Hard or soft side luggage?

As a frequent traveler...I've learned there are pros and cons to any form of luggage.

Our most current preference (bought some new American Tourister a few months back) is the soft-side spinners.

Ironically, it appears luggage handlers think that hard-shell units are nearly indestructible...so they fling them around with reckless abandon in some cases.

Construction quality and materials is among the most important. Lighter weight units also are preferable, as long as the type of materials used and strength of construction are solid. Check for warranty length as well as a name brand.

You can find quality luggage online at various websites (much below retail).

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

With everyone, I have had cheap luggage that lasted 5 years and many trips and expensive luggage that lasted 5 years and many trips. My recent deal from Dillard's was High Sierra, I though it might end up being the best I have ever used, several trips with out damage, until the last, where a lot of the welting was badly damaged, still usable but looks have changed. The transportation industry, AIR, BUS or Cruise ships can damage anything. I sincerely believe that price does not matter much.

I do prefer, but do not own much of the 4 wheel drive type, but next time I will buy that type.

Oh yes WARRANTY LOL, if you have a warranty place close to home that might work but shipping it to a warranty center LOL. Well I guess if you paid $500 for a pice of luggage Maybe.

I have both. My American Tourister spinner that will fit in an airplane overhead bin is hardsided. I use that for shorter trips (or trips that are mostly shirts and shorts), and it deters me from going nuts with shopping.

My larger spinner is a soft-sided Samsonite that expands. That's for longer trips, which may require more clothes (think Alaska, Canada/New England, or Scandinavia), and ones where I do want to do some shopping.

My hardsided spinner is a bit heavy, which is why I didn't get a larger hardsided spinner.

By the say, the large spinner replaced my Samsonite Silhouette pullman case. That was fine in the 1990s, since it had wheels and a pull strap. But in a crowded situation, I had to carry it, as well as an area that meant lots to twists and turns. The invention of the large spinner made the pullman case obsolete.

The only problem with spinners are sloped surfaces. I can't leave my spinner in the driveway. Otherwise, it rolls into the street.

Do you use hard or soft side luggage and why? We're in the market for 2 new sets that'll last 10 years at least and can't decide.

I prefer soft. I thought the hard side stuff would be more durable but it got banged up and discolored on my very first trip with it. I bought some soft sided Samsonite luggage from Kohls last year and have been very happy with it. It's the spinner wheels that really make a difference for me. No more 2 wheeled inline cases for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Soft side (High Sierra). Has held up pretty good. My wife had hers for a number of years. It developed a small tear. She wrote the company and they replaced it for free. I've had mine 5+ years and no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in the market myself, my hard sided Heys didn't make it through all the handling on a 2 week Alaska Land-Sea tour. A Duct Tape repair saved me a suitcase buying excursion, but now I have an idea of what I want in the next suitcase. Luggage ideas change when you're on a vacation that requires regular moving of your suitcase.

(1) I know I DO NOT want spinner wheels on my next suitcase it's, they're great for an airport or smooth surface, pulling them on hotel carpet was near impossible. If I see something that I like with the spinners, I'm replacing them with inline skate wheels they just roll so much better.

(2) The wheel base needs to be screwed internally into the suitcase, my damaged Heys had all the wheels attached externally. If they had been internally attached the crack could've been duct tape and the suitcase would live for another trip or two.

(3) I need something expandable, you can only cram so much into a hard sided clamshell before the zippers start straining. I know my packing job contributed to the suitcase demise and I take blame. :) But almost every trip I bring back liquor or wine and I never lost a bottle with the hard side.

(4) A bright color, after 2 years of a bright colored print suitcase I can't go back to basic. I love being able to spot the suitcase at disembarkation and the baggage carousel.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

My current bag has held up well and so far I have no complaints (well maybe one...it's a little heavier than some) but still not near the heaviest out there. I bought the whole set L, M, S bag and backpack but I find myself always going with the medium bag as I can't fit more in it than the airlines allow (weight or size). The large makes it too easy for me to overpack and the small is a little too large for a carry on for some airlines. But I also bought them before things were so strict.

I have the High Sierra wheeled duffel with backpack straps. I've taken the medium bag on no fewer than 30 flights, several car trips, and lugged it around walking and public transportation in cities like New York and Europe. I love that it is expandable and has compartments that make sense. It has a harder back and sides and the top is a thick durable material. There are plenty of handles so it's always easy to grab the bag. One of my favorite things about it are the backpack straps. These have come in handy when I've been on rough or changing surfaces, tight spaces, and when going up and down stairs.

So far this bag has survived several brutal voyages and is holding up better than my sister's samsonite luggage that has only been used around 5 times. I don't know when this bag will finally kick the bucket but it still seems to have a good amount of life in it.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest maddycat

I now have an Eagle Creek hardside spinner upright suitcase. I like that it doesn't have a zipper but instead has a complete frame closure. It's ligthtweight and very easy to wheel.

It replaced my Samsonite hardside suitcase that I must have had for at least 20 years. The Samsonite is still in good shape but is too heavy. It has 2 wheels so that the suitcase must be tilted so that you can wheel it.

The only thing that I like better with the Samsonite is that it has a combination lock. The Eagle Creek has a key lock.

I like that hardsided luggage is much more water resistant than soft sided luggage. You never know when you luggage will be on a luggage cart left out in the rain.

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Luggage-Hardside-4-Wheeled/dp/B006VYXMJA

Edited by maddycat

• 1 month later...

I love Lipault soft sided luggage. After 3 yrs of business and leisure travel, it has been durable, so very lightweight, folds away for storage and it is unbelievable how much stuff I can pack in this 22" 4 wheeled bag. It weighs only 6 lbs. Take a look here http://http://www.lipault-us.com/softluggage-1.html :)

I don't know if my luggage is considered hard or soft sided. It's a rubbery case, very lightweight, with spinner wheels. We got it at Costco two years ago and it is holding up beautifully. It's lightweight and is easy to maneuver. I got the silvery grey colour ... Easy to spot on a luggage carousel!

Tumi luggage is well built and lasts.....they manufacture both soft & hard luggage....not cheap ~ but as the saying says...."you get what you pay for".....:)

This.

I have a Tumi bag that's soft sided but has a hard shell around parts of it for a lot of strength and crush resistance. At this point it will probably outlast me.