Would you give up your ball games to go on a cruise???

Hflors

Here is the back ground. We gave up a cruise booked for next year because of some unexpected expenses. So we then came into a little bit of unexpected money. (this all happened with in a month of each other) so dh says we can book a "cheap" cruise. So I look on line. Well the best time to book a "cheap" cruise is right before christmas. I find two cruises and tell dh about the great deals, the dates etc and all is honky dory. I am getting ready to book (as final payment was the next day for one of them) and we were kind of batting two cruises back and forth dates length, just general conversation when my dh turns to me and says. "Now what are those dates again?" So I repeat the dates and start to go over the itinaries when he says. "We can't go on a cruise in December. Its footbal season!" Honest to God I thought he was pulling my leg. I just looked at him and said. "Are you kidding me? You won't take a cruise in December because its footaball season?" Well he is deadly serious. He says we can go after December 28th when the season is over! Talk about being put in second place in your husband's affections.

So that folks is where we stand. dH thinks if we wait until the end of December that we will be able to get a "good deal" on a cruise in January! I told him we will need to pay at least three times the price of a cruise in December.

My question is. Would you stay home from a cruise because of a foot ball game?

Oh one last thing. We would be cruising on my birthday and our Anniversary if we went in December.

Although we've never actually not taken a cruise because of football, it is a factor for my husband. We almost always cruise in early December for the great prices, which often means being gone when the conference championship occurs--Nebraska is often playing for conference champs, and it is important to him--me too, but not as much.

Sometimes we are just lucky to find a cruise that doesn't leave before the game, sometimes we've been able to watch it on board, sometimes we just miss it.

At least it's usually only one game (and the Huskers don't always make it), not all football! He's not into NFL so much. I agree that it's kind of a silly reason not to cruise, but everyone has their own priorities. Hey, here in Nebraska sometimes weddings are planned around Husker football!

You can often find good prices in January after the Christmas holidays; maybe not as good as December before Christmas, but still good.

DH watches sports all day every day..loves football..but no..he would not give up a cruise because of a game. He would go on a cruise during superbowl.

if it was our anniversary and my birthday..he would just say perfect..Good Luck!!

I guess it depends on whether you have actual tickets, or just watch it on the television!

We've never been unable to find football or baseball games on a cruise ship bar television. He can make a lot of new friends, too. Take the cruise!

Although we've never actually not taken a cruise because of football, it is a factor for my husband. We almost always cruise in early December for the great prices, which often means being gone when the conference championship occurs--Nebraska is often playing for conference champs, and it is important to him--me too, but not as much.

Sometimes we are just lucky to find a cruise that doesn't leave before the game, sometimes we've been able to watch it on board, sometimes we just miss it.

At least it's usually only one game (and the Huskers don't always make it), not all football! He's not into NFL so much. I agree that it's kind of a silly reason not to cruise, but everyone has their own priorities. Hey, here in Nebraska sometimes weddings are planned around Husker football!

You can often find good prices in January after the Christmas holidays; maybe not as good as December before Christmas, but still good.

Never mind weddings....I went to a wake planned around the Super Bowl ..

Quite a few years ago my buddy's dad died a few days before Super Bowl Sunday. The whole family were die hard football fans . They always threw a huge Super Bowl party.

The father suffered a long debilitating illness and that last week he took a bad turn for the worse and it was any time now. They had the party already booked and planned and catered. The father told them all carry on with the party. If he was still around great ....If he wasn't , he would rather have that as his wake than 4 hours in a funeral home with his family being told 1000 times "He's in a better place"

Sadly he died Thurday night. They actually instructed mourners in the obituary to come to the house Sunday afternoon. And Monday morning they had small service for the immediate family and buried him

It was actually a really good time , and Dad's team actually won. :) so he went out smiling.

Edited by babyher

You do not have to book by final payment. In fact, the day before final payment is probably the worst day to book. The price often goes down 2-3 weeks after final payment. As you get closer to the cruise if there is still availability the price may go down even more. Many people would love to take advantage of the deals but they cannot because they have to fly in but I see you live in Florida. Since you have 2 cruises in mind, there is even more possibility of an after final payment deal. If you post the ship and date information, someone who is better at this than I am may be able to tell you the cabin availability. People might even remember if these cruises went onto the last minute deals list last year. And even if these specific cruises do not go down to rock bottom prices I would guess that some cruise out of Port Canaveral or Ft Lauderdale on some cruise line will come down to rock bottom prices.

There is a reason these December cruises are less expensive and that is because of football games, holiday shopping and preparations, and office holiday parties.

I hate to go against what others have said, but when we decide when we are going to take a cruise we look at all the other entertainment we have and we decide the best weeks. For us my DH does not like to cruise between June and September because that is golf weather here in the Northeast. So we do not even look at these months. There is often a good bargain, but we just skip it. It may seem silly to you, but he would rather play golf than take a cruise. Your husband is looking forward to the football games and would rather watch the football games then take a cruise. I get it.

Since money is an important issue to you, I would wait and see if the price comes down even lower. If not, o well, you can use this in your emergency fund so that the next time if you have unexpected expenses you do not have to cancel your cruise. Your husband will be pleased either way. You have saved the money and he can enjoy his football games or you can save money until the price has come down so low that even he can't refuse. Either way, it is not like he is saying he wants to use the money to buy tickets to a football game. You will get your cruise sooner or later. If the super bargain cruise does not come through for December, you will be within final payment for that January cruise, so you may be able to catch a bargain for January.

Oops, I though I saw you lived in Cape Canaveral but I see you live in Cape Coral. I have no idea where that is and what port is closest to you.

Edited by EGG

Here is the back ground. We gave up a cruise booked for next year because of some unexpected expenses. So we then came into a little bit of unexpected money. (this all happened with in a month of each other) so dh says we can book a "cheap" cruise. So I look on line. Well the best time to book a "cheap" cruise is right before christmas. I find two cruises and tell dh about the great deals, the dates etc and all is honky dory. I am getting ready to book (as final payment was the next day for one of them) and we were kind of batting two cruises back and forth dates length, just general conversation when my dh turns to me and says. "Now what are those dates again?" So I repeat the dates and start to go over the itinaries when he says. "We can't go on a cruise in December. Its footbal season!" Honest to God I thought he was pulling my leg. I just looked at him and said. "Are you kidding me? You won't take a cruise in December because its footaball season?" Well he is deadly serious. He says we can go after December 28th when the season is over! Talk about being put in second place in your husband's affections.

So that folks is where we stand. dH thinks if we wait until the end of December that we will be able to get a "good deal" on a cruise in January! I told him we will need to pay at least three times the price of a cruise in December.

Oh one last thing. We would be cruising on my birthday and our Anniversary if we went in December.

We booked a cruise last year and they had the game on the outdoor huge screen. The bar was open and it was a big game watching party! Lots of cheering! Dear Hubby... GO on the cruise!

I am a a really big fan of my football team. Twice in the last month I have missed two of my Sunday games because DW wanted to see her favorite baseball team play at the stadium. I DVR'd the football games and watched them when I got home. Not really that big of the deal and it kept the wife happy.

Absolutely not!!!! I would never consider a sporting event more important than taking a cruise - or any vacation, for that matter.

Being a fellow Husker I know how important football is to us. If the only time I could get off for a cruise is during football season I'd go for the cruise. Yes I HAD to plan my 1st wedding around the game. LOL :)

I'm rather surprised that the OP's husband wants to cruise in January. If he's such a big football fan, why is he willing to miss the play-offs? I'd rather see a play-off game than a regular season, but I'd still prefer to go on a cruise. No contest!

I was wondering the same thing. I am not sure what kind of football he is interested in. However, December 28 is about when the college bowl games are heating up and the NFL is wrapping up the regular season.

No, I would not give up a cruise for a ball game.

I'm confused. Why wouldn't your husband just stream live games on his IPAD or Android? There's absolutely no need to stay home from anything to watch football with these Aps nowadays. Google how to do it. It is so easy. The ships have WIFI. Given the WIFI is better in the Internet Center than elsewhere on the ship, but still, wanting to watch football should never prevent anyone from taking a vacation.

Edited by SuiteTraveler