Meds

socmft

Do prescription meds have to be in original RX containers? Was thinking of comingling the pills in one container. Can I do that or do they have to be in their own prescription bottles? Thanks.

I always repackage mine into smaller bottles and have never had an issue. I label each bottle with the name and strength. I always carry extra scripts from the Dr., just in case.

I would say you can co-mingle into one or two bottles. The only issue I can even think of is when you return to the U.S., but at that time you would only have a few extra pills remaining.

Do prescription meds have to be in original RX containers? Was thinking of comingling the pills in one container. Can I do that or do they have to be in their own prescription bottles? Thanks.

Legally, yes. However, many do not for a variety of reasons, number 1 being the size of the Rx bottle(s). In my case, I take the bottles, but remove most of the pills so there is enough for the cruise length plus a couple spares (I do not want to be carrying full 90 day bottles). In addition, I take my normal daily pill dividers, pre-filled at home, also. The pre-filled divider packs are packed in my luggage, the legal bottles I carry on. This is obviously redundant, but if for some reason one group of pills or the other is either lost or stolen, I have a plan "B". Otherwise, I would have to return home since I cannot replace these drugs easily, if at all.

No..your meds do NOT need to be in the original container. The only exception would be if you're traveling with copious amounts of narcotics....those I would keep in the original bottle. Many folks simply put their meds in one of those "daily planner" containers....a section for each day...

Edited by cb at sea

No..your meds do NOT need to be in the original container. The only exception would be if you're traveling with copious amounts of narcotics....those I would keep in the original bottle. Many folks simply put their meds in one of those "daily planner" containers....a section for each day...

I have seen this question come up a 1,000 times it seems and your answer conflicts with the others, however, I like your answer a whole a lot better:D.

I have read that you should use the original bottles or have copies of the prescription when flying. Who knows if that is correct or not. I do not use the bottles. I use the 7 day "pill boxes".

My doctor uses electronic prescriptions (direct to the pharmacy) so I "print" a copy of my meds from her website and the pharmacy to a pdf's and keep them on my phone. However I've never been questioned by TSA about my meds.

Many states, including Florida, require that scheduled substances (primarily narcotics) be in the original bottles. Most other medications can be in a "daily" container or any other you wish.

Most pharmacies will happily provide a smaller container for a trip if you request it. Mine has no charge for this additional container.

PLEASE, if you choose to take your medications out of the original containers, bring along a list that clearly states the name and dosage of each medication. If there is a medical emergency, you may not be able to supply this information and your significant other may not know it. The medical staff need to know what you take, and it isn't enough to say "My blood pressure pill and my nerve pill!" If you use an i-phone, you can go to the emergency screen and from there to the medical/health screen. You can enter your medical history, contact info, and medication info. All of this can be accessed by anyone who has your phone--it does not have to be unlocked to get this info. Bottom line, if you are taken to an emergency facility and are unable to supply any information, your phone can speak for you!

For boarding the ship, carry your meds anyway you wish.

For clearing through TSA at airports, I always bring meds in original pharmacy bottles. I have the usual size and not the huge 90 day bottles some people get by mail order. I cannot risk having my meds confiscated and the risk is not worth the little extra space the pill bottles take in my carryon.

If you want to risk the off chance yours could be confiscated and tossed out, that is your choice.

For boarding the ship, carry your meds anyway you wish.

For clearing through TSA at airports, I always bring meds in original pharmacy bottles. I have the usual size and not the huge 90 day bottles some people get by mail order. I cannot risk having my meds confiscated and the risk is not worth the little extra space the pill bottles take in my carryon.

If you want to risk the off chance yours could be confiscated and tossed out, that is your choice.

We've never had a problem going through TSA. I use a 4 week med organizer. I mostly take supplements and only 1 bottle of pain medication JIC and that's in the original bottle. I carry all that on with me.

TSA could not care less as they are looking for explosives and sharp objects (and water), not if pills are in any type of container.

I have never had a problem with pills not in original containers while traveling domestically or internationally by air or on a cruise ship.

There are several countries that do say pills must be in their original contains. The one time I traveled to a country with a rule like that they never looked at my medicines when entering the country.

This is one of those that people do it differently so you won't get one answer.

It also depends where you are going as some countries should you be flying require it to be in original bottles.

Suggestion. Go to your pharmacist and have them give you small bottles with your RX labels attached for them.

Keith

From the TSA website:

TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/09/tsa-travel-tips-tuesday-traveling-with.html

And from the US State Department's website covering foreign country requirements since TSA has no standing overseas (http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/go/checklist.html):

If you take prescription medication:

• Pack enough to last your entire trip, including some extra in case you are unexpectedly delayed.
  • Carry your medications in their original labeled containers, and pack them in your carry-on bag since checked baggage is occasionally lost or delayed.
  • Ask your pharmacy or physician for the generic equivalent name of your prescriptions in case you need to purchase additional medication abroad.
  • Get a letter from your physician in case you are questioned about your carry-on medication; some countries have strict restrictions on bringing prescription or even non-prescription medications into the country without proper medical documentation.

Unfortunately there is no link to which countries have strict restrictions.

In my own personal experience I had a German security officer in the Munich airport want to open my 7 day pill container to check the pills - she was surprised to discover my earrings; the pills were in the original containers and she didn't check them.

You are going to get "yes" answers and "no" answers.

We have cruised to many countries, flown into many international airports, have been randomly searched by customs in Caribbean and in US and never had a problem. We do not use original pill containers but we do put each day's pills into its own small 3x2" ziplock baggie since there are so many daily pills.

One thing for sure, no matter what you decide to do, carry a copy of the Rx's with you. The pharmacy can give you that if an extra isn't included with your bottle.

If any of the pills are Rx pain pills I would leave those in the original bottle.

Normally I would say no, BUT if any are Scheduled Narcotics (and if they are you know exactly what the term means) then find out if it's even legal to take them into any country you plan to enter. There are some US prescription drugs that are not legal even if you have a legal US prescription. An example would be for Japan and drugs for ADD.

If you out your pills in a travel case/pill box as most people do, just have copies of all prescriptions with you.

Never been asked but there is always a first time!

I follow the same procedures as sail7seas does. Never had TSA or cruise security question me.

I definitely do not follow the same procedures as sail7seas in that I always take my medications in one month daily compartmentalized plastic pill holders. I also have never had TSA or cruise security question me.

Scott & Karen

Only if it is a narcotic. You absolutely cannot carry those in anything but it's own prescription bottle.

I have not been hassled about pills, but I have been hassled by the Smurfs in Blue (TSA) about my asthma inhaler and my contact lens solution. Inhalers have the RX label on the box, not on the inhaler as the inhaler comes sealed until the user breaks the sealed baggie inside the box. THEN, I cut the RX label off of the box and carried it with me. I got hassled about that - the idiot in Blue said it had to be the ENTIRE BOX, not a cutout. So, I keep the box at home and when I travel, I have it all folded up so that I may present it to whoever wants it.

When I used contacts, I used Clear Care solution per my optometrist. It has a high percentage of peroxide in it. I always start a trip with a new, sealed bottle (I'll discard it when I'm at the end of my trip). I always declared it, but sometimes the Smurfs would still require me to "voluntarily" discard it with the other "hazardous" bottles of water, lotion, etc., because the peroxide would cause those magic test strips to react…

You may do hundreds of passages and trips through the Customs and a country's security people and not have an issue. But, it's that one time...

Edited by slidergirl

The security person at the Fairbanks airport checked my 7 day pill container against my prescription bottles.

What security person??? TSA ????

Never ever ever in 40 yrs had anyone, customs or any other agency look at a pill holder....

Security????? Which or were you flying into one of the native villages where alcohols is illegal??? Then that is a very unique circumstance in protecting the native population up there.

Note: I am from Alaska

The point is just because it hasn't happened to you "YET" does not mean it does not happen. When people report what has happened to them regarding their meds it is no less valid than those reporting in all their many trips nothing has happened to them, "YET".

The point is just because it hasn't happened to you "YET" does not mean it does not happen. When people report what has happened to them regarding their meds it is no less valid than those reporting in all their many trips nothing has happened to them, "YET".

Actually this comment caught my attention because Fairbanks is my neck of the woods.

Very small airport and this stmt seemed odd unless they are headed north where the villages are regulated....

I agree and certainly have my prescriptions with me (just in case) but wondering what in heavens name and who, knowing Fairbanks it made no sense to me.