Post CRUISE LINE Single Supplement/Solo Bargains HERE

cruisinryan

I originally booked a solo balcony on the Anthem, but the rooms are somehow oddly connected to regular staterooms. You have to see the map to understand. Anyway it would have been 1900 for a trip to the Bahamas over New Years. I cancelled that trip and am planning something else that time of year on an older ship. After sailing on the Allure, I'll be quite fine with an older ship, but better itinerary.

Is it possible you booked a category SI cabin (inside virtual balcony) rather than a category SB solo balcony (real balcony)? The SI cabins are very small and are accessed from a shared hallway where the other two rooms are real balconies. This cluster of rooms can be booked by a family group or sold individually.

I spent 10 days in an SB cabin and thought it was fantastic. There are 12 of these cabins near the aft elevators on decks 6 and 7 - they end in "48", "50" and "52" and sell out almost immediately. The "48" cabins have gigantic balconies. Here are the measurements I took in my "48" cabin.

Approximate sizes are:

1). Cabin door direct to back wall - 13 feet

2). Cabin width - about 8 feet 4 inches (100 inches)

3). Balcony door area - 16 inches to outer lip and 67 inches wide

4). Balcony width - about 8 feet 4 inches

5). Balcony long side - 16 feet

6). Balcony short side - almost 11 feet

7). Bathroom - 53 inches deep by 62 inches wide with one corner angled for door.

8) Bed is 55 inches wide and 75 inches long and is square on the end.

The cabin is not completely a rectangle. Each cabin door is recessed about 28 inches from the edge of the hallway. The back of the bathroom is recessed into the 28 inch area on one side of the door, so it doesn't overwhelm the visual of the room. Doors open out instead of in, which is really good.

On entry to the cabin the side of the bathroom is only 23 inches before the bathroom door angle starts going out to 41 inches.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2128186&highlight=sb

I had a reply saying my booking had been automatically cancelled because I had not supplied credit card details. I have waited for the cabins I chose to be returned to the for sale inventory, checking every day, but they haven't. Eventually, I tried to book two other cabins and received an error - possibly because the system thinks the same people are already booked. I will wait and see.

Hope that it works out for you!

As previous poster said, there are good bargains on the Norwegian Epic studio cabins for the winter season. I found a good price in November, Thanksgiving week.

November 22, 2015

Epic

7-day Mediterranean

Roudtrip Barcelona

studio cabin

$559 (plus ports fees/taxes)

Actually, I don't believe hurricane season is the reason why prices are lower later in the fall. According to http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=146:

"Hurricane season officially runs from June 1 through November 30. Although hurricanes are generally unpredictable, conventional wisdom has dictated that peak season varies by geography. In the Eastern Caribbean and along the U.S. East Coast, the season tends to be busiest between mid-August and mid-September. In the Western Caribbean, it picks up in mid-September and stretches into early November. Early- and late-season hurricanes (June and mid- to late-November respectively) are rare but not unprecedented."

I believe the lower temperatures cause demand to drop, that is, except for Christmas and New Year's sailings, and possibly also Thanksgiving sailings.

Interesting opinion. I don't think it's just hurricane season that causes lower rates. There are many reasons, but I've heard that many cruisers stay away during hurricane season. I think that the lower prices in November and December have a lot to do with people being busy with holidays and family functions. Also, people who work and operate on a yearly calendar (rather than a fiscal calendar that doesn't end at year end) are very busy. I know people who can't get off at year end. I'm not sure about the cooler weather. Personally, it's too hot for me to cruise before November. It's not appealing at all to me to be in the Caribbean earlier. That said, I'm trying an October cruise this year. Two of my last cruises in November had hurricanes somewhere in the Caribbean On one, we just had overcast and rainy weather. On the second one, we had to reverse the itinerary to avoid the weather.

Interesting opinion. I don't think it's just hurricane season that causes lower rates. There are many reasons, but I've heard that many cruisers stay away during hurricane season. I think that the lower prices in November and December have a lot to do with people being busy with holidays and family functions. Also, people who work and operate on a yearly calendar (rather than a fiscal calendar that doesn't end at year end) are very busy. I know people who can't get off at year end. I'm not sure about the cooler weather. Personally, it's too hot for me to cruise before November. It's not appealing at all to me to be in the Caribbean earlier. That said, I'm trying an October cruise this year. Two of my last cruises in November had hurricanes somewhere in the Caribbean On one, we just had overcast and rainy weather. On the second one, we had to reverse the itinerary to avoid the weather.

In general, I believe prices for Caribbean cruises are higher in July and August, despite it being hurricane season, with higher prices for cruises during holidays and other breaks, such as spring break, as well. Prices drop when school starts, and continue to drop as the temperatures do, that is, until Thanksgiving weekend, and then winter break.

Edited by jlajr

I booked this cruise last week for $1066.20 (includes port charges and taxes). I'll be in an obstructed ov--inside cabins were $100 less. I just booked my flights using Princess Air so I'm getting excited about the cruise. Next I'll take a look at my roll call.

Originally I was looking at Alaska cruises from mid May through June. Solo pricing was from $1,500-$2,500 on the few cruises I checked out sailing from Vancouver. I was very happy to find the Pacific Coastal cruise even through its earlier then I wanted to travel.

I love looking at everybody's deals. Someday I hope to do one of these TA type cruises.

Faith

Come join the roll call, Faith - it's a bit slow but a few folks are planning independent excursions to the vineyards. It should be great fun!

Liz

Not sure if its been posted but NCL dropped the price on Epic 11/15 7 day Western Med. RT from Barcelona. Now some folks can get it for $519 (loyalty members?). When I mock book, it teases me with $519 but then shows $539 when I select the cabin. Their $25 OBC offer is still going on, too.

Flights are about $1200 if you're west coast and $1000 if you're east. Some are under $1000 if you have flexible air dates and/or want to travel Norwegian or Aeroflot.

The good news is Carnival released their latest single occupancy list as of yesterday at https://www.goccl.com/~/media/GOCCL/Files/Sales/SingleOccupancy.ashx . The bad news is just about everything else:

* The single tax is still 50%

* The applicable cruises are only through May

* List is mostly filled with shorter cruises

The good news is Carnival released their latest single occupancy list as of yesterday at https://www.goccl.com/~/media/GOCCL/Files/Sales/SingleOccupancy.ashx . The bad news is just about everything else:

* The single tax is still 50%

* The applicable cruises are only through May

* List is mostly filled with shorter cruises

Doubt we will see any 0% SS until shoulder season...Oct,Nov,Dec

Not to be a "buzzkill", but isn't this thread supposed to be for posting solo deals?

Sure, but because I don't believe it is possible to send private messages to fellow members, there's really no other way of communicating something like that - as long as they don't completely hijack the thread for more than a couple of posts... :)

Nieuw Amsterdam 24 (!) day sailings leaving on April 22nd or May 4th are $127/day or ~$3060 total, solo inside (includes fare/tax/tips). These are two 12-day B2Bs that come at a discount over booking the individual legs (about $15/day).

Leave Barcelona, end in Venice, or v.v. The only port that is repeated is Venice.

NCL Epic has a 21 day itinerary in Europe in January/February. Studio is $1303 AARP Rate, and $1349 Non AARP rate. With tax it is $1473 and $1520 respectively. The weather will certainly be on the cooler side but it is a great rate to see a lot of Europe. It goes out of Barcelona. Lower airfare can be found to Milan if you want to add that on and train, bus or fly to Barcelona.

Bermuda - 5 days - Liberty of the Seas- Cape Liberty, Bayonne, NJ - June 13, 2015

Inside cat M or L - about 116.5% supplement - $856 + $167 port taxes.

I booked an inside guarantee on Sunday at 150% which came out to a little less than this, but it disappeared before I could post it. However, if you want to go to Bermuda at a good price on a geat ship at a prime time of year (not hurricaine season), this is a good deal.

The May 30 sailing has even better prices, but it is two weeks earlier.

NCL Epic has a 21 day itinerary in Europe in January/February. Studio is $1303 AARP Rate, and $1349 Non AARP rate. With tax it is $1473 and $1520 respectively. The weather will certainly be on the cooler side but it is a great rate to see a lot of Europe. It goes out of Barcelona. Lower airfare can be found to Milan if you want to add that on and train, bus or fly to Barcelona.

I saw these as well, at $1299 non-AARP, although I am a past passenger.

March is a little more expensive, but might be a little warmer.

The itineraries are Western Med/Canary Islands B2Bs. The 10- or 11-day itineraries are also a pretty good deal.

In November 2013, I sailed on the NCL Spirit for a nine-day Canary Island itinerary, and we had great weather. Booking about three weeks before sailing date, I got a great deal (US$420 plus taxes and tips), but I had to spend relatively more money on airfare. I met a couple that I think paid about $280 per person! So, there was still a pretty steep single supplement, but who the hell cares? :)

I noticed prices have dropped for some of Carnival's longer cruises. The listing is in the attached .pdf file; it's actually a converted screen capture. The "total price" includes port fees and mandatory gratuities for one person. They all have a full 100% single tax, so the prices aren't overall great ($117-$211/day; most are in the $150 range), but I thought they were good enough to make a note of.

Journeys-Price-Drops-0415.pdf

Currently, reduced Single Supplements for 5/17/15 and 6/14/15 sailings :D

Thank you for posting. Message titles unfortunately do not appear in the app on my phone and I really do appreciate when the sailings are included in the body of the message posted instead. I know it's not your issue - it's mine for using the app :rolleyes: - but just thought you might like to make note for future posts.

Thanks and Happy Sailing! :)

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea