Is Island Princess really that bad??

dg33

We are booked on the 15 day cruisetour in Alaska in August. We sailed on the Island a few years back through the Panama Canal and loved it. As I didn't research which ship to take already knowing the Island, I am so discouraged by the refit I am hearing about:rolleyes: And, of course, we have invited friends to join us telling them how much we enjoyed the ship.

If anyone is on the Island now or has been recently, can you give me any hope for a reasonable experience??

Thanks.

I would tell you to read my review but it has yet to be posted by Cruise Critic. Don't book one of the new cabins. The ship and cruise was fine (with limited exceptions) except for the disaster of a cabin. Here is what I posted on July 6:

There is quite a bit of discussion here about the retrofit of the Island Princess, which added about 131 cabins but eliminated the ability to walk around the Promenade Deck and eliminated public space. There is some discussion of vibration in the aft cabins. Well, we had one of those aft cabins, and here is my review (which was posted to cabin reviews, as well). In short, cabin C731, an aft mini-suite, is a disaster.

On the plus side, it is all the way aft, so the balcony faces both Starboard and aft, which is great for canal viewing or simply watching the wake. This is a mini-suite, with two flat screens (one with a visible picture defect). For entertainment, we would put Fox on one and MSNBC on the other so they could amuse themselves.

There is very adequate storage (we could not fill it all) and we brought formal wear. (If you only have one flight, and American allows us two free bags each, then it is easy to bring stuff.) The bed is very comfortable.

There are no outlets easily accessible next to the bed. There are outlets at the desk (two American, one European), and we bring a power strip (not a surge protector, see other threads on this topic). We both have Apple iWatches which do not charge properly in the vibrating environment. (More below.) While we did not use it, the sofa opens into a twin size bed.

However:

1. Rattles: The cabin suffers from vibration, which we do not mind, and numerous rattles which we do mind. Construction defects in the walls left stuff banging. Very annoying at night. According to the head of customer service, C731 is known to Princess as a “noisy cabin.” Prior guests or staff have improvised all sorts of fixes to limit the noise, including stuffing a can opener in the light fixture to keep a ceiling panel from rattling. (Yes, not only do I have pictures, but staff took pictures to send to HQ, although HQ disputes that it has the pictures.) This problem cannot be resolved.

2. Broken Refrigerator: The refrigerator failed. Hey, it did not work when we first walked in the door. It would regularly turn itself off as it overheated. This is another design defect (per the staff), since the cabinet the refrigerator is in does not allow for sufficient heat circulation, so it regularly shuts off. The staff insists it is not really a refrigerator, but is really a cooler, since it uses the Peltier effect to achieve cooling rather than using a refrigerant and a condenser. Customer relations staff suggested leaving the cabinet door open to improve air circulation, but that did not work. Nevertheless, the ship refrigeration guy, who explained all this to me, tested the temperature with two open ice buckets inside, and it registered 59 degrees F. So I observed it wasn’t much of a cooler, either. (A Peltier effect cooler should lower the interior temperature under optimum conditions by about 25 degrees F, so if you keep your room at 75 degrees F, it should be at 50 degrees F.) Since I carry medicine with me that needs refrigeration, our steward provided ice buckets with regularity. The refrigerator was finally replaced with a brand-new refrigerator, plastic wrapping still on, after six days after near daily complaints. Do not despair, though. If you are English and prefer your beer at room temperature, this little cooler will deliver.

3. No hot water: Despite the warm Caribbean sun and warm refrigerator, hot water in the bathroom was merely a rumor. There was no hot water when we first arrived, which meant the water was colder than the refrigerator. We had numerous days without hot water, and occasionally took showers in the men's and ladies locker rooms in the spa, three decks up. These are the only public showers on the ship. The ship plumbers visited regularly. Sometimes we had hot water after ten or 12 minutes of running the water full blast. Sometimes never. On the last day of the cruise, having made a scene because the staff blew a specific appointment, two plumbers labored 30 minutes to get the water to 110 degrees F. (At home, my hot water heaters—I have two—are set to 140 degrees F.) On occasion, we heard that hot water had failed in cabins near us as well. This appears to be a design defect from the retrofit. The time of day was irrelevant to the existence of hot water. We started keeping notes of when we called and who we spoke to, and had at least thirty interactions with the staff (not including our steward) about the hot water situation.

4. Flood: A pipe broke on the other side of the ship, leading to a puddle of water in our cabin. It took four days to get someone to attend to it. Puddle as in by the 4th day we could splash. And no, the leaking water was not hot, so it was not like fixing the leak solved the hot water problem. This took four days and multiple requests to fix.

5. “Rain” on the Balcony: For two days we have water dripping down on our balcony. At first, we thought it was a passing rain shower, but we soon figured out it was coming from the ship. This was fixed (without explanation) after two days, and involved “balcony maintenance” per the notice we received for several dozen cabins on our deck.

To the credit of the senior customer relations staff, they were always polite and professional. They provided a significant on-board credit on two occasions, and promised that there would be further follow-up from the Manager of Customer Service in Santa Clarita (and not a staff person), chiefly because of the hot water issue. Front desk staff were no different than that on any other ship. On several occasions, they thought we should wait in our cabin for maintenance people to fix cabin problems.

To the dis-credit of Princess, we were not contacted by Princess upon our return, as promised by the customer relations manager on the ship. Two e-mails to customer service elicited immediate form responses promising contact within 2-3 business days. No one contacted us. I generally am not fond of folks who make promises they don’t keep.

A letter to Jan Swartz finally delivered a belated contact from a customer relations staffer who pretty much had a wholly different story from the Manager on the ship. She did, however, provide an additional FCC, which was promptly applied to our next cruise. From our perspective, we are still owed a call from the actual head of customer service because that was promised on several occasions.

In November of last year, DH and I spent 19 days on the Island. This was cruise #57 for me. It was honestly one of the best cruises that I have ever been on. We had one of the new balcony cabins on the Promenade deck. We loved our room. Everything in our cabin was brand new and worked perfectly. Our experience was the exact opposite of the previous poster's. We had no complaints whatsoever.

We had a table for two in late seating traditional dining. Our servers were excellent and we never had to worry about waiting for a table. The Explorer's lounge can get crowded, so I would suggest going early. I love Crooner's and the Bayou Cafe. We had excellent service in both venues.

I wouldn't hesitate to book another cruise on the Island.

We are booked on the 15 day cruisetour in Alaska in August. We sailed on the Island a few years back through the Panama Canal and loved it. As I didn't research which ship to take already knowing the Island, I am so discouraged by the refit I am hearing about:rolleyes: And, of course, we have invited friends to join us telling them how much we enjoyed the ship.

If anyone is on the Island now or has been recently, can you give me any hope for a reasonable experience??

Thanks.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2510106&highlight=is+the+island+bad

In November of last year, DH and I spent 19 days on the Island. This was cruise #57 for me. It was honestly one of the best cruises that I have ever been on. We had one of the new balcony cabins on the Promenade deck. We loved our room. Everything in our cabin was brand new and worked perfectly. Our experience was the exact opposite of the previous poster's. We had no complaints whatsoever.

We had a table for two in late seating traditional dining. Our servers were excellent and we never had to worry about waiting for a table. The Explorer's lounge can get crowded, so I would suggest going early. I love Crooner's and the Bayou Cafe. We had excellent service in both venues.

I wouldn't hesitate to book another cruise on the Island.

I was on the same cruise and it was great. Other friends had one of the new cabins and loved it. Loved the cabin and location. We were seated in the dining room very near "partybarbie" and had one of the best waitstaff we've had in years.

I, too, wouldn't hesitate to book her again.

Thank you to all of you who took the time to post! We do not have one of the new cabins so I won't experience the good or the bad of that. I will say we had a mini on the Diamond on a cruise in Asia and the vibrations were horrible!! We did get moved so the trip was great after that.

I feel so much better- especially because we invited friends. Thanks again!! So relieved;p

We did 12 nights on the Island, it was the 3rd cruise post dry-dock. We were in the new Penthouse suite L721, we had the best cruise ever. Yes there is aft vibration however we didn't think it was anything different from what we usually experience. Ship didn't feel crowded as that was a concern of some. I wouldn't hesitate from doing another on her.

Our neighbors loved their cruise on the Island post retrofit. I think I'd be disappointed in it and will not look for cruises on it. But if we happen to come across a bargain for an itinerary we wanted on the Island, I'd book it.

I was on the Island for 15 nights in December and had a great time. Everything was good except for the hard mattresses. I love the new Princess mattresses and the Island hadn't been changed over at that time. I'm not sure when she'll be changed. I didn't see what all the negative talk was about. I did have an old cabin. I thought the new gym was fine even though there was no view. Food and service was all good. I was worried, but thoroughly enjoyed my cruise.

May I suggest that anyone who has had a particularly bad (or good) cabin experience, post the information to the Princess Cabin Review thread.

I have found it very helpful and I'm confident other Princess cruisers would also.

We have done so. The vibration did not both us. It was the rattles that bothered us, where stuff had not been tied down properly. The PSD described our cabin as a known "noisy cabin." That's coupled with a serious hot water problem, and a defective "refrigerator."

I have never sailed on Island, but I have sailed Coral many times. Now IF Princess did the same alterations to Coral, I would never sail on her again!!!

For starters The Universe Lounge, is IMO the best theater, big or small that I have been in.

With the added passengers, the dining room size remains the same, hence it would be almost impossible, unless one books very early to get the ever popular first seating at dinner.

These points added to those already mentioned shows that the Island is now but a mere shadow of her former self.

Shame on Princess!!!

I have been on the island twice - before and after refurbishment. I did not care for the refurbishment and it did seem to diminish rather than enhance the cruise experience. That being said it is not a deal killer for me and since it is primarily routed to Alaska and the Panama Canal it is unlikely to be on my wish list in the near future since I am looking at other itineraries.

The pluses were the indoor pool and the quality of the service. The seafood choices were very good.

On the other ships I am finding I like things like vines, salty dog, a gym looking over the ocean and look forward to trying some of the other modest cost food options. It is unfortunate a couple of those options were not added to the island to offset diminishing the experience elsewhere. The island remains a good experience just a diminished experience that a new cruiser would probably not notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never sailed on Island, but I have sailed Coral many times. Now IF Princess did the same alterations to Coral, I would never sail on her again!!!

For starters The Universe Lounge, is IMO the best theater, big or small that I have been in.

With the added passengers, the dining room size remains the same, hence it would be almost impossible, unless one books very early to get the ever popular first seating at dinner.

These points added to those already mentioned shows that the Island is now but a mere shadow of her former self.

Shame on Princess!!!

Although I do detest that they got rid of the Universe Lounge, I found it to be a pretty bad venue. Sight lines were poor and sitting on the second level was fairly awful with the glass surround and all the pillars. Never could find a good seat without having to crane the neck.

I am an easygoing person/cruiser, but I will NEVER again sail on the Island Princess. The overcrowding in all public areas is just a deal breaker for us. We loved the Coral and it is a crying shame they did this to a great ship.

I am an easygoing person/cruiser, but I will NEVER again sail on the Island Princess. The overcrowding in all public areas is just a deal breaker for us. We loved the Coral and it is a crying shame they did this to a great ship.

Overcrowding would be true. The Island [along with Coral] had, more space per passenger than any other ship in the fleet.

As a footnote, my understanding was that that when these ships were built there were supposed to be,FOUR in total, but the last two were cancelled.I guess that Princess did not care for the Passenger/Tonnage ratio.

We will be on the Island Princess --in 1 month--we will let you know our experience--taking the Island from Whittier to Vancouver--Aug 23rd--30th--we are excited--2nd cruise--1st on Princess--we will have a great time no matter what!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Overcrowding would be true. The Island [along with Coral] had, more space per passenger than any other ship in the fleet.

As a footnote, my understanding was that that when these ships were built there were supposed to be,FOUR in total, but the last two were cancelled.I guess that Princess did not care for the Passenger/Tonnage ratio.

Well, they were being built when the company was bought out by Carnival Corp., so it was probably Carnival that nixed two more Coral-class ships.

We will be on the Island Princess --in 1 month--we will let you know our experience--taking the Island from Whittier to Vancouver--Aug 23rd--30th--we are excited--2nd cruise--1st on Princess--we will have a great time no matter what!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We will be joining you on this cruise following the 8 day Connoisseur land tour! I'm with you, GrandmaLUU- we will have a great time!

Thanks.

We sailed the Island 7 days on the Voyage of the Glaciers Alaska in 2016 and 15 days through the Panama Canal December 2016-January 2017.

On the Alaskan trip I was amazed at how beautiful College fiord was. I didn't hear anything of it prior. Everyone wrote about Glacier Bay. I thought College fiord was much nicer. We stayed a week in Anchorage and rented a car. It was one of the most jaw dropping gorgeous places I've been to (I travel a bit).

Anyway, on the Island we always found deck lounge chairs, we always found a seat for the shows and at the bars. We only found the photo area to be overly crowed. Otherwise we never felt crowded.

We don't use the elevators so if there's an impact because of added passengers on that we wouldn't know.

Yes the lack of a promenade and the gym with out a view are less than ideal. I missed the International Cafe a little bit.

BUT, the aft suites on Aloha and Lido decks are some of the best in the fleet. The decks are humongous. I didn't appreciate how large until I sailed in a few other suites. I kept wishing I was back on the Island. I've found, that at least for me, as much as I love the wake view I need to be on deck 12 or above for the noise and vibration to be soothing and not annoying.

We are still exploring suites on other Princess ships (and Cunard and Viking Ocean). But I just booked a Pacific Coastal on the Island for 2019 with the sip and sail in Lido 721.

The Island crew has in my experience been just top notch exceeding all expectations. Also, we've met great people on the Island, that we still stay engaged with.

Cruises are what you make them and I'm sure you and your friends will have a great time. Focus on the positive and the negatives won't matter.