Needing a card for a light slot?

It's a common thing in Europe. The slot is only on the newer ships. Eventually someone will come along with a list.

Any card can be used.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think it's new. The Breeze had it while the Dream didn't. It wasn't a big deal. I use a lanyard and just take it off and slipped it in the slot. When leaving it was right there to grab. It's just a power saving feature so you don't leave the lights on.

Edited by kona_wahine

Magic, Breeze, & Vista have it. Ultimately, it's an unnecessary nuisance & very ineffective to the goal. Many parties sharing a room don't go everywhere at the exact same time all the time. If one person is leaving the room, needing to take their S&S card that's in the slot, then they'll be turning the lights out on the person(s) still in the room. But because of the delay in the lights going out, they don't even know that they turned the lights out on the person, who might be showering or sleeping. Then, they have to feel around in the dark, trying to find a card to put in there, maybe getting themselves hurt in the process. It's quite annoying.

The answer to the nuisance is to use a different card (such as an old gift card with $0 left on it) or folded up paper. Fold up part of the fun times, and that'll do the trick. Just leave it in the slot. That's when this feature becomes ineffective to the goal, because people who always leave all the lights on (which I cannot understand why anyone would but I know that some do) will now be able to continue to always leave the lights on. The room steward might throw away the paper if you leave it in the slot when everyone's out of the room, so designate a spot to put it when the last person leaves.

I think it's new. The Breeze had it while the Dream didn't. It wasn't a big deal. I use a lanyard and just take it off and slipped it in the slot. When leaving it was right there to grab. It's just a power saving feature so you don't leave the lights on.

So I guess Motel 6 wont be introducing this anytime soon then ;)

Anything that is the same size as a credit card will work. An expired gift card or folded piece of paper works just fine. Even a playing card from a deck of cards. You don't have to use your S&S card. ;)

^^^^^ Correct! ^^^^^

everything

This. I leave a folded piece of paper in there so we can continue to charge our phones, cameras, etc., while we are gone. We always turn the lights off when we leave (old habits die hard - we always turn the lights off when we leave a room). It really doesn't bother me whether we have that slot or not. When we're on a ship with it, I just create a little card to sit in there. Not really an issue. I've never had a room steward remove it either.

Edited by trippingpara

We met the room steward on the Vista when we got to the room. I told him that we knew how to turn the lights off when we left the room. He laughed and stuck a piece of plastic in the slot which stayed there the whole trip. True to our word we made sure the lights were off when we departed the room.

I've seen this mentioned a few times can someone explain to me how this works and where I find it in my cabin? Is this on every ship and in every cabin? Thanks in advance. Sorry, I tried to find answers but just got more confused lol.

Only some. And if you find it on yours, just stick any card into it, and you never have to worry about it.

Just take the card with you at the end of the week, unless you are advertising.

Sunshine has the light slot and it's a pain in the A$$.

Not all the cabins. Probably just the new ones. We were on the Sunshine this past January and April. No card required for our cabin -- deck 6 aft.

Edited by tandemcruzr

This. I leave a folded piece of paper in there so we can continue to charge our phones, cameras, etc., while we are gone. We always turn the lights off when we leave (old habits die hard - we always turn the lights off when we leave a room). It really doesn't bother me whether we have that slot or not. When we're on a ship with it, I just create a little card to sit in there. Not really an issue. I've never had a room steward remove it either.

I'm confused. Do the outlets also turn off when the card is out of the slot?

Not all the cabins. Probably just the new ones. We were on the Sunshine this past January and April. No card required for our cabin -- deck 6 aft.

Good to know that...I had the slot in July (Deck 5 aft) which I know are new cabins. I also had a refrigerator.

In October I'm on Deck 6...mid ship....no refrigerator and maybe no slot (lol)

So I guess Motel 6 wont be introducing this anytime soon then ;)

Actually, many do, they just do it differently. A lot of hotels will have a motion sensor that everything is tied to including the AC. The only difference is the hotels have a much longer timeout(as in hours).

I've been on the magic twice. I can personally vouch for how frustrating it is "sitting on the pot" in an interior cabin when everything goes pitch black shortly after the wife leaves(pulling her card from the slot). I used a business card after that. The second time on the magic we opted for a aft balcony and that probably wouldn't have been so bad having outside light, but we still used the business card the entire cruise anyway.

I'm confused. Do the outlets also turn off when the card is out of the slot?

No they do not turn off immediately there is a delay and its like 5 mins or less from what I remember.

It my opinion it would be better if they turned off immediately so it remind you to put someone else's card in and you don't end up with people trying to find their way around in pitch black.