Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

The porters and cabs are fine here...this has to be one of the easiest places, the airport and cruiseport are so close, many hotels have free shuttles to/from....air and sea is a great off site parking deal with shuttle service..

I am amazed....Fort Lauderdale has to be the easiest to/from port of any of them LOL

I do prefer the Port of Miami for Carnival boarding but getting there is always easier here in Lauderdale IMHO

Everyone's experiences are different but we have had enough bad ones there to want to avoid it if possible.

Thank you for all your wonderful information! Thank you for the time you put into this, much appreciated!!!

I have one question...more of a clarification please. The Hampton Inn...which is closer to the port in FLL Cypress Creek or Stirling Rd? Just wanting to make sure prior to booking. Thanks!:D

I'm so glad to see you back and thank you for replying to my email :) I've shared your blog site with anyone that asks about FLL. It's the most informative source for information on the area. It certainly has helped us in the past :)

FLL is our favorite cruise port and we are headed back there in October. We are staying at the Renaissance and looking for a breakfast suggestion. The hotel offers a buffet but we are looking for somewhere with a menu to order from. I know there is a bakery around the corner from the hotel but it was small and offered more of a bakery type offering. Any suggestions?

Thank you again :)

The bakery is gone; I stayed there last year; there is a little place in a small strip mall up the street; not too far, but might take a cab; cross the street near Walgreen's and head up, not toward the bridge; there is also a little liquor store there too, I think; I made a mistake and went to that place Guy Fiori went to, taxi ride was 20.00/one way; not so great; wish I went somewhere else.

Hi all- This will be my first time sailing from Port of Miami. We are flying into FLL (due to much lower fares combined with use of points to book free tix on SW). It appears that the SAS shuttle from FLL to Miami is a very good choice ($15pp each way). I am wondering, though, about whether to stay in FLL the night we arrive, then shuttle to POM in the morning (lower price for hotel), or stay closer to the POM to avoid the morning-of-departure shuttle (more expensive hotel, but view of port, plus quick trip over in the morning).

Generally, we are looking for good value, access to restaurant (kid-friendly), maybe a shop for snacks/toiletries/drinks.

Thoughts?

TIA

17th St would be a good place to stay in Fort Lauderdale. The restaurants there area family friendly and there are shops for what you need. However, if you are on a budget Sleep Inn in Dania has very low prices and is next to inexpensive Italian and Mexican restaurants and stores. The hotels on Stirling Rd at I95 are also a good choice. The ride to POM in the morning isn't far and you may not have to leave that early in the morning. Maybe SAS could do a late morning pickup.

Hi,

DH and I are coming off the Silhouette on Sunday, February 3rd. Our flight isn't until 8pm. We're looking for a mall or somewhere to kill some time before we meet some friends who are driving down from Melbourne. Then we'd like to find a nice restaurant for lunch where we can spend some time chatting for the afternoon. We will not have a car because our friends will be dropping us at the airport. Although, now that I think of it, how easy would it be to rent a car for the day and what would be involved getting the car? :confused:

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks and Aloha,

njaloha

I would stay on the ship as long as possible. You can take a taxi to Galleria Mall (about $20 from Port Everglades). The mall opens at noon. There are nice stores and restaurants. Seasons 52 is a great place at the mall for lunch, and you can sit outside. You can take a taxi to the Floridian or Lester's for breakfast if you want somewhere to go before noon. I guess you'll be sending your luggage to the airport from the ship using that service.

Thank you for all your wonderful information! Thank you for the time you put into this, much appreciated!!!

I have one question...more of a clarification please. The Hampton Inn...which is closer to the port in FLL Cypress Creek or Stirling Rd? Just wanting to make sure prior to booking. Thanks!:D

Cypress Creek is very far from the port, about 12 miles north. State Rd 84 is closest to the port. Stirling Rd is close to the port and airport and has more stores and restaurants than St Rd 84.

The bakery is gone; I stayed there last year; there is a little place in a small strip mall up the street; not too far, but might take a cab; cross the street near Walgreen's and head up, not toward the bridge; there is also a little liquor store there too, I think; I made a mistake and went to that place Guy Fiori went to, taxi ride was 20.00/one way; not so great; wish I went somewhere else.

Yes, there is a diner that serves breakfast in Harbor Shops, Joe's Cafe. It's a few blocks walk from Renaissance.

When we end our cruise on 3/17/13, there will be eight ships in Port Everglades port. Will we have trouble getting a taxi to Fort Lauderdale airport? Thanks for any help/advice.

Nope....you will be there along with a few thousand other of your

closest friends;).....the cabs will be happily waiting at all the

different piers ready to take passengers to the airport.

When we end our cruise on 3/17/13, there will be eight ships in Port Everglades port. Will we have trouble getting a taxi to Fort Lauderdale airport? Thanks for any help/advice.

There will be lots of cabs available so you should have no problem. But with that many ships don't make the mistake of booking too early of a flight home as the airport will be a zoo and there will be long lines for check-in and security.

When we end our cruise on 3/17/13, there will be eight ships in Port Everglades port.

Curious -- how do you know how many ships will be in port? Is there a website that lists what ships will be in a certain port on a given day? I used to have one saved but it's long gone.

Hmm. Doesn't list March 6,2013 when the Emerald departs FLL. Should I worry?

The timetable shows the Emerald departing on March 7th as well as on the Princess website. Are you perhaps arriving in FLL the day before your cruise and you have the dates confused?

If you are really concerned...as you go into the luggage terminal hold up a ten for a porter. He will have your luggage in a flash, get you out the door and grab a taxi for you. You will not have to stand in a line waiting. Getting to the airport before the bus upon bus full of cruisers is the key. ;)

Curious -- how do you know how many ships will be in port? Is there a website that lists what ships will be in a certain port on a given day? I used to have one saved but it's long gone.

cruisecal.com is also very good. It even allows you to pick out your particular sailing and then it identifies every ship that will be present at each of your ports of call.

RoyalCruz (or anyone else who may be in the know!) thinking of staying at The Atlantic Resort one night before our cruise but will have no rental car. Are there reasonable/casual restaurants within walking distance for dinner and breakfast? (If you know.)

How about near Lago Mar?

(We often find hotel restaurants over-priced and under-good. :) )

RoyalCruz (or anyone else who may be in the know!) thinking of staying at The Atlantic Resort one night before our cruise but will have no rental car. Are there reasonable/casual restaurants within walking distance for dinner and breakfast? (If you know.)

How about near Lago Mar?

(We often find hotel restaurants over-priced and under-good. :) )

Lago Mar is at the far south end of the beach and is set back about 6 blocks in a residential neighborhood. It is not a reasonable walk to anywhere.

The Atlantic is not really close to much but is less than a mile walk to casual restaurants. It is closer to the restaurants near Sunrise Blvd (Thai on the Beach, Primante's Pizza, McSorley's pub, etc.) than the main strip, so when you go to explore you can make a left on A1A. There is a very casual restaurant at the motel next door called The Deck but I don't eat there so I don't know how it is. It is opened for breakfast and lunch, maybe dinner too but not sure.

I've read through many pages and can't seem to find the information... sorry if it's a question that has been answered :)

We(4 of us) arrive from our cruise in FLL port on a Saturday and our flight is scheduled for 5:30 pm. We would hate to just sit at the airport for hours.. What would you recommend and also where do we leave our luggage??

Thanks...

Hello,

I have a few questions about cruising from out of FLL.

1. I am thinking of booking either Sheraton Beach Resort or Westin Beach resort for the night before our cruise. Does either of these places have restaurants close by if we don't have a rental car?

2. I am hoping to avoid renting a car and just taking a cab from the FLL airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to port in the morning. It looks like everything is close together so it should be easy enough to do this, right?

3. After our cruise we need to rent a car to head to Orlando. What rental car places are closest to the port and what is the name of the location I use? I tried looking for Fort Lauderdale but wasn't sure what the correct location was near port. Also looking for one that has a shuttle to the car rental place.

Thanks so much!

Hello,

I have a few questions about cruising from out of FLL.

1. I am thinking of booking either Sheraton Beach Resort or Westin Beach resort for the night before our cruise. Does either of these places have restaurants close by if we don't have a rental car?

2. I am hoping to avoid renting a car and just taking a cab from the FLL airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to port in the morning. It looks like everything is close together so it should be easy enough to do this, right?

3. After our cruise we need to rent a car to head to Orlando. What rental car places are closest to the port and what is the name of the location I use? I tried looking for Fort Lauderdale but wasn't sure what the correct location was near port. Also looking for one that has a shuttle to the car rental place.

Thanks so much!

I have not stayed there, yet. I bid and received the Sheraton Beach through Priceline for March 2013.

I called the hotel concerning cost of taxi from airport to hotel and was told under $10 so from hotel to port would not be much more as the airport to port is under $20.

I also asked here about restaurants, mentioned was Bahia Cabana 3001 Harbor Dr, Days Inn, Marriott Harbor Beach hotel.

Try Budget, call them to see if they have a shuttle from port to airport location. I got a great price using code Y937800 (anybody can use it) for our Dec rental. There are some car rentals that have a shared shuttle to/from airport/port, I am not sure which one.