Post Office

WISH84

Happy Cruising everyone. Hoping my seasoned B2B cruisers and help me out with a question.

We will be in FLL on Sunday before taking off on our second leg of our first B2B. We've purchased Christmas gifts for everyone back home and now I'm wondering what's the best way to get this stuff home to Iowa.

Should we get off the ship in FLL and mail a care package home or, with 10 hours in St. Thomas, is there a Post Office near the pier we could do that as well.

Open to any and all suggestions (other than pack it in your luggage. [emoji6])

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would not trust the Post Office with anything you value. I would hand carry them or use FedEx.

I would disagree. I feel that the U.S. Postal Service does and outstanding job and has very reasonable prices.

On your turnaround day in FLL, you will not be allowed to take anything off the ship. Although you will have to get off to zero down the ship, and go through immigration, you are not going through customs until the end of your cruise(s). Not even dirty laundry. So plan your shopping accordingly, knowing that you will a) not be allowed to mail them home from FLL so that you won't have to carry them home on the plane; b) Anything you mail from a Caribbean port will likely not arrive until Valentines Day. EM

On your turnaround day in FLL, you will not be allowed to take anything off the ship.

Why would this be the case ? Especially if what was talked about on another thread is true - that you can disembark on your own, you don't have to be with the "group". You could walk off with the rest of the pax with luggage stuffed with gifts. Walk to the UPS store (there is one near the port), send the gits home, come back and hand off your luggage to the porters then embark again as a transient pax.

People on B2Bs get off the ship to go to the beach, shopping, or other excursions in Port Everglades so you should be able to do this. However, you should probably speak to the CSRs at the Passenger Services desk and tell them what you intend to do just to see if they have any additional advice for you.

As for St. Thomas, I have never mailed packages from there. However, I have mailed postcards from their PO in Charlotte Amalie and both times they beat us home. For us at least the service was quite speedy.

Happy Cruising everyone. Hoping my seasoned B2B cruisers and help me out with a question.

We will be in FLL on Sunday before taking off on our second leg of our first B2B. We've purchased Christmas gifts for everyone back home and now I'm wondering what's the best way to get this stuff home to Iowa.

Should we get off the ship in FLL and mail a care package home or, with 10 hours in St. Thomas, is there a Post Office near the pier we could do that as well.

Thanks in advance!!

In Ft. Lauderdale there is a U.S. Post Office on SE 17th St behind the Bravo Restaurant. This is within walking distance from pier two.

There is also a UPS store on SE 17th St. near Federal Blvd. This is a longer walk. The UPS store can assist in packing. If you decide to ship in Ft. Lauderdale just complete the U.S. Customs form and bring it with you as you exit the pier. This isn't a problem as long as you don't exceed your total dollar limits combined for turn around day plus final disembarkation day.

In St. Thomas there is a post office on the main rd. into town, Veterans Blvd. It is across the street from the school, not too far from the Crown Bay docks. There is also a Post Office in the downtown area.

You might also wish to look at mailstop, http://www.mailstopvi.com/. They have a location right at Crown Bay.

If you ship or mail anything from outside the U.S. be sure to place U.S.A. in the address.

I would disagree. I feel that the U.S. Postal Service does and outstanding job and has very reasonable prices.

I agree they have fairly decent prices but the outstanding job part.... lol I haven't had that experience at all. I won't bore people with true stories about their incompetence and lack of professionalism. When there's a problem they just shrug their shoulders..... they can't be fired.

Use the Post Office for valuables at your own peril.

GThere is a large Post Office in C harlotte A,mali,eSt. Thomas. It i s located at the start of Main stStreet. behind little Switzerland just up form the Flea Market

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks in advance!!

If you are docking at Havensight in STT there is a post office at the port. I would not mail packages from there due to cost.

In FLL you need to find a place that is open to ship your packages back. Do a search for a UPS store, or a FedEx Express that is open on Sunday. if you can't find one your best option is to keep it with you and carry the stuff back home.

On your turnaround day in FLL, you will not be allowed to take anything off the ship. Although you will have to get off to zero down the ship, and go through immigration, you are not going through customs until the end of your cruise(s). Not even dirty laundry. So plan your shopping accordingly, knowing that you will a) not be allowed to mail them home from FLL so that you won't have to carry them home on the plane; b) Anything you mail from a Caribbean port will likely not arrive until Valentines Day. EM

This is completely incorrect. You just have to clear customs if you want to take stuff off the ship.

I agree they have fairly decent prices but the outstanding job part.... lol I haven't had that experience at all. I won't bore people with true stories about their incompetence and lack of professionalism. When there's a problem they just shrug their shoulders..... they can't be fired.

Use the Post Office for valuables at your own peril.

As a Federal Employee, I take extreme offense to your statements. You cannot paint an entire organization as incompetent and unprofessional based upon a few instances, by a few employees. And the statement about them not being able to be fired is just flat WRONG. Federal employees can be fired, for many reasons. It is just a little more complicated than your boss walking into your office and saying "You're Fired!", about the same as any union job.

Back to the OPs question, you won't find a post office open on Sunday, I would check the UPS Store's hours online, which may be extended due to the holiday season. Good luck, have a great cruise!

As a Federal Employee, I take extreme offense to your statements. You cannot paint an entire organization as incompetent and unprofessional based upon a few instances, by a few employees. And the statement about them not being able to be fired is just flat WRONG. Federal employees can be fired, for many reasons. It is just a little more complicated than your boss walking into your office and saying "You're Fired!", about the same as any union job.

Back to the OPs question, you won't find a post office open on Sunday, I would check the UPS Store's hours online, which may be extended due to the holiday season. Good luck, have a great cruise!

Hi

Well...you know how it is. This is the internet, and you aren't a real person.

After all, it's just their opinion. I guess that makes it OK. Very common these days.

there are a few in every bunch

hope you have a good day

We will be in FLL on Sunday before taking off on our second leg of our first B2B.

There is a post office on Federal Highway, south of 17th Street,

about 1.5 miles from the port. It is closed on Sunday.

There is a postal store on SE 17th Street, about 1/2 mile from

the port. It is closed on Sunday.

There is a post office in Havensite.

The is a post office 'downtown' in Charlotte Amalie.

There is a post office on the main road from Crown Bay to 'downtown'.

It is a very long walk from Crown Bay.

Thanks everyone for your help. We checked with Passengers Services and the only thing we can't take off the ship is alcohol.

There is a UPS Store on 17th Street open on Sundays and I've made contact with them on what we want to do.

All is good and I appreciate ya'lls assistance!!

I would not trust the Post Office with anything you value. I would hand carry them or use FedEx.

I would not go this far, but do agree the USPS is not what it use to be....even with tracking and priorty... it will get there eventually but not when they tell it will... I now mail packages and cards a week before I would have normally in the past.

If you use Post Office, you can mail your things with insurance, just a couple of dollars for the peace of mind.

On Sundays Post Offices are usually closed, Google the airport to see if there is one opened, also Google USPS to see if any Post Office is opened on Sunday. I know in San Francisco we have 3 opened, one of them at SFO airport.

For packages I use Priority Flat Rate boxes from USPS quite regularly and I have not had a parcel get lost or arrive late in YEARS.

10 years ago I told people use USPS Priority cuz it will always be late and you can get your $$ back ..... NOT TODAY. This is my shipping method of choice both when I send and when I order on line. Tracking and insurance included in the fee. This is how the passport agency ships your new passport. Some versions of FEDEX and UPS turn over the item to USPS for final delivery!

If I was in your position I'd think about picking up a few (free) flat rate boxes and buying the flat rate postage and asking the ship at the end of part 1 if they could just put the items in the outgoing mail .... they just give this to the shore staff who gives it to the post office the next business day ....

(flat rate priority boxes are only cost effective if you "load 'em up" ..... there is no weight limit <allegedly> and I've gotten a medium box up to 20 pounds ..... but for light items not a great deal)

On your turnaround day in FLL, you will not be allowed to take anything off the ship. Although you will have to get off to zero down the ship, and go through immigration, you are not going through customs until the end of your cr

Onuise(s). Not even dirty laundry. So plan your shopping accordingly, knowing that you will a) not be allowed to mail them home from FLL so that you won't have to carry them home on the plane; b) Anything you mail from a Caribbean port will likely not arrive until Valentines Day. EM

One of our b-tob's in FLL, we left the ship togo to a nearby hotel, sit at their pool and have lunch. they know us well so we expected to be welcomed and were. When we were ready to leave the terminal. a customs agent saw I was carrying a HAL tote bag. aLL IT contain3ed was, SUN LOTION, A HAIRBRUSH AND Apapaperback BOOK. He took a fast look saw what I was carrying and said fine. He was quite clear if I had ANYTHING vaLUABLE or tHAT WOULD REQUIRE declaration, i would not haVe bEEN permited but he was fine with the few things I had q WHICH obviously ERE for usethat day sitting in theFlorida sun shine. :) I did not even bring a towel as I KNEW WE could get towels AT THE hotel.

For those that need first hand stories to believe our experiences, there you go. :)anecdotal.

Edited by sail7seas