Michael's Club becoming Elite lounge.

C 2 C

Mary D.

An interesting point, but most business model stress gaining and maintaining repeat, loyal customers.

We work to keep repeat business. Yes, you do that with maintaining, and upgrading quaility, but you also provide perks to your loyal customers.

This model is practiced by just about every customer-oriented business, especially in service businesses such as hotels providing free wine, video movies and free stays, airlines with free flights, car rentals with upgrades and free weekend deals, and so on. All done by getting customers to join your 'club'. When I travel, I usually stay in one hotel brand because of their benefits. That way, when we travel to Rome before our next cruise, we can stay in a 5-star walking distance of the Vatican, something I wouldn't do on my own nickel. I'd love a little B&B but by taking advantage of a hotel loyalty program, I get to stay at a 'swank' hotel.

Yes, take care of quality, but you must have loyal/repeat customers to survive. And this is one of the ways - a very effective way.

Denny

How can anyone pooh pooh anything about which we know nothing....yet!!:p

Waiting for July 1st with bated breath!! But these threads are sometimes mines of misinformation - so won't actually hold my breath!!

Mary has her opinion to which she is perfectly entitled - but the majority of passengers would welcome loyalty benefits, I believe. Her age and number of cruises, doesn't give her opinion any more weight than anyone else's!!

Good fun speculating, though:D

We just returned from the Baltics on the Century. We were offered the "perks" for elite membership including the drinks at Michaels, 90 minutes online, bridge tour, engine room tour, dismbarkation from Muranos (close to the exit), free laundry, flowers in addition to those already in the cabin. We were also touched by the upgrade fairy to a concierge. Oh yes, also an invitation to dinner at the captain's table. We are seasoned sailors but really enjoyed the little extras. It added a little more quality to the cruise, The food was good. Another change we experienced were two very elaborate brunches in place of the chocolate extravaganza. All in all, it was a great but hectic cruise.

Elissa

Interesting that 2 people now have registered and made their first post ever to pooh pooh the new perks (one such posting has been deleted sometime since this morning).

Ahhh, you must be referring to me. I made an honest comment about something I felt I had some experience with, but in only an hour someone is criticising me for it. That must be a record!

If you must know, I have been following these forums for quite some time. My husband and I frequently posted messages together here, and on other forums. Unfortunately, my husband of almost 50 years passed away a year ago, may he rest in peace. So, now I must fend for myself. I have always been the independent type, so after a year I felt it was time to set up my own userID. A person must move on.

Now, can you guess which userID we used together? We've posted many messages during our wonderful years together, even as his health deteriorated. But now, unfortunately, you will only hear from me.

Best regards,

Mary D.

If you must know, I have been following these forums for quite some time. My husband and I frequently posted messages together here, and on other forums. Unfortunately, my husband of almost 50 years passed away a year ago, may he rest in peace. So, now I must fend for myself. I have always been the independent type, so after a year I felt it was time to set up my own userID. A person must move on.

Best regards,

Mary D.

Welcome Mary D.

We hope you enjoy posting and sharing under your new ID. I've had a few posts removed because when I read them from a different perspective, I realized it could be taken as being rude and should be removed. And some that got reactions that I didn't expect.

Emails and posts can be tricky. There is no verbal intonations to give the listeners an idea of how to take the written words, and when we are writing anonmously as we do on these boards, we can be a little more abrupt then meant.

Denny

...Instead of allocating monetary resources to reward returning customers, Celebrity would be better served by investing in better entertainment, higher caliber cuisine in the MDR, and eliminating the extra fees for mundane items such as bottled water and sodas, for instance. By improving the entire cruise experience a notch or two, people will come back for more....

The 'Premium' cruiseline model does not extend to providing complimentary bottled water and sodas, and the higher end of cuisine and dining. There are however the Deluxe and Luxury lines, whom provide various levels of more 'inclusiveness' and enhancements - these may be closer and a better fit for what you describe?

As you I'm sure will be familiar with given your many cruises, there are a lot of very different choices out there these days! Each cruise 'bracket' (Contemporary, Premium, Luxury etc.) has their own signature things that are included, and of course their own price point.

If Celebrity was to upgrade and include more things, and in effect put themselves in the Deluxe bracket, I suspect pricing would have to be adjusted (upward).

The cost of providing loyalty benefits is far, far smaller than fleetwide benefits for every single passenger with regard to MDR, Entertainment, Free sodas/bottled water etc.

I know the loyalty programme at X (especially in the Select/Elite tiers) is pretty weak comparative to Princess, Royal et al. This will be a significant enhancement for many repeat X guests, and get a leg up over HAL who is also trailing in loyalty programmes onboard.

Hi Ed! Welcome home. This sounds good. I suspect another Captain's Club level too. It would make sense.

I agree.

Sorry I didn't get to meet up with you and Jacque' date=' but hopefully we'll get the chance to sail on the same ship soon.:)

Phil[/quote']

Sorry we missed you also. Maybe we will sail together some time. :)

Hi Texed ~ thanks so much for sharing the details with us. Still hoping to see you and Jacque on a ship someday! Hope you had a great cruise on Connstellation.

I sure hated not being able to sail with all of you on Solstice, but we had already been on her at Christmas. But, hopefully, some day we will meet up on a ship. :)

We just returned from our Baltic cruise on Constellation. We took advantage of the perks they are trying out on Constellation. My wife and I got 90 minutes of INTERNET free, a bag of laundry free, invitation to the bridge, and exclusive use of Michael's Club for Continental breakfast and happy hour from 4:00 PM until 6:00 PM. We went almost every day. We met friends there daily. Some had early dining, and some of us had late dining. There was not a dress code, so most of the early diners were dressed for dinner while the ones that had late dining were usually not dressed for dinner.

I tried to get some info from the Captain's Club Hostess, and she did say it was on a trial basis, but that most would be pleased when it is implemented. I believe, after talking to her quite a bit, that another level of Elite will be added to keep the lounge from being too crowded. I also think the upper levels of suites will be invited.

The great thing I loved about the "Happy Hours" in Michael's Club was getting to know some folks, and meeting them there daily.

Also, we got to sample a white and red wine daily. We also got hors d'ors (sp) daily. We even got a sampling of the Goat Cheese Soufflé from Ocean Liners.

I know there will be scheduling problems, etc., but I believe Celebrity, if and when they implement these perks, are on the right track. :)

Hi, Ed, and welcome home. This sounds really nice... wish they had been trying this out in March when we were on the Constellation. Having it in Michael's Club is a nice idea; it is a lovely space on the ship. Getting a chance to sample wines daily would be very enjoyable, and goat cheese souffle?? Wow. What kind of hors d'oeuvres were served?

And definitely one of the best parts of cruising is getting to know new friends during the cruise.

Thanks for sharing!

Darlings, I am eighty-two years young and have been traveling on ocean liners and cruise ships since I was a child. Fortunately I am financially comfortable and take several cruises each year. I would estimate that I have been on well over one hundred cruises, patronizing almost all the major lines, as well as many of the smaller lines. I am the equivalent to Celebrity's Elite level on practically all of them.

With that background in place, here is my opinion of the current excitement towards the changes in the "perks" program: Yawn!

Instead of allocating monetary resources to reward returning customers, Celebrity would be better served by investing in better entertainment, higher caliber cuisine in the MDR, and eliminating the extra fees for mundane items such as bottled water and sodas, for instance. By improving the entire cruise experience a notch or two, people will come back for more.

Wouldn't you rather have the entire Celebrity experience improved rather than only piecemeal upgrades to only a few? Rather than a few free drinks in Michael’s club, I'd rather see improved, first class shows in the theatre. Rather than $50 worth of internet, I'd rather have improved quality of food both in the MDR and the buffet area, every time. Rather than a laundry allowance, I rather have free sodas for my grandchildren when they are able to travel with me, and better pool side activities for the both the younger and older crowd.

In my humble opinion, what would encourage me to repeatedly cruise with Celebrity is a higher quality experience overall rather than a few token perks just for me.

Mary D.

Darling Mary...there is nothing like a privileged cocktail hour or two with a bartender who is mixing to a specific liking to get people excited with the new changes.

While I have not cruised as much as you have, I'm pretty sure that this change is a good thing.;)

Hi, Ed, and welcome home. Having it in Michael's Club is a nice idea; it is a lovely space on the ship. Getting a chance to sample wines daily would be very enjoyable, and goat cheese souffle?? Wow. What kind of hors d'oeuvres were served?

And definitely one of the best parts of cruising is getting to know new friends during the cruise.

Thanks for sharing!

We enjoyed Michael's Club also. They had different type of snacks each day. They also let us sample some pretty expensive wines. Meeting with other cruisers was the best part. :)

Texed, did you get any sense that the Elite level for the these perks would be changing? We're Diamond Plus on Royal and Elite in our own right on Celebrity, but if there isn't a new Elite status(more credits needed), I fear the cocktail reception on Celebrity will fail as it did on Royal.

Just curious, thanks!!:)

Darlings, I am eighty-two years young and have been traveling on ocean liners and cruise ships since I was a child. Fortunately I am financially comfortable and take several cruises each year. I would estimate that I have been on well over one hundred cruises, patronizing almost all the major lines, as well as many of the smaller lines. I am the equivalent to Celebrity's Elite level on practically all of them.

With that background in place, here is my opinion of the current excitement towards the changes in the "perks" program: Yawn!

Instead of allocating monetary resources to reward returning customers, Celebrity would be better served by investing in better entertainment, higher caliber cuisine in the MDR, and eliminating the extra fees for mundane items such as bottled water and sodas, for instance. By improving the entire cruise experience a notch or two, people will come back for more.

Wouldn't you rather have the entire Celebrity experience improved rather than only piecemeal upgrades to only a few? Rather than a few free drinks in Michael’s club, I'd rather see improved, first class shows in the theatre. Rather than $50 worth of internet, I'd rather have improved quality of food both in the MDR and the buffet area, every time. Rather than a laundry allowance, I rather have free sodas for my grandchildren when they are able to travel with me, and better pool side activities for the both the younger and older crowd.

In my humble opinion, what would encourage me to repeatedly cruise with Celebrity is a higher quality experience overall rather than a few token perks just for me.

Mary D.

Mary D., I also read your second post. I am sure you have noticed before that some people have a tendency to jump in with an assumption about the motives of an apparent first time poster. However, I am confident you also noticed that those referring to your post did so with civility. So good for them. Not all threads remain civil.

As to your comments, I, for one, understand your points. We have been of far fewer cruises than you, but are seasoned travelers otherwise. We too would rather have better quality food all the time, if it were a choice between that and a few inexpensive perks. But I doubt that Celebrity evaluates and decides as though it were a choice between the two. I suspect that Celebrity is experiencing a reduction in bookings, and trying to entice past cruisers back by offering a few new perks. This probably affects their food quality decisions not one bit. So I don't think it is a choice between better food or perks. The choice is between perks or no perks.

This does not mean that I agree with Celebrity one bit. No, I think the quality of the dinners has a definite impact on repeated bookings. Our first five Celebrity cruises were almost always with very good food. Our sixth, a Summit TA, lacked dinner food quality for several dinners. I have posted this elsewhere, so I will not repeat details.

We have thought the Celebrity entertainment to be good. But it may have diminished a bit on our last cruise. Previous cruises included a classical tenor, a classical violinist, and a former cast member from Les Misérables in London. But there were no such performances on our last cruise. We did have a good young string quartet from the University of Indiana in the Cova Cafe periodically. We also had an excellent session in Michael's Club one evening, staged entirely by the band and singers themselves. We wish these ad hoc performances would have been more than one night. But I am referring to the main stage presentations when I write that things have slipped a bit.

Posters often write that food enjoyment is subjective. We think entertainment is much more so. We enjoy music from old time country to opera to symphonic, but only those with good musical quality. Other posters may not be so discriminating.

Mary D., we are close to your age and I hate to notice this. However, your desire for "free sodas for my grandchildren when they are able to travel with me" is a perk which may not benefit all.

I get caught up in some of these threads. I must stop. Mary, stay with us to voice your thoughts. :)

Bob :cool:

Texed, did you get any sense that the Elite level for the these perks would be changing? We're Diamond Plus on Royal and Elite in our own right on Celebrity, but if there isn't a new Elite status(more credits needed), I fear the cocktail reception on Celebrity will fail as it did on Royal.

Just curious, thanks!!:)

Yes, I think they will have an upper tier to restrict the entrance to the lounge. I think they see the mistake RCCI made by making the Concierge Lounge too open for membership.

Yes, I think they will have an upper tier to restrict the entrance to the lounge. I think they see the mistake RCCI made by making the Concierge Lounge too open for membership.

Ed..what they will accomplish by doing this is ALIENATE alot of

loyal cruisers. We NOW will NOT be able to go to the Concierge Lounge on

our next R.C.C.L. cruise.

We cruised with R.C.C.L. because

we happened to enjoy going to the C.L. pre-dinner to meet and, socialize

with our friends on the particular ship.

(like you guys we met in Michaels Club once.)

NOW, we are banished off to a somewhere lounge to maybe,

see somebody we know.

I.M.H.O., R.C.C.L. has put us off my this

"could care less about you" attitude

and, after we use the cruises we have booked, will not be so a

Loyal Royal, when it comes to our cruises in the future.

Plus, when I wrote Adam Goldstein, they sent me a mimegraphed

letter, in essence saying "Too Bad..."

Who can respect that?

So they are starting out by offering it to Elite Members and then take it away from them by making "another class". The doesn't make sense at all.

The worst thing they did was make the Celebrity and RCCL Loyalty Programs reciprocal.

Anne Maria

I think at present they are still "testing" so will avoid being accused of taking it away when it comes live. I agree it is unlikley they can offer this level of perk with the current membership categories but we should wait and see what the announcement says.

I am a little disappointed that the news so far was nothing is being done re Captains Club perks on Azamara until later in the year. I understand a lounge would be difficult, given that lounge space is limited but it would be nice if they could kick in any internet perk now on Azamara as that does not need other changes to be made

"The worst thing they did was make the Celebrity and RCCL Loyalty Programs reciprocal
. "

I have a thought that this might stop for new cruisers, as the mega ships come out(Oasis for RCCL and Solstice Class for X) those brands will target their past cruisers more diligentley.

It has been muted that each line will stand alone, great for us who are

Diamond/Elite.

It is interesting to note that the loyalty programs for X and Azmara are the same, maybe RCCL will stand alone.

Mary D., I also read your second post. I am sure you have noticed before that some people have a tendency to jump in with an assumption about the motives of an apparent first time poster. However, I am confident you also noticed that those referring to your post did so with civility. So good for them. Not all threads remain civil.

As to your comments, I, for one, understand your points. We have been of far fewer cruises than you, but are seasoned travelers otherwise. We too would rather have better quality food all the time, if it were a choice between that and a few inexpensive perks. But I doubt that Celebrity evaluates and decides as though it were a choice between the two. I suspect that Celebrity is experiencing a reduction in bookings, and trying to entice past cruisers back by offering a few new perks. This probably affects their food quality decisions not one bit. So I don't think it is a choice between better food or perks. The choice is between perks or no perks.

This does not mean that I agree with Celebrity one bit. No, I think the quality of the dinners has a definite impact on repeated bookings. Our first five Celebrity cruises were almost always with very good food. Our sixth, a Summit TA, lacked dinner food quality for several dinners. I have posted this elsewhere, so I will not repeat details.

We have thought the Celebrity entertainment to be good. But it may have diminished a bit on our last cruise. Previous cruises included a classical tenor, a classical violinist, and a former cast member from Les Misérables in London. But there were no such performances on our last cruise. We did have a good young string quartet from the University of Indiana in the Cova Cafe periodically. We also had an excellent session in Michael's Club one evening, staged entirely by the band and singers themselves. We wish these ad hoc performances would have been more than one night. But I am referring to the main stage presentations when I write that things have slipped a bit.

Posters often write that food enjoyment is subjective. We think entertainment is much more so. We enjoy music from old time country to opera to symphonic, but only those with good musical quality. Other posters may not be so discriminating.

Mary D., we are close to your age and I hate to notice this. However, your desire for "free sodas for my grandchildren when they are able to travel with me" is a perk which may not benefit all.

I get caught up in some of these threads. I must stop. Mary, stay with us to voice your thoughts. :)

Bob :cool:

As you say, entertainment is subjective. However, unlike your goodself, I would rather listen to live music although not of top quality, rather than recordings. One reason I like RCCL is because of the orchestra. We left Celebrity a few years ago, partly because I just got very bored with the entertainment - its more lively on RCCL and, (no flaming please:)) a younger crowd. Since we are 'twirlies' that may be strange, but we do like to see a bit of life!!

I am so pleased that Mary has decided to join in - I wonder what the screen name was previously?

As far as food is concerned, we will be on the Equinox shortly - but I believe that Celebrity is trying to up-its-game on the food front. We thought that the food on the Voyager recently was an improvement and it was very good on the Brilliance in April also. Having said that, we are practical and accept that this is banqueting food!! We don't go to Chops etc. very often, as it kills my diet!! We do like the buffets in the evening though as the salad bars are usually excellent. The Brilliance had an oyster bar!!

Not sure about the Equinox arrangement for the buffet pm. Anyone tried it on Solstice? On the M class, we always eat in Casual Dining - lighter food.

Archived