Balcony vs. Inside Alaska in September

Buzz12607

My wife and I are new comers to this. Due to schedule constraints and the fact that Alaska is our only choice, my question is this:

Does the Alaskan weather in mid to late September dictate that a balcony might be too chilly to really enjoy for the $ that's being spent? Would an inside cabin be a better deal because of the weather? I fail to see the purpose of an ocean view. To me, it's either the bargain or the balcony. But, then again, I'm a first timer. What do I know?

Thanks for any help and I'm sure we'll be posting again.

There is no middle path in this controversy. I am one who doesn't see the value in a balcony. If you have signatures turned on, yu can see that I have stayed everywhere but a suite. We find that a balcony is a nice option, but we spend so little time on it that it isn't worth the expense. I have done Alaska twice, two weeks at a time, in an inside cabin. I don't feel I missed anything. The views/wildlife will be all around the ship, not just ob the side where your balcony would be. Weather can be variable, but likely to be cooler than comfortable for sitting out on a balcony in late Sept. Visit the Alaska board here at CC, under Ports of Call, and there is an ongoing thread about this. If you like active excursions, they can be very pricey in Alaska. think about what more you could spend on tours if you booked an inside. EM

Having done all three, inside, outside and balcony, we generally go for the outside. I, personally, like the natural light, especially in the morning; my wife not as much. We have booked balconies but seldom use the balcony with so much else to do on board.

Several years ago we booked a June Baltic cruise that sailed through some great areas in Norway and Sweden. We went for a balcony because of the scenery and the anticipated nice weather. We found that the balcony was unsatisfactory because limited our view to just the one side and we missed the expansive feel of seeing everything from the open deck. We agreed that, unless there was no significant price advantage (i.e., if a balcony cost just a tad more than an outside) we would stick with outside.

One caution, however. Different lines have different offerings. HAL's "verandas" (balconies) are essentially the same size cabins as their "ocean view" cabins so the balcony becomes extra space if that's important. Princess, on the other hand, has some ships with balcony cabins where the cabin square footage including balcony is the same as outside cabins because the balcony is "carved out" of the standard floor plan.

In essence I agree with what Essiesmom says. The wide open spaces on the top deck is a marvelous viewing venue for an Alaska trip. (Don't forget the gorgeous sunsets. If you are on the wrong side you will not see the really spectacular sunsets.) And if the weather turns cold and/or rainy, which it likely will be for at least a day or two, the outside cabin is a good place to get cozy but still see the landscape.

It's truly a matter of preference. I love a balcony on cold weather cruises. A steaming cup of coffee or cocoa enjoyed outside in crisp chilly air while bundled up -- count me in. (I had coffee on the balcony in Antarctica.) However, you can get days of rainy weather in Alaska -- then a balcony becomes superfluous.

You can have great viewing on outside decks - you wouldn't be limited to balcony perspective.

Some people appreciate inside cabins, mostly because they are only in the cabin to shower, change and sleep. I would be claustrophobic. Again, just preference, nothing "wrong" with either choice.

My first time on Alaskan cruise I had an oceanview cabin. I felt I missed a lot by not getting out on a balcony to see around me, not just straight out. I cannot do an inside even for a short cruise because of the darkness. My second Alaska cruise was a balcony and I enjoyed it much more. Even if I was on the 'wrong' side for sunsets, I had lovely views of everything else. On Celebrity and Royal Caribbean ships, the balconies give you more space, almost like

having a second room. One person can be outside while a partner is inside, maybe sleeping, reading or dressing.

I vote for balcony!

My wife and I are new comers to this. Due to schedule constraints and the fact that Alaska is our only choice, my question is this:

Does the Alaskan weather in mid to late September dictate that a balcony might be too chilly to really enjoy for the $ that's being spent? Would an inside cabin be a better deal because of the weather? I fail to see the purpose of an ocean view. To me, it's either the bargain or the balcony. But, then again, I'm a first timer. What do I know?

Here you go..read what the posters ( responders) say, too..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2257005

There is NO nature watching form an inside cabin..ever! You always have to go up on deck to see anything..why not see it from your private verandah?

The advantage of a balcony is it's convenience - it's right by the cabin. You can get better views from the open decks, but you won't have your own chairs and you have further to walk if you want to change your book or get a coat; or want to spend just 5 minutes outside before coming back to get warm. I'm a cold weather person and don't think Alaska in September is cold; coming from Texas, you may disagree! I wouldn't dream of paying balcony prices, because I don't have any psychological issues with being enclosed or in darkness, and walking is no difficulty, and am happy on the open deck. Therefore, for me, there's no benefit to spending that money, or at least not enough benefit to make it worth it. Your call.

When we did our Alaska cruise I scored an aft corner suite and I loved havign the balcony. I could go out and shoot some photos, go back in and warm up at will. We had a mix of beautiful and rainy weather. It was cold as heck but they provided blankets we could cuddle up under as well. It was amazing.

Everyone has different preferences.

As Host Walt mentioned sometimes it is to have natural light. Sometimes one wants some fresh air. Or one wanted to just sit out there while the other person is getting ready.

I think in the end it comes down to your budget, preferences and priorities.

Some will be fine with an inside room with no light. Some are fine with a room with a window and no balcony to get the natural light and some want to be able to get the fresh air and views from outside.

Having sailed Alaska many times my own view is that the best views come from outside the ship on the public decks so you can quickly move from one side of the ship to the other side and so you can get panoramic views.

I also believe that if budget is a consideration that I would use the money to take excursions which I would prioritize over the balcony.

Again, it comes down to personal preferences, and priorities and budget. No right or wrong and you can still have a wonderful time no matter which way you go.

Keith

Unless there is little or no price difference we always book an inside so that we can travel more on the money we have. We made an exception for Alaska and went for an outside cabin and, in that instance, we felt it was completely worth it. We saw several whales that we would have missed if we had been in an inside, some spectacular views as well and it was nice to prop up in bed first thing in the morning and look out.

Don't underestimate the value of an oceanview. The natural light makes a huge difference to the feel of a cabin.

Good choice for your first cruise! Alaska and the Med are two of the best destinations you will find. My wife and I have only done one cruise to Alaska and had booked an oceanview cabin. However, HAL offered us an upgrade for a minimal amount so we ended up with a balcony. We thought we wouldn't use the balcony because of the weather but ended up out there all the time. We sailed on the last trip of the season in mid-September. As we were relative rookies we chose a cruise that took the outside passage so missed out on the better scenery you see going through on the inside. Even so we really enjoyed our balcony and found it great to be able to whip out for a minute or two and check for whales. We had some of the best weather of the season on that cruise according to the captain but it was wicked cold the day we visited the glacier. In fact a winter parka came in handy from time to time if you went out on deck. You seriously will not believe the scenery no matter what weather you get. Don't forget your rain coat!:)

Not sure why you're counting out the ocean view?

On some lines these cabins are slightly larger. They also give natural light, and a view of all the Alaskan beauty without the chill of sitting on the balcony.

Edited by Lerin

We had an ocean view when we went to Alaska. Honestly would I do that again... only if the price was the same as an inside. We have had balcony cabins before but only because we scored a great deal on them... otherwise inside is just fine because you save money. We found so many places to sit, inside and outside that gave us the same view of what people were seeing. Was it nice to look out our window each morning - sure but for us it wasn't a make it or not cabin. If you can afford it go for it. if you are worried about weather go with the inside and then each day find a place to sit and enjoy looking around.

There is just too much to see on an Alaska cruise during daylight hours .

To spend any of that time in a Inside cabin is a waste .

Book the Balcony or at the very least , Oceanview.

However if $$ would keep you from a Balcony or OV , then go for the Inside

vs no cruise at all.

One of the big attractions of Alaska is the scenery. If you are in an inside cabin, then you have to go outside on deck to see what there is to see. If you have a balcony you are always guaranteed a spot at the rail. Of course, if you are on deck, you do have the option to go to the other side of the ship to see what is on the other side. If you are on your balcony you will need to go to the outside deck just like the inside people. You'll have to decide if it is worth the cost.

As to the ocean view. With an ocean view all you have to do is look outside the window to see if it is worth going out on deck to get a good look at the scenery. Again, which cabin you purchase is up to you, I'm not going to do the cost / benefit / financial analysis for you.

Alaska in July can also be too chilly. IMHO the value is very personal, if it takes away from spending money for excursions, some other treat than go inside IMHO.

I've done balcony, view and inside. For some the gotta have the luxury. YOu know a luxury once tasted becomes a necessity.

There is a lot of free balcony space to view the beautiful views.

Everytime I've done view, it was never the view, but more the extra space that I found of value, YMMV.

To us, it's no contest - the balcony every time, every itinerary, any kind of weather. Even if I only go outside for a few minutes in the early morning, at sunset, and a quick look at the stars and/or moon on the water at bedtime, it's worth it. I've stepped outside just in time to see a whale breech right in front of me, to see a rainbow or layers of mist in multiple colors that look like a painting, dolphins following along the ship's wake, or just to admire the incredible power and beauty of the waves. For Alaska especially, there's something unique about the quality of the light that makes for spectacular scenery no matter what the weather. I can't imagine regretting taking the balcony.

Edited by Kartgv

I can't imagine cruising Alaska without a balcony (assuming affordability isn't an issue)! We were on the first May sailing when we went, so similar weather to September, temperature-wise. The only time we "froze" was in Glacier Bay, which is, let's face it, a big icebox, but layers kept us warm, as well as being able to jump in and out of the room.

There is scenery nearly 24/7 on an Alaska cruise.

It's not tropical, but if you dress for it, it's definitely worth it. (What's a little rain?)

DW and my favorite memory of our August Alaska cruise was sitting on our balcony in Glacier Bay watching the Marjerie Glacier calving. We weren't packed on the deck with the rest of the people from the other side of the ship or inside cabins who had no view, but had that leisurely space to ourselves. Yes, it was cold, but nothing a blanket, some hot chocolate, and a warm body next to you couldn't solve :) That 3-4 hour cruise up into Glacier Bay sitting on our balcony was worth the price difference from an inside.

Edited by WEGL81

When we did our Alaska cruise I scored an aft corner suite and I loved havign the balcony. I could go out and shoot some photos, go back in and warm up at will. We had a mix of beautiful and rainy weather. It was cold as heck but they provided blankets we could cuddle up under as well. It was amazing.

We did the same thing. The day we went the the glacier- we were outside from 6:30am to 12:30pm when we exited the Fjord.

I see the point about plenty of outside space or views all over the ship.

The question is- do you want to have the space for you, or share it with everyone.

We wanted to have our space, where we could have a nice slow breakfast while viewing stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for a balcony. DH and I will not cruise without one. Looking forward to our balcony on our upcoming cruise on the Solstice in July of 2015. I know that it may be too cold to sit outside as often as we do on our Carribean cruises. I also know that the views will be better on the outside upper decks. And I do know we may experience rainy days.

If it is cold and rainy we can experience the sites from our balcony where we will have some protection from the rain. Also, a chilly view of the water and the Alaskan scenery, from our own balcony first thing in the morning and the last thing at night is priceless.