Personally, I'll miss the paper documents as they look so official and give everything the feeling you are special and about to embark on a journey. There's no excitement in not receiving documents in your mailbox. The email dance is just not the same.

David

We already, in effect, have e-docs. When you fill out the immigration form online (never a problem with it, Sail ;) ) you print out an express boarding pass. That plus the charge card form and passports to swipe are all that's needed. They pulled the ticket out of the document booklet, but I think that's an unnecessary formality. If they can save a few dollars by doing this, I'd rather they save in the paper and distribution costs than to cut back onboard amenities.

Now there is an assumption that the "profit " motive will not rear its ugly head!

;)

I would cherish the idea that the corporation would maintain any perceived savings as a method to forgo deleting any current amenities…. But the eternal pessimist in me shouts out…. "They’ll put it towards the bottom line…."

:rolleyes:

I will play devils advocate here and take the position that based on my limited knowledge of HAL, but on the number of incidents reported here where HAL computer systems were apparently faulty, I would not want E-docs.

hard copy docs are only as good as HAL's system. They can still have errors too. My docs for my cruise have a little sticker for the cabin number because apparently they were printed wrong. There is another category and cabin number listed underneath the sticker.

As someone who has worked on large scale IT customer systems and CRM I can tell you having a single system would probaby be easier for them to administer and streamline operations for them.

That being said, I like the paper docs, it gives you something to look forward to. But I'd still book a cruise with HAL if they used e-docs and I am sure many of their faithful cruisers would also.

I'm sure some system could be put in place but paperless will probably be a misnomer. Maybe just less paper....

I think I like having a piece of paper for something that cost thousands of dollars and that is time sensitive once you are on the road away from your computer. And I own a business and do not deal paperless with the IRS, yuk it's hard to keep them straight as it is.

Yes, you are correct about your assumption, but that group of consumers is shrinking. They could always do what the airlines do and that is issue a paper ticket if requested. They could also charge a nominal fee that covers the cost to them for printing and mailing those requests. I fly 20+ times a year for work. I cannot remember the last time I had a paper ticket, Its literally been years. This is also an something that a full service TA can provide a service to their customers that do not have computers. I always print an itinerary for all my trips, with copies of air, hotel reservations etc, and keep it in my laptop bag. Mostly for peace of mind and place to jot notes. I've never really had a cause to use it, but I guess old habits die hard ;)

I would not be happy if HAl starting doing everything on-line. Too many times their site is down and you can't book excursions, can't do immigration forms, etc.

We do not do any banking on-line, pay bills - nothing!!

When I got a new computer about 2 years ago, I didn't trust anyone -- I tore the tower apart myslef and destroyed everything in it!!! DH refers to me at times as the human cannon ball destroyer of everything that I get my hands on.

We have been using e-tickets for both our domestic and international airlines for years here so to me it wouldn't be any different.

I would miss receiving the wallet, but most of us have found the wallets are not as good as they were and now look quite plastic so that is not such a huge loss.

If airlines can keep track of us around the world, then surely HAL's computer will be able to look after us cruisers.

Jennie

I think not sending out the docs might be a missed marketing op too. Booking things on line is pretty easy. But doing the shopping for excursions etc. might be more appealing with those docs that we all love to fondle. It's pretty easy for me online to not even look at the excursions if I think I need to save money and just walk around in a port. but if I have the hard copy of the excusions for my cruise, I will read it just to see what's going on. And sometimes I even book one.

So what I am saying is that when you know what you want, buying it online is pretty easy, but we when you want to look through something like a catalog and maybe make notes for other people in your party to look at the slick mailed out docs do a good job. I know you can print it, but it's not the same. just another thought.

I can go with either way. But I know that when I had to cancel one cruise and the TA could not send me an email saying it was cancelled I got really nervous. I mean there are thousands of dollars in the transaction, and I just had to wait for the credit to show up on my credit card?? If I can get a receipt, I will always get one.

Princess is instituting E-Ticketing, but will still follow up with mailed packets that include luggage tags, Shore-Ex booklets, etc.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1779

In the interest of cost-cutting or saving a few trees (your preference) - Should HAL follow suit?

HAL should have went paperless years ago.

There is absolutely no reason to routinely print documents out. Oh, sure ... you can print them on request ... for a charge ... for those people who don't have a computer and have no access to someone with one. At some point, I predict, you won't even need to print documents because everything will be totally electronic. Just present your credit card and your reservation number and onboard you go. At least you don't have to deal with lost documents that way.

The airlines have been using e-ticketing for years. I love it ... it speeds up the whole check-in process immeasurably. No reason cruise lines can't do the same.

Celebrity also uses e-ticketing and my one Celebrity cruise had the fastest embarkation of all. When you print your documents out, you print one with a bar code. The people at embarkation simply wand this bar code, and onboard you go. What could be simplier than that?

As for shore excursion booklets. HAL lets you print them off from the website too ... so there is really no reason to even send them out. If they'd improve their website a bit, I'd bet more people would book their excursions online too. I always do. And, in the case of people without a computer, I'm sure their travel agent can maintain a few extra copies of shore excursion booklets in her office, and can also assist her clients in booking them online.

Blue skies ...

--rita

hard copy docs are only as good as HAL's system. They can still have errors too. My docs for my cruise have a little sticker for the cabin number because apparently they were printed wrong. There is another category and cabin number listed underneath the sticker.

As someone who has worked on large scale IT customer systems and CRM I can tell you having a single system would probaby be easier for them to administer and streamline operations for them.

That being said, I like the paper docs, it gives you something to look forward to. But I'd still book a cruise with HAL if they used e-docs and I am sure many of their faithful cruisers would also.

;)

fcorey,

My point was not the simplicity or complexity of the HAL system and its inherent databases and OS intricacies. I concur that there is a positive aspect to a singular system. Rather I am concerned about the certainty and validity in the process. Like you, I am involved in the industry and I recognize GIGO. And of course, I agree that even with original hard documents there is always a chance for error. I suppose part of my position was that there is a greater complexity of processing electronic data vs. proof reading paper documents. ( I hope they still do that! :) )I appreciate your response and in deference to your years of experience with E-docs I agree that it is the future, as much as many here may feel uncomfortable with its inevitable arrival.

fcorey,

My point was not the simplicity or complexity of the HAL system and its inherent databases and OS intricacies. I concur that there is a positive aspect to a singular system. Rather I am concerned about the certainty and validity in the process. Like you, I am involved in the industry and I recognize GIGO. And of course, I agree that even with original hard documents there is always a chance for error. I suppose part of my position was that there is a greater complexity of processing electronic data vs. proof reading paper documents. ( I hope they still do that! :) )I appreciate your response and in deference to your years of experience with E-docs I agree that it is the future, as much as many here may feel uncomfortable with its inevitable arrival.

As I said I still print out hard copies myself, partly as old habits die hard, and I'm anal about plans in general. Also working in IT, I am sure you've had experiences where a hard copy can save your tail.

If they decide to do e-docs I hope that they take their time and do it well and not rush into it as an opportunity to save a couple of bucks. That would be doubly disappointing.

There is simply something about the tangible nature of the cruise docs, particularly as they are packaged by HAL in the pleather doc envelop, which just adds to the experience. Our carnival docs were in a cardboard folder, not nearly as nice :)

Archived