Your Opinions please. - as to invitations for travel companions.

sail7seas

Most know here I am not shy, however, I would not say something to them about what I c onsiderered an inappropriate over sight I missesd out on getting the photo at Mariners Award Ceremeony with Captain and HOTel Director. That is always my favorite momento o from all cruises ..

You missed out on getting the photo at the Mariners Award Ceremony with the Captain and Hotel Director because you refused to let HAL know about the oversight. That is a real shame, S7S, because if you spoke up, you would have brought your favourite memento home with you to treasure.

I am so confused. Maybe the answer is in here and I just missed it. I was under the impression that linking reservations is only for the MDR, so the occupants of the linked cabins can be sure of sitting with each other.

It has been my experience that HAL seems to try to keep linked parties near to each other for cabin assignment, as well (if booking gty cabins) (that can be either a blessing or a curse ;) ) But yes the primary thing in my experience is dining assignment. And there is verbage on the website that clearly indicates that I cannot "share" my star-level benefits with anyone who is not in my cabin, on my booking number.

The OP (topic of thread) was asking for opinions on bringing a traveling companion (not in the same cabin) to social events and people have given their opinions.

No, she was expressing her displeasure that HAL didn't do something she expected, despite never mentioning it to anyone while she was on the ship.

they could extend a courtesy to me and to my friend who is also a repeater Mariner. If I was invtied to a party, she also should have been. I KNOW what I could have done to correct the mattter but that is humiliating, rude and crass andII should not have had to remedy their sloppiness.

Bottom line....complaining after the fact and after the cruise is completed IMHO no longer gives you the right to complain because you have not even given the on board cruise line staff or management an opportunity to address the issue. It is not fair to the cruise line.

Like someone else said, they are not mind readers. Sitting and stewing about it for days afterwards is quite pointless. I have no doubt this things like this happen on HAL. After all, their IT systems are a far cry from state of the art and that is what they depend on to provide accurate passenger and past customer data.

It has been my experience that HAL seems to try to keep linked parties near to each other for cabin assignment, as well (if booking gty cabins) (that can be either a blessing or a curse ;) ) But yes the primary thing in my experience is dining assignment. And there is verbage on the website that clearly indicates that I cannot "share" my star-level benefits with anyone who is not in my cabin, on my booking number.
Thank you.

I've always said, "If you don't ask, you don't get".

PS to CBR - Regarding the Pan Pacific, on the way home from Alaska, as it was summer my friend ordered the "Summer Heirloom Tomato Salad" in their nice restaurant. Guess what the salad was missing...tomatoes. Not a single slice nor chunk! He spoke up, and the waiter promptly brought the correct salad.

Don't sweat the small stuff and most stuff is small. (i.e. missed lunch invite). I would wager that neither of you missed a meal that day. Wonder how many people in this world could not say that?

2,638,479,971 people although of that number 1,452,365,879 were on a diet and deliberately missed a meal.

Absolutely. Talk about a first world problem. We would be embarrassed to raise it on a public forum. It speaks to how incredibly fortunate we are......are many do not even realize it.

Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OP asks for opinions on whether her companion should have received certain invitations. She suggests that it is a sign of sloppy service.

Replies that she should not complain here because she didn't address the issue on board may be constructive, or were perhaps intended to be so, but they are not addressing the post. These replies may be offering sound opinions, but they are peripheral.

I couldn't know, but maybe the degree to which the situation was irksome settled in after the cruise was over. I think everyone has experienced something like this, be it cruise-related or not.

It used to be that social events such as weddings came with invitations that said +1, I assume so those not married could bring a companion and not go alone. Most who have spoken do not think this should be allowed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't recall that any invitations that we have received for either suite or Mariner parties stated "+1." I would not expect to take an uninvited guest to any function, although in all honesty, I don't see anyone getting upset about missing a Mariner brunch.

The OP asks for opinions on whether her companion should have received certain invitations. She suggests that it is a sign of sloppy service.

Replies that she should not complain here because she didn't address the issue on board may be constructive, or were perhaps intended to be so, but they are not addressing the post. These replies may be offering sound opinions, but they are peripheral.

I couldn't know, but maybe the degree to which the situation was irksome settled in after the cruise was over. I think everyone has experienced something like this, be it cruise-related or not.

Exactly. You get it by reading the title of the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When OP characterised a minor administrative oversight, that her friend made no effort to correct, and a failure to gratuitously invite the friend to an activity she wasn't entitled to attend as:

IMO, The ffront office made a bad mistake and I suffered for it.

it is hardly surprising that she didn't get a very sympathetic hearing.

Bad mistake??? Suffered???

But then again, sometimes folks would rather curse the darkness than turn on the light.

When OP characterised a minor administrative oversight, that her friend made no effort to correct, and a failure to gratuitously invite the friend to an activity she wasn't entitled to attend as:

But then again, sometimes folks would rather curse the darkness than turn on the light.

Yup. You definitely "got it".

Thanks for putting it so clearly and succintly.

+1

May everyone that thinks the OP is culpable for not making an effort to correct it during the cruise find themselves, on their next cruise, in line at the front desk or on the phone calling it, with an issue which requires, subjectively or objectively, some effort to correct.

May everyone that thinks the OP is culpable for not making an effort to correct it during the cruise find themselves, on their next cruise, in line at the front desk or on the phone calling it, with an issue which requires, subjectively or objectively, some effort to correct.

As the OP was in a Neptune Suite she had no need to venture very far past her cabin door. The Concierge in the Neptune Lounge would fixed the problem immediately , but she felt it was too humiliating to her to ask. Unfortunately she missed out on her favourite part of her cruise - having her photo taken with the Captain.

That's what one does to correct a problem! ;) Do you think the ship's staff can read minds?

I was at Guest Relations just yesterday (Celebrity Equinox) to question a charge. It wasn't difficult or embarrassing. I was nice, the rep was nice, and the mistake was corrected within a minute. Nothing could have been more embarrassing than posting a screed on the internet that makes you look like a passive aggressive entitled drama queen.

Mistakes will always be made. The measure of an enterprise is how those mistakes are dealt with. Not bringing the mistake to the attention of the enterprise (passive) and then publicly attacking the enterprise (aggressive) is rarely going to get the reaction OP wanted.

Her whole message can be summarized in one sentence: "Don't they know who I am?"

I was at Guest Relations just yesterday (Celebrity Equinox) to question a charge. It wasn't difficult or embarrassing. I was nice, the rep was nice, and the mistake was corrected within a minute. Nothing could have been more embarrassing than posting a screed on the internet that makes you look like a passive aggressive entitled drama queen.

Mistakes will always be made. The measure of an enterprise is how those mistakes are dealt with. Not bringing the mistake to the attention of the enterprise (passive) and then publicly attacking the enterprise (aggressive) is rarely going to get the reaction OP wanted.

Her whole message can be summarized in one sentence: "Don't they know who I am?"

I bolded your last sentence because these are exactly my thoughts!:cool:

There would have been no need to stand in line at the front desk, that is what the Concierge is for!

Maybe it's time to put this to rest although we all have our own opinions. Sail hasn't posted to it for about 5 days; perhaps we should take her lead.

Roy

No, apparently we've beaten the horse to death. Then we beat the dead horse. Now we're just trying to figure out what's going to wear out first, the carcass of the horse or the beating sticks. ;)

No, apparently we've beaten the horse to death. Then we beat the dead horse. Now we're just trying to figure out what's going to wear out first, the carcass of the horse or the beating sticks. ;)

The proverbial pile on :cool: