New York

brian_uk

The Marriott Marquis is well located if your interests center on Broadway performances. But, being in Times Square there are crowds in that area.

But, there are many hotel choices in Midtown Manhattan. A bit further east may be less crowded if that is an issue for you.

There is a brand new Hilton Garden Inn on 54th St between 7th & 8th Aves. If you put the code 2669220 into the corporate discount box (not the regular discount box), there are some great rates. We're paying $159 for May 2-5, a fabulous price for NYC.

Leaving cruise in May in New York and currently booked at Marriott Marquis. Have read very mixed reports on location and noise.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a similar location and standard.

Brian

Let me make the case against changing your plans, Brian, as I believe that you've made a fairly informed choice to begin with, particularly for a pre-cruise stay.

Because the Marriott Marquis is one of the only midtown Manhattan hotels with a true "off the street" auto-court,

11pg-horizontal.jpg it makes for a terrific base from which to leave for a cruise, particularly if you travel with a significant amount of luggage (as we do).

nycmq_phototour68.jpg?Log=1nycmq_phototour80.jpg?Log=1

The rooms at the Marquis are quite large by New York standards, and because the building is fairly new, all rooms are of a uniform standard, although the views are not. Guest Rooms are all high enough above street level that none of them are affected by city noises.

Almost anyone would be willing to walk to 75% of all Broadway theaters from the Marquis, it really is centrally located.

The revolving rooftop restaurant atop the Marquis, is appropriately called THE VIEW, and although it is somewhat undistinguished from a culinary point of view, it is also at this moment the most spectacular way to see the entire New York City Skyline. We never sail from NYC without at least toasting our ship from this vantage point. The views of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, and the bulk of New York Harbor are incomparable.

You will literally have the Marina "at your feet".

windows-on-the-world.jpgBuildings_Seen_from_The_View_Revolving_Restaurant_Marriott_New_York.png

Edited by JimandStan

I live in Manhattan and Times Square is by far the worst area in the city. It is "tourist central" and full of junk shops and crappy chain restaurants. This is the part of the city that no New Yorker will visit. Do yourself a favor and stay at a hotel in another area. There are wonderful hotels near Central Park as well as Gramercy, West Greenwich Village and even midtown. It's so much more of a treat to see the city where the tourists don't go. You will appreciate it so much more!

Edited by JVNYC

to JimandStan

We actually get off the Ship in New York having cruised from Lima but I guess this really makes no difference either way. I note the advantages mentioned by you.

Funny how it is in total opposition to JVNYC who refers to the area as a tourist trap.

This is not our first trip to New York having previously stayed at the Sofitel and the Hilton among other hotels.

Any specific suggestions would be welcome as I am not familiar with Grammercy or SoHo for example as locations.

Brian

I think this is somewhat like the discussion about London locations.

What are you interested in doing in NYC? What do you want to be near/within walking distance? You can get a cab or subway to go anywhere, but what do you want to be close to for most of your activities (theater, museums, park, etc)?

Paul

If JVNYC were giving advice about buying an apartment in New York then I would agree wholeheartedly with his advice, or if you were intending to stay in the city for an extended period, I would also agree that the Times Square area might prove too enervating.

During a short stay, however, one might find the hustle and bustle of Times Square invigorating, the plethora of "crappy chain restaurants" may become "a number of opportunities for inexpensive breakfasts and lunches", and I'm sorry but nothing trumps staying at the Marquis if you're a Theater nut. The TKTS booth, is just outside the lobby, and if the Curtain comes down on your show at 11PM, you can be tucked in bed by 11:20!

manhattan-neighborhood-map.jpg This overview of Manhattan neighborhoods may come in handy during your visit, or for choosing a hotel.

map_timesquare.gif

As may this map of Attractions in the Times Square Area.

Edited by JimandStan

We can highly recommend The London . We have been staying there since it's opening originally as the Rega Royal. It's all suites so you and your luggage will have room and has a great restaurant. You will, however, not get it for a very cheap rate but it's worth the price IMHO.

There is no right answer to this. Yes, the Marriott Marquis has a great location for attending the theater but in the end it's a Marriott and a behemoth. Enough said. I personally would rather walk a bit to get to the theater and come back to a nicer hotel. I recommend checking out the new Viceroy on 57th between 6th and 7th. Great location. Great service. Great ambience. You can shoot down Broadway in ten minutes or less and be at any theater. Or you're steps from the park and the East side. And if Lincoln Center is in your plans you are much closer.

As a theater fanatic who visits New York two or three times yearly, the Marriott would not be my favourite choice. The line-ups for elevators can be crazy and for some, the walking distance from the elevators can be excessive as the rooms are arranged around one of the largest atriums in the world. It really is a monster convention hotel.

I really like the Michelangelo a few blocks away from Times Square. A quieter location but a five minute walk to Broadway theaters. The decor is very traditional but it is a very comfortable and elegant hotel. The Sofitel where you have stayed is also a great choice and the previously mentioned London is also solid.

I personally usually stay at the Doubletree Suites in Times Square as all of the rooms are small suites with a separate living room and bed room but the hotel is becoming a bit tired.

Edited by Dr. Cocktail

We stayed at Le Parker Meridien for a few days in June 2013 and found it a great place to stay in terms of easy walking distance to Central Park, Times Square and theatre district, Lincoln Center, 5th Avenue and MoMA. Our room was really comfortable, clean and quiet with amazing view of Central Park. It is also just round the corner from Carnegie Hall and the Carnegie Deli.

:)

I have been traveling for 30+ years Kuala Lumpur to Istanbul... and It did not take long to realize Marriott's were always the best choice for quality service and reliability and value .

Hey, I sleep at home on a Marriott bed if that tells you something.

Local or world wide you can not go wrong..... I wont stay at any other un less there is no Marriott.... boutique hotels are cute but terribly inconsistent place to place.. I want comfort not cute when I stay

Any suggestion for an hotel closed to the Metropolitan Museum of ART and the

MoMa?

Merci

If you're flush (and this place is worth the splurge), the St. Regis is at 55th and 5th. In the same vein, but slightly less dear, the Peninsula is at 55th and 7th. Both are World Class properties, and absolutely top of the line, but so are the prices.

http://www.stregisnewyork.com/?PS=LGEN_AA_DNAD_CGGL_TPRP

http://www.magellanluxuryhotels.com/new-york-city/peninsula-hotel-new-york/?pk_campaign=Google-ppc-g-NY_HOTELS2-NY_HOTELS2_PENINSULANY_EXA_peninsula_hotel_nyc-35329206362-peninsula%20hotel%20nyc-e-1t1-&gclid=CO3ZtqiIkLwCFUMV7Aod838ARw

If budget is a concern , two business oriented hotels have opened fairly recently on 51st street between 5th and 6th Avenues:

http://clubquarters.com/new-york-rockefeller-center

http://www.thejewelny.com/?gclid=CPygiY2GkLwCFYw7OgodFFIAbQ

We've had clients stay in both and they are simple but satisfactory. Their proximity to the 6th Avenue Subway Lines (via Rockefeller Center) can be a boon to getting all around Manhattan.

I am at the marriott east side right now for 12 days. 49th and lex. It is my hotel of choice when in ny. Executive lounge is terrific. Location perfect with tons of restaurants and shopping nearby. You can walk to theatre district

I am a native New Yorker who now travels to ny on business. I think this hotel is a great choice

I am a native NYer, now living in SOCAL. When we return "home" to NY, our hotel of choice is The Barclay (InternContinental Hotels Group property). It's located on Park Ave. and 48th St, on the East side . Love the location, service and property. NY is great for walking and public transport is a breeze. IMHO, the Times Square/Broadway areas are the last places I'd suggest staying. It's insanity.

Edited by nyfeds

As a pair of former New Yorkers who now visit for special events, we also like the Marriot East Side. I am a member of a club on sixtieth between Park and Madison and my husband is an auction fan. This hotel is close to both. It doesn't hurt that the Marriot Card adds benefits. Plenty of restaurants that will please O's passengers are nearby, another plus. No matter where you stay, have a great time. We always love to visit, especially since we know that we will be returning to South Beach.

Mary

I am a native NYer, now living in SOCAL. When we return "home" to NY, our hotel of choice is The Barclay (InternContinental Hotels Group property). It's located on Park Ave. and 48th St, on the East side . Love the location, service and property. NY is great for walking and public transport is a breeze. IMHO, the Times Square/Broadway areas are the last places I'd suggest staying. It's insanity.

One block from marriott

We both choose the same neighborhood !!!

Agree that Times Square is not the place to stay

One block from marriott

We both choose the same neighborhood !!!

Agree that Times Square is not the place to stay

Yes, we did choose the same neighborhood! Love that neighborhood.

I am retired from InterContinental Hotels Group, so I am quite partial to IHG properties for a variety of reasons. While I have many IHG properties from which to choose in the City, The Barclay always aims to please and its location is superb!

Edited by nyfeds