A New Radiance Class Please

Alan13

First of all anyone can cruise on the ship that appeals to them. I am not saying that every ship should be Radiance Class. It is nice to have a variety of ships!

I just watched the Technology Live program from Germany on Quantum of the Seas. Yes, it is the latest in high tech with a robot bar, robot screens, bumper cars, north star, ripcord, smart IQ, virtual balcony in all inside staterooms, etc.

Richard Fain even said Quantum would appeal to millenials because they can skype, watch netflix on their smartphones and so on.

For me, that does not work! I can find all the latest technology at home. I can go to an amusement park for rides. I go on a cruise to get away from stimulation. I like to walk, relax, swim, read a book, play trivia, eat, go to shows, admire the artwork, meet fellow passenger, look at the ocean, breathe the clean air and of course many other things.

I love the Radiance Class because the ships are beautiful with lots of glass. It's just the right size and easy to get around. I'm okay with the Freedom Class also.

But I hope that the wave of the future is not more rides and gadgets. I hope that Royal will think of their passengers that just want the simplicity of cruising!

Well said! The largest ship that we have been on is Voyager class. Radiance is also our favorite, it has just enough of the extras for us and love the views with all the glass.

I just can't talk myself into the mega-ships. Maybe some day if we cruise with the grandkids it might appeal to me then. Until then we will continue to enjoy the smaller ships which fit our style at this pint in our lives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We cruise to get away from technology, phones, iPads (work), cruising for us is all about disconnecting from it all.

Nice to have new tech stuff onboard, for those who cannot let go I suppose;)

Robots sound like fun:rolleyes:

Will probably do Quantum or Anthem in 5 years once all has settled.

Another Radiance Class ship would be a great addition to the fleet IMHO.

Edited by PompeySailor

Was hoping someone else would comment and we see many of the same thoughts we have.

I guess we are a dying breed: We cruise to see the world. All the new toys that they are rolling out are within 5 feet of where I sit right now. And cost me nothing.

Perhaps they could build a slight larger version of the Radiance Class yet keep what we all love about this Class, with maybe a few extras. I am pass the days of Bumper Cars and don't need all the Bells & Whistles. Oh well we can dream.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Was hoping someone else would comment and we see many of the same thoughts we have.

I guess we are a dying breed: We cruise to see the world. All the new toys that they are rolling out are within 5 feet of where I sit right now. And cost me nothing.

I love the Radiance class. I enjoyed my week on the Allure, but won't be rushing back to that ship. My next two cruises are on the Serenade. I might try Anthem in a few more years if the itinerary is right.

We have cruised 6 times on ships similar in size to Radiance class. Summit and Constellation on Celebrity, Zuiderdam on Holland America and most recently Jewel. I love this size ship. I cruise to feel like I am on a ship. Jewel was fantastic with great views. There is plenty to do without feeling like I am on a floating amusement park. I am afraid those of us with our views are becoming a minority as most builds now seem to be a bigger is better mindset. Not sure where that will leave me down the road. For now I can anticipate Serenade in the spring.

We definitely prefer the smaller ships where the emphasis is on what's outside, not what's inside. Of our most recent 15 past and future cruises on Royal, the breakdown by class:

5 - Sovereign

4 - Vision

4 - Radiance

1 - Voyager

We might go on an Oasis class once if one moves to Port Canaveral and has a cheap sale (much the same reason we're on that one Voyager class; Explorer's briefly moving to PC and the deal on one cruise was too good to pass up, especially going somewhere we haven't been before), but otherwise we have little interest in any of the promenade ships (aka "floating malls").

I'm with you, Alan13. And when I saw the title 'World's First Smartship!', I immediately knew what was coming:

There is a ship that provides blazing fast connectivity at sea to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Vine. A ship that lets its guests download streaming music and videos from the cloud, Netflix, Hulu and more at speeds equal to those on land. A ship that lets you play Xbox Live with other gamers anywhere around the world. A ship where technology is there at every turn to make the guest experience richer than ever before. This isn’t a ship- it's a Smartship. This is Quantum of the Seas SM. This changes everything.

They're exactly right, 'this isn't a ship'. :rolleyes: I love the Radiance class ships, and will treasure our cruise next year on the beautiful Jewel...

Well said! The largest ship that we have been on is Voyager class. Radiance is also our favorite, it has just enough of the extras for us and love the views with all the glass.

I just can't talk myself into the mega-ships. Maybe some day if we cruise with the grandkids it might appeal to me then. Until then we will continue to enjoy the smaller ships which fit our style at this pint in our lives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

enjoy. good point.

Every line differentiates itself in different ways. For RCI, they are the "Wow" ships. So if you're not into the "wow", you might try another line, but it wouldn't make good business sense for them to make new ships without any discernible difference from other cruise lines' ships.

Just read the posts here. More and more people are "cruising for the ship". They want size and gimmicks and something to "entertain" them non-stop. RCCL is building to meet this demand. Expect more cheesy "entertainment" like a stupid pod that goes up in the air to nowhere and does nothing. Fewer ports. RCCL is happy to meet this demand, they make more money when people stay on board.

But I hope that the wave of the future is not more rides and gadgets. I hope that Royal will think of their passengers that just want the simplicity of cruising!

Obviously that is the wave of the future, whether we like it or not. I doubt we'll ever sail Oasis or Allure, no interest in the size, limited ports, ziplines, or 6000 fellow passengers. But clearly they are popular so expect more of the same. Hopefully the Radiance, Explorer and Freedom class will be kept around for a while, we have no interest in any of the glitzy new amusement parks.

I love the Radiance Class because the ships are beautiful with lots of glass. It's just the right size and easy to get around. I'm okay with the Freedom Class also.

The good thing for you is, Radiance ships should be in the fleet for at least another 15 years.

RCI has SO much variety in their fleet. I just dont understand all the Quantum bashing but being around here for a while, we saw it with Oasis class too :rolleyes:

Is there gonna be a new group here made that vows NEVER to sail on a Quantum class ship only to cave in a few months or a year later and sail on one anyway only to find out it is now their favorite class?

For me personally, the ONLY things I dont like about Quantum class is they are still way too expensive and there isnt one going to FL as a homeport.

Edited by ryano

My wife and I like the smaller ships too. I don't like the idea of a ship being so crowded that I have to make reservations for everything. a lot of people don't realize that these larger ships do have more to offer but most of the size is actually for all the rooms added and that there is less room per person on the ship then on ships like vision or radiance class. We like being on the ships that don't feel overcrowded

Agree with many of you ... love the Radiance and Freedom class ships...I too don't care about the latest technology/amusement park themes and also the price you're expected to pay for them...Cruised for the first time on Oasis (Oct 2013) only because I got such a great deal...would I have otherwise...probably not.

I'm still trying to figure out the electronics on my car. I don't want to have to do it while I'm on vacation, too. I hope that a lot of the bells and whistles are optional - more power to anybody who can figure them out quickly.

I don't like OA/AL but will concede to DH on occasion - I suspect the same will happen with Quantum. In return, I get to pick the exotic itineraries that the "small" "old" RCI ships sail.:)

I've been on all four Radiance class ships and it is by far my favorite class. That being said, we leave in 12 days for a B2B on the Freedom. Perhaps that will become my new favorite, but I'm assuming I will have a great time and love the ship with the Radiance class continuing to be my top choice. We will see. :)

Some of these newer ships are starting to remind of me of the movie Wall-E. As others of said, I cruise to get away from the norm and don't like to be "connected" while on vacation (and I've been in software engineering for 16 years, so I really do enjoy technology).

Edited by lv2bcruzin

For me personally, the ONLY things I dont like about Quantum class is they are still way too expensive and there isnt one going to FL as a homeport.

Quantum is on next week's sale list for its 11/2 transatlantic, under $1000pp

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

:D

Edited by pspercy

We also like Radiance class most and have traveled on all of them many times.

My wish is that the very nice "TUI Mein Schiff 3" class that have a similar size at 99.000 tons, also belong to RCCL Group and are built by the same yard group (now all Meyer Werft) will become the basis for a new smaller RCL ship in the near future.

It does not make sense to continue only with such big ships unless RCL wants to stop cruising to many beautiful areas and ports around the world in the future. My perfect cruise is indeed not seven days again and again with St. Thomas and St. Maarten only... Same in Europe, many nice ports will always be reachable by reasonable sized ships only (e.g. Bergen, Stockholm, Venice, Villefranche, Salerno).