Talk me into/out of Guaranteed Balcony upgrade!

MastaBlasta

Spoke with TA - tried to get a room upgrade since prices fell on our Breakaway cruise to Bermuda next week.

We currently have a mid-ship interior room deck 11 and they offered us a guaranteed balcony for $100 more. (BX)

I'm aware of the 4 BX rooms and the potential for obstructed views but has anyone rolled the dice and made it out ok?

We always sail mid-ship, interior so this would be a first if we get a forward outside room. We're not particularly sensitive to motion but I'm sure I'd regret it if we get caught in rough seas.

I hate going against my gut but the upgrade is substantial for $100.

Thoughts?

Look at the worst possible Balcony rooms.

Would you be happy with one of those for the price of the upgrade?

(and do you get any better perks with the upgrade?)

If you would, then roll the dice. Who knows you might do better.

Spoke with TA - tried to get a room upgrade since prices fell on our Breakaway cruise to Bermuda next week.

We currently have a mid-ship interior room deck 11 and they offered us a guaranteed balcony for $100 more. (BX)

I'm aware of the 4 BX rooms and the potential for obstructed views but has anyone rolled the dice and made it out ok?

We always sail mid-ship, interior so this would be a first if we get a forward outside room. We're not particularly sensitive to motion but I'm sure I'd regret it if we get caught in rough seas.

Thoughts?

I'd do that deal.

Balcony don't really have bad cabins like interiors do .

Not much risk for short money. :cool:

First of all, in my opinion, any balcony cabin, whether obstructed or not, would be worth the $100 to move up from an interior cabin.

The odds are you will get a cabin assignment that you will be very happy with. I wouldn't worry about being forward or aft. The ships are so big and well stabilized that it is unlikely you will be affected.

We have purchased a balcony guarantee several times and have never been disappointed. The fresh air is wonderful.

Have a wonderful cruise whatever you decide.

Well, the Balcony Guarantee is officially confirmed! TA said it may take 24hrs to produce the cabin number but they're usually pretty quick. It should show up on MyNCL first so I'll be hitting the refresh button a lot in the next day or two.

Next post will have cabin #!

Edited by MastaBlasta

There aren't many (or really...any?) bad balconies on the Breakaway, and having your own private place to retreat to is invaluable, especially on a bigger ship. I think you'll find it to be $100 well spent. Enjoy the cruise!

Thoughts?

Haven't you already answered your own question?

Just add our 2 cents - give yourself a high 5.

Bermuda, next week - for 2 and a half days while at Dockyard, you can open that sliding door (remember to use the locking latch) and sit on that balcony & enjoy the view, regardless of which way it is docked & which way you are facing.

You get more space in the cabin, a single-cup hot water/coffee maker, and, more storage (not that you need it for 7 nights) plus the biggest bonus, a full size soda to sit back & relax (or, take a nap) plus use of bathrobes (should be hanging in the closet, waiting for you - if not, ask RS for them)

We're upgraded to a very, very forward balcony on the BA (starboard side) and if you aren't prone to motion, even 15' waves aren't going to be a problem. Assuming that you are fully done with OLCI already, you should get the new stateroom assignment in a day or two - keep checking that MyNCL page for updates every few hours, then print out the new confirmation & new luggage tags.

Thoughts?

GREAT DEAL.

Take it.

Difference between a midship interior and guaranteed balcony is HUGE.

Once you sail in a balcony room, you won't want to go back to an interior. I know that I was a convert.

There aren't bad balcony rooms on the ship, from what I've seen, unless you are super-sensitive to motion (front) or vibration (back) -- because you'll likely get way forward or way aft.

I took a BX on last year's Alaska cruise on the Sun, and I was very happy with it.

Drum roll please............

BB Balcony Room 8762! Mid-Ship!

All things considered, for $100 I'm VERY pleased.

Our room is 10 spots down from where this picture was taken: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1iAuscDziEXlBJpzXT8eDPwMSLYp6wjaH02-FSxCCPSU/pub?start=true&loop=true&delayms=5000&slide=id.ge0d8fe37_2_9

We're basically looking out over that crane, not much going on the deck below us either. We're used to Wildwood motels and the like so we're not snobby about people being about to look at us, which probably won't be much.

The location is central to just about everything - it's nice knowing the room is never going to feel like a mile away.

We could've been screwed being placed near the Waterfront but luck was on my side for once.

This feels like a big win, especially since this room typically hovers around $1100/pp!

This is a big boost of excitement as we're just 5 days away!

Edited by MastaBlasta

Drum roll please............

BB Balcony Room 8762! Mid-Ship!

All things considered, for $100 I'm VERY pleased.

Our room is 10 spots down from where this picture was taken: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1iAuscDziEXlBJpzXT8eDPwMSLYp6wjaH02-FSxCCPSU/pub?start=true&loop=true&delayms=5000&slide=id.ge0d8fe37_2_9

We're basically looking out over that crane, not much going on the deck below us either. We're used to Wildwood motels and the like so we're not snobby about people being about to look at us, which probably won't be much.

The location is central to just about everything - it's nice knowing the room is never going to feel like a mile away.

We could've been screwed being placed near the Waterfront but luck was on my side for once.

This feels like a big win, especially since this room typically hovers around $1100/pp!

This is a big boost of excitement as we're just 5 days away!

Congratulations :D:):cool: