Panama Canal cruise direction

Starlaker

Which direction would be better to travel on a Panama Canal transit cruise? We are looking to book on the Island Princess for Feb or March 2010 and wonder if one direction is better than the other.

Simply time wise, I can't comment on the views, I would do an East to West transit. I did the opposite and was dismayed when every other day it seemed, the clock shifted FORWARD an hour. Seems like we lost quite a few cruise hours that way!

We are about 4 weeks off a Coral full transit of the Panama including Central America. I was noticing yesterday that a lot of the Central American ports are being dropped and the intinerary is being expanded to 15 day from this years 14 days. It would seem that an extra Mexican port is being added and you will spend more time in Panama which we did not. All of that said we really did enjoy the Central American Countries more than we did the canal itself. So given the changes I am not sure if anyone can tell you which way is best...it an unknown entity at this point. But one thing that I would suggest that if you are going from Pacific to Atlantic I think I would book a starboard cabin and a port side cabin on the reverse. We had a starboard from east to west (really north to south) and we had the impression that there was more to see in the canal on the other side of the ship (port side).

We did East to West in Dec 2001 (Miami to LA) and West to East in Sep 2007 (Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale) and are going to do W to E in September of this year also. Our one observation of which side of the ship you should be on is the side facing west. Granted you may have some obstructions while in the locks, but I feel most of the visuals are on the west side, hence my preference. The canal is our favorite voyage and I would do it every year.

See you on the water,

Rex

We did East to West in Dec 2001 (Miami to LA) and West to East in Sep 2007 (Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale) and are going to do W to E in September of this year also. Our one observation of which side of the ship you should be on is the side facing west. Granted you may have some obstructions while in the locks, but I feel most of the visuals are on the west side, hence my preference. The canal is our favorite voyage and I would do it every year.

See you on the water,

Rex

You mean being on the west side of the ship while travelling through the Canal? If so, I guess I picked the right side.

The only thing is, it looks like from the Web Cams you need to be on Starboard if you are going North through the Canal. I was hoping to have some friends be able to request the web cam focus on my balcony.

I'd recommend Atlantic to Pacific. The Atlantic side has three locks, one on top of the other. Quite stunning as you approach, especially if there are large ships in all three. The Pacific side has the three spread out.

Having just done west to east (we only changed the clock once) I don't think it really matters.

Go for the one that visits the ports that you find most interesting including - maybe - some that you are unlikely to ever visit again (for example, I'm REALLY glad I went to Nicaragua but don't see myself going again). But, that's just me. I'm a tad more "adventurous" than most travelers...

We were on the Coral last month for the full transit east to west. We were on the port side which was preferable for the activity through the locks (mainly at Miraflores where all the people wait for you at the visitors centre) and where you can be seen on your balcony on the webcam back home. (www.pancanal.com)

Being on port side we also enjoyed the sunsets up the west coast starting from Huatulco and during the 3 final sea days, then up to LA. It's another reason I chose a cabin on the port side. We also liked the east to west itinerary because it finished with 3 days at sea to relax before the cruise ended.

Cindy

I have been through it 3 times. I found best is from west to east only because I am from NYC and you gradually change time zones on the way home (ie: no jet lag at the end of your trip). Hope this makes sense?

Kevin,

Makes sense to me. We are doing our first transit East to West. We live outside of Los Angeles, so no flight home. Also the major time changes will be at the beginning of the trip and we have two sea days to recover.

Which direction would be better to travel on a Panama Canal transit cruise? We are looking to book on the Island Princess for Feb or March 2010 and wonder if one direction is better than the other.

Come along with us on the Coral on April 26th.. 19-days round-trip L.A to L.A.

You get to go both directions on the same cruise, and different ports each way, too!

Gary

We just went West to East. We have been through several times before. All the action was on the starboard side going through the Canal (port side coming the other way). Except for that day, we thought we were better off on the opposite side for using the balcony. We had a lot more shade on the Pacific side and could enjoy our afternoons there. And if you have a chance to get off at the pier at Cristobal, do it. Lots of good bargains and just fun to look around. Nancy

I have been through it 3 times. I found best is from west to east only because I am from NYC and you gradually change time zones on the way home (ie: no jet lag at the end of your trip). Hope this makes sense?

Since the OP is from Washington, I was going to suggest they go from the Caribbean to the Pacific for the exact same reason. Get the long flight over with at the beginning and gradually change time zones all the way home.

Starlaker, is your screen name because you live on Star Lake? If so, hi neighbor!

Kathi & Leo

Thanks for all the information. We are scheduled for this cruise in December (east to west) and I just switched our cabin from the starboard to the port side based on everyone's recommendations. We live in the LA area so we are thrilled to be able to at get off the ship and drive home.

Thank you all for all this great information! We really do appreciate it. Half the fun (almost) of a trip is in the planning and you have given me some great info. Any other great tips on the Panama Canal cruise? You have convinced me that Atlantic to the Pacific is the way to go for us.

Kathi & Leo, yes we live at Star Lake. Are you close?

Having gone through in both directions, I think either direction is great as far as the canal transit itself is spactacular either way.

As far as port or starboard, there are two sets of locks and the best place to be is where you can see the other lock as you go through. However, there is no way to know in advance which side the ship will be going on. Even the captain will not know until approaching the locks.

But no matter which side you are on, you will not get the full experience if you only view the transit from your cabin's balcony. The best place to view it is where you can look from the front of the ship, where you can see both sets of locks and see the ships in the lock in front of you be lowered or lifted and where you can also see what is happening in the parallel lock.

FYI you should really say Pacific to Atlantic, or Atlantic to Pacific. If you are sailing Pacific to Atlantic ,while going thru the Canal itself you are actually sailing East to West. Hard to believe until you really look at a map closely and a great trivia answer.

Do both.

Exactly, do your own survey. Don't take the word of any of us.

Actually, I would suggest that you look at the itinerary and see if there is a difference in the ports visited, which seem more interesting, and if the disembarkation port has an interest to you that you might want to stay a day or two.

Then again, do a BTB and solve the mystery.

Archived