Your Opinions please. - as to invitations for travel companions.

sail7seas

as I have mentioned here a few hundred times or so........ Irecently sailed with a girlf riend to Bermuda on Veendam. We each had our own Neptune Suite and that is only pertinent, in that we were not sharing a cabin. We had both of our TA's (Pcc) link our bookings. I am five star and while my g friend has sailed HAL a number off times, she has a diferentf star numberr. I was invited to MAriners Brunch and the Medallion award program prior to brunch. My firiend was not and that not only surprised me but was disappointing. I had hoped we would go together and while I doubt anyone would have turned her away, I would not put us in the position of possible embarrassment. IMO, The ffront office made a bad mistake and I suffered for it. I . would have enjoyed going together but would not show up somewhere that both were not expected. To them, its. a big so what !!! to me it was disappointing, sloppy, careless and unnecesary,. SAMEhholds for a cockgtail party that was held in Crows Nest. Our reservations were linkied, we vvoth were solo in our Neptune Suitews and HAL could spare an exra glass of wine so my f riend and I could go together? Most know here I am not shy, however, I would not say something to them about what I c onsiderered an inappropriate over sight I missesd out on getting the photo at Mariners Award Ceremeony with Captain and HOTel Director. That is always my favorite momento o from all cruises .. I've sailed enough nights, enough ships, enough years on those ships, they could extend a courtesy to me and to my friend who is also a repeater Mariner. If I was invtied to a party, she also should have been. I KNOW what I could have done to correct the mattter but that is humiliating, rude and crass andII should not have had to remedy their sloppiness. IMO They don't give a thought to the acutual persons they dismiss as incidental............ GRM does not seem to pay much attention to social detail. However, though on the ship for a week, I never met, saw, GRM or cruise director. THAT is also a f first for me. nOT impressive

Comments?

I would have just brought her along. Yes, HAL should have done a formal invite however, I have never been asked for an invitation when attending these events. When we got our 500 day Medals we had 6 friends on board and just told them to come and all was good.

HAL has changed the rules as to whom they invite to private cocktail parties. We discovered that on our 2016 Westerdam cruise. Only about 20 of us were invited to the private party in the Crow's Nest.

As to the awards ceremony. It has been about 4 or 5 years since we have been invited up to have lour pictures taken with the captain and hotel director. Instead our names were called out -- days given -- and we just stood up. There were 4 President Club members on our cruise.

There weren't even any pictures taken of people getting their medals -- no photographers in sight.

We haven't gone to the brunch in quite a few years as I do not like being pushed and being hurdled like a pack of animals just to get a table somewhere in the dining room.

I would have quietly asked the Neptune Lounge concierge to handle the oversight in advance of the gathering. Though I'm sure it was unintentional, it is unfortunate that your friend was overlooked even though your reservations were linked.

On my last cruise we had two Mariners luncheons. The friend that was sailing as well was invited for Monday and I was invited for Tuesday. She was also getting a medallion for 100 days before the luncheon. I went to the front desk and asked if I could change to go with her and be her photographer for the medallion ceremony. They were very happy to say yes and encourage me to do so.

As for the Mariners party in the Crows Nest, she went and I didn't. She is three star and I was two star. Didn't matter at all to me, though.

On my last cruise we had two Mariners luncheons. The friend that was sailing as well was invited for Monday and I was invited for Tuesday. She was also getting a medallion for 100 days before the luncheon. I went to the front desk and asked if I could change to go with her and be her photographer for the medallion ceremony. They were very happy to say yes and encourage me to do so.

As for the Mariners party in the Crows Nest, she went and I didn't. She is three star and I was two star. Didn't matter at all to me, though.

I have done the exact same thing. I discovered my friends were getting their medallion at x time and we were invited for x time. I just asked to change (nicely) it was no big deal. I also asked if I could bring someone who wanted to see them get their medallion (nicely), it was no big deal. If they had said no, what will be will be, they said yes, with no problem.

It doesn't cost anything to ask and it can be done nicely, especially in an NS with a concierge. You need to be proactive sometimes (as you were).

the Mariners' party is a different deal of course as you said.

If your friend did not have the status to attend the events, she should not expect to attend. Your status does not matter as she is not a family member sharing your cabin.

You are right as to Medallion ceremnony but not as to Mainer's Brunch. She is at least 4 or 5 stars and doesn't need any sttatus of mine o go to mariner brunch. Yes, I know I could havs gone to concdierge, orr GRM if I chose. but would not do tha.t. She received no brunch invite at all. That is why I say they are sloppy in front office on that ship. She certainly should have been invited to A Mariners Brunch. no two ways about that.

Thanks all for your comments. I appreciate your taking the time and effort. :)

Edited by sail7seas

If your friend did not have the status to attend the events, she should not expect to attend. Your status does not matter as she is not a family member sharing your cabin.
You are right as to Medallion ceremnony but not as to Mainer's Brunch. She is at least 4 or 5 stars and doesn't need any status of mine t o go to mariner brunch. Yes, I know I or she could have gone to concierge, or GRM if either of us chose . but neither of us would n do tha.t. She received no brunch invite at all. That is why I say they are sloppy in front office on that ship. All of you Thanks for your comments. I appreciate your taking the time and effort. :)

"14. Can I extend my benefits (such as the 25% or 50% discount at select food and beverage outlets) to shipmates?

"No. Benefits are intended for the personal use of the applicable guest and those sharing a stateroom with the guest on the same booking number. Not applicable to groups. Holland America Line reserves the right to limit benefits if necessary."

From HAL's Mariner Society FAQ's: https://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action#

Would have been a good idea to talk to the concierge about it.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

Either of us certainly could have but found it distasteful to 'ask for an invitagttion. Rather than be so tacky, I chose to a not attentd any of the events.

Would have been a good idea to talk to the concierge about it.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

Either of us could have but found it very distasteful and preferred to not attend than to be so tacky to ask for an invitation. I went to none of the events. They are in the hospitality business but were not hospitable.

"14. Can I extend my benefits (such as the 25% or 50% discount at select food and beverage outlets) to shipmates?

"No. Benefits are intended for the personal use of the applicable guest and those sharing a stateroom with the guest on the same booking number. Not applicable to groups. Holland America Line reserves the right to limit benefits if necessary."

From HAL's Mariner Society FAQ's: https://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action#

If you wish to take someone to Pinnacle for dinner, you will get your discount for your meal and that of your guests

I would have quietly asked the Neptune Lounge concierge to handle the oversight in advance of the gathering. Though I'm sure it was unintentional, it is unfortunate that your friend was overlooked even though your reservations were linked.

Spot on, lastlook!!!

This post just seems so passive aggressive: harboring ill feelings because you felt it was in bad taste to contact the cruise director. Your girl friend in another cabin was either entitled to an invite or she wasn't; if she wasn't then it is in bad taste for you to bad mouth HAL; if she was there is nothing "tacky" in her asking to get what she earned.

I guess I'm blessed none of this sort matters to me. Once I had a special needs child, such seemed like utter nonsense. Having her on vacation w us is priceless.

We wish you the best.

Mrs. Afeez Usman (Jennifer)

Very often there are so many Mariners on a cruise that more than one luncheon is held. The Mariners with the higher number of days are invited to the medallion ceremony, and the luncheon that follows immediately, while the Mariners with fewer days are invited to a luncheon at a later time.

If people traveling together in different cabins want to attend together, then they just need to speak up and ask that the arrangements be made.

What is a glaring error is when a married couple, sharing a cabin, on the same booking number, aren't invited to the same ceremonies. That happened to my friends recently. He was to be awarded his silver medallion; she had received hers on a prior cruise. She wasn't invited to his presentation ceremony.

This was very easy to resolve when she went to the Front Desk to have it straightened out.

These kinds of mix-ups happen on every ship from time to time; it certainly isn't the first time I have heard of this. But HAL can't correct a mistake if they aren't given the opportunity.

Something is lacking in HAL's procedure, as far as I'm concerned. There should never be a question that two people sharing a cabin should have both included in every invitation issued. I'll be happy if HAL can get that right; including people in different cabins, with different booking numbers is a challenge I wouldn't give them until they master inviting couples.

Very often there are so many Mariners on a cruise that more than one luncheon is held. The Mariners with the higher number of days are invited to the medallion ceremony, and the luncheon that follows immediately, while the Mariners with fewer days are invited to a luncheon at a later time.

That is exactly what happened on our Veendam Bermuda cruise the week before Sail's. One to three star Mariners had their luncheon at approx 11:00 am and the much smaller group's medallion ceremony for four and five stars was at noon followed by the luncheon at 1:00 pm or so. We enjoy going to the ceremony but then always go to lunch in Pinnacle Grill.

I understand your point of view @Sail. I believe that a measure of excellent customer service is that you should not have to ask for anything. Service providers should know and understand their customers so as to anticipate and easily meet their needs. I would have also felt it inappropriate for me to have asked for invitations for a friend.

Sadly, I am seeing this business model more and more. I noticed when we sailed on HAL this past June in a Vista Suite that a fruit basket was an amenity, upon request. This "upon request" changes the whole customer service experience and not for the better. To me, it screams, if there is a problem the customer will tell us, otherwise, everything is okay. This is a basic, reactive response that lacks involvement and commitment. And this mindset is starting to gain roots throughout HAL.

I don't feel that this is an entitlement issue or a rules based issue. Every crew member on a ship should be asking themselves what can I do to make a difference for this passenger? How can I add value? How can I brighten someone's day? How can I turn a simple cocktail hour or brunch into an experience that someone will not forget?

When we settle for mediocrity, we get mediocrity. I am surprised how many people willingly condone and accept it.

I completely disagree with the expectations of the poster. If you were invited to something you were entitled to and she wasn't entitled, she doesn't get an invitation. Plain and simple. If you felt that strongly about it, you could have asked the concierge or front desk if they would make an exception and send her an invite.

It is tacky and rude to criticize HAL after the fact for following their policy of inviting guests at qualify for the event. I am sure lots of people would be angry if their special was full of random people from the ship who thought they should be there just because they had a friend who sailed more than them.

If this is the only thing to complain about on your cruise then it sounds like you probably had a pretty good cruise. this seems petty to me and no point in complaining after the fact if you were not willing to do anything on the ship

This could have easily been taken care of on board at the time it happened, but rather than speak up, especially since it was of such importance, you chose to wait until you could complain here. I don't get it. I've read your posts for 10 years and you've always praised HAL for their wonderful service...seems you could cut them some slack this one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completely disagree with the expectations of the poster. If you were invited to something you were entitled to and she wasn't entitled, she doesn't get an invitation. Plain and simple. If you felt that strongly about it, you could have asked the concierge or front desk if they would make an exception and send her an invite.

It is tacky and rude to criticize HAL after the fact for following their policy of inviting guests at qualify for the event. I am sure lots of people would be angry if their special was full of random people from the ship who thought they should be there just because they had a friend who sailed more than them.

If this is the only thing to complain about on your cruise then it sounds like you probably had a pretty good cruise. this seems petty to me and no point in complaining after the fact if you were not willing to do anything on the ship

I cruised with my father on the Maasdam this past April/May. This was a 24 day Cruise and I only met one person who was not a Mariner. My father is 4 star and I am a 3 star and we were both in the same cabin.

We were both invited to welcome aboard cocktail parties.

They were both at different times. My father was invited to the 4 and 5 star cocktail party. I was invited to another cocktail party. We usually don't go anyway so it didn't matter to us.

For the Mariners brunch my father was invited to the Medalion ceremony prior to the lunch but I was not. I was invited to the lunch at the same time.

I was waiting for my father in the dining room for the brunch. Someone asked why I was sitting by myself. I told them I was waiting for my father to come from the medallion ceremony. The person being very curt said

"And you weren't there". I explained to the person that

My father was a 4 star and I was only 3. Someone from the staff came over to explain that only 4 and 5 star Mariners are invited to the Medallion Ceremony. The only medallion ceremony I was invited to was my 100 day medallion. This is something I can take it or leave it.

I would have taken my friend to the medallion ceremony.

If she is a 4 star and she was not invited that is wrong that she did not get an invitation. Since you were in a Suite I would have gone to the concierge and the front desk both.

The Veendam is not one of my favorite ships. I have found that my Cruise could be more enjoyable if I address the problems while on the Ship.

I am really sorry your friend was not invited to the Mariner brunch.